Hot Topic, Inc.

3.0Pay & Benefits

Found 584 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,373 reviews

Hot Topic, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Okay Place For A Starter Job

Worked there during Holidays, had a great employee discount. Manger wanted to keep me on after the holiday season but didn’t have the hours, I didn’t like that she strung me along with out being honest and telling me. So after a few weeks on not being on the schedule I had to find another job with more hours.

Pay was terrible, wonderful coworkers

I worked seasonal as an associate. Pay was horrendous for how much we did. No one realizes it, but everyone at Hot Topic works tirelessly. There's a lot that went into that job and I was not paid enough for what I did. Stocking, working, cash register, closing, opening, and consistent covering. It was a lot to only be making minimum wage and I can assure every single worker with this company agrees. I would there again in a heartbeat but would expect far more pay.

Pros

Environment, Mental Health Breaks, Co-Workers

Cons

Pay, Hours

Don't get your hopes up.

Was offered a "Full-Time" position. After completing the interview process, I learned that their definition of full time is 12hr/week at minimum wage without any benefits aside from a company discount. I can barely afford the cost of living right now. The store itself and the customers are the only thing that currently give this job life. The managers and staff gossip constantly behind each others back and spread false information. As someone with years of experience, it is disheartening to be talked down to so consistently. Many of my co-workers and management are anti-vaccination, therefore putting myself, co-workers and my family at risk.

Pros

Casual dress.

Cons

Everything else.

Environment is great but bad pay

It’s a great job but pay isn’t that great and neither are the hours. Holiday season is ahead and there’s still no hours to give and we only work one day a week with a 3-4 hour shift.

Pretty fun work environment

I had a good time working with hottopic, and they really worked with my schdule while I was in school. It could get a little stressful with how small the store was but overall it was a pretty fun place with nice coworkers.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Fun work if the team you get is good, terrible pay.

Overall it's a pretty decent job but your milage will strongly depend on who your co-workers are, and if the manager is any good or not. Very flexible hours and if you're a strong worker generally they will work around your schedule to keep you on board. Biggest downside however is the pay, it is absolutely abysmal especially during holiday season when you will most likely be slammed all the time is when you'll start to feel like you're not being paid well for the work you do. They don't say it in most if their descriptions but Associates will ALWAYS get minimum wage with no negotiation.

Pros

Chill environment. Cool Co-workers. Flexible hours.

Cons

Questionable management. terrible pay. No raises.

Fun job

Extremely laid back and fun. I have worked at 2 different Hot Topic stores in two different cities and both stores were pretty much the same. I enjoyed working here.

Pros

Good employee discount

Cons

Low pay.

Good starter job.

Not enough pay for the 5 years I gave. My store manager was great. Loved working for her. District manager was okay but no real way to move up in the company.

Pros

Great coworkers.

Cons

No healthcare, no full time positions, low wages.

awful

managers at my location were horrible. zero benefits, minimum wage, regional and district managers were like drill sergeants for a job that was targeted to high schoolers working part time. we had a high theft rate and regional management was convinced it was an inside job and treated us like criminals because of it. the customers are all rude teenagers or ruder karens. i was being given 12 hour weeks while the management worked 30+. every time i tell someone i used to work at hot topic, they tell me how badly they wanted to work there in middle school. that’s because only a middle schooler would be dumb enough to work there. do not apply, do not interview, do not waste your time.

Pros

40% off discount

Cons

everything else

decent first job.

decent first job. your experience will vary depending on the management. If you have great management, you will have a great time. It's minimum wage though and your hours will always be less than 15 a week. And that's if you're lucky. Many times, employees got 4-8 hours.

Pros

no dress code, fun coworkers

Cons

no hours

Fun job. Awful pay, awful hours.

I worked here in the summer of 2021. I adored shopping here as a child and I did enjoy working here. The environment was fun and I got along with my coworkers well. The music they played was amazing and I loved the easy dress code and laid back work. Most of the day consisted of talking about anime and music to customers, folding clothing, and organizing merchandise. I would occasionally ring up customers, and getting them to sign up for loyalty was easy. I didn't really feel like I fit in well with my coworkers as they all had worked there for a while, and I was new. The job was super easy and fun, however.. This job did not give me enough hours, I got 8 hours a week maximum. Since I couldn’t work Fridays & Saturdays due to school, they gave me 2 shifts a week at max. I also lived 20 miles away from this job. Since they paid literally 7.25/hr, I was spending more money on gas going to and from work. I got paid $50 max every 2 weeks, and all of it would go to gas. I would work 5-9pm, which was a complete waste of gas. If they paid me more than minimum wage, I would stay. Breaks were guaranteed and the discount was great though.

Pros

Employee discount at store & Box Lunch/Torrid, enough breaks

Cons

Awful pay

Fun place bad pay

Overall the job is fairly easy and you have a lot of fun with coworkers but depending on how good you do you aren't guaranteed hours unless you are a manager. The environment overall is very supportive and the discount is great but....the pay isn't the best for what you do, which I guess folding tees all day shouldn't be a job where youre paid 18 but.. Here sales associates are paid 7.25, that's NOTHING. This company expects you to put all your effort into doing things for them for the same pay. Working here is draining.

Pros

Fun coworkers, great discount

Cons

Horrible pay, company isn't that great to work for

Horrible environment/BAD PAY

I could imagine if you had a good manager this job could be somewhat fun?…but it’s not for you if you have actual bills to pay. The pay here is absolute minimum and they will fire you for not getting people to sign up for loyalty. Personally wouldn’t waste my time here again.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Literally everything

Fun, great place to work…if you don’t have bills

Fun atmosphere, great people. Low pay. If you’re looking for a raise they will tell you no but they might offer a management position that pays 30 cents more than minimum wage.

Pros

Fun environment, flexible hours

Cons

Pay is horrible. Minimum wage to start, getting a raise is impossible unless you move up but they’ll give you only about 30 cents more.

amazing but the pay sucks

amazing job, super inclusive environment but the pay is awful. they pay sales associates minimum wage and then wonder why there is a high turnover rate and why no one wants to do their job. i’m in upper management and i feel like my pay is relatively okay. but definitely do way more physical work in this job than any other place i’ve been in management. the company pulls you in with an inclusive environment where you feel safe. talks about being that cool punk place that is a safe space for every type of person but it’s all performative activism. if they cared about these minority groups then they would give better pay and benefits to their employees, knowing these people are a huge chunk of their staff. they know their niche in the job market is that safe space and they know that people will take whatever pay in exchange for being in an inclusive environment. it’s predatory and they are taking advantage of the youth.

Pros

40% discount, health insurance for full time management, super inclusive environment, amazing people to work with, is a fun job

Cons

pay, a lot of physical labor, not a lot of clear communication from corporate

Decent starter job but isn't good for long term. Don't expect much else.

Not a serious job. Lots of drama cause of the younger ones that want their first job. Low pay. Basically get paid to hangout all day. Not much chance of moving up really.

Pros

Chill place on a good day

Cons

Drama. Low pay.

Fun working place, low pay rate and hours

A typical shift is 4 hours and you'll most likely only get 2-3days of work. ive been here for 3 years almost and havent gotten a raise until everything reopened. You can most definitely be yourself because thats what the brand is about, managers are also great people and co workers too. There shipment everyday sometimes the back room gets too full and you have to shrink everything down while also putting out as much stuff as possible. Its just really low pay for the amount of shipment you have to do in a day. Also being exposed now that mandates have lifted, you are of course allowed to wear your own mask.

Pros

Fun place to work at, friendly co workers

Cons

low pay, low hours

A fun first job for teens

Great job for a teen who is busy with schoolwork and looking to start working. Super flexible with great coworkers but low hours and just not a stable job

Pros

Great work culture

Cons

Short shifts, low hours

Great company with great possibilities of advancement

Love my coworkers and supervisors. The company really cares for its employees. My favorite job in 20 years of working. In 3 years I went from Key Holder to Store Manager, with great benefits. Very positive environment with high energy. My coworkers and supportive upper management make me look forward to work every day. The regular customers become friends.Highly recommend!!

Low pay, fun to work with!

Can’t really pay the bills with $9 (may 2021) but everyone is so nice and fun! It’s really a great place to work for teens or for side money. You also can’t take a lunch break unless you work 6.5 hrs which you most likely won’t as a part timer

Pros

Fun workplace, good coworkers

Cons

Low pay

Great work environment

Expect to work 10-18 hours a week max, they'd rather hire more people than give hours to people who have worked there for a long time. Training was thorough but the manager went exactly against the hot topic policy's to make sales. They had a rather underhanded way of getting customers to spend more money which was really uncomfortable. A manager there would non stop micromanage me which made me even less interested in doing my job and wanting to show up to work. Felt like I couldn't do anything right. Pay was minimum wage. The employee discount was 40% off. Most employees were nice and welcoming, but there is definite drama and gossiping like any other minimum wage job. If you're a teenager and looking for a job this is a good fit, if you're 18+ look somewhere else with real hours and real pay.

Pros

discount

Cons

micromanaging, pay, hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hot Topic, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Hot Topic, Inc..
Powered byComparably

Compare Hot Topic, Inc. with

• Hot Topic, Inc.
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?