Hornbeck Offshore Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent
Senior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMay 26, 2018
Typically a hectic day. I would determine the vessel modifications requirement to meet the contract requirements. Then I would write a work scope detailing the required modifications. I would then do an estimated cost to perform the required modifications.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Down turned market
Very good college job
Hunting and Fishing Guide (Current Employee) –  Lovelady, TXMay 20, 2018
you get paid to hunt and fish, can't beat it. You only work on the weekends so you don't get behind in school.
you make some great connections.
you work from friday to sunday, the housing is great and the chef makes some of the best food you'll ever eat.
good place to work
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAApril 5, 2018
it started off really good but the oil field started to decline and they had to lay up vessels, and allot of people were laid off and salaries were cut.

but the company was willing to work with you on any issues you may have.

overall had a good experience there.
can change in a minute
Third Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 13, 2018
Hornbeck offshore can be a good company to work for it just depends on who you're working with. there is a disconnect between the office and the ships. those who organize the schedule don't seem to care much which makes it hard to want to stay there as other companies will treat you more like a person.
Pros
free food, decent pay
Cons
short breaks, don't pay for travel most times.
Review of the work ethic
Able Bodied Seaman (Former Employee) –  COVINGTON, LAMarch 12, 2018
Quick work flow maintenance and etc. This job had great benefits and great pay the people and work environment was great also until the down turn. People started to get laid of and had to jump or vessel to vessel. But over all in order to stay afloat they did what was in the best interest of the company.
Overall
Recruiting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 31, 2018
As a recruiting assistant I saw the company group massive while I was there. The company still has a great future. Unfortunately I had to leave so that I could work closer to home.
Benefits
Cons
Distance
Originally a great place to work but upper management lost their way in keeping accountability priority.
Mate (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 24, 2018
I found working at HOS interesting, at first we had vessel managers that actually worked offshore or had a USCG license but as time elapsed vessel manager's became someones buddy that needed a job, with no concept of vessel management. Middle management was clueless in a lot of instances. There were also vessel Masters who thought they didn't actually have to do anything bet be the figurehead on board the vessel. The culture was very oppressive in the days leading up to mass furloughing.
Great
Able Bodied Seaman Unlimited (Current Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 10, 2018
Great place to work! Its an amazing place to work offshore. I enjoy working here but I wish we could get paid more. I love my vessel and I love the crew that I work with.
safe stable working environment
Watercraft Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LANovember 3, 2017
same as most other offshore oil companies these days they are very safety oriented. they take input from all their employees very seriously and use that information to maintain safe work zone.
le summary of Hornbeck offshore
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAOctober 2, 2017
The work was decent, the pay was good. They just could not afford to keep me at that company. That and I needed to move on with my career to be quite honest.
Pros
The food was constant
Cons
Horrible wifi, stuck at sea for long periods of time
Run from this company
Chief Engineer, Chief Limited Oceans (Former Employee) –  Covington, LASeptember 14, 2017
This is one of the worst companies to work for. If you get hired on they will let you work for a full hitch about 4 to 6 weeks. This will allow the company to do the spot job market. After the company does the job they let you go home and never let you come back. They have the worst crew coordinators in history and treat you very bad.
Pros
non
Cons
too many to name here
Good place to work, very rewarding.
Operations Coordinator & Manager (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAAugust 30, 2017
Hornbeck Offshore Services is an excellent place to work in my opinion, the only reason I left was to accept a position with Shell; the major draw to Shell for me was their pension plan.
Pros
Hands on owner.
Cons
Long hours.
Good
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2017
Good but market is tough since 2014. Good opportunity to work in the field and get field experience. Culture could be better, family owned business so
Pros
Pay
Typical Oilfield Company
Mate (Former Employee) –  Port Fourchon, LAMay 10, 2017
HOS is a typical oilfield company. Its feast or famine for sure. When oilfield slowed down many good mariners lost there jobs and pays were cut for the ones that were left to barely a livable wage. When things are good its a good company to work for.
Crew Coordinator for Domestic and International (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 9, 2017
Great place to work, I learned about the offshore support vessel industry and truly enjoyed my job. Management was good, workplace culture was excellent. Hardest part of the job was always being on call and the unrealistic expectations of a few and the most enjoyable part of the job was providing support to the men and women that worked offshore and kept us employed !
Pros
great people, benefits and workplace culture
Cons
just the few bad apples, every company has a few !
Job Bouncing
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 3, 2017
This company was good, but did allot of bouncing to various vessels, and the management was very pushing in trying to complete things against company polices and the CEO was never informed of some of these items.
Management lies to you
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 2, 2017
I wasnot happy with management they routinely lie to employees about company soundness & prospects for not winding up in the unemployment line
Great working here.
FLEET MAINTENANCE SHIPYARD PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAFebruary 22, 2017
Because of the oil industry down turn, the job i had was no longer necessary and was laid off. Great Company to work for prior to this market turn. Shipyard project manager was a great position.
Compensations below average
Buyer I (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAFebruary 9, 2017
Positive is they let you work without being managed, allow you to do your job. You are given responsibilities and have confidence in your ability to complete task.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Raise and promotions are rare
Captain
Captain and Dynamic Position Operator (Former Employee) –  Covington, LA 70433December 26, 2016
I've found if your looking for a position they always seem to be hiring. The revolving door is always swinging. If you are not drinking the kool aid you will not flourish in this organization.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Poor benefits package