Horace Mann Insurance Employee Reviews

Very friendly and easily accessible for help and review.
Installation Tech (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 24, 2017
Typical day consisted of coming in, logging in to my PC and reviewing any post assignments. Once those were complete it was time to turn to today work.
Pros
Friendly enviroment, able to ask questions to anyone.
Cons
Temp assignment
Great place to work for
Assistant Regional Vice President (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 11, 2017
Horace Mann has been a great place to work for. My peers actually care about my success and are always willing to help. Great pay and great leadership.
Pros
Great Leadership
Professional, fun, busy environmment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 10, 2017
As the agency Administrative Assistant, I assisted as many as 10 insurance agents as well as the Agency Manager. I loved assisting with agent development from beginning to hire. I made travel arrangements, answered client calls, directed mail, assisted in the planning and development of monthly agency meetings, and participated as speaker in these meetings when assigned. I also assisted in the organization of Regional Meetings. I learned much about organizing my time effectively, developed leadership skills, and enjoyed the companionship of a team environment as well as the value of working independently.

The worst part of my job was when we lost an agent.
Pros
Cons
Losing agents due to their failure to achieve demanding criteria
Like a shaken ant farm
Sr. Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 6, 2017
Horace Mann was great for the first few years. I felt like I was 'making a difference' and help educators. The current management structure is horrid. Minor re-orgs every quarter and major re-orgs twice a year are now the norm. I've been in the same position for 7 years, and am on my fifth boss. The management position above that has changed four times in the same period.
Great Place to Work
IT Asset Management Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, IL 62715June 29, 2017
Horace Mann has a very good culture, and a great sense of family all over the organization. I would recommend Horace Mann to anyone who is looking for a long time career.
Great place to work, with some drawbacks
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 16, 2017
I work in a local Horace Mann office, so it's quite a bit different than working in one of the corporate offices. Horace Mann is a unique company that provides insurance primarily to educators. I like that I can work in a small office but also have access to a large call center of people at any time. With that said, working in a small office also means that I don't get any corporate benefits or pay. Overall, Horace Mann is a great company to work for, but your experience greatly depends on the area where you work. I worked out of the Valdosta office for a year, and averaged 15 new auto policies a month. When I moved to the Macon office, my average dropped to 5.
office relaxed -
Licensed Products Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEJune 4, 2017
great relaxed office- no benefits and very low pay. Hard to make a living working for Horace Mann..which is too bad because loved the office- owner and co workers. All offices may not be the same as far as pay and benefits.
Pros
free lunch sometimes- relaxed office
Cons
terrible pay and no benefits
very professional
Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 24, 2017
Pros

A lot of companies talk about embracing diversity or having an inclusive culture. Horace Mann is one of the few companies I've come across where talent is accepted regardless of the package in which it's wrapped. You don't work with someone just because they checked a box on a certain demographic, you work with a "Jane" or a "Tom" who doesn't care what you look like as long as you are doing the job you were hired to do. There are a lot of good people there working hard and trying their best.

Cons

If you can't roll with changes, this is not the place for you. Auto PD is frequently understaffed which affects intake and pendings. Like many other places, there are favorites who can do no wrong. Deal with it. Budgets and performance goals don't always make sense.
business start up for last year
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, SCMay 15, 2017
start up insurance office. the owner was only working from home with me in the office. I didn't feel much job security or just plain wasn't needed. We just didn't have a customer base established for me to be in the office taking requests or calls.
Relaxed enviorment
Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAMay 9, 2017
I have not been working here long, however It is a great place to work. The boss and staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend to anyone that has the chance to work for this company to do so.
as fun as you make it
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILMay 2, 2017
great place to work if you can have school access and create many leads that result in sales. I loved helping schools and teachers it is so rewarding. Please try this company if you have a chance.
Pros
Free time
Cons
no sales-no money
Management Is the Problem
Auto Physical Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 11, 2017
Horace Mann could be a great company but the management team is poor and micromanage associates who are poorly trained. Advancement is predicated on who you know and who likes you. If you like corporate politics, you will love Horace Mann.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
everything else
Overall Good Place of Employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 30, 2017
Horace Mann Insurance is a good place of steady employment for Clerical and Office Workers. The environment is generally friendly, the building climate is always comfortable, and co-workers tend to be helpful. Any office job can become tedious or monotonous, and so it is not ideal for those prone to more physical positions or stimulation.
It tends to be quiet and uneventful in a pleasant way.
Pros
Calm Office Environment
Cons
Monotonous
Worked for one branch agent
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
I worked for an agent in South Texas where I assisted with help desk and customer service tasks. I was contracted to configure and setup the agents network and computers. I helped the agent setup security firewalls and VPN's so he could connect with Horace Mann's database and increase his business workflow.
Pros
Great company that cares about security and service.
Cons
Contract
Corporate Business World, Busy , Fast Paced, Friendly Company
Corporate Sales Support (Former Employee) –  1 Horace Mann PlazeMarch 7, 2017
I worked for the HMGA ( Horace Mann General Agency ) we did small commercial, property , casualty , auto sales for as a third party vendor for our agents in multiple states. I was responsible for many files, faxing, phone calls coming in and going out. I processed quotes once an agent sent us a lead sheet , we put together the quote, and sent back to the agent for the client to review. Once the quote was accepted by the client, I bound the policy , processed payments, spoke to the various carriers and vendors to complete the sale.
work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Maxton, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Great job .........enjoyed learned alot from others and enjoyed my work. I leared alot during the time i worked there. Anyone would like working there
Pros
working by yourself
Cons
no benifits
Absolutely wonderful
Licensed Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 27, 2016
If I was not being relocated for my husband's job I could see myself here until retirement. The leadership goes above and beyond what is typical of most major companies. They truly do care about their employees and want them to succeed.
I just didnt enjoy it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VADecember 13, 2016
I worked from home which everyone thinks is amazing but I'm used to working customer service jobs and I am a social butterfly so I just didn't enjoy sitting in front of a computer all day every day.
Good place to call home
Director, Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 21, 2016
At Horace Mann I felt really supported as an employee and felt that I could make a difference in my own career as well make tangible contribution to the customers.
Supportive people
Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 27, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Horace Mann. They have been very supportive on many levels. They helped me set up and get have been supportive by sending support staff and people are always available via phone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horace Mann Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss