Horry County Schools Employee Reviews

Collaborative and Rewarding
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 19, 2019
I worked in Horry County Schools for 8 years and enjoyed my years there. I was surrounded by many colleagues that had the ability to work together and collaborate to make the educational environment productive. I felt valued by the district, colleagues, parents, and students. I felt the district provided many opportunities to hone my craft as an educator through district professional development and by allowing educators the ability to attend out of district conferences.
Very Productive
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCMay 31, 2019
A typical day at work for me would be to come dressed in my work uniform and prepare to transport the children to and from school. The supervisor is very laid back as long as you do your job and what is asked of you. The workplace culture is very great and get to meet and get to know others everyday.
Benefits
Cons
n/a
school
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMay 27, 2019
work is fine, i have no issues, the hardest part of the job is not knowing when you will get a substitute assignment. The culture is great. The enjoyable thing about the job is working with children.
Management is terrible.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Carolina Forest, SCMay 17, 2019
There is no cooperation between management and drivers, and school administrators do not act upon driver or student complaints about unruly and unsafe students on buses.
Pros
Weekends and Summers off.
Cons
Management and unruly children
Good jod
Transportation Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCApril 9, 2019
I enjoy what i do. Its not about just driving a bus, its also about safety of the students,, yourself and others out on the road. I truly love and enjoy my job
Pros
Love the fact that im off during the weekends, holidays and the summer and work a second job if need be.
Cons
The pay needs to be alot more, as well as well as up dating some of the buses, thats has no ac
Not the greatest job
Special Needs Driver (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 23, 2019
The transportation department is riddled with favoritism and backhanded benefits for the "Good Ol' Boy Network". Do not plan to advance beyond what they feel is your station as a driver. Many times we are told we are lucky to even have jobs, which doesn't necessarily encourage morale and participation. Management frequently messes up and blames the driver, or doesn't back the driver when issues with students occur.
Hard, but rewarding work
Middle School English teacher (Current Employee) –  Horry County, SCMarch 18, 2019
As a public school teacher I worked hard, but was trained well.The hardest part of the job is juggling all of the daily work. Answering emails and grading papers.
Too many Chief's
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 5, 2019
The Drivers that's not trying to be a Chief seem to be nice. I had the Female Driver Trainer, she is Nasty, Rude, and Unprofessional. Sometimes she takes the roll of the Supervisor, Secretary, or Lead Driver, but she hate having to Drive a Routed Bus.
Pros
Avoiding the people in these positions.
Cons
Seem like everybody in this Dept, have the same Attitude and Personality
Nothing likw working five days a week
Custodian / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 17, 2019
It was a good place to work. Management wasn't good.it was a terrible place to get advancement. My manager did not appreciate me because she thought I was trying to get her job
Pros
Off when kids are off
Cons
Not enough money
Poor Culture and Educational Practices
Educator (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 15, 2019
HCS has no interest in the experience and education of it's teachers. If you have ideas and expertise in areas of education that you would like to share, they do not want to hear it. There is little to no collaboration among schools or teachers. HCS judges your ability in the classroom from a MAP test, that does not even coincide with the South Carolina State Standards
Not worth it
Fifth Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJanuary 12, 2019
Teaching public education in South Carolina is very much not worth it. Pay is lousy and decisions are completely unilateral. The state government couldn't care less.
Working with special needs
Special education paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJanuary 3, 2019
Workplace culture is very relaxed and enjoyable. The many diverse individuals I work with are amazing.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the students
benefits
Cons
wages are deplorable
Inspiring
Certified Exceptional Children Teacher (Current Employee) –  Loris, SCDecember 21, 2018
Working at Horry County School District has inspired me to further my education in the field of Special Education. Most of the parents, students, faculty, and staff are very loving and bring a family-oriented atmosphere.
Substitute teacher schools that were good and not so good
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 9, 2018
The schools were enjoyable. Aynor high school is beyond the best to sub at it is very clear as far as communication, Loris does not have clear communication you could sub during your planning on any given day.
Ref. Nov, 21 Transportation
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCDecember 2, 2018
Transportation is corrupt and needs a COMPLETE overhaul!
Internal hiring, meaning person already hired.
Qualifications Cult-like, only hiring a person who fit into an existing mold. Qualified or NOT!
A Replica, basically used to indicate a product which is not real but is used for some specific reasons, False perception of reality.
Tyrant Leadership, people who challenge her thinking are treated as mutinous. No more overtime, cult-like crew target.
Autocratic leader, leads to high turnovers and absenteeism.
Action is usually taken against the [bully's] target, or ANYBODY that Rebuke the Cult-like leadership and her followers.
Pros
The Children
Cons
No Check and Balances
Secure Job
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 16, 2018
It is a secure position and you are able to advance or transfer within the school system. It just does not pay enough to support a single parent family.
This is one of the worst places to work
Bus driver full time (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 14, 2018
It is not about what you know or how well you can do your job, it is about who you know. They are undercover and shady. They show favortism. A lot of wrongful doing is sweep under the rug. The higher positions are ripping of the state and county. I could go on for days about this company. I just would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Being with my children and just having a job.
Cons
Unfair, no advancement oppurtunities
Hcsd
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCNovember 13, 2018
Horry county school district school nursing is a lively nursing positon that keeps you on your toes assisting with the care of students from kindergarten through 12 g
Fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCOctober 4, 2018
I enjoy working with the students and staff. This is a great job opportunity. There is room to grow if you could ever get on full time. Other than that I love my experience.
Pros
Being able to work
Cons
Not enough pay
Work enviorment
South Carolina (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 3, 2018
My overall summary at my recent job came in quite well. My co-workers were extremely welcoming when I first started and they worked really hard. I learned a lot about different cultures and various characters within the students and teachers. I enjoyed the children most of all because they always put a smile on my face and i would be so excited to work with them the next day because there is always something new.
Pros
Working guiding and playing with the children
Cons
Not enough hours