Hornblower Cruises & Events

Hornblower Cruises & Events Employee Reviews

Productive, energetic, flexibility and career growth
They are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and value the work ethics of there employees. Hornblower is a very good company to work for and is a great opportunity for career growth in the hospitality industry.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Got sexuality harrassed by an employee on the job. Little to no growth on the job. Sexist men on the job.
Nothing much to say. Didnt like management there. Less materials, to many sexist men there. Was harrassed a couple of times. So no i wouldnt recommend anyone to apply unless you are really desperate for a job.

No room for growth. Didnt get a chance to become a server.

The hardest part as a dishwasher is that y you
Pros
Good events and parties
Cons
Bad management
Excellent working place
Overall, a good job. You work with the public, meet people. You meet the tourists, get to interact with the tourists. It would be better to have higher pay & some more benefits. Easy commute to & from work.
Pros
Meet the tourists, East commute to/from work
Cons
The pay should be higher & could use additional benefits
Fun for me in working specially at summer time, happy place in Pier 40
I am enjoying my daily work in boat/ship maintaining or performing the safe and efficient operation, repair, overhauling of pumps and engine. Ensuring that the boat safety and protection of environment are in good condition. Safety in work place and safety of passenger is the greatest goal.
Nice working in the harbor
Nice company, nice management overall. A few crew members are great, but the rest lack personality and shouldn't be in hospitality at all. For example, a bartender should be friendly and carry on conversation with a smile.
Flexible time
Daily work activities include, cleaning and providing an amazing experience
Customers enjoy their time while riding company boats

Management is a concern, but do not provide support

Getting the whole team on the same page

Working on boats
Good job for the money!
Boats are great, food is excellent, guests are awesome and festive, people who work there are not nice, very self oriented, managers are out for themselves starting at the top!
Bartender
Work long hours all summer. Pay isn’t worth all the manual labor put in BEFORE event even starts. Bar manager doesn't know what he’s doing but always has an attitude. Coworkers are known thieves but management does care. it’s quantity over quality at this place. They keep making changes to nightlife which results in bartenders not making any money in tips. job isn’t worth it for what you get paid or for what you deal with day to day
The job as a whole makes the entire thing fun
I have worked at Hornblower for over 10 years and I really enjoy the people that I work with and serve.
Not to mention that I couldn't ask for a better boss that what I have.

He is amazing.

N/a
Extremely hard work for minimum wage. Not much room for advancement. Bartender/servers are required to do both duties plus bussing, some cooking, some dishwashing, food prep and deck hand duties. Hours are long, pay rate is minimum!
Had issues over the years
I love my job but don’t like not having a set schedule or knowing what time I’m getting off. I am always drained after work. The “slow season” is winter. Not that can be an issue. I by-in large like the people I work with.
Fun to be on a boat and in environment
Cool place to work and you get to meet a lot of fun people. They are not great with time off and they are pretty always busy. You do get to go under the Golden Gate Bridge a lot which is awesome and the general environment is fun
Awesome crew and management
Truly enjoy being a Captain on the Spirit of Boston. I wish they had more day cruises, as it's difficult to be a single dad and work only nights and weekends, but the management did a pretty solid job getting me hours where they could.
Good customer service oriented environment
good for a 20 years old boy due to lots of heavy lifting n in some instances dangerous.
Working culture clicky. Management not particularly professional.

Can be fun at time being on boats and meeting new people.
Great atmosphere and lovely working on the water
Everyday will be a different charter and experience with the guests. You come in a couple of hours before to get the place set up for each adventure. Once we're all done we go to break and then change into our all black server uniform. The uniform consists of black slacks, black long button up shirt, black non slip shoes and an apron around our waist. You get to add fun to guests experience on the water and it's the best.
Cut throat, Dishonest, poor conditions
Lots of Nepotism, alcohol and drug use, from workers to poor management, very vendictive and corrupt, Not veteran friendly, Complete lack of integrity, compensation and opportunity for advancement is none existing unless you look the other way or related, Well known for Illegal dumping of sewage at piers to broken down (unsafe) boats, you will be retaliated or lose your job for reporting unsafe conditions
Pros
Nice views, Customers are great
Cons
Lacking INTEGRITY and Work ETHICS, Poor Mngmnt, Drug & Alcohol veryunsafe.
Good job bad management
The job was good, I enjoyed the ppl I worked with. The management on the other hand was lack luster and all together unorganized. Most of the managers were very childish with favoritism
Fast paced and diverse work place.
The work environment is very social and overall positive. Depending on the weather and season it can be a very slow day or extremely busy. The hardest yet simultaneously most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with passengers as there can be language barriers that interrupt the flow of information being given. Translator apps are very handy in this industry.
Pros
Meeting a lot of new people from all over the world
Cons
Short breaks, lack of healthcare benefits.
Not the place to work fulltime
A typical work day is usually 8+ hours, unless you're a manager than you may come and go as you please. Culture has been taking a steady decline along with compensation. The hardest part of the job were the long hours, possible seasickness that some people were prone to and dealing with the poor management. Also, the complete lack of compensation and opportunity for advancement. The best parts of the job were the coworkers and the view. Working aboard a boat is amazing when you have such great captains, first officers and bartenders.
Pros
You get to work on the bay
Cons
The company, High turnover rate in management
Beautiful setting, low morale
Working here was fun for about a month. Till you realize all the bureaucracy involved with your career here. Your not going to move up. This is not a easy summer job! And the hours die down in the winter, so if you were planning something try doing it with no money. Bonuses? Nope quotas are ridiculous. And not based on individual performance. Sales team is overpaid and if you refer a big group to them using referral slip they probably throw the slip away and take credit! Anyways avoid working here all these comments are probably from people in food and beverage who get paid 14 an hour or more. It’s sucks!!!
N/a
I have learned so much from working here , met so many different kinds of people . From being just a boat cleanser to becoming a supervisor made a impact in my life .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hornblower Cruises & Events. Our community is ready to answer.