Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Overwhelming call center

Maybe other positions aren’t so bad, but if you’re thinking of any call center positions, find a therapist now or have a high level a patience. Poor communication and leadership from management makes your job a lot harder. Theres zero morale here, no one makes you feel like “Yes, today’s gonna be a good day!” There’s a lot of pressure and unrealistic expectations for perfect work, and they want it done it fast. You get 2 minutes in between calls to document notes, and at 2:01 you will be messaged to get back on phones. You’re also given 2 hrs a week to work on things off the phone, when that time comes it’s always “cancelled” making it impossible to complete work in a timely manner, which is expected. As a person who already works at a fast pace, this job has made me so overwhelmed, I had my first anxiety attack ever. I never questioned my mental and emotional health until being here. Come with very high tolerance.

Pros

Job protection with being in the Union

Cons

Short breaks, micromanaged, poor leadership from management, no morale, high pressured job

Great benefits

The benefits are good and they try and work with you . The production and metrics are the mainly the only focus that it creates anxiety and takes away from the fun part of the job and the resolution focused part

Stressful

Stressful working in call center. Great benefits but I would never advise someone to apply. Workforce will IM you for being in after call at 2 minutes even if you were on a call for about 45 minutes. The expectation is not realistic.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

The diverse group of people. In some cases, a family like atmosphere.

This job like most can be stressful. There is a lot to remember. You are always taking courses and learning about more products. So if customer service is for you. I say go for it. You can move up the ladder quickly if you show determination and patience.

Productive and exciting atmosphere.

Great employees and management who understands and works with you to the better of all concerned. Employees are very well compensated and the benefits are great!!

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Horizon is not the same

Horizon was an ok place to work as for as far as compensation and benefits. They were pretty consistent with making you feel valued as an employee but now people are leaving in droves. One problem with Horizon is management. They are horrible!! They micro manage, they are petty, they are bullies and they make horizon a horrible place to work. If you like being give tasks with little to no training, being given time limits on phone calls and follow up work that are nearly impossible to meet and if you like being given more and more work for the same pay because people are leaving and not being replaced then Horizon is the place for you! Christmas of 2019 was the first year we got nothing for the holidays.

BS/BS is a very good company to work for

BS/BS was the best company that I have worked for. BS/BS also take’s the time, always for workers with disabilities. I know and think that is so AWESOME.

Poor work/life balance, overworked managers, and ridiculous metrics

The work/life balance at this company is barely manageable, if not impossible to achieve. Reps are micromanaged by managers, who are micromanaged by supervisors, who are further micromanaged by directors. The training regimen absolutely does not prepare customer service reps for what customers will actually call in about, and when it comes time to answer a difficult question, you're forced to shift through a poorly designed and terribly slow proprietary database, and then prepare a ticket using an obsolete and unsupported CRM system that was phased out over ten years ago. The ridiculous non-standard metrics that the company expects their employees to achieve are nearly unreachable due to aged and often nonresponsive VoIP and ticketing software. Much of the technology used to keep claim records is over decades old, with mainframe clients dating back as far as 1990. The company is very reluctant to make any major updates or upgrades, and has been the source of ire from members and critics as a result of data leaks and HIPAA violations in the past.

Horizon

Inland Customer Service Reps work very hard to try and meet the daily quotas. Numbers are important at Horizon. Good part of Horizon is that you are in a Union.

I learned the most about claims at this job.

I loved working with members, processing claims,, resolving problems. I learned a lot of about coding and adjustments at this job. This was one of my favorite jobs, however they prefer quantity over quality.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey?

A typical day

Working in the patient services department was very active/busy. You need to be sensitive to the needs of others in order to successfully work in this field.

Disclaimer: Don't apply

You cannot live off the pay...you are not paid what the job is worth. management sucks..no room for advancement.. constant micro management..never rewarded for a job well done.

What ive learned

i learned how to work as a customer service representative. They allowed me to improve my skills in communication, and professionalism. Great place to work if you want to improve some skills

busy hours

Long hours with countless calls. A very busy day Monday thru Friday. Sometimes worked weekends, but it is an enjoyable company to work for. I have learned to de escalate irate callers.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

healthcare benefits

Great Place to work

The only downside was the layoffs. Horizon has taught me most about customer service and claims and understanding healthcare which trickled over into my real life, which is has been helpful

Work at home is amazing!

Definitely worth the experience. They require you to stay in your position for 18 months before applying elsewhere. They have a increase cap...you can only go up 2 pay grades at a time. Work at home for most is 1-2 days a week. Depends on your department and manager unfortunately.

Great stepping stone, can be very stressful and micromanaged

You have to be opened to change. If you are a person that does not like change or speaking to people on the phone, this job is not for you. Started out with about 4 months of training. Some of it was fun, some was not. You do learn a lot but there are some things they cannot train you for. Once you get up on the floor, the fun is over. Typical day you can take anywhere from 25-40 calls a day. You are on a strict schedule and if you are off the phone and it is not your scheduled time, someone will call your line or send you an instant message. You get a 15 min AM break, a 30 minute lunch (sucks) and a 10 min PM break. You are reviewed on a monthly basis, you have to meet certain numbers and be within adherence, you have to maneuver through at least 10 systems a day. Only good thing is some of the people that work here. Morale here is very low. Big company but they can do better with functions and showing appreciation to their employees. You don't have enough time in the day to do what you have to do, it is very easy to fall behind here. You basically are glued to your desk, if not you are out of adherence.

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Cafe

Cons

Limited break, hours, Adherence

Poor Over worked enviornment

This job is very stressful and poor to no communication with management. Most workers are stressed and depressed and under appreciated. Most customers services reps do multiple jobs and multiple trainings and receive no promotions

Pros

paid time off

Cons

poor communication

Fast paced working envioroment

I enjoyed the various conversations between Patients, doctors and pharmacies. .Every call was a challenge not knowing what type of call your going to encounter. I work with a great team.

Great environment for working

I was very happy at this company. The work was steady and informative. I liked the company programs as well as it's overall atmosphere. I never intended to leave but unfortunately it was inevitable.

Pros

Company mugs

Cons

I was laid off

Fun workplace

A typical day at Horizon, would be to answer calls in a call center relating to people's insurance premium, explaining their benefits. Also, handling escalated calls on submitting provider claims for payment.

Pros

Company parties

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey with

Career recommendations for Customer Service Representative

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more

Popular locations for Customer Service Representative in US