Homestar Financial Corporation Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Sr VA/FHA Underwriter (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 17, 2019
Managers are unprofessional and not helpful. They spend more time gossiping and feeding their egos. They act friendly on the phone and stab you in the back.
Pros
Remote
Cons
See above
April 22, 2019

Thank you for writing a review. We value this forum as a source of anonymous feedback because we learn and improve based on what people share. We are sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with your experience at Homestar. As you may know, we’ve spent a great deal of time and effort in the last few years to entirely transform our culture toward one that supports innovation and collaboration, and where leaders embrace teamwork and a harmonious mindset. Clearly, these efforts take time to reach each and every team and leader throughout our offices, but we have indeed made great strides. We will continuously monitor our leadership training and further develop our company culture so that Homestar can be a great place to work for our team members.

Again, thank you very much for your review. We wish you all the best in the future.

Loan originator
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  marietta, gaApril 8, 2019
Worked for commission only. All of the people I worked with at citizens fidelity worked here.

We all were like a family working together. Getting loans approved.
Pros
good people
April 15, 2019

Thank you very much for your review.

We appreciate your feedback! Have a wonderful day!

They say they have never had a layoff but thar us because they fire everyone and say it's due to performance.
Remote Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 17, 2019
They say they have never had a layoff but they fire everyone and say it's due to performance. There are too many managers and they micromanage your desk and time daily.
Pros
Nice people working there
Cons
Inconsistency in management. Too many managers and they micromanage your desk and time daily
February 25, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not enjoyable. At HOMESTAR we continuously look for ways to improve processes and support each one of a team members. Ongoing coaching and training of our managers is an important focus for 2019, so we appreciate your opinion and will use it to improve our organization.

Great place to build a career
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 3, 2019
Excellent company with great work environment, compensation and opportunities for advancement. No complaints about this company at all. I am very thankful for the opportunities they have provided me along the way.
Pros
Good Pay, Better people
January 7, 2019

Thank you for the feedback! We are delighted to hear that you are having a positive experience at Homestar!

They over hire then lay people off.
Post Closing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 3, 2019
Homestar employees are overall friendly, however, management is horrible. There is obvious favoritism in the work place. Once the slow season starts, they decide to cut over 20 people off. It’s very improfessional that many have to suffer due to management.
Pros
Pto, insurance, 401k
Cons
Horrible management, will not get far unless you are related to someone
January 7, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Layoffs are never easy and the recent decision to restructure the organization was made very carefully. Although the recent changes were hard decisions to make, we do believe these changes will enable the company to double down on our product vision, which is what we need to deliver a consumer product experience.We wish you well on your future endeavours.

No longer a fun place. Company has grown too much and no more personal attention is given
MORTGAGE LOAN CLOSER-UNDERWRITING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GADecember 18, 2018
When I first started here, this was an awesome place. the company was still growing, but no so big that you didn't get a lot of interaction with upper management. Now, most of the employees are unhappy with the treatment.
December 24, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Homestar values our customers overall experience--both internally and externally. We will continuously monitor our processes and find ways to improve them. Please feel free to reach out to your Homestar's HR department with your recommendations. We value your feedback!

Not a pleasant place to work
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Watkinsville, GAOctober 18, 2018
In the beginning it was a fun and enjoyable place to work but as time went on it became a very stressful environment to work in. When i first starting working here the company was very small. Within the first 6 months of being here the company double in size. I think it just grew to quickly and management had a hard time keeping up with the growth. It was almost impossible to talk to Management, the underwriters or the closers. I had to go through my immediate manager and she was seldom available to help me.
Pros
work remotely, paychecks came on time.
Cons
poor management, not a family friendly place to work
December 24, 2018

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Homestar. As we grow, we are going to continuously try to find ways to better improve our business processes and to help support our team.

We wish you well and good luck on your future endeavours.

Not a great first impression
Branch Manager and Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALOctober 15, 2018
I was not impressed with the structure of the branch nor with the support from headquarters. The individuals were kind but the company was disorganized.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. At Homestar, we always aim to improve and to better ourselves. That being said, we are thankful that you took the time to share your opinion here so that we can reflect and ensure all of our team members are communicating in an effective manner.

We wish you well in your future endeavors!

I love that they let you work remotely.
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GASeptember 24, 2018
This was my favorite Loan processing job, the management was very helpful in my success. I loved the team. I learned a lot when I worked here, I always had a good amount of loans to work. I think they compensated us well for the job.
Pros
Ability to work remotley.
Cons
I never got to see clients or employees face to face.
November 5, 2018

Thank your feedback. We wish you well on your future endeavours!

Loved the staff
DE/SAR Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 17, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the underwriting department. Management was great and developed a great working relationship with each of them. I learned so much from my coworkers and managers. The only downfall is the loans are not the easiest the majority of them are difficult there must be a strong underwriter to be able to handle these types of loans. Management is very upfront about these.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your input!

This place needs a reality check
Undewriting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 10, 2018
Too stringent of a interview process and it's ineffective. They line you up to have multiple interviews with three people (impersonal) at a time with their corporate team, take personality tests and go meet with managers at the branch. Then they come back and say they have decided to go with another candidate.

It shows me they want candidates to answer "yes" to all their questions and if you show a hint of having a strong mind or even like you think on your own two feet they don't hire you. They want someone they could plug right into their company. So if you are a critical thinker or problem solver don't get expected to be hired because they are narrow thinkers over there. Zero vision.

The manager literally told me he wants a carbon copy of his current assistant. I appreciate his honesty, but "what if" I could do the job better...That means she has you depending on her which means she is probably 1.) stressed out because the office will fall apart in her absence and 2.) how is one person supposed to keep up with the growth or demand effectively. Too much bureaucracy, incompatible varying personalities and red tape for me.
November 12, 2018

Let me start by thanking you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Homestar did not match your expectation. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, we do extend it with all sincerity. We are taking your feedback and addressing all the places we missed in delivering a great experience for our employees in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best in the future.

Same as the rest
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 30, 2018
This was once a great company to work for but that has changed. No different than the other companies. You will underwrite questionable loans and are expected to approve them. Management make ALL the decisions and underwriters are not allowed to express their concerns.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
February 25, 2019

Rewarding
Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAApril 26, 2018
work-life balance, management support, opportunity for advancement enjoy being able to work from home and have flexibility in scheduling.
This has been an unbelievable opportunity
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you have a positive experience at Homestar!

Good Company
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCApril 26, 2018
Good Company to work for. Working at corporate office is different than the remote branches. We had a lot of freedom to get our work done. Your were held accountable. But you had the tools to get the job done.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback.

We are delighted to hear that you are having a positive experience at Homestar!

Favortism
Compliance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Flowery Branch, GAMarch 25, 2018
Homestar favors friends and family over quality employees. If you are not related to someone who works here, your experience will be disappointing. No real advancement opportunities.
Pros
Full time employment
Cons
Management is unfair, pay is minimal.
January 7, 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience do not match your expectation. At HOMESTAR, we always aim to create a supportive work environment and we are saddened to hear this response. We encourage you to reach out to us in the HR department with your concerns. We look forward to hearing back from you!

Originated and processed all loan applications
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAMarch 24, 2018
Spoke with loan applicants, advised them on the best alternatives for their financing needs, processed and submitted files to various lenders for final review and approval, attended all closings.
Pros
Managed my own work schedule
Cons
Difficult to retain originators
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your input!

Have good running shoes . Will need them to get away
Someones Girl (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMarch 21, 2018
Not for the Critical thinker, Highly educated or motivated person. All these attributes will be crushed working there. I dont really want to dog this place but this particular system I am on is forcing me to write more. I did not have a good experience at all.
Pros
Likely to get married to someone. Everyone is related to someone there
Cons
High blood pressure
November 5, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. HOMESTAR is committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and respectful environment for our employees, so we are disappointed to hear about some of your experiences . That being said, we are thankful that you took the time to share your opinion here so that we can reflect and ensure all of our team members are communicating in an effective manner.

Again, we appreciate your feedback as it will help us continue to make Homestar a great place to work. As always, we wish you well in your future endeavors.

Excellent Company
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 26, 2018
Great company with an amazing culture and leadership. Work-life balance, good pay, benefits, flexibility, and family-like culture make HFC one of the best places to work for!
Pros
Leadership truly cares about the employees, advancement opportunities are more prevalent as we grow., Flexible environment, supportive culture
Cons
Health insurance could be a little bit cheaper, but at least there are options!
October 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad you are enjoying your time at Homestar and benefiting from our culture and leadership. Keep up the good work!

Great work place!
Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 14, 2018
Fast pace but slow certain times of the year.
Most co-workers are kind and willing to help.
Many job opportunities.
Varied types of managers. I had a very kind but strict manager.
Tight deadlines that can make the job very stressful.
Pros
Great work environment, benefits, and flexible schedule
Cons
Inconsistant managment and underwriter guidlines
November 5, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. At Homestar, we always aim to improve and to better ourselves. We will keep your feedback in mind for our future processes.

Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAFebruary 13, 2018
My direct manager was very easy to work with, however upper management isn't very supportive of the Underwriting position in that they pushed files through that later caused issues
Pros
Relaxed place to work
Cons
Instability in decisions
November 5, 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homestar Financial Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Homestar Financial Corporation Reviews by Location