Hoosier Contractors, LLC Employee Reviews

Working at Hoosier
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INJune 14, 2018
Working at Hoosier has been good. Opportunity is there, you just have to be mindful and work at it. There is nothing given. I love working with the other employees. I work my own set hours, as long as you are working, you will be good. Works well with my life/work balance. If you are a person who takes pride from working hard, then you will do great.
Pros
Truck, pay, phone, family environment
Cons
Heavy lifting, lunch is hard to take at times
Work Hard Great Pay
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
From doing sales in my previous job before, I knew that it is a sales role which means I would work hard for what I get. I enjoy my job and the company employees. The office atmosphere is a great feeling and helpful source of knowledge. I enjoy the competitive atmosphere that was created in sales here.
Pros
Truck, Phone, Gas
Cons
hard work
Get Paid Well to Work Hard
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
A typical day at Hoosier is full of variety. You will do a lot of multi-tasking with a great group of people. The company has a family feel to it and there is never a dull moment. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, you will be rewarded.
Pros
great environment. company bonuses. company vehicle. Paid vacation
Fun yet productive atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
I love working at Hoosier! The best part is working with awesome people and amazing customers. The management and pay is also great, too! If you’re looking for a rewarding sales position, this is your gig!
Single persons job
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2018
The job of an account manager can be a stressful one for having to do the best job possible. Either people will love you for getting a new roof bought or they will hate you for not doing enough.

I learned quite a bit in the short time that I worked for them but not enough to keep me around. The management was decent and they looked out for you... unless they think you said something bad about the company without any verifiable evidence to back up the claim.

The hardest part of the job was that I never got to see my family during the day except for on Sundays.
Pros
Company phone, company vehicle, gas card, uniforms
Cons
Too many hours but not compensated as an account manager
Great Company with growth ahead
Sales (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2018
This is a great company where everyone truly cares. Expectations are clear and everyone works hard to achieve them. Staff is very knowledgeable about the industry and works to improve in any way. The vision to be the best is clear with upper management. This can be a hard/tough working job but with great income opportunity. Pay is not capped which is a plus. Hours are ultimately do what you need to do when you need to do them.
Pros
Pay, extensive paid training, comes with Truck and fuel card
Excellent Work Environment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2017
I've been with Hoosier Contractors for awhile now and I extremely enjoy the job, the people I work with, and the task I handle everyday. If you are a person that loves challenges and wants to work hard for your future, Hoosier Contractors is a place that you will love.
Pros
Great Work Enviorment, Paid Fitness Membership, Company Truck, Great Pay
Cons
Sometimes Long Hours, Hard Working Enviorment
Great Business that is continuously growing
Financial Auditor (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, IndianaJuly 24, 2015
This company has a great working atmosphere. The management staff contains good people that work well each other and help keep the work in sync. Training for this position was really detailed and took some time to get a complete understanding on what the job entails. Higher Management were patient and supportive training new hires. The Owner has a strong training program for his management positions so they can eventually train new hires themselves for the company and to work more efficiently.Hoosier Contractors is definitely a great company to work at for individuals who have a strong work ethic and likes to work with people.
Pros
paid gym membership and health insurance after working three months for the company, Great pay thats BI-weekly, A good working industry, Working schedule.
Great Company, no messing around, good pay
Sales (Current Employee) –  BrownsburgJuly 9, 2015
When they say you are going to work hard they mean it. For me, that's what I prefer. The management is tough, but they care about you. If you are doing good they leave you alone for the most part. Pay is slow at first, but if you stick it out for the 1st 3 months it is well worth it. Earning potential can be more than $10,000 a month if you are doing what your supposed to be doing. I made 23k in one month of commissions. If you work hard and do what you're told they will make you more productive than you ever thought was possible. Training consists of an absurd amount of information to learn along the way. It is a small company so everyone pitches in and helps everyone else which creates more of a family atmosphere. There is no fluff, it is a sales job, so you do have to produce. Since I've been here, processes have changed due to the sheer growth of the company, but it has all been changes so either I can make more sales or the client is better taken care of. and yea, they genuinely care about their clients and we truly do help people, which is my favorite part of the job, outside of playing on roofs and getting fat checks.
Pros
training, truck, fuel, smart phone, family
Cons
lot of stuff to learn in a short amount of time, working long hours
Good opportunity for hard workers
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 29, 2015
I started here a year ago as an account manager and was promoted to the sales manager position. This is a hard job that is not for everyone. The best time to sell is when people are home - nights and weekends. Door to door sales can be hard. I was fortunate. I found this position and really enjoyed the thrill of sales. I easily exceeded quota most weeks and have found this job very rewarding.

Not everyone is cut out for this position. Some people just aren't strong enough sales people. Some don't have the discipline to put in the hours needed to succeed. As a small business we do everything we can to help our sales people succeed. Those who meet quota have no concerns about their job security.

It is a rewarding career with a small company and lots of opportunity for growth.
Pros
Rewarding career, truck, opportunity for growth, fun atmosphere
Decent Job for a SPECIFIC Type of Person
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INJune 13, 2015
Working here was a very educational experience, and I don't really regret taking the opportunity, even though it didn't work out in the end. As for potential employees deciding whether or not to work there, I'll detail both the good and the bad.

First of all, expect to work long hours. There is absolutely no way that you can expect to be successful at this job and work less than 6 days and 60-70 hours a week- especially starting out. And don't imagine that it will be be all knocking doors (although there will be PLENTY of that). No, after you've been there a while, there will be numerous meetings to schedule, reschedule (when home owners and adjusters inevitably call to postpone), and attend; including adjusters meetings, color confirmations, check pick-ups at installs, and install clean-ups... not to mention the mandatory Friday meetings at the office.

This, in turn, leads me into my second point- in order to be successful at this job, you have to be very organized. The Account Manager (AM) who did the majority of my training was extremely organized... and he had to be. With over 100 files in various stages to keep track of, he needed to take copious notes and write down every name, number, and appointment immediately.

The next topic that I will touch on is training. Other than a couple of training manuals written/compiled by the owner that you have to read and are tested on, there is really not much resembling a formal training program. After a couple of days, you are assigned to one of the senior AMs, with whom you stay for couple of weeks. From them you learn how
  more... to knock doors, deliver your pitch, answer questions, spot damage, go over contracts, and much, much more. However, the AM you are with already has an extremely busy schedule and his own quota to meet. This, to no surprise, means that you spend a large portion of the day going to with him to his appointments, cleaning up with him at his installs, and sitting with him in the truck or at a cafe while he updates his files. Consequently, you won't be able to spend the majority of your day knocking doors until you get your own truck- which comes after an arbitrary period.

On to pay. AMs receive both a decent base salary, plus commission on every contract that results in a bought roof. However, you don't receive your commission until the payday after the job is done, usually 1-2 months after the contract is signed, although sometimes it's longer. BUT (and this is important!) the main caveat is that you don't qualify for your base salary until you sign TEN contracts- until then, you are essentially working for free. You do get a $100 draw for each of those first 10 contracts, which is basically an advance upon your future commissions. The owner says that it's possible to make those contracts in just a couple of days... but realistically, it will take you at least 2-3 weeks to reach that threshold. Now, an earlier reviewer here (the guy who left the 1 star review) said that AMs had a hard time getting their commissions, but I as I wasn't with the company that long, I can't say as to whether or not that is actually the case.

One aspect of the job that is very nice is the transportation. After the aforementioned arbitrary period, AMs are assigned a pretty new RAM 1500, and are given a $300 a month gas allowance as well. The truck is a bit of a necessity, as we need to carry a couple of ladders around, as well as any extra materials left over from an install- but it definitely is a nice necessity.

Another great aspect of the job are your coworkers. Whether it be the interns in the office, to the office managers, to your fellow AMs, the people here are both competent and friendly. In particular, the AMs were very helpful to each other. There is a sort of camaraderie between then, bolstered by friendly competition, which makes interactions with your coworkers rather pleasant. All of this contributes to a rather informal work environment, which was refreshingly pleasant. Even the owner was pretty laid back, although everyone clearly treated him a little differently (i.e. with a little more respect)- which wasn't surprising, considering that he did have the power to fire them.

Speaking of being fired, job security here is NOT very good- especially starting out. The first three months that you work here are essentially your trial period, and you are technically a contractor, not an employee, until that period is over. Especially before you've reached your 10 contracts, the owner reserves the right to fire anyone whom he thinks isn't productive enough or isn't a good fit for the job. Basically, within the first few weeks (the exact period is arbitrary), you need to show that you will make the company money. This is understandable, because they are running a business, not a charity. However, no matter how long you've been there, you never truly feel like your job is safe. Everything from missing quota a couple weeks in a row, to not following relatively minor company procedures can result in the threat of termination. For example, after a one bad sales week where just about everyone missed quota, the sales manager basically told us that if anyone didn't follow all of our (many) procedures the following week, he would fire them- as he didn't want to get fired himself. This does effect the company morale, as I've talked with more than one AM who has expressed concern that they might be fired in the near future. And, on a related topic, the attrition rate for new AMs is rather high. During my tenure at the company, several new AMs were hired, all of whom quit within a few days.

Overall, however, I think that a job at this company can be a good opportunity for a SPECIFIC type of person. If you are a confident, organized, a hard worker, a people person, are fine with working both long hours (especially on Saturdays), are not planning any trips in the near future (no vacation days until you've been an employee for a year, then you get two weeks), and are fine with working pretty much for free for the first few weeks, then you are probably a good fit for this job. You will drive a nice company truck, work with some pretty awesome people, and, if you hit your sales quotas, you can make pretty good money as well.

And, at the very least, you will learn a heck of a lot about how to initiate sales, walk safely on a roof, and extend/collapse a ladder.

FYI, the review entitled "Great Place to Work" that was written on June 2, 2015 was NOT, contrary to what it says, written by a current AM- I know because all of the current AMs denied writing it.

I cannot speak one way or another as to the veracity of the other reviews.
Pros
Great co-workers, relatively informal work environment, company truck.
Cons
Long hours, very little job security, next to no pay starting out.
Great Place To Work
account manager (Current Employee) –  brownsburg, INJune 2, 2015
Pays well (salary and commission) good benefits. fun place to work and grow. Great support staff. If you have a issue or a problem, they are there when you need them
Professional, Enjoyable, and Beneficial Experience
Human Resourcese (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMay 7, 2015
Working in Human Resources for Hoosier Contractors has been a truly beneficial experience for me. I enjoy working closely with employees and seeing the success that each Account Manager has after starting with our company. As a company we work together to make sure that new employees are: informed, comfortable, and prepared. Overall enjoyable experience.
Pros
Comfortable Atmosphere, Relevant Tasks, Positive Motivation
Cons
N/a
Great place to work and learn
Marketing and Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMay 7, 2015
I am an intern at Hoosier Contractors LLC. I feel a lot of respect for myself and my position, as well as my ideas. It's a laid back environment, and you get a lot of great experience in your field. The owner Josh is great and is very flexible with your schedule. Even though the pay is on the lower end, if they hire you you can work 40 hours a week so it evens out. Most enjoyable part of the job is your coworkers, who all have great personalities and are laid back as well.
Pros
flexibility, culture, learning experience
Cons
small office, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hoosier Contractors, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6