Homes for Independent Living Employee Reviews

it was awful
Independent Living Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIOctober 9, 2018
the people were rude and most of the caregivers don't even care about the residents. The SILA at my house was lazy and never helped us with anything. her and i got into an argument
For a company that provides care, hil has no compassion for employees
DSS (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 27, 2018
Having my MBA in Marketing and over 35 years of management experience (In my last corporate position, I was a VP of Marketing for a $2.3B company based in Los Angeles), I understand that an employee’s job performance increases with recognition, appreciation, and simple words like “thanks,” “awesome,” and “nice!” A happy employee is a productive employee. When management is constantly writing up employees, being critical, castigating them infront of peers and guardians, and even stating they know absolutely nothing about their staff, the only culture they’re cultivating is a hostile work environment and a miserable place to work. Words of advice to HIL upper management... When the president of any company sees a pile of trash as he walks into a crowded employee lunchroom and then can look for a broom with a dust pan and proceed to humbly clean it up himself, his humility will earn him so much more than what bullying and fear could, would or ever will. HIL doesn’t understand that principle.
Pros
Serving those who need our help.
Cons
Management. Unreliable staff. Poor training
Careless
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WISeptember 24, 2018
I love caregiving but the managers of this company have absolutely no communication and are careless about their employees. Extremely unprofessional, and have been ignoring me about receiving any pay
Under paid, stressful, physically & mentally draining job
Caregiver (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WISeptember 20, 2018
Always under staffed, probably because of the LOW PAY. This type of work can be rewarding but extremely difficult. Especially when under staffed meaning you will have to work double hard to make up for it
I had worked for the company for 7 years only to earn a 1.70 raise by the time i quite...
Pros
Outing reimbersed, up to an amount
Cons
Given more hours than wanted because of no shows.
They show no appreciation....no holiday...only care about money
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WISeptember 9, 2018
This is not a place to work if you want any kind of benifits they hire dont care who they hire would rather let clients suffer then get med attention can only adavance if you been caught stealing money from hil or other company's
Never thought possible!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 31, 2018
On the first day I had already witnessed numerous incidents that made me seriously question working for the company. After much thought and reflection I decided its not the right place for me.
Very comfortable setting to work in.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 28, 2018
I liked working at this job because I was able to help the less fortunate, and still be able to help others do the same by training them, Great place to work.
It can be hard
Insured the staff (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 22, 2018
Caring for others is not a job for everyone. The home health care industry has a fast turnover rate for a reason. Many people come into this industry thinking it is an easy paycheck. Somedays yes it is easy, others days you will hate your job. Those that truly care for what they are doing will stay, those that are just there for a paycheck move on.
The clients are great!
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WIAugust 22, 2018
This is one of those jobs where if your heart isn't in it its not for you. This is a very demanding job. Some clients are more capable of doing things on their own but more you have to do everything for them. If you cant handle being on your feet and dealing with the short staff sometimes this would not be the job for you.
support
care giver (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 17, 2018
Homes for independent living is a nice place too work. And they are willing to work with your schdule. they have ptop time time off so that you are still getting paid for your time off.
fun enviorment while workig with clients
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WI 53177August 16, 2018
this is a fast paced and very fun place to work for. the clients are amazing and the experience they give you is above and beyond anything. I worked in three of the homes for clients and everyone was a life changing experience
Very productive place to work.
Medical Assistant/ Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 13, 2018
When working here you have to have a good heart and patience for people with special needs. Management aren't always flexible with their personal schedule. If the next scheduled staff member does not come in for shift management will expect staff to figure it out.
veral abuse
resident care (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIAugust 8, 2018
staff and clients were very verbally and phsical abusive....didnt get paid enough for all the work we put in there. We had to do alot more then dsps are suppose to do for wat little pay we get.
Better jobs available. Don't work here.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Racine County, WIAugust 7, 2018
The management will treat you like they like you, but talk behind your back. You get scheduled when you aren't available, and they don't acknowledge your hard work. The residents are awesome, and definitely make working here worth it, but the silas are power hungry. I wish I knew all of this before accepting the job. I would have gone somewhere else.
Pros
Fun residents
Cons
Far too many
I do not recommend
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJuly 30, 2018
First, they do not let you know how violent the clients are and what they will do to you. The pay is decent, but for how stressful it is, it's not worth it. Management only cares about the clients safety, not the staff's safety. If you bring up concerns they brush it off and dont directly address them. Some of the coworkers get clients involved in drama or tell them lies about other staff to get the client to target the other staff.
Also, they will schedule you outside of your availability that you get hired for. If you are sick, you have to find your own coverage. If you are at work and have an emergency and have to leave, they make you find your own coverage and will not let you leave until somebody can get there and work for you.
A couple of the supervisors at other houses were better. But the negatives outweigh the positives by far.
My advice to the company is, if you want to keep staff and not keep losing good workers, at least act like you care about the staff (and the staff's safety) as much as you care about the clients.
Pros
You can dress comfy at work
Cons
Too many
Love working with my co-workers and management
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 16, 2018
The work place is a fun environment to work in but like any other job it has it pros and cons. I love my managers and co workers. Love the client's and the outing we go on.
I loved working here!!!!!
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WIMay 30, 2018
This was by far the best place I have ever worked at in a while.
My favorite was the clients I loved working with them they were fun
I loved the workers
My manger she was awesome we got a long so well
Nice place to work, but underpaid for the amount of hours worked.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMay 19, 2018
I loved what I did while working here, but felt that the hours I worked wasn’t compensated enough through pay. I loved my clients and all of the job responsibilities I held!
Fun at Homes for Independent Living
Independent Living Aid (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIMay 8, 2018
A high stress environment is a possibility when working with this company, but the people you work with make it worth while. Outings are planned and enjoyed by all.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Can be stressful
Over view
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WIApril 22, 2018
I started working part time at HIL and then I went to full time. I love my residents and what I was doing there. Co workers where their and present at all times.
Pros
Loved my residents
Cons
some houses managment was lacking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homes for Independent Living. Our community is ready to answer.