Hornblower Cruises & Events
64Average

Hornblower Cruises & Events Employee Reviews

Never a dull moment
The company is growing in leaps and bounds which can lead to some interesting challenges. No one should ever be bored working for Hornblower. Extremely innovative and forward thinking senior leadership team.
Incredible established water-based hospitality and events
Creating amazing experiences for over 28 years. Recent changes for an aggressive expansion is very interesting, excited to see the hyper growth. Team is family. Sales leadership has the opportunity to be transformative, beyond sincere.
Favoritisms. No money.
No money to be made
Tips are scarce

Dangerous working environment

Low morale

Communication from upper management is pitiful

Managers are petty

Low hours
Great to meet new people
I learned a lot there as well. HR and management is great! The front of the house is a total 💩show unfortunately. Lots of room for growth if you network professionally.
Pros
Yummy food, health insurance, 401k retirement plan
Cons
Discrimination, drug abuse, stealing
Fun work environment
You get to meet new people each and every day that come onto the boat. It is a fun atmosphere to work in, and it is definitely better than a desk job.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
My first job since emigrated to the United States.
This is a wonderful experience for me, having my first job, since I emigrated to the United States....the company really create an amazing experience.
Time of my life!
Working at Hornblower Cruises & Events was such a thrill. You meet and interact with new people everyday, the work environment was outstanding & you are on a cruise, with a bomb Dj and lovely people. Just be professional and perform well and people will gravitate to you.
Great Work
Everything was great at work best day was 4th of July and the hardest part was I lost my phone the night before everyone was great too me and really love work on a boat it was a piece of mind would love to see what this year brings this summer
poor management
No communication within the company and poor management from above. At the captain level we are adequately compensated but you must work nights and weekends.
Productive, energetic, flexibility and career growth
They are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and value the work ethics of there employees. Hornblower is a very good company to work for and is a great opportunity for career growth in the hospitality industry.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hornblower Cruises & Events?
Got sexuality harrassed by an employee on the job. Little to no growth on the job. Sexist men on the job.
Nothing much to say. Didnt like management there. Less materials, to many sexist men there. Was harrassed a couple of times. So no i wouldnt recommend anyone to apply unless you are really desperate for a job.

No room for growth. Didnt get a chance to become a server.

The hardest part as a dishwasher is that y you
Pros
Good events and parties
Cons
Bad management
Excellent working place
Overall, a good job. You work with the public, meet people. You meet the tourists, get to interact with the tourists. It would be better to have higher pay & some more benefits. Easy commute to & from work.
Pros
Meet the tourists, East commute to/from work
Cons
The pay should be higher & could use additional benefits
Fun for me in working specially at summer time, happy place in Pier 40
I am enjoying my daily work in boat/ship maintaining or performing the safe and efficient operation, repair, overhauling of pumps and engine. Ensuring that the boat safety and protection of environment are in good condition. Safety in work place and safety of passenger is the greatest goal.
Nice working in the harbor
Nice company, nice management overall. A few crew members are great, but the rest lack personality and shouldn't be in hospitality at all. For example, a bartender should be friendly and carry on conversation with a smile.
Flexible time
Daily work activities include, cleaning and providing an amazing experience
Customers enjoy their time while riding company boats

Management is a concern, but do not provide support

Getting the whole team on the same page

Working on boats
Good job for the money!
Boats are great, food is excellent, guests are awesome and festive, people who work there are not nice, very self oriented, managers are out for themselves starting at the top!
Bartender
Work long hours all summer. Pay isn’t worth all the manual labor put in BEFORE event even starts. Bar manager doesn't know what he’s doing but always has an attitude. Coworkers are known thieves but management does care. it’s quantity over quality at this place. They keep making changes to nightlife which results in bartenders not making any money in tips. job isn’t worth it for what you get paid or for what you deal with day to day
The job as a whole makes the entire thing fun
I have worked at Hornblower for over 10 years and I really enjoy the people that I work with and serve.
Not to mention that I couldn't ask for a better boss that what I have.

He is amazing.

N/a
Extremely hard work for minimum wage. Not much room for advancement. Bartender/servers are required to do both duties plus bussing, some cooking, some dishwashing, food prep and deck hand duties. Hours are long, pay rate is minimum!
Had issues over the years
I love my job but don’t like not having a set schedule or knowing what time I’m getting off. I am always drained after work. The “slow season” is winter. Not that can be an issue. I by-in large like the people I work with.
Fun to be on a boat and in environment
Cool place to work and you get to meet a lot of fun people. They are not great with time off and they are pretty always busy. You do get to go under the Golden Gate Bridge a lot which is awesome and the general environment is fun
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hornblower Cruises & Events. Our community is ready to answer.