Hospital of Central Connecticut Employee Reviews

I wouldn’t recommend working here.
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 18, 2018
I was fired the morning of my shift. I was sick and had flu like symptoms, I was told I could not come to work for at least 24-48 hours. That was counted against me. Then, I came to work sick because if i missed any more days, i would have 3 call outs and would be let go.. the nurse ended up sending me home because i kept having to run out of the paitents room to throw up.. they counted that as a call out and fired me. The techs were hard to get along with. If you havent been there and you dont know anyone, good luck because they think they are better than the new people. I wouldnt work here..
great surgeons and PA's
Staff Nurse and occasional Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CT 06052December 28, 2017
bully culture was not discouraged. The bully is place in charge.
Blatant disregard for fairness in work assignment
the harder one works, the more work one is given.
the hardest part of the work is running around all day only to see those that were sitting around when you started are still sitting around when you are done for the day!!
I love working with our PA and surgeons
Pros
respect from those who count
Cons
bullying
stressful, punitive, unsupportive management plays favorites
Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 10, 2017
There were multiple management changes that were not implemented with employee satisfaction in mind. Emphasis on patient satisfaction became punitive, with no support for staff, even in light of circumstances beyond their control.
Quality improvement initiatives were introduced as "this is what you do wrong," not "here's how we can be better."
These were all management driven and ended up pitting staff against staff. "Good" staff members were rewarded and "bad" staff were picked on.
Overall, very difficult to work with the management, which seemed to be getting worse with HHC coming in from all directions.
Clean hospital with strong community commitment and opportunity to learn and excel in your practice, however.
Pros
clean, strong community commitment, excellent clinical practices
Cons
doctors dominate, punitive managerial style
Close knit group of competent Cath lab staff
Nurse Manager Cath Lab (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTOctober 13, 2017
As a Manager, I was able to develop a competitive Cath lab in a medium size hospital with no surgical backup but turn around times and STEMI times that were better than our neighbor hospitals with more than 800 beds. The hardest part of my job was being away from home and on call for emergencies. The most enjoyable part of my job was development of staff and expanding cardiac services that was productive to the patients and the physicians.
Pros
Salary and close to home
Cons
On call time, long hours in the lab
Productive, fast pace and work friendly environment
Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 20, 2017
Management are confident in my work abilities, I do not feel over whelmed or micro-managed. Every day is a new learning experience. You must be flexible and willing to learn for continued growth.
Pros
work environment
Cons
lunch break 30mins
Very productive company
Carlton (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTAugust 11, 2017
I worked at Carolton in Fairfield Connecticut, 1995,a very well managed company to be with, a private nursing home, I could of be still part of their team, but I was looking for a different state cause of the cold weather and I picked Jacksonville, Florida in 2000,which I had been since,I stayed in my nursing fields, but now I'm hoping to further my career as a big hospital worker doing PCT, please help me move forward by doing what I love to do,caring for patients!
I liked it
Phlebotomy Intern (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 16, 2017
The people in the clinic are good and know what they are doing.I don't have much to say since I was an intern. Clean place, reasonably priced. That's it.
Great place
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 23, 2017
HOCC is a great place with an amazing staff, but unfortunately Hartford Health care is doing to much and my job is no longer stable. Quest is coming to take over and Hartford health care did not put in the contract to take us as trusted employees, So most likely we are getting let go.
Great Job
Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 27, 2017
Great place to work. My co-workers and I work as a team. The days that are busy or what some may call stressful we balance each other out. Our manager is great with working to our schedules.
It used to be a great work environment.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 10, 2017
Lean initiatives are not thoughtfully implemented. They lean out employees to leave those that are left with an unrealistic amount of job duties. The administration is disconnected from the employees. Employees are overworked.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
H3w, Pto, Punitive work environment
Love my jobs I will be very sad when I leave. I need to move closer to my Mom she need me.
Nursing Tech (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTFebruary 7, 2017
Love working at the Hospital of Central Connecticut we have great team in the Behavior Inpatient Unit. We work very close with the nurses, helping each other and making sure everyone is in safe an clean environment. Management meet with staff every month give us the opportunities to give new ideas for present problems and update us of any changes of the unit. The hardest part making understand to the family they can bring certain items for the patients for example cigarettes, drugs. When I make coffee for my nurses that work so hard and they so thankful. Seeing enjoying the coffee is best part of my day.
Pros
Pay is good. A lot of training.Good benefit package.
Good work environment. Team, very competitive
Medical Charge Entry Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 4, 2017
Would not work in this particular department again. Staff wasn't to helpful and training was minimal. Management was overbearing, mentally was my way or no way.
Good
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 14, 2016
Good company values and goals but culture does not meet values. They take away your PTO if you don't use it. The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for the patients.
Lovely place to work
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 12, 2016
I enjoyed working as a patient aide at THOCC. We built close bonds with our colleagues and I learned a lot about the healthcare field. I loved caring for patients and seeing them through the healing process. My favorite part was watching patients leave healthy and happy.
Tons to learn, no growth
Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTOctober 25, 2016
Working on the Stroke of excellence unit, I loved it, working along side some of the best nurse, nurse techs and doctors allows you to learn multiple things as you go from one patient to the next. Heavy patient load was normal and with great coworker it makes the though and at times difficult cases seem easy with a great care team. I loved being apart of it.
Fast paced productive work place
Admitting Representative (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 8, 2016
excellent work environment, professional and caring co workers great place to learn how to be efficient and productive
Pros
helping others
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
Application analyst for several medical systems
Radiology System Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 3, 2016
Daily responsibility to troubleshoot and resolve issues of several medical information systems. Coordination with vendors and hospital departments for upgrading systems.
Great potential for growth
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 19, 2016
Good work ethic. Professional co-workers, team management, potential to grow.

Meet with department head, review projects assigned, follow up with physicians, clinicians, co-workers to collaborate information needed to complete each project. Hardest part of the job is to find the right meet with professional to complete each project. Learned a lot.
Great place to have a baby...working not so much
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Labor and deliveryJune 2, 2016
The Labor and delivery nurses are awesome to the patients, but to work there is another story. Lazy, ancient relics who won't move forward with the times. Awesome manager who is very understanding, but she's not the one you have to work with unfortunately.
Pros
Reasonably priced cafeteria food
Cons
Slow elevator
Enjoyed the job
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 17, 2016
The job was very rewarding and given the opportunity would have liked to remain with this company. coworkers were supportive and willing to assist in performance of the daily tasks. Management was very supportive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hospital of Central Connecticut. Our community is ready to answer.

Hospital of Central Connecticut Reviews by Location