Homes for Independent Living Employee Reviews

great job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMarch 22, 2019
i loved working for this company the comapssion they show for each client is amazing.in my time there i really connected with the clients they are all wonderful people
Pros
clients/ outtings/ the bond you make with the clients
to many feelings not enough business
DSS (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIFebruary 19, 2019
to many women managers making decisions based on feels
managers LIE way to much
you may not be able to go home after your shift people come when they want to.
way to much gossip an not enough working
they dont care about you as a person
Pros
bonding with the clients an teaching an learning from them everyday
Cons
not being able to go home for days, the worst management team in the world, stressful to the max, the most cold heartened people i have ever met in my life.
Good place to work, fullfilling job!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  West Bend, WIJanuary 17, 2019
Its a tough business, but HIL is the best in what they do. Very dedicated staff who work hard. Supervisors need to work with caregivers and listen to them. Clients are wonderful but can be very challenging. PTO policy is great, and they now offer Holiday Pay in addition to the PTO.
Pros
developing relationships with clients, getting to take them into the community and getting paid for it
Cons
Industry doesn't pay great
Horrible management and awful hours
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  West Bend, WIJanuary 1, 2019
There is constantly no staff at this company so they will put staff on the floor working only 1 person with 4-7 clients, most of which need full assistance. The management does not care about client or staff welfare. At one house the manager would go on vacation three or four times a year, telling staff they had to cover the hours while she was gone or she would write them up. There is a ton of staff on staff gossip and management is the worst for this. They will talk about staff members to other staff members or share personal information that was meant to be between the staff member and the supervisor.
Pros
plenty of hours
Cons
No breaks, short staffed, poor management
Please dont hurt your own feelings.......
Cbrf Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2018
I worked there for 4 months and lordt it was the worst! Upper management dont know how to treat employees. A lot of gossip and I'm the type to stay to myself. I was mandated to do 2nd shift route on a bus that I had to teach myself how to drive. They lie to lure u in but never receive full benefits promised. Constant schedule changes and to many responsibilities for one person. Loved clients but couldn't deal with the repeated disrespect from upper management. Be expected to not have a life, and your kids to miss u. Family emergencies they dont care about. They hate for employees to tell them no if asked to work on off days and doubles. I've gotten so attached to the clients that it broke my heart to leave....I'll miss them but I just couldn't see a long term commitment with a company that doesn't appreciate the employees. Get your money and run!
Pros
Clients
Cons
Horrible managemant, stressful, and way to many cons.
love staff and clients
Member of a behavioral health team (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 10, 2018
assisted with the personal care of the mentally challenged. Set up the work schedule for staff payroll, time off. Documented all behavioural issues of client monitor medications and bank accounts outgoing and incoming status. Set up menu, doctors appointments and provided personal hygiene items. The hardest part was the clients deceased or being taken from the facility, The most enjoyable part was the interaction and challenges that the clients overcame with the mental disabilities.
Pros
great staff
Cons
heavy lifting at times
More pros than cons.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Weston, WIOctober 18, 2018
I've enjoyed my time at HIL so far. I enjoy taking care of the person I'm assigned to and like the one on one staffing. They provide all training, and submit certifications to the state registry, PTO is great and very competive for the field. Negatives would be traveling 3 hours round trip for classes, they do pay mileage but if you're taking a company vehicle that's 6 hours per day of unpaid work related time. The other negative for my program specifically is the NEGATIVITY it's almost constant from half of my co-workers. They seem to have nothing good to say about the job or our member and it can be extremely frustrating. They offer complaints but not solutions which is a huge pet peeve. I just don't know how long I can handle the cattiness and the total lack of empathy or respect between shifts. It really makes me miss my last job and the family feel we had for over 6 years.
Pros
Active job, rewarding, good benefits, 7 on/7 off schedule, great supervisor.
Cons
Unpleasant peers, Travel for training.
it was awful
Independent Living Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIOctober 9, 2018
the people were rude and most of the caregivers don't even care about the residents. The SILA at my house was lazy and never helped us with anything. her and i got into an argument
For a company that provides care, hil has no compassion for employees
DSS (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 27, 2018
Having my MBA in Marketing and over 35 years of management experience (In my last corporate position, I was a VP of Marketing for a $2.3B company based in Los Angeles), I understand that an employee’s job performance increases with recognition, appreciation, and simple words like “thanks,” “awesome,” and “nice!” A happy employee is a productive employee. When management is constantly writing up employees, being critical, castigating them infront of peers and guardians, and even stating they know absolutely nothing about their staff, the only culture they’re cultivating is a hostile work environment and a miserable place to work. Words of advice to HIL upper management... When the president of any company sees a pile of trash as he walks into a crowded employee lunchroom and then can look for a broom with a dust pan and proceed to humbly clean it up himself, his humility will earn him so much more than what bullying and fear could, would or ever will. HIL doesn’t understand that principle.
Pros
Serving those who need our help.
Cons
Management. Unreliable staff. Poor training
Fun place to work, rewarding daily
Service coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WISeptember 24, 2018
I have enjoyed the time I have worked at HIL. I have learned a lot from my colleagues. I enjoyed providing support to the individuals that resided at the houses I oversaw.
Pros
Sense of belonging and helping others
Cons
Changes have created a lack of team spirit

Want to know more about Homes for Independent Living?

Ask a question
Careless
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WISeptember 24, 2018
I love caregiving but the managers of this company have absolutely no communication and are careless about their employees. Extremely unprofessional, and have been ignoring me about receiving any pay
Under paid, stressful, physically & mentally draining job
Caregiver (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WISeptember 20, 2018
Always under staffed, probably because of the LOW PAY. This type of work can be rewarding but extremely difficult. Especially when under staffed meaning you will have to work double hard to make up for it
I had worked for the company for 7 years only to earn a 1.70 raise by the time i quite...
Pros
Outing reimbersed, up to an amount
Cons
Given more hours than wanted because of no shows.
They show no appreciation....no holiday...only care about money
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WISeptember 9, 2018
This is not a place to work if you want any kind of benifits they hire dont care who they hire would rather let clients suffer then get med attention can only adavance if you been caught stealing money from hil or other company's
Never thought possible!
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 31, 2018
On the first day I had already witnessed numerous incidents that made me seriously question working for the company. After much thought and reflection I decided its not the right place for me.
Very comfortable setting to work in.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 28, 2018
I liked working at this job because I was able to help the less fortunate, and still be able to help others do the same by training them, Great place to work.
It can be hard
Insured the staff (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 22, 2018
Caring for others is not a job for everyone. The home health care industry has a fast turnover rate for a reason. Many people come into this industry thinking it is an easy paycheck. Somedays yes it is easy, others days you will hate your job. Those that truly care for what they are doing will stay, those that are just there for a paycheck move on.
The clients are great!
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WIAugust 22, 2018
This is one of those jobs where if your heart isn't in it its not for you. This is a very demanding job. Some clients are more capable of doing things on their own but more you have to do everything for them. If you cant handle being on your feet and dealing with the short staff sometimes this would not be the job for you.
support
care giver (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 17, 2018
Homes for independent living is a nice place too work. And they are willing to work with your schdule. they have ptop time time off so that you are still getting paid for your time off.
fun enviorment while workig with clients
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WI 53177August 16, 2018
this is a fast paced and very fun place to work for. the clients are amazing and the experience they give you is above and beyond anything. I worked in three of the homes for clients and everyone was a life changing experience
Very productive place to work.
Medical Assistant/ Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 13, 2018
When working here you have to have a good heart and patience for people with special needs. Management aren't always flexible with their personal schedule. If the next scheduled staff member does not come in for shift management will expect staff to figure it out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homes for Independent Living. Our community is ready to answer.