Hospice Care of South Carolina Employee Reviews

RUN! Was good until it was bought out!!!
Community Relations Liaison (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 3, 2019
Started as a great job with an amazing company whom we provided superb hospices services to patients! Our business wasn't so numbers driven... the focus was helping patients and families... after the original owners sold majority of the company in 11/2018, everything went down hill. Work environment was very uncomfortable, morale was in the pits... very negative hostile working conditions. Quality of services drastically decreased. Corporate cleaned house getting rid of a high number of staff in many roles throughout the state. Many (lots)of staff left as well on their own free will to escape the new toxic vibe in this company. Complete 180 change in the culture and quality of this company!!
Pros
Co-workers, patients and families, bonuses
Cons
Management, pay, work/life balance, shady business practices
Great communication, teamwork, value of employees.
HOSPICE RN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 1, 2019
LOVED working here! Great people. Truly value their employees. Flexibility. Company really stresses work life balance. Fabulous management. Manager trusts staff. Does not micromanage. Lots of autonomy.
Cons
lots of pediatric patients. Very challenging at times.
Truly horrible place to work!
Hospice Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 10, 2018
They have a saying of a "Culture of Uniquely Better" more like a culture of distrust. Corporate and senior leadership have a complete disconnect from the local offices and do not place value on the hardworking nurses, hospice aides, social workers and chaplains that actually care for the patients and their families. They work their 8-4 and leave without offering support or caring about staffing for patient care. Regional Directors are even worse, they are usually at home or out running personal errands instead of actually assisting their staff, they have zero accountability from corporate. The disconnect is so rampant that Regional Directors terrorize the direct reports and when employees try to follow the chain of command and "Open Door" policy to address the issue they are blown off with no support. Frequently Regional Directors pass off their assigned work to lower management. If you are out on call, forget them helping you. If you don't support their agenda or call them out for the lack of support, you will be targeted and lose your job. If you don't do their assigned work, you will be targeted and lose your job.

If you are in a lower management position such as the Patient Care Coordinator, you will be burnt out from the lack of support from senior management and extensive workload. The company is very understaffed because of high turnover and you may be expected to see a large caseload, do aide visits, nursing visits and complete your lower management duties. Everything is a number, patients are admitted that are not appropriate and kept on service too long. If you
  more... don't have staffing, too bad, it will be you doing the work. End of the month is an all out assault on lower management to complete billing, often encompassing 16 hour days with no support and all the responsibility.  less
Pros
Great staff in the local offices!
Cons
Culture of distrust and unethical behaviors
Poor Management, inappropriate admissions, no team spirit
RN Hospice (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 25, 2018
Very poor work environment with Nurses carrying too large a load, lack of training for inexperienced management. The "numbers" ( increasing census) takes priority over quality care, work/ home life balance, exhausted clinical staff. Nurses working more hours than is safe, and placed on weekend call when already in overtime. Lack of communication causes confusion. No consistency from branch to branch.
Pros
set own schedule at times
Cons
Poor leadership, negative attitude of county management, unfair practices
Best Hospice Company
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 2, 2018
Truly an awesome company! I could not imagine working anywhere else! They value the opinions of employees and recognize employees for submitting there ideas. They motivate staff through having twice a year forums where they bring all staff together and providing each staff member with the opportunity to earn a bonus each quarter. They have a family fun day planned to allow staff to mingle with family in a non work environment.
Pros
Productive place to work and has potential for self enrichment
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 24, 2018
The staff and leadership were excellent and of outstanding character. I always felt supported and appreciated by the management and especially my lead chaplain as well as the director of social work and chaplains. In terms of the work, I loved working with the patients and their families. When serving patients. Hospice care was a context where I truly felt beneficial and significant to others. The pay as well as the benefits for part time employees were not what I needed at the time, however. I would, though, recommend this company to anyone seeking a good company of which to be a part.
Pros
Education, ministry opportunities, staff support, flexibility of hours, self management
Cons
pay, benefits
Compassionate care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bennettsville, SCApril 15, 2018
The healthcare team for these patients truly care. At times it can be an extremely stressful job. However, when you realize at the end of the day that you have made a difference in the lives of these patients and family members then it is all worth it.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
work/home life balance
Training and support
Community Relations Liaison (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJanuary 14, 2018
Good company to work for. Training is great at the this company. Hospice care of South Carolina make sure you are prepared to work with those you incounter. The training as apart of the company as a whole will benefit from the knowledge they received during that process.
did not like this company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCNovember 20, 2017
I did not agree with the CEO using donations or company money for private purchases. I was hired & told I would be doing hospice billing & they only let me open the mail & take the deposit to the bank, mostly I was a receptionist & my skills were not being utilized
Pros
Met nice coworkder
Cons
Shady business practices
Great Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edgefield, SCNovember 4, 2017
This is a great place to work. It is a small company with a family like atmosphere. The employees are compassionate and dedicated to their patients and to each other.
nice place to work
Weekend on call RN (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 12, 2017
long hours and distances to travel at all hourse of the night was the hardest part of the job, the entire team was great to work with. My regional director was fair and knowledgeable.
Enjoyable
RN (Former Employee) –  SCSeptember 10, 2017
This company was very enjoyable to work for. The only problem was with the patient census dropping they could not guarantee work hours. The care to the patients was excellent and very caring.
Enjoyable work on place
Crisis Care Travel Nurse (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 28, 2017
Traveling but home nightly. Enjoyed meeting new people but was an emotional job. Fast paced and must be a multi tasker and willing to travel locally as well as 2/3 of south carolina
Pros
Mileage pay
Cons
Cut staff, emotional, hard families at times
look to get rid of you
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clinton, SCJune 28, 2017
Stay away looking to fire you follow you around cat do your jobb always late charting no time to eat always making new rules not a good place to work be careful
Cons
work hard followed around and let go without any reason
Great place to exercise my ministry to the sick and dying.
PRN (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 20, 2017
I was very impressed with corporate management. They have an excellent long range plan of growth and development. The people I worked with were some of the finest professionals I have ever been associated with.
Pros
I set my own schedule, within reason
Great Organization
Community Relations Liaison (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 30, 2017
Started as a Hospice Chaplain and transitioned to CRL after about a year. I was impressed with the advancement/ continuing education opportunities. HCSC values creativity and input from every level. Patient care was always excellent. I worked with great care teams.
Pros
Strong Mission
Cons
Compensation could have been better, Sometimes there were unrealistic expectations when it came to census/ coverage area.
Love this company and my role in it!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 24, 2017
As an employee of this organization for over ten years, I can attest to the care and compassion that they show not only the patients they serve, but also the employees that make this company what it is. This position has been the most fulfilling and rewarding of my career. I would highly recommend this to anyone as a great place to work.
Pros
Flexibility, Rewarding Work, Feels like you are making a difference
Hospice RN
RN (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 21, 2017
Nurse for Hospice Care of South Carolina for 6 years. Still enjoy the job but there are many changes happening. Huge need for benefit inprovement. Some flexability but not as much as before. Pressure for admissions is the key right now, however, this is the same with all medical companys nowadays. Would not recommend but would not discourage applicants.
Pros
flex schedule somewhat
Cons
Lots of an call. Always required to have phone with you.
Paranoid place
RN (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 9, 2017
Culture of distrust. Seems as if employees are directed by management to report on others. Everyone thinks they are a nurse & give pts medical advice, contradict RN,causes a mess. Sadly, too many inappropriate pts are admitted to keep census falsely high. They need a good look by DHEC & CMS. Young nurses don't know what they are doing & management does not tell them pts are inappropriate & will probably throw the RNs under the bus when they charges & fines are imposed. Huge turnover with RNs. Really unless yr desperate don't work here.
Pros
Self scedule
Cons
Culture of distrust, poor salary
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCNovember 10, 2016
I enjoy my job. The company is always trying to improve. Christian values. Very flexible schedule. Up to date technology. Provides education opportunities for employees
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
On- call

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospice Care of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Hospice Care of South Carolina Reviews by Location