Horry County Schools
71Above average

Horry County Schools Employee Reviews

United States193 reviews
I enjoy working at HCS! They are a wonderful district to work for that puts students' needs first. I have learned and continue to learn valuable skills that encourage leadership qualities, productivity, and learning.
Loved working with the kids. A lot is required on your own time and planning periods are often taken away and used as meeting times. Co-workers are great!
You will not be appreciated! You will not be allowed to bring any of your creativity to the table, you must teach from programs. I learned how to keep my mouth shut from all the backstabbers!
Pros
Cons
Terrible people to work for!
Great company to work for but just be prepared to go above and beyond for nothing in return. They do not pay what workers are worth. That is the only issue I have with this company.
Working for horrycountyschools school as a professional is a good job if you are looking to stay in the same position forever. You works hard but, it's a all who you know to get certain positions.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
During my time with HCSD, I learned to place more value on building relationships with my students vs the relationships with several of the adults working in the building.
I am a substitute teacher and you are their for the kids. It is rewarding and fulfilling and you learn a lot from the students that you interact with. I very fun and rewarding job.
It felt great to use a place with my skills. This was the second time that I interviewed for this position, and it felt really good to get the job afterwards.
Solid place to work. Public education anywhere is a difficult proposition for its employees. Many dedicated professionals and a good place to work in comparison to other school systems.
Driving buses with bugs, roaches all over and nothing is done but to blame the kids. Supervisor is self absorbed as to never take any blame but that he is the perfect supervisor yet he contradicts himself all the time. New drivers dont get informed of all the requirements that will be put on them. No flexibility in management on hours, and very vindictive if you question them. No help with students on the buses when driving that many kids, other time get told that the kids are going to cuss up a storm and we cant do anything about it. It's looked down on if you take off and working in such stressful and with a bunch of runny nose children you are going to get sick. Underpaid for the liability you have to bear and with disrespectful kids all the time it makes for a long tiring day. Never would recommend driving for Horry County, such a bad experience with a bunch of unethical unprofessional people.
HCS asks a lot out of their teachers. There is so much support, but much of the learning curve has to be self-motivated. Unfortunately, administration is intense, though that varies from school to school.
As a bus driver:
Buses always breaking down, I drove five different spare buses my first three months there. My bus has no heat half the time and breaks down, over heats often.

Buses are overcrowded-65-75 kids on my route.

Not enough buses or bus drivers for all the kids riding the buses.

All buses need intercom system because my voice doesnt get to the back of the bus to the kids. so I have to stop the bus to talk to the kids at the back which I dont have time to do because my routes are long and I barely have enough time to get the kids home before picking up the next load as it is.

No heater means no defrost, not exactly safe driving conditions on days with moisture in the air.
The hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed.
We tend to have call outs often, this makes our job more difficult.

Its great when we work together as a team and pitch in to complete the coworkers area that called out.

The best part of this job is of course your summers are off and you have an option of working during summer for extra money.

Management will work with you on issues, another plus.
No sub nurses available, so difficult to have a day off even if you’re sick! The pay is horrible, considering you’re the only medically trained person in the school, responsible for staff and students. Underpaid, under appreciated and often made to feel guilty if you need a day off. Not very accommodating to the needs of the nursing staff.
I believe that working for Horry County as a Substitute Teacher was an excellent job to have part-time, but not as a full time position. It’s supplemental work for adequate pay.
Good administrative. Active families. Conservative family values. Large classes but great students. Pay is good for the area. District World Language support is excellent
Found Conway schools stressful; Forestbrook Middle, not so much. Enjoyed my co-workers and management. Friendly work setting. Never a boring moment.
Overall its a great place to work. Friendly staff and caring folks. I love being able to spend days on my daughter on her days off, and being home with her during the summer.
The school as well as the district are like one big extended family. Whenever I had something come up and needed help all I had to do is ask for help and numerous people stepped up. It can be a bit chaotic with the large amount of students, but when you are able to see that you are making a difference in the kids lives and giving them attention and concern that they may not have at home it makes you realize why we do what we do.
Sometimes the best candidate does not always get the job with jobs above a teacher's grade. Many times, it is who you know.

They care about student success.

Elementary schools expect teachers to be there at 7 a.m.
Personally this has been a very good experience for me. I am retired and it keeps my mind and body healthy. However, that may not be the situation for others.
Pros
Flexible hours and days to work.
Cons
Not desirable for persons needing to take care of themselves or a family.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horry County Schools. Our community is ready to answer.