HotChalk, Inc. Employee Reviews

It was a good place to work
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 22, 2018
I enjoyed working there and I would recommend it to someone else. Management was not solid but the work and opportunities were there. It was too bad that they didnt offer educational benefits.
Former employee
Executive Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2018
It was once a great place to work. management unfortunately made several poor decisions which hurt the culture. Once the original CEO left things went downhill very quickly.
Pros
Nice people and building
Cons
No care or support from management especially HR
I really loved my job here!
B2B Partnership Specialist & Seminar Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 21, 2018
HotChalk was a great place to work! Ice cream socials, Diamondbacks games and quarterly meet and greets with management. I learned so much and it benefit my career in so many ways. I can't say it enough, the culture is one of a kind, it's one that makes you feel valued and empowered! Rocio inspired her team daily, miss her dearly.
Pros
Culture is the BEST
Cons
Education market is a volatile one
Good job
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 2, 2018
The boss was a great guy. He walked around and shook everyones hand everyday. Much respect for him. Disappointed that they had to let so many of us go. I would recommend someone to work there. Thank you!
Remote workplace with decent pay
Contract Editor (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAMarch 26, 2018
This was a part-time, contract position. I did it remotely and had minimal interaction with others at the company besides the supervisor to whom I reported remotely.
Attentive to their clients, and employees.
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 8, 2018
As an Enrollment Specialist with Hotchalk, I made and received calls to and from teachers of all grade levels who were considering continuing their education by completing a graduate degree. My job was to determine what they were looking to accomplish by earning a Master's or PhD. and help them determine if my programs would be the right fit.
The management team made the job enjoyable. During the time that I was employed, my cold call and follow up skills developed tremendously.
Hotchalk recognized and rewarded team success regularly, with catered meals, company outings, and individual awards.
The challenging aspect of the job was trying to maintain sales during known seasonal times of the year.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Company recognition.
Started great and ended not so well
Business Development Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 26, 2018
i learned on this job that what it seems to be isn't always the case. this organization proved to be unorganized with no real desire for success. i came in working for student resource usa, my boss was amazing. upon her being let go, the experience went straight downhill.
HotChalk
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAFebruary 8, 2018
They have gone through too many layoffs, no job security, or career advancement. Be ready for more layoffs and I’ll be surprised if they are still around in a year.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
No job security
Typical Higher Education Call Center
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 19, 2018
Typical Education Call Center with less pay, benefits, PTO, and LEADS than most others in the industry. Culture of competitive backbiting, lead stealing and me against my colleagues promoted under the illusion of creating a collaborative and cohesive work environment. They want college educated employees yet treat them like children with REWARDS for high performance with pizza and doughnuts. Oh yeah and forget about ANY chance of working from home.
Pros
Somewhat casual dress code
Cons
no real vacation or sick time, being treated like kids
Went downhill after investment from large corporation
Senior Director of Marketing Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2017
It is a very confused company that had great potential but I don't see it lasting much longer. A huge corporation purchased about half of the company and came in and changed a lot of things which led to a huge decline in performance.
Not Great
Head Enrollment Specialist-Trainer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 2, 2017
Unorganized-Poor training for key accounts-Company not in line with clients. The left hand didn't know what the right one was doing- No company culture and executive staff behave's oddly.
Pros
Free food
Cons
STRESS- Closed office
Too many layoffs
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 30, 2017
There were constant layoffs, management was not favorable, old database which made leads difficult, salary was enticing but not worth worry over job security
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor Management
A lot of turnover
Application Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 31, 2017
They hire on a lot of people but only to lay them off in a couple months. They promote people to hire position only for them to fail. With your butt of for them but not reward.
Pros
Free lunches
Poor management but great front line staff.
Executive Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 4, 2017
A typical day was about building relationships with students and providing exceptional customer service. Learning that failure wasn't an option because individuals well being was at stake was the greatest lesson learned there. The hardest part of working at HotChalk was knowing how to improve inefficiencies but limited improvements occurring. C level Management would mention transparency but few knew the direction the company was going in until it effect their live. Changing lives of students and working alongside my peers was the best part of HotChalk.
Pros
Free lunches and compensations was fantastic
Cons
Poor Management and Compliance Department
Start up company
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 7, 2016
Needs improvement in management. The job security is not guaranteed by any means. The partners are not reliable and have unrealistic expectations. Great pay however.
fun workplace with ping pong table
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 18, 2016
management is always changing what they are looking for us to do. Great co-workers calling dead leads. Having to take lunches only at certain times.
Keep looking-
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 24, 2016
Management is very shady and cannot be trusted. They will talk negatively about your peers to you and disclose your peers' information to you. I have never worked for a more disorganized organization. Whenever we have an "all hands" meeting, we figure it is to close our location. We have been told several times over the past 6 months that we were moving locations only to be told we aren't. Management is consistently inconsistent. Management will solicit ideas, solutions and feedback, then will argue with what is given. Peers were offered a promotion and then the same day were told that the manager spoke too soon and that the promotion offer will not be honored. We never get close to hitting any goals and then we we try to explain why or what we need to be successful, we are given excuses. Very unprofessional. The hardest part of the job is not walking out every day.
This place is a JOKE! How are they in business!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 3, 2016
Management is poor, they are only in position because they have worked there for a long time. They were not promoted on merit, experience, and or extensive education but instead on having a relationship with upper management.

The leads are extremely poor, your calling the same people over and over. They were old leads as well, the potential students never heard of the schools, and the tuition was too high. Close to one thousand dollars per credit for some programs.

They received a huge amount of money from an investor, hired more people, gave out raises, moved to an impressive building in Tempe, and then months later layed off close to 60 people. People were crying in the parking lot, some former employees threatened management, and police were called in to secure the interior, and exterior of the building. This place is unstable and unpredictable.

They require their employees to use their own break time to use the restroom. Management has a heart attack if your a few minutes late, which is ridiculous.

Don't waste your time here, there are other great schools that are hiring out there. People have left their high paying salaries here to go elsewhere for less pay but peace of mind, and happiness. This is saying a lot about this poor company that has no leadership. I would be surprised if there still in business in the next couple of years!
Pros
Nice building and desks.
Cons
Everything but the fancy desks!
Poor management
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 2, 2016
The teams are great who you are able to work with, with a huge background in higher education. Daily, you check if you have new leads, track your students and collateral, etc. I was put on other projects to help in terms of communication and marketing. Management however is terrible in the Denver office, it's based on favorites not on actual performance or leadership. Because leadership does not have the skill sets or experience in order to manage experienced people, there's no metrics, no accountability, no clear direction.
Pros
starbucks coffee and decent compensation
Cons
TERRIBLE management
Ok place to work
Student Materials/Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 19, 2016
Nice environment and great people working there. You must do your job correctly at all time. There is no room for errors.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
You never know the full state of the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HotChalk, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9