Horace Mann Insurance Employee Reviews

Float on!
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 12, 2019
Unless you’re dying to have a job you dislike, with management that is worse than your job, look elsewhere for gainful employment. Otherwise, prepare to do more work than management while earning less pay.
Toxic work environment and terrible culture
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 31, 2019
The only good thing about Horace Mann is the 401k. The job is stressful because the adjusters are under paid and over worked. They keep hiring new upper manager with their 100k salary but don’t care about the adjusters. The environment is really bad. I mean everyone there is looking for a new job. The culture is bad because management gossip like a bunch of school girls instead of LEADING their team. Long story short: Horace Mann is where careers go to die.
Pros
401k plan
Cons
High deductible insurance, stressful environment, management is s revolving door. Negative culture. Low pay. Terrible structure
Great Place to Work
Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 21, 2019
Great work environment, teamwork was practiced daily, competitive pay was also a great perk. Location of the job was fresh in Irving, and it provided challenges throughout the entire department.
contact center
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMay 14, 2019
This position could be so much better if they allowed for department specialization within the contact center. Lots more opportunities at home office than there are in the satellite locations. Part of employee scoring is based on customer surveys about the company not the individual they spoke with.

Schedules based on performance (including survey responses) but little to no communication from management about when shift bids will occur or when new schedules will take effect ("you'll get an email later" is a standard answer for everything you ask) with no regard to people who need to make family arrangements.

Compensation definitely not in line with the amount of work and skills you are expected to master. No such thing as taking an unpaid day when needed to save your vacation days, if you don't use your PTO it counts as an occurrence against you. Even though they pay on the current schedule, OT and holidays take a month to be paid out.

Expectation is that you will purchase your own laptop bag for the company computer (not reimbursed) and make yourself available to work from home during inclimate weather... but working from home is not an option any other time.

I would love to give higher scores because of some of the employees but that wouldn't be fair to people who are looking for info on the position as a whole.
Pros
Food Truck Tuesday, ice/water machine, comfortable break room
Cons
OT takes a month to reflect on your paycheck, admin concerns expected to be handled on your break/lunch instead of company time, little work life balance, it's freezing in the office
Under paid
Insurance operations specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 8, 2019
No raise in 3 years. A ton of micromanagement. It's very who you know not what you know. If your not buddy buddy with management you will not go anywhere.
Treat Temp Workers Terribly
Annuities Specialist/ Marketing (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 24, 2019
I worked through Express personnel, as a temp in 2 departments. There was a lack of communication between Express and Horace Mann, when I was placed in the second department I was told that my contract had been terminated because I didn't tell my boss that I had worked at another department within HM. I was not properly trained because my "trainer " was always in meetings or working on her own work. Then I was told that I wasn't catching on quickly enough after working there one month, not even out of "training ".
Productive laid back family owned
Temp Office Admin (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2019
Great company to work for with wonderful growth potential, they offer wonderful benefits along with fair pay and great training opportunities for all employees.
Stressful!
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 9, 2019
Management unreliable , yet micromanaged. They can take off, but the adjuster cant due to high claim volumes- Mgmt is good at managing numbers not people. They don't support the adjusters. Adjusters deal with unreasonable call volume with no time to adjust claims which leads to high claim count due to no closures of claims. Deal with outdated equipment and poor technology.
Don't work at this sweat shop.
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 5, 2019
Don't work for this company, they are replacing workers with offshore and no matter your loyalty or dedications you will likely be fired and replaced with an offshore worker.
Cons
no breaks, 90 hour work week.
Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 4, 2019
I love what I do and my team of Consultants I work with. The collaboration is awesome and we work well together coming up with new and different ideas for each training class. Training has approved the last 2 years with the new approach our team took. Our reduction in class time, efficient redesign allowed additional skills to be added to the training.
Pros
great hours
Cons
job eliminations
Strong Mission
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 21, 2019
Overall Horace Mann has a strong vision and mission. If you believe in supporting Educators it is very hard to not see the value of the company. Every day it was easy to link what I did to how it benefited the education community. The CEO believed extremely strongly in it and communicated that vision almost every time she got the opportunity.

Day to day stress could be challenging with some teams, but from what I have heard this has subsided in many respects since my departure.
Pros
Strong mission, Supports educators, plenty of opportunity to have an impact
Cons
Benefits were very meh
Only Sales People Need Apply
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 5, 2019
If you're hungry salesperson, go for it! This is the job for you! The company is great and their pay is awesome. I can say that if wealth is what you desire, you'll find it here. The relationships you build with schools and the educators in your area are awesome.
Pros
great pay and leadership
Cons
Must be SUPER dedicated/Don't think this is a 9-5!!
A solid place to build a book of business
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 27, 2019
I don't have any issues with Horace Mann as a company - I'm just looking for something less commission based. If you want to work in the financial field, and have an affinity for educators, this is perfect.
Customer Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 4, 2019
Horace Mann is a good company to work for. Often operating like a small family business, the benefits and people are excellent. It's been a pleasure working for a company grounded in its beliefs.
Relaxed, and Fun place to Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJanuary 24, 2019
The manager was very nice, he helped me out if i had any problems or issues, the work was great not to hard, and not to easy, i was kept busy so time flew by as well.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
ran out of work sometimes
Great first step opportunity
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 9, 2019
Great starter position for anyone starting out in the insurance industry, was looking for something a little more challenging, great office and great people to work for and with
Very stressful work environment
Licensed Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 12, 2018
At Horace Mann, the employees take the fall for everything that goes wrong. Management never admits any faults and they are always hiring new VP. The turn over rate is extremely high.
Pros
vacation day
Cons
pay, health care, management
One of main corporate opportunities in Springfield, IL
Marketing and Sales (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 7, 2018
Excellent opportunity for those seeking entry level to mid level job experience.
Corporate leadership is a revolving door that is more often brought in from elsewhere than than investing in growth and development with those with potential. Lots of good talent leaves due to lack of opportunity for growth and advancement.
Learn the insurance industry and the needs and challenges of those in the education sector.
Nice cafeteria for breakfast and lunch.
Updated interior layout and design offers more collaboration.
Pros
wide range of job opportunities and skill levels
Cons
no succession planning or true growth opportunity
Slow Paced
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockton, ILNovember 1, 2018
It was a slow paced job, not enough work. I would be busy for maybe an hour out of the day and then I wouldn't have anything to do, so I would sit and wait for the phone to ring, which sometimes, it never rang.
Pros
If I needed off, I could have time off
Cons
Not many hours
Would not reccomend
Licensed Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 28, 2018
Management was a joke at Horace Mann and it did no good to try to resolve any issues because management did not have your back nor did they hear you out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horace Mann Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss