Horace Mann Insurance Employee Reviews

Slow Paced
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockton, ILNovember 1, 2018
It was a slow paced job, not enough work. I would be busy for maybe an hour out of the day and then I wouldn't have anything to do, so I would sit and wait for the phone to ring, which sometimes, it never rang.
Pros
If I needed off, I could have time off
Cons
Not many hours
Would not reccomend
Licensed Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 28, 2018
Management was a joke at Horace Mann and it did no good to try to resolve any issues because management did not have your back nor did they hear you out.
Good atmosphere
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 18, 2018
I've enjoyed working at Horace Mann as all my managers were very open and worked with me on any scheduling conflicts. Also I've never had any type of issue with any coworkers, as everyone keeps your personal space in consideration.
Pros
Employee outgoing
Cons
Competitive pay
Productive and fun work environment
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 10, 2018
I work from home, so a typical day at work is just working on my laptop or calling clients. It is a fun and safe working environment where I can interact with other people and enjoy work.
High demand low benifit
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHOctober 4, 2018
The agent request a lot of work for little to no pay. Constantly change contract to fit his best interest. Required to do all his processing and quoting and tracking. For commissions was only told to look at BOB to find sales possibilities or old prospects who refused to switch.
Former Employee
Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 29, 2018
I wasted over 20 years of my life giving everything I had to this company! I did meet many wonderful people but this company could care less about long term employees. I could easily name over 15 former employees in the same boat. The HR personnel is a joke, produce lies, and unfulfilled promises are a normal business practice. Customer service reps are subjected to performance measures out of their control. An example is the NPS (net promoter score) goal. Even if a customer calls in to complain about something the service rep who answered the phone had no control of (a poor claim experience is common), the rep answering the phone is accountable for whatever the customer has an issue for. If the customer leaves a negative survey, the poor service rep that had to take the call is responsible. They can have their work shift adjusted or they can even be terminated for poor performance due to something out of their control. If you do question this unethical practice, you will become a target and the bad got for questioning 'leadership'. I believe it led to my release because if I listed the actu reason I was given for my release, you would laugh and the joke! I know I sound digruntled but stay away from this place!!!
Pros
Friends
Cons
Leadership and HR
OK place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 16, 2018
Management is horrible. No work life balance. Nothing interesting about the job. No appreciation is shown for any work you do. Management is horrible.
Horace Mann
Annuities Specialist (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 6, 2018
Most of the company seemed very nice and the people as well. There was however nearly no opportunity for advancement. Additionally, my department specifically demanded a lot of overtime. 3 out of 4 Saturdays were spent working a full eight hour shift.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Overtime
Based on 8 years ago - gaming console in the break room
Senior Claims Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 4, 2018
This was a newer office back then. Hopefully they have ironed out all the issues with procedures, training and management in 8 years.

For instance my manger at the time had worked in the industry for only a year and new nothing about rules and regulations or claims adjuster yet she was the lead did several experienced BI claims adjusters.
Pros
Gaming Console in break room.
Cons
Short breaks. No paid sick leave, inexperienced management staff
Horace Mann is great
Infrastructure Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 11, 2018
Horace Mann is a great place to work and your peers are helpful as well as knowledgeable. I would be interested in working for them again if the chance arose because I learned a lot while working there.
Not what was expected
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 5, 2018
You are on your own, not much help. You have to pay for everything on your own, no help. Not everything was mentioned during interview process. Not a company that employees will stay at long term.
Voted the place to work in Springfield
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 24, 2018
This company has been voted the best place to work in Springfield several times. They insure you have been trained in your duties before placing you on the floor. Once placed, you have access to help by coaches and managers. Managers work with you to help you achieve your goals and are willing to help you advance. Teamwork is encouraged and meetings are scheduled to ensure you have the latest information needed. Since this company is geared toward educators, summer is typically your busiest and most stressful time.
Pros
Great benefits for yourself and spouse, or partner. Management seems to really care.
Cons
Teams frequenty shift due to employee promotions or leaving, this can result in being assigned to a different manager.
Horrible place to work
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMay 16, 2018
They do not give you the proper tools/ongoing training to execute your daily job routine. Mgmt only speaks with you when you made a mistake never praises on the good. My mgr was fake and had her picks on the team. She gave praises and suggest promotion to those that she liked and kissed up to her. No career growth at all and the pay sucks and micro managed.
Pros
Getting a paycheck
Cons
Mgmt
Horrible company culture
Auto Liability Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 26, 2018
I would not recommend working at this company. The procedures are ever changing, management has an uncaring attitude, the pay is not competitive, and upper management is very fake.
Highly Recommended
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 24, 2018
Horace Mann is a great place to work. There's a ton of room for advancement and growth, the pay and benefits are very fair, the actuarial study program is extremely generous, and management is very competent. I like that I am given room to take on more responsibilities, but also have a manager that is approachable and willing to help when necessary. The work is fast paced because there's a lot to do, but I've never felt pressured to work 12 hour days or anything. The only downside is the city of Springfield, where there isn't a whole lot going on.
Agency Owner
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAApril 17, 2018
It was a great opportunity but due to a divorce the timing was not good for me and therefore ended up applying for a position that had a salary. Horace Mann was entirely commission based.
Nice place to work
Sr. Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 9, 2018
If you're willing to put in the time you will be rewarded. There are plenty of opportunities within the company, paid vacation time is fantastic, as are the people.
Family Atmosphere - Collaborative
Executive Assistant to the President & CEO (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 3, 2018
Horace Mann was always varied and interesting. Encouraged to place your "personal spin" on projects/events, as well as collaborate with others. Empowering.
worst company ever worked for
SR. AUTO CLAIMS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 26, 2018
extremely exhausting
extreme lack of management
culture - clicks within departments and managers
no enjoyable part of the job AT THIS COMPANY
hardest part is that to know that immediate managers will not help
Great place to work 20 plus years ago
List Bill Payroll Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 24, 2018
My advice would be if you are hired keep pushing forward. Even if you step on toes. I had no room for advancement and no respect from the manager that took over for the one who was my manager for nearly 20 years. It used to be a great place to work I loved my job. I stayed too long, got to comfortable. I do not like the way they just get rid of employees who had been loyal for over 30 years, saw it one too many times. I chose to leave I hated it in the end. They tell you they want you to advance, and they do not hold you back. My experience was that they do hold you back to make their job easier and then someone else gets the credit for all of your hard work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horace Mann Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss