Homestar Financial Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Loved the staff
DE/SAR Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 17, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the underwriting department. Management was great and developed a great working relationship with each of them. I learned so much from my coworkers and managers. The only downfall is the loans are not the easiest the majority of them are difficult there must be a strong underwriter to be able to handle these types of loans. Management is very upfront about these.
This place needs a reality check
Undewriting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 10, 2018
Too stringent of a interview process and it's ineffective. They line you up to have multiple interviews with three people (impersonal) at a time with their corporate team, take personality tests and go meet with managers at the branch. Then they come back and say they have decided to go with another candidate.

It shows me they want candidates to answer "yes" to all their questions and if you show a hint of having a strong mind or even like you think on your own two feet they don't hire you. They want someone they could plug right into their company. So if you are a critical thinker or problem solver don't get expected to be hired because they are narrow thinkers over there. Zero vision.

The manager literally told me he wants a carbon copy of his current assistant. I appreciate his honesty, but "what if" I could do the job better...That means she has you depending on her which means she is probably 1.) stressed out because the office will fall apart in her absence and 2.) how is one person supposed to keep up with the growth or demand effectively. Too much bureaucracy, incompatible varying personalities and red tape for me.
Rewarding
Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAApril 26, 2018
work-life balance, management support, opportunity for advancement enjoy being able to work from home and have flexibility in scheduling.
This has been an unbelievable opportunity
Good Company
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCApril 26, 2018
Good Company to work for. Working at corporate office is different than the remote branches. We had a lot of freedom to get our work done. Your were held accountable. But you had the tools to get the job done.
Favortism
Compliance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flowery Branch, GAMarch 25, 2018
Homestar favors friends and family over quality employees. If you are not related to someone who works here, your experience will be disappointing. No real advancement opportunities.
Pros
Full time employment
Cons
Management is unfair, pay is minimal.
Originated and processed all loan applications
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAMarch 24, 2018
Spoke with loan applicants, advised them on the best alternatives for their financing needs, processed and submitted files to various lenders for final review and approval, attended all closings.
Pros
Managed my own work schedule
Cons
Difficult to retain originators
Have good running shoes . Will need them to get away
Someones Girl (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMarch 21, 2018
Not for the Critical thinker, Highly educated or motivated person. All these attributes will be crushed working there. I dont really want to dog this place but this particular system I am on is forcing me to write more. I did not have a good experience at all.
Pros
Likely to get married to someone. Everyone is related to someone there
Cons
High blood pressure
Excellent Company
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 26, 2018
Great company with an amazing culture and leadership. Work-life balance, good pay, benefits, flexibility, and family-like culture make HFC one of the best places to work for!
Pros
Leadership truly cares about the employees, advancement opportunities are more prevalent as we grow., Flexible environment, supportive culture
Cons
Health insurance could be a little bit cheaper, but at least there are options!
Great work place!
Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 14, 2018
Fast pace but slow certain times of the year.
Most co-workers are kind and willing to help.
Many job opportunities.
Varied types of managers. I had a very kind but strict manager.
Tight deadlines that can make the job very stressful.
Pros
Great work environment, benefits, and flexible schedule
Cons
Inconsistant managment and underwriter guidlines
Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 13, 2018
My direct manager was very easy to work with, however upper management isn't very supportive of the Underwriting position in that they pushed files through that later caused issues
Pros
Relaxed place to work
Cons
Instability in decisions
Overall was good working experience
Title Processor (Former Employee) –  Flowery Branch, GAJanuary 26, 2018
Enjoyable work, learned a lot about the process for buying a home behind the scenes, not just signing papers. You need a good alert mind for figures and produce work in a timely manner
Pros
friendly working environment
Cons
needed more training classes
Large work load with no overtime
Remote Bilingual Processor (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAOctober 31, 2017
I was given products and never trained on them and upon asking questions I was told I was making mistakes but I asked questions thru out the entire time.
Pros
remote
Cons
no assistance
Great company, bad management
Loan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Flowery Branch, GAOctober 23, 2017
Managers think they run the place and forget they aren’t the CEOs
Managers take advantage of their positions.
Have Requirements that they themselves don’t follow
Not for everyone
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GASeptember 30, 2017
Young staff which can be cliquey and immature. Lack of structure and an overly relaxed atmosphere where no one is accountable. Lack of strong leadership by leads and general lack of organization make this a source of frustration. Promoting at random without real valuable performance merit. Lots of behind the scenes whining. Constant changes in direction with how you perform your role each day as though they don’t remember what they told you the day before or just don’t care. Low pay and laughable and late raises.
Pros
Great owner, great overall company, Free EOM lunch, Monthly Birthday Cake, limited micromanaging, company outings, yearly ball with fantastic prizes.
Cons
Lack of clearly defined job roles, lack of structure and discipline, no personal accountability or initiative in most of the staff, lack of strong leads, and random promotions that have no merit.
Productive good work days
Sr. Underwriter-Remote (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GASeptember 7, 2017
Excellent company and individuals that work there
Workplace culture is excellent, made you feel like family
Management the best, open communication, excellent guidance
Busy
Associate IV/real estate closer (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GASeptember 1, 2017
Overall good place to work but here is a problem with certain upper management. Loyalty does not seem to matter. Title that I was hired for has been changed drastically.
Pros
Monthly free lunches. Quarterly bonuses
Cons
Upper management
Great company
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAAugust 14, 2017
Homestar Financial is a great company. They have a great process, policies and people. The pay is second to none, and the support is great; as well. Great company!
productive fun place to work with lots of support
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 11, 2017
management was great and supportive. Family friendly environment. Workplace culture was great! Enjoyed getting together with co-workers outside the office
Pros
good benefits, family friendly, supportive, get togethers
Cons
pay grade not very competitive
Mortgage Loan Company that has grown from 1 office to offices located in 22 states since 2002
sales (Current Employee) –  North Carolina, Georgia, FloridaJuly 21, 2016
Homestar is a fast growing company that has a family atmosphere. No micromanaging, no assigned territory or assigned referral sources. Get the business, the bottom line. The CEO is very good at caring for his people and the clients that do business with us. Co-workers are to work together as support for each other and getting the job done for our clients. The hardest part of the job is the growth the company has experienced, there is lack of training opportunities, back office support is difficult. It is not that the employees do not want to help, it is just that adding Loan Officers and new office locations so quickly, seems the growth cannot keep up with the amount of employees needed for back office support. Suggest highly experienced new hires that need little help, you have to know what to do, and figure it out on you own most of the time. If you can do this, the pay is good, and no micromanaging.
Pros
No micromangement and great commission comp plan
Cons
Lack of training and back office support
Great company!!
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Newnan, GAJanuary 29, 2016
Great company, great benefits with fantastic support. Wouldn't consider working anywhere else. Underwriting help desk, quick turn times, daily turn time updates and many loan programs not offered elsewhere