Hot Topic, Inc.
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Hot Topic, Inc.:

Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA12 reviews
Great products, bad management
When I was there, I had new managers and coworkers almost every month. Upper management was unbearable and their demands were unrealistic, especially during holidays.
Good for Teenagers
Great coworkers and fun place to work. But as an adult, $7.20 an hour was not going to cut it. pay is biweekly and you'll get lucky if you get more than 1 shift a week.
it was ok
great for a while, i connected to customers and employees, just one employee got to me, it wasnt great after that, they didnt seem to like me and made it kind of hard. but everyone else i connected with very well
Not for me
I already knew that a job, is a job. Didn’t really expect it to be chill. You just really need to love sales. Hot topic is strict about sales, my manger was nice at times. But she got really angry if someone said “no” to me for loyalty. So everyday I would go to work stressed about sales , and afraid of getting in trouble. I would be quizzed on about sales requirements Every shift . Which I also did not mind, just thought it was extra. There was one situation where she got really angry that someone said no to me for loyalty, so she told me to go fold clothes instead, and that I was not allowed on the register. I ended up folding clothes my whole shift. Which I did not mind. But I could feel her anger, she did not speak to me that whole shift because of the situation. She would always be on my case about greeting, when I always did. But she wanted more communication with customers. And every time I go in there now, or when my friends go. They tell me THEY barely greet anyone. I prefer fair oax hot topic for management. Springfield isn’t the greatest. The only good thing we’re my co workers who were also managers, but the “main manager “ was the one I had issues with. Which is understandable, main managers are suppose to be “mean” at times I guess. I really did my best working there but sales is not for me. It is not like I was a bad worker, I never complained, I got Employee of the month, I was told by my other managers I was good with sales. It just was not something I could continue doing. If you are a really good people person, and are good with sales. Go for it. Every experience - more...
everyday is different.
being in charge of selling to the customer and tasking while you can. the hardest part is not having enough time to get things done. The enjoyable part is seeing the new product that comes in shipment.
Pros
employee discount, benefits for management.
Cons
little to no communication, being accountable for other people
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Productive and kind people
Great job just the most recent manager i had wasn't in my opinion cut out for the job. The job is hard and the pay isn't great but a job is a job. The hours are flexible but theres no paid vacation or commission on sales
Pros
Kind people and discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Fast pace with little advancement
Very enjoyable, but not very lucrative. There are great people to interact with, both customer and coworker. There are some minor hiccups with management, but overall a fun job.
It didn't feel like work
Working here was paradise. Everyone was respected for their culture, religion, race,and any other attribute you can think of. It was friendly and fun and it was fun helping people with the same views and likes that you have.You got to connect with people instead of just helping them.
Best Place in the World.
This was my favourite job ever. Its too bad the store closed down at the local mall or I would've still been working here till this day. Its was some room for advancement, but I became the employee of the month my first month there and Key Holder my second month. I really adored this job and the customers I used to meet and help with their purchases.
Pros
Great music, laid back atmosphere, great customers
Cons
Short work hours, minimal pay
Not for me.
I expected it to be a store where people who were interested in alternative music would work, but I guess that was the old guard of Hot Topic, because unless you are into Anime then there is no point in working here.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Poor management, stuck in one tiny workplace for a long time, extensive time standing.
average retail job
it is a fun company to work with, average pay rate with no room for increase (raise on average is about 10 cents). very demanding work schedule between floor resets and ordering and shipments and goal numbers. managing can be quite tricky, sales associates tend to have a no care attitude when it comes to their job (they just like the sweet street cred! that they get from working here) for a fun job with little to no expectation in making it big then apply here
Pros
music
Cons
hours are horrible with low pay
Get paid to be yourself and talk about music
This was probably my favorite job. A typical day at Hot Topic would be getting a quick run down of the sales for that day, being assigned your location in the store and selling for the rest of your shift. I learned a lot while working here. YOu definitely can't judge someone solely on how they look. You have to talk to customers to get a feel for what they need or what they want. My managers were awesome. They were always really helpful if I had trouble meeting my sales goals or if I had issues with my schedule. Co-workers come and go pretty quickly, but that's only because they don't take the job seriously. The hardest part is keeping up with LP, because the store can get busy pretty quickly and you have to keep an eye out for potential shoplifters. The best part of the job was being able to dress how I normally do, listen to music I actually like, and work with people who's company I enjoyed.
Pros
super awesome employee discount
Cons
low pay, shoplifters