Homewood Suites by Hilton Employee Reviews

great place to work
Executive Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 22, 2019
I loved my job at the Homewood suites. The staff was very welcoming and warm, the other housekeepers were very nice and understanding if I had to have them go back and clean something in their room that's wasn't cleaned properly.
guest tip
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJFebruary 20, 2019
I was not satisfied with this job. Management was not respectful to their employees. I worked at this job twice for two different years, the first time management was nice and cared about their employees. Second time the management team was young and made pour decisions.
Pros
Tips
Okay job
Breakfast Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 18, 2019
It was a good place to work, the job was manageable it was just the management that wasn't the best. Every time there was a concern nothing was done. The job itself was pretty was pretty easy.
Pros
good hotel discounts
Cons
not many breaks
Best Job ever
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYFebruary 14, 2019
Help customers with any problems. Make sure that regular customers are treated above and beyond. Take payment and make reservations and answer phone calls. Help with dinner service.
okay
Housekeeper / Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 10, 2019
Can be fast paced as well as slow. Really nice property and you meet a lot of nice people. Too much favoritism with front desk towards people who did not do their jobs to the fullest. Management is not good. Great housekeeping supervisors, but a lot of work with not enough pay for housekeeping. Raises were too low. An okay experience for the most part, gained customer service skills.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no lunch/ set breaks, Unorganized management, no growth
Beware of managment
Housekeeping Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2019
Thoroughly enjoy working in hotels. With small owners in franchise beware of who is in charge. General manager made racist comments daily, underpaid and overworked and quite frankly, disrespected staff on the daily. Would outright lie to owner about where the money was being spent. Homewood hotels are beautiful and nice, this one was wretched. No professionalism, just a woman in charge who rather wanted to eat, leave and play Mean Girls all day.
Pros
Discounts, free breakfast, staff
Cons
Manager, rundown, poor budgeting
Excellent place for college students/ part time work
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEFebruary 8, 2019
The overall atmosphere here is pleasant, and coworkers cheerful and helpful. The hiring process is simple, but about 80% of training is done by yourself on computer modules that are outdated, where very little of the training material is applied to the actual job. Much of what you learn will be directly on the job in the moment, often on your own. Depending on your position, there could be very little involvement with management, to almost constant communication. One of the biggest issues I experienced from the beginning of employment, is the excessive gossip/ bad-mouthing among coworkers. There is far too much bad blood over petty issues, and unfortunately it is only fanned by the management, who themselves get involved in and even encourage this inappropriate work talk. I was witness to multiple managers talking badly and innapropriately about others, in front of employees. This causes too much uprofessional discord. I personally enjoyed working here less and less for this reason. I strongly feel that management is not as involved or as professional as they should be here, and will avoid handling problems. I also received many complaints from guests and employees about broken appliances that needed to be replaced. Management often overlooks and refuses to invest in necessary updates and fixtures, according the the Maintenance team it is because it comes out of their bonuses. As a Night auditor, it was especially difficult to reach anyone for help at night, and the manager I was supposed to call was never available if I needed help, so instead I constantly had to rely on the  more... General Manager, despite that not being her job. I was appreciative for her, and feel sorry she cannot have a better management team working with her. I think it's an excellent place to work for normal positions, but please be aware if you are applying for the Night Audit job that you will be the only staff member working in the hotel overnight. There will be no maintenance crew, support, housekeeping, no one but you. If there is an emergency or issue, you must be able to resolve it, because there is a very good chance if you call the management, they will not answer. Hilton requires that at least one person per shift must be CPR certified. Although I worked there for nearly a year, I was never given a CPR training course, and I was never trained for any emergency procedures. I asked to be trained, but still never received any, making myself liable every shift, and leaving guests at the mercy of one staff person only trained to do front desk work to aid in any potential emergency situation. I experienced very severe professional burnout working the Night Audit position here, and I place that blame on the lack of reliability from management. They essentially put you in a night manager position with lack of necessary training and procedure and very poor pay. Over time I was unable to do the job any longer, and became unreliable when I asked for coverage, of which they have none. I was truly looking forward to working for Hilton but unfortunately working nights for Homewood Suites in Scarborough left a bad taste in my mouth. For these reasons I would not recommend this workplace. If you do intend to work here, be sure to clarify the rate of pay in your interview or orientation, as they will try to pay you the lowest possible wage, and change what they originally offered once you have completed your orientation.  less
Pros
Discounted room rates for friends and family within Hilton brand
Cons
Poorly managed
great company
Fron Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
All the staff from the GM to everybody extremely courteous, helpful, and knowledgeable. Benefits are great, salary is competitive. A wonderful work environment.
horrible hotel to work for
Lead Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
this particular location was horrible to work for due to poor management. it didn't matter how many managers came in, the damage was already done. no positive words
Pros
i was able to get a check.
Cons
management was poor
Not a positive place
Housekeeping Department (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAFebruary 2, 2019
Managment not there alot and kinda clueless as to how the back of the house is doing. Housekeeping department is run very poorly and you only get attention and help if you speak spanish.
Management wants you to attend "pow wow" during your break. Thinks offering hours old leftover breakfast is a great treat for us. Raises are years in coming. If they dont like you they will cut your hours to almost nothing. People who have been there for years get ignored and no thanks when they give notice.
Public bathroom had bloody toilet for over 12 hours including through comp breakfast....and that is pretty normal for their standards which is unacceptable. No one is responsible for anything which means stuff does not get done and there is no consistancy when it does get done. Maintenance head guy Victor is the worst clueless manager ive ever worked with.
Pros
Hardly any cameras so you can be lazy
Cons
All of it
typical day at work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 31, 2019
cleaning rooms I learn to how interact whit people an of better way the hardest par it was wen I was carrying the linens what I was enjoying more lunch whit my friends
Pros
dicounts
Cons
short breaks
Friendly place with good benefits.
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJanuary 31, 2019
We're all close and it's a nice place to work. The atmosphere is friendly and the work itself is manageable, and the perks are great! Hotel discounts are awesome and Christmas party is awesome!
Pros
hotel discounts, great benefits.
Cons
Not very well organized and no room for advancement.
A Typical Day at Work
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2019
The work day included lots of customer service. Guest Satisfaction was very important. Pleasing the Guest ensured repeat accommodations, A typical day included constant telephone and computer contact. Work in a fast paced call center was often very stressful with little time for relaxation. Open door style of management was very much appreciated. Workplace culture was diverse, employees from all walks of life. The hardest part of the job was reducing the amount of wait time of guests during phone calls.
The most enjoyable part of the job was earning bonuses for good job performance.
Pros
Hotel stay discounts
Cons
Lack of consistency with breaks.
Great staff
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2019
I loved the staff I worked with. We met new and interesting guest everyday. I loved that we had appreciation lunches monthly and employee of the month. It was very busy as times but enjoyable.
Very productive and face paced
Executive Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 28, 2019
Very friendly and faced paced environment, must clean rooms in a time limit, must abide by the hilton cleaning standards. Can be challenging at times.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses
Cons
Alot of rooms
Stressful workplace with lackluster management
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2019
Though the pay and the benefits are wonderful when working directly for Hilton, the management and working hours/life balance leave a lot to be desired. You also get no lunch or break when you work at the front desk.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
No lunch breaks on the desk, difficult work/life balance, lackluster management
Dicounts
Housekeeper, Porter and Laundry Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 23, 2019
I worked as a housekeeper, my responsibilities were to clean 26 rooms a shift. Stripping beds, trashing out, cleaning and disinfecting room and bathroom, vacuuming, replacing toiletry and then finally putting the room back in order for the next customer.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
no growth
Competitive really tough
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 22, 2019
We worked together to try our best at the job I was really stress at that job but they paid me well at that time I really liked it there to though because I made new friends and some of my old friends were there to i had good times there.
Cons
Insurance Short breaks
Its a great place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 21, 2019
I have no issues with homewood. Its a great place to work. The people and management there are great. I will continue to work there. They have 14 hotels from Maryland to Hershy.
N/a
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2019
It was to much in they never gave me no off days in had me do stuff I never in a hotel it was bad Managers in the hotel wasn’t up to cole on everything