Hospital Sisters Health System
66Average

Hospital Sisters Health System Employee Reviews

United States199 reviews
Work Life
I love working at HSHS Holy Family Hospital in Greenville, IL! My colleagues are some of the best in their respective fields, and all of them are very friendly and welcoming!
Firefighter
Always fighting fires due to the 24/7 hospital environment, including during the day. And then management wonders why your tasks, projects aren't getting done. Being on call is horrible since you're guaranteed to get a lot of calls, especially late night, early morning. They want you for cheap, yet work you like a dog.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Crazy work environment, pay and benefits aren't great, management and their egos
Great Culture
Great Culture you can feel the difference when you walk in the doors wonderful colleagues. I enjoyed my time there was recently part of a reorganization.
Human Resources
It started out great had great bosses and management was supportive. Then we got all new managers and all the older people with the company were getting layed off and fired. They say they care about the employees but they don’t. You get one bad manager and your career is gone.
I enjoyed working for hshs and being able to meet new people daily and make patient's smile and clean there rooms so they feel better. Enjoyed learning how to use standard precautions in different situations.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Colleagues are exceptional, while other things lack greatly
I have been a colleague for a few years. We work hard and are paid relatively low compared to surrounding area hospitals. They run "bare bone crews" until they are completely and utterly exhausted and burned out. The yearly "review" process doesnt stand out. If you started before the full year mark when they hold their reviews, I wouldnt count on a raise. In my department I was reviewed by at least two people who seldomly got an opportunity to even see me perform the duties of my work. Management is delegated both hospitals (st Joe's and sacred heart in eau claire) they were rarely seen up until this year when they come at least twice a week. Overall experience has been dismal.
Poor Management
Poor management, pick and choose there favorites and write up the rest for any little thing they can and not tell the employee over work under paid and not appreciated for how much we do
This Place is a He**hole
A typical day at work, unless you're applying for a medical position, you will never ever receive the same treatment. The management is terrible, the turnover rate is that of a pancake on high heat and the amount of the higher paid ( over $30k ) people disrespecting you is out of this world. There is no way that I would suggest working here unless you're going into patient care. Its so disgusting the amount of times I have tried to reach my own management and they would all just say that they will take care of it and never do. There has been times were I have to do patient care staffs job because they are too lazy or "too" busy ( usually meaning sitting down and charting ) to assist with these situations. This place is only brought down even more by the fact that the wages are so different even though you all do the same job and have the same experience. You could be paid 2-3 dollars less than the new guy that just came in. Raises are only once a year and even if you approach your management about requesting a raise they'll scoff in your face and tell you its once a year only ( in November ). There is very little room to grow and you basically have to be plucked from another department to advance anywhere in the hospital. There are some good incentives like cheap insurance, free food some days, and if you're religious you get to participate in event even if you're on the clock.
too much turn over.
management changes directions too any times. Never sticking to a plan when implemented. More worried about where to save money. TOO lean. Always trying to get leaner.
Good
The companies morals and values are very good. The company focuses on making sure that every employee knows the story of the business before being trained in their department.
Good place to gain experience
Good place to gain experience. Poor work/life balance. You are able to move quickly into new positions as you gain experience, It is a good place to start as a new nurse.
Senior leadership and Governance excellence
Each member of SLT and Governance were engaged in the system of internal controls and expected the organization to be responsible. HSHS constantly challenges their employees to be creative, innovative, and offers support in doing so.
High priority in quality care. Comparable and competitive benefits.
Former leader within this organization. Loved working here. Left due to change in executive leadership which did not embrace providing tools for financial success.
This organization has a strong mission, vision and values and the general employee population is engaged and creates a culture of accountability, safety and competence.
Very clicky, a lot of butt 😘 to get ahead. New employees are treated like outsider instead of part of the team. If one doesn't like you, no one likes you, the facilitators need more training in employee relations. my personal experience was did not receive much encouragement from management.
there were cliques inside the staff
It was okay to work there some nights better than others. Just depending on who you worked with. It could be very cliquey one night. To very nice the next. It can make it hard to work through then
Be aware of what your getting into
I've never done housekeeping in my life and this was my first time so it is not the best job. During a day you typically do daily cleans(mop grab trash wipe down room clean bathroom dust ect.) in about 32 rooms a day (depending where they put you could be more or less). they want you to clean those rooms at least 2 times a day on top of doing discharges (about 6 rooms or more a day takes 40 mins to clean) and your cores (public bathrooms waiting room nurses stations offices staff break rooms ect) all by your self. because they are always short staffed because either the hiring process takes to long or people tend to quit after 3 months. and with no experience your start pay is going to be around 9.00-9.95 hourly which is not all that great seeing as tho your cleaning diarrhea and bodily liquids and dealing with isolation rooms (takes about a hour and 30 mins to clean) with peoples dead skin every where. that's why I am saying you need to be prepared for anything and to see anything (mens woohoos all the time). You do tend to have a set schedule. pay is every 2 weeks if your full time. you do get medical benefits pto and what not. This job does take a lot of physical strength your walking all day and your pushing a cart around the hospital. you pick up heavy bags may be hard on your back not for the weak.
Pros
set schedule, benifets, Pto, Nice people, Good Company
Cons
Short staffed, Pay is low, Getting into dirty situations
Very supportive of Leadership
Directos and upper management very supportive and open to help with decision making when necessary. Have the support of not only the local hospital but the Medical Group as well.
Love my work
At HSHS I feel I have purpose, support from management and opportunities for advancement. I work with a great team that can laugh together and enjoy the hours we work together.
Workplace culture is ....
Workplace culture in certain departments is less than desirable. Some managers lack a clear vision as to how the nursing role fits into over all care and this can be challenging. Overall work experience B. Overall workplace culture D-.
St Johns Hospital
Amazing staff and management, very flexible scheduling offer 3 12 hour shifts per week, or the traditional 8 hr day 5 days a week. Depends what area your in, always offering continuing education in a fast paced and always changing environment and career field, always updating equipment to ensure the best quality.
best.
Big System
HSHS is part of a system - it looks out for what is best for all the hospitals, not necessarily each individual hospital, or individual employees. Some of the people were great to work for while others were not.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospital Sisters Health System. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight