Hornblower Cruises & Events Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Chef de Cuisine/Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2018
Good place to work with good benefits. Generous family meal. Yearly trip for management staff and bonus potential. Must like working on moving boat/boats.
Fair
Server (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 19, 2018
Very physical keeps you in shape. Very good hourly pay but tips vary and sometimes there are no tips. Are required to work on weekends but are good if you work another job during the week. Must request days off months in advance.
Pros
High hourly wage
Cons
No tips sometimes and busy and slow seasons change dramatically
Fun Job
Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 14, 2018
Hornblower is a very relaxed place to work. There are times of high stress, but they reward you for it. If I still lived in the area, I would try to work there again.
Summanry
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Hornblower is a well-run company. As a deckhand, I am responsible for keeping an eye on the engine room, oil, coolant anti-freeze and possible fire hazards.

A big part of my job is taking care of customers as they board and disembark the vessel. I have learned how to get the boat boarded at a quick pace and have also learned line-handling skills.

The managers work close together and there is at least 1-2 on post when the vessels are out in the harbor.

I would say the hardest part of the job is keeping up with the schedule. Many times potential riders ask me continuous questions about schedules and it can be hard to politely turn away from them. It's a real challenge at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being out on the water. No matter how hard the day is, being out on the water.
Fun workplace
Server/Steward (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2018
The atmosphere is one thing you would never get tired of, the idea of being surrounded by music, food, and free cruise around the Hudson river is a dream.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Scary looking managers, lol!
A productive, fun, work environment
Event Manager/Stew (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAFebruary 6, 2018
A typical day at HB is pretty relaxed. From first clocking in, most of the time what you need to get done prior the event is already designated for you. The events themselves 9 out of 10 times are simple and easy. The work environment is pretty fun. Management is good. I think they communicate well with all the employees. The hardest part of the job...I personally don't think there is a hard part about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job I would say are the actual events themselves. The people come to have a good time and they do!
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible schedule
Cons
Stability
stressful and very demanding
Server/Steward (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2018
Hornblower can be a very demanding job also very stressful. sometimes you would have fun with the guest and some events will put you at ease only cause there isn't alot of work to do but it can weigh you down.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no raises
Fast pace
Expediter/Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10014January 17, 2018
Working at Hornblower would keep you on your toes because you never know when the client wants to change something last minute. Although it'll keep you busy, you get to try new things.
Pros
Meeting different types of people
Cons
Barely got any breaks
Could have been a good job.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 17, 2017
So when I worked there my boss was drinking and made me dig through the trash twice in one night thinking a strainer and a juice container was in the garbage. Nothing was in there btw. The next day the captain came in and said some of the tills have been short. I saw where it was going and quit a week later. Never had a boss have me dig through the trash in front of customers or other wise so yeah. Bad experience. I was on the old sacramento river cruises boat the capitol.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
I dont drink soda
Hornblower
Cruise Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
If you want to work for here apply as a server or bartender and don't settle for less otherwise its not worth the pay.

Its a good summer job you can get up to 40 + hours every week, plus the events and the views on the yachts are worth it.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
short breaks even on a 18+ hour shift they barely give you any type of break
Overall good but management needs improvement
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 20, 2017
I worked here for just about two years and i really enjoyed it. We rode the yachts almost everyday as employees and it was a lot of fun. As a part of the food and beverage team we executed the parties for clients every cruise. Some went well but some didn't, I didn't want to leave this job but i had too. The management was good but needed some work it was obvious the company cared for the managers much more than the regular employees. Overall the company is good, it is up and coming with a bright future. I don't have any hard feelings for this company and i wish them all the best. In a nutshell the boats are dirty inside, the food is mediocre, the pay is well and the benefits are good for the managers. For the part time employees they don't get much love and they make up a large percentage of the Guest services team. As a customer they are very overpriced for the service they offer. If you like boats and like working on the water, this might be the place for you.
Not so great working in the Marine Department
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
Long and horrible hours. Hours are all over the place. basically get no life outside of work. Receive your weekly hours once a week so you don't know your schedule until each sunday afternoon/evening. Can't really plan anything in advance unless you ask for the time off. As a deckhand all your basically doing is cleaning up after the mess all the asians make in the bathrooms during the harbor tours and the sometimes finding people passed out on the bathroom floor from drinking too much on the booze cruises and being left behind from their friends.
It is a good job
Chef (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2017
A typical day at work is a race against time to get everything ready. Judging by you or your peers makes up the outcome if you either get ahead or fall behind. Management is about neutral, sometimes it is professional and sometimes it is not. Workplace culture is work as fast and efficient as possible to get ahead of the clock. Hardest part of the job would be transportation issues for events. Most enjoyable part was the experience and knowledge gained from constantly working with food.
Pros
Food
Cons
Sometimes no breaks if falling behind
Any day
Concessions Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 13, 2017
It sucked. Management is a joke no matter where they put you. People curse at each other on a more than regular basis. And on a more than regular basis you will be blamed for accidents that weren't your fault, and expected to work in pretty poor conditions.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, HR doesn't care about you, work you to the bone
fun job but no team
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2017
job description and schedule can change every day. Not ok. I think the parent company is good, but this division needs some serious help. Support your workers, please.
Loved it !
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
Work was just great. I worked on big ships with some many employees but we all know how to get the job done. We all worked together. It was a wonderful experience. Management was so understanding and supportive.
Good management but little benefits
Steward (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2017
Hard job not for most of the hospitality industry workers. If somebody care about the race, it'd better no work there because you have to face some kind of people you dislike every day.
Fun entertainment and Hospitality Company
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2017
This was a slow paced accounts for cash job. Nice coworkers, not much room for advancement. Mandatory work furlough in winter right at holiday time was not a pro for me.
Fun place of work.
Dock Attendant (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAJuly 26, 2017
The environment here is pretty fun and relaxing, especially if you are into boats and the ocean. You definitely want to make sure you are a people's person in order to work for this company.
Productive, challenging, and lots of food
Prep Cook-(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2017
A fun experience but challenging when it came to preparing and presenting food. A congested work environment but fun working with the other cooks. Learned a ton of information from the cooks. Sometimes the management was hard to deal with at times but was able to get the job done and enjoy making great food. On the other hand, transporting food to different boats took time away from prepping and was extra work.
Pros
Down time after rush, interact with guests, nice view of the city
Cons
Transporting food to other boats, packed kitchen