Homes for the Homeless Employee Reviews

n/a
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 6, 2019
Some days were stressful, some days were fun. Most workers are underpaid, case managers did not seem to care about the work environment, supervisors, and directors were really laid back and willing to help if needed
Fast paced and stressful
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Very challenging place to work in. You need patience and thick skin. Management can be very demanding and the rules you are required to enforce causes tension with a lot of the residents.
Pros
Lots of training and credentials.
Cons
Very hostile.
I recommand you Do NOT waste your time.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2018
Administrator has no consideration for employees nor the family. Constantly busy or on conference call. Staffs are leaving due to lack of treatment and over working. Families are complaining. Constantly checking cameras more than their completing their own task. If you have hours such as vacation/ sick/floating/personal hours you get penalized or write up for using it.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
you get penalized for hours you've earn, I would NOT recommand to a friend, Everyone talks about you espacailly administration.
Management Needs To Be Managed
Title Does Not Matter (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NY 11434October 2, 2018
I'd rather not go into detail. I will say that management needs work. Too much kiss bottom practices taking place. And if you do not then you are seen as problematic.
ok place
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  nyAugust 22, 2018
no room for improvement on salary or position. no regular bonuses. some staff is very rude. the people to serve feel entitle to services and childcare and don't respect ru
Competitive working environment
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  17515 Rockaway BlvdJuly 25, 2018
Competitive working environment dealing with many clients with mental health issues drug users from all over the world this was a shelter in Queens over 250 clients I was the third housing specialist. Many clients had issues with their children Acs issues, human resources case, The domestic violence issues. There were people coming from all over the world didn’t have their citizenship no papers. Also pregnant teenagers with no family’s assistants also pregnant teenagers with no family’s assistants. I as a housing specialist would meet with all clients in my caseload which was over 70 clients on a one-on-one basis to go over their status on housing vouchers and other documents to assist client to move forward and find housing .
Pros
Hourly Lunch, Paid Vacation
Cons
No room for advancement/ Case Overload
Horrid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 10, 2018
A Tyrant runs the place. Residents are horrid, filthy, and disrespectful. Residents think you work for them. Constant fights and threats. Smells coming from people and rooms were at times unbearable.
Pros
Meet some good people, Learning about the homelessness in NY
Cons
Everything else
What a great experience
Food Service Manager/ Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
The opportunity to engage with a organization that helps undeserved people is great. The clients really appreciate what you have to offer. The fresh air and activities are great.
Pros
the outdoors
Cons
chilly at night
the work place is productive and content
Unarmed Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 23, 2018
This is my first experience as a security guard, and i enjoy my job and the work environment! I'm learning everything i need to know as a security guard
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
2 ten minute breaks through out my work shift
Not busy, good for older guards who need work to fill in bills.
Safety Aid/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
Very slow paced, working with homeless women and children, and most posts are non moving so you basically sit around at the post for the day until break times.
Pros
1 hour lunch and slow paced environment.
Cons
The slow paced work prevents the time from moving by quickly, so the day seems longer than what it really is.
Very fast pace
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 29, 2018
very stressful I enjoyed helping the clients find suitable apartments but the pay was not matching all of the hard work I provided to that company the hardest part of my job was actually showing up to work my drect supervispor was great but the director was horrible and in experienced.
Productive fun place to work
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 12, 2018
Homes for the Homeless was one of my favorite job. The families there are amazing. The staff there are amazing. You can always go to management and they always have an open ear. I learned a lot from that job(team building skills). If I can go back to New York City that is the first place I will send my resume.
Pros
Kids, activities, field trips
This was the worst experience I've ever had!
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 20, 2018
I came on board to the facility in Jamaica in the summer of 2017. It was great because it was so close to home and the hours and pay were decent.
I started and was comfortable with what I did and most of the staff were very helpful. As I was a security supervisor, I was given an opportunity to hopefully make a difference.
From the minute I came on board, I was hit with so much petty gossip that it was unbelievable. These were co-workers talking about other co-workers and they didn't even know me!
As it turned out, this was and still is the norm. Favoritism is practiced there in the open and whether or not you did anything wrong, if they didn't like you.....stories would be made up to make sure you got out!
Bedbugs galore, no one appreciates you and snitching is strongly encouraged!
Had I known what this place was really like.....I would have run!!!
Pros
not a darn thing
Cons
too numerous to mention
Trash
Recreation Aide/Safety Aide (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Company is trash, workers are trash, central office is trash, shelter is trash, everything about HFH is trash. Never got fired and sure don't wanna be rehired again.
An experience I won't forget
Second Grade Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 10, 2018
This was my very first job, and I worked here for 3 summers in a row. The kids have grown on me, and I love them to death. From the start I was in the classroom, assisting. The next two summers I was teaching. Though it was a summer position, I read to the kids, supervised trips, etc.
Good place to work as far as location but not professional workers at all
Safty Aid (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 30, 2017
This was a location very convenient for me and look well on my resume but the staff , from the office workers, to Security housekeepers everyone was just very childish gossipers unprofessional. I'm not okay favoritism not to mention I was the only Hispanic on all three shifts the job position and title plus the pay is good but the environment was extremely toxic
Pros
The pay
Cons
Too much ghetto and Ratchet workers
Never again
Safety Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 18, 2017
Worst job ever no type of career or union there. the managers don’t want to work and don’t wan to give over times. bed bug infested building and security don’t do there jobs
Pros
Chinese food is cheap for lunch because they always coming there for deliveries
Cons
Rude residents, dirty, infested, bed bug, building, worker sleeping with residents .and managers don’t respect workers
Worse place to work for
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 14, 2017
Bed bugs roaches mike fahy was terrible thought he was god his assistant gilda was just as bad FAKE smile in your face and talk about you. Safety is trash they don't do their job. Favoritism underpayed over worked stressful feel bad for the clients
Pros
Cons
The day i accepted the job
Good starting ground as a supervisor/guard.
Security Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 10, 2017
Homes for the homeless is a good stepping stone for someone, who wants to get there feet wet in the security field. diverse people. Different backgrounds, and a warm place to make a buck.
Pros
lunch is a hour.
Cons
healthcare
Very poor Management support for the staff
Case Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 6, 2017
I've learned that when you are not in connection with the staff, they will do anything to get rid of you by any means necessary. no room for advancing
Pros
Cons
Health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homes for the Homeless. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8