Hornbeck Offshore Services Employee Reviews

Great Job
Able Seaman Unlimited (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 10, 2019
I learned a lot from working at Hornbeck. Safety is key with this company and they follow it to the T.Made great money when times were good and then had to quit when the gulf bottomed out. Otherwise Id still be at Hornbeck.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Fair company to work for
engineer (Current Employee) –  Covington louisianaJanuary 3, 2019
Working for them isnt bad but as an employee, you are merely a number to them. The work isnt bad and the boats are nice. Benefits are fair considering the condition of the industry. Things have changed alot over the course of my employment there but over all not a terrible company to work for
QMED Oiler (Former Employee) –  Port Fourchon, LADecember 10, 2018
Productive place to work, good crew and easy to work with. The crew was very helpful and understanding. Front office was hard to work with, never helped, was all last minute and were hard to get ahold of.
Oil service industry is still slow
captain (Current Employee) –  LADecember 8, 2018
28 days is too long to be away from my family. i dont think the oil service sector is going to recover anytime soon. it is hurting themarine sector more thanthe land based sectors.
Pros
a job
Cons
gone for 28 days
Don't care about their employees at all, lie about what they will pay
Captain, Relief Captain (Former Employee) –  Port FourNovember 28, 2018
Bad experience with them, don't follow through on what they say they will pay employees. Don't care about employees at all. Fear based management style. Always threatened with being fired for BS things.
28/14 sucked
Electrician / Electro-Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LANovember 21, 2018
I didn't mind working at HOS but found some of the rules were a bit archaic and certainly didn't like working 28/14. No sick days if you are injured you aren't paid.
MPSV Mate & DPO (Former Employee) –  Covington, LASeptember 16, 2018
Hornbeck is a very good company to work for, safety is very high on list, along with customer satisfaction. Hornbeck enabled me to go from AB to Chief Mate.
Poorly Managed
CHIEF MATE / RELIEF MASTER / OICNW (Former Employee) –  Port FourchonSeptember 15, 2018
They were good to start with and the Pay was fair, The Boats were Poorly Managed from Shore Side supervisors. Logistics was poor and when the Industry started falling off there methods of cutting people loose was Suspect of borderline Illegal.
Pros
Pay and Boat Handling Opportunities
Cons
Poorly Managed from Shoresidee
follow up to retirement
Maritime Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LASeptember 10, 2018
I worked here following my 20 years serving in the navy. I was quite thankful that I was able to join this company. They made the transition from military to civilian life easy.
its not that great
Third Assistant Engineer (Current Employee) –  covington LouisianaAugust 30, 2018
at first ithought it would be good but then i saw how much we werent making compared to other companies that pay more and then they made us buy uniforms and we dont get travel pay
was good, -- until down turn and was - in Head count reduction
Port Engineer (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 20, 2018
awesome group of people to work with

learned new equipment

safety major priority

all ways trying to take care of employees

Awesome Christmas party!!!
Pros
lot of training, annual training at main office
Cons
was not ready for lay off -- stoped medical day of lay off
Excellent
Senior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMay 26, 2018
Typically a hectic day. I would determine the vessel modifications requirement to meet the contract requirements. Then I would write a work scope detailing the required modifications. I would then do an estimated cost to perform the required modifications.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Down turned market
Very good college job
Hunting and Fishing Guide (Current Employee) –  Lovelady, TXMay 20, 2018
you get paid to hunt and fish, can't beat it. You only work on the weekends so you don't get behind in school.
you make some great connections.
you work from friday to sunday, the housing is great and the chef makes some of the best food you'll ever eat.
good place to work but minor detractors
Able bodied seaman (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMay 18, 2018
i learned how to moor the vessel, paint within guidelines and stand navigational watch but it became frustrating when logistics fell through and vessel had to move often or crew change was put off for a day.
Pros
growing business opertunity for advancement
Cons
time away from home, lack of flexiblity on career path
good place to work
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAApril 5, 2018
it started off really good but the oil field started to decline and they had to lay up vessels, and allot of people were laid off and salaries were cut.

but the company was willing to work with you on any issues you may have.

overall had a good experience there.
can change in a minute
Third Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 13, 2018
Hornbeck offshore can be a good company to work for it just depends on who you're working with. there is a disconnect between the office and the ships. those who organize the schedule don't seem to care much which makes it hard to want to stay there as other companies will treat you more like a person.
Pros
free food, decent pay
Cons
short breaks, don't pay for travel most times.
Review of the work ethic
Able Bodied Seaman (Former Employee) –  COVINGTON, LAMarch 12, 2018
Quick work flow maintenance and etc. This job had great benefits and great pay the people and work environment was great also until the down turn. People started to get laid of and had to jump or vessel to vessel. But over all in order to stay afloat they did what was in the best interest of the company.
Overall
Recruiting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 31, 2018
As a recruiting assistant I saw the company group massive while I was there. The company still has a great future. Unfortunately I had to leave so that I could work closer to home.
Benefits
Cons
Distance
Originally a great place to work but upper management lost their way in keeping accountability priority.
Mate (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 24, 2018
I found working at HOS interesting, at first we had vessel managers that actually worked offshore or had a USCG license but as time elapsed vessel manager's became someones buddy that needed a job, with no concept of vessel management. Middle management was clueless in a lot of instances. There were also vessel Masters who thought they didn't actually have to do anything bet be the figurehead on board the vessel. The culture was very oppressive in the days leading up to mass furloughing.
Great
Able Bodied Seaman Unlimited (Current Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 10, 2018
Great place to work! Its an amazing place to work offshore. I enjoy working here but I wish we could get paid more. I love my vessel and I love the crew that I work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hornbeck Offshore Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Hornbeck Offshore Services Reviews by Location