Hot Topic, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,586 reviews matching the search See all 1,641 reviews
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 20, 2019
I loved my job at Hot Topic. Unfortunately, sales were low so the schedule cut time. The most enjoyable part of the job was listening to music, having cool coworkers, and being able to show off my tattoos.
awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 19, 2019
can i give less than one star??? horrible pay almost no hours management is rude and discriminates. walking into HOT TOPIC of all places you would think itd be fun or at least not make you want to run away and never even shop there again. i had to quit because of how bad it was...i dont quit unless i HAVE to
Cons
short breaks, rude, low pay, no hours
Fast-paced but fun work environment
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 18, 2019
It's a super fun work environment and you get to meet and work with a lot of really cool people, and you're encouraged to express your individuality. Our store was very high-volume, so it was very fast-paced but we were generally short-staffed, making it pretty hectic and stressful during busy times. Hours are competitive and based on sales, but if you do well you have a lot of growth opportunity. Management was generally very understanding of personal issues and willing to work around your other work schedule if you're working two jobs. I loved the job but unfortunately had to leave due to school and personal reasons, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun first job!
It was fun working
KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLFebruary 18, 2019
During my shifts working at Hot Topic, Inc I was able to learn different tasks as a key holder. I loved working there but the hardest part was to try up selling on slow days. Management overall was good. Nice staff.
Pros
we had 40% disc. and my managers wore flexible and understanding
Cons
Low Hourly Pay Rate, No health insurance and no paid vacation and sick days
Fandom heaven
KEY HOLDER/ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJFebruary 18, 2019
I LOVED THIS JOB! This place was like my second home! Its an extremely easy job especially if you're into Nerdy/Geeky/Fandom/Pop Culture. Promotions are updated at least twice a month and even if you lose track, you can check on the daily KPI reports to see what are the promotional merchandise. Learn your store values because you will be reviewed at random. Its an incredible place to work but just not for long term unless you're a Store Manager.
Pros
Employee Discounts and Community
Cons
Communication and Negative Reinforcement
Difficult work life balance
Key Holder Manager (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 13, 2019
Though Hot Topic offers a relaxed work environment, it's often difficult to balance one's work life with their personal life. Depending on the day, you may work as early as 4am or as late as 2am. With odd hours and an inconsistent schedule, this isn't the position for those who cannot keep track of a schedule.
Loved working at Hot Topic
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IN 47403February 13, 2019
A typical day at work was geeking out with your fellow customers and learning something new everyday. I learned so much from my team and loved every single minute of being there. The hardest part of the job was not being able to please some customers because of a bad experience that they had at another location and not being happy with their purchase that they made. The most enjoyable part was geting to be around the things that I loved and learning new things about movies, music, ANYTHING pop-culture related. I definitely reccomend <3
fun work area
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 13, 2019
fun environment to work in and positive experience. I enjoy working with everyone that I do as everyone is always very nice and understanding. I would recommend working here
Great work environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 12, 2019
The environment was really engaging and time went by quickly when there were customers. On the other hand it felt like forever when we were slow. Overall, I really enjoyed working there and it helped me a lot with my customer service skills.
Fun working environment needed more salary
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 11, 2019
I had a great team when I worked for Hot Topic with plenty of room for advancing but the salaries at store level were very poor at the time I worked for the company. I did have health, vision and dental and a 401k. Employee discount was very generous at the time.
fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAFebruary 9, 2019
Hot Topic is such a fun place to work if you're into the music and pop culture scene. Fast paced retail locations, but the company is catered to teens and adolescents. Everyone at my location was helpful, fun, friendly and never had a bad thing to say t or about anyone.
Pros
discounts, no uniform
Cons
no benefits, low hours
Good for a trendy teen
Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 7, 2019
Worked here years ago. Management based people on favortism. Generally you have to walk around the store and make sure nobody steals anything. Sometimes you work the register. Worked maybe 2 days a week, sometimes 1.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Bad management. rude customers.
Decent place to work.
Warehouse Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  La Vergne, TNFebruary 7, 2019
It is decent place to work. However my schedule is part time and they only allow that on the weekends. They do not allow it during the week. The new full time schedules are full so it's time for me to look for something new.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Part time is weekends only
Great Retail Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 7, 2019
This is a fun environment. With a great company. I enjoyed my time here as a Manager. The only draw back are the hours you put in during the Holidays. It is tough to keep a work / home life balance.
Pros
Fast Paced and Fun Enviroment
Cons
Long Hours
engaging fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 6, 2019
Always a good time working and talking with co workers everyone gets along. Not many difficult tasks. Flexible availability. Positive environment to be around.
Fun and inclusive culture
Multi Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 6, 2019
I worked at HT for 15 years. Their work culture is very good. They treat their employees very well. They don’t pay their store staff that we’ll though. There is a bit of turnover because of this.
It’s Alright
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Management was great! The environment is really cool and everyone works together and is super helpful. It can get busy or even claustrophobic as the stores CAN be small or crowded with items. The clean-up is never hard though and someone is always there to help.
Pros
Big discounts
Cons
Short Breaks
Perfect for beginner retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 6, 2019
I really love the job and my coworkers, I can’t stress that enough. I love the atmosphere, culture and meeting the customers. I don’t mind the pay, I do mind the hours. In my experience, if you’re not in a higher position you don’t get enough hours to support yourself or to keep up with the knowledge of what you learn on the job. It’s really chill and the staff is very understanding. The biggest problem is the hours or lack of. Other than that I really love it and wear it with pride.
Pros
Friendly staff, discounts, flexibility
Cons
Low wages, not enough hours
Good job, but overhired
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tannersville, PAFebruary 4, 2019
It was a wonderful place to work; however, they overhired so my hours were horrible. I was only scheduled one day a week if that. Good employee discounts.
Pros
10% discount at food court, lovely manager, 40% off employee discount on top of sales
Cons
Minimal hours
Lease Negotiator (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAFebruary 3, 2019
I love that this company embraces individuality, however, the company runs each department like a skeleton crew. I find that the company hires employees for lower pay to do the work of 3-4 people. The hardest part of the job is trying to find the time to take a proper lunch and a reasonable time. Due to the volume of work for one person, employees are usually working through lunch while eating lunch at their desk and working longer hours.
Pros
Individuality
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Hot Topic, Inc..

Powered by Comparably