Hotel Investment Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

A New Culture at Hotel Investment Group
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 13, 2018
I have been working at this company for the past 3 years. I started out working as a houseman cleaning the exterior of the hotels and then I eventually was promoted to breakfast attendant and most recently I was promoted to front desk guest service agent. Having worked at hotel Investment group for 3 years I have been able to see the company go through its ups and downs. However, the main reason I have continued to support and work at this organization is for one reason and that is loyalty. When I first interviewed for the houseman position I was asked what my long term goal was. Quite frankly I had no idea. I responded that I just wanted to support my family and have a stable position. The CEO's response was that if I worked hard then one day I would be able to be more than just a houseman. Overtime I began to get small raises and bonuses which was something that didn't happen in my previous positions as a houseman. Then eventually I was promoted and I was able to take the next step in my career. I didn't even think I would have a career that I could be proud of especially because I never went to college. I know that the company was growing which means as it was trying to find its identity it was ever changing (just as I was in my different roles) But just as the company remained loyal with me and my promotions I remained loyal to them as they grew. I can confidently say that the company has arrived. Most recently they have established more of a team culture which is a welcome change.
Pros
I was able to learn on the job and get promoted
Cons
Without loyalty or hard work you can not succeed
Hotel Investment Group was one of the best learning opportunities of my life
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 3, 2018
Hotel Investment Group was one of the best learning opportunities of my life. The company constantly gave me opportunities to learn and progress. I worked at the company over 10 years and I loved how every year my birthday and work anniversary was celebrated. I am relocating to Denver and thus my time at this company is over. I highly recommend Hotel Investment Group to all!
Pros
Learning Environment, Celebrate All Birthdays
Stay away
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2017
This company is a complete joke. Even Though you are part of their team it's always you against them. They force you to work overtime but don't want to pay an overtime rate. Pay checks are off on a constantly. Then they'll pretty much tell you "we will get you on the next one". The properties are falling apart, which you have to pretty much tell the guest "oh well, no discounts" when they complain. They pay horribly. There is no advancement or raises even though they want you to do 10 jobs in one.
Pros
There isn't any
Cons
Your pay check will never be correct
Fast Days
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2017
The CEO is a visionary. I have learned a lot from him and this company. It really helped my resume. I really enjoy the time I was at HIG. I kind of wished I stayed.
Cons
Days go by fast
Good place to work. Fast Paced
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 13, 2017
I really like working at hotel investment group. It is a company that really does a good job in letting me know what my responsibilities are. When I was hired Human Resources told me the company's expectations when I got to the hotel I was on boarded by Rob. He told me step by step what my role was and how I could grow in the company.
I have been with HIG now 6 months and since I have told my brother and two cousins to join HIG
It's the reason why I really am positing this because when I told my brother to join he told me about this area and I told him not to read the negative things people write but to trust me his sister.Anyways hope this helps.
Pros
Good Structure
Cons
fast paced
Great Workplace culture and management
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2017
The management in this company is very understanding and they care about everyone on their team. The management was very understanding with my school schedule and even wrote me a letter of recommendation for grad school.
Pros
Management is very understanding.
Learning Environtment
Anoymous (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2017
This company is full of growing people, leadership, optimism, and making sure every day everyone in the company is working hard, and happy. Everyone has a different perspective on things.I believe if you work hard, you get rewarded. If you do what you're supposed to be doing and then some, you will go a long way in your professional career, and that is what this company pushes for.
Pros
Co-workers, Great management
Cons
Miss breaks sometimes
Glad I moved on
GM (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2016
I don't mean any ill will toward ownership or the company but I feel an obligation to warn others. I am suspect of the reviews written with a 5-star rating, especially the one that states they worked at HIG for five years. When I was there, the turnover was horrendous and the longest serving person was about one year in length.
The company is family-owned and though they are well-meaning and trying to create a brand, they don't know the first thing about management or leadership.
The employees were the best part of this company. Almost all of them that I had interactions with were hardworking and very friendly. I felt bad for many of them because they really needed the work and couldn't quit even though many confided that they would, if they could. Ownership did not respect their employees.
My recommendation to ownership: hire the best, train them well, trust them, leave them alone to do their jobs and don't yell at them.
Good luck HIG.
Pros
Working with HIG employees
Cons
Having to interact with ownership
I felt less-than
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 21, 2016
I must say, I am shocked I was even with this company for 2 years. They treat you like you aren't smart but , they will never supply proper training. Be ready to learn a new method of how the owner wants things to work, every single day - differently.

within my 2 years i wasn't given/offered/told/informed of my lunchtimes or breaks. working here was very...different. it opens your eyes to how certain owners want to be.

No benefits. Nothing but a paycheck.
the owner and management looked down upon me a lot.
Pros
a paycheck
Poor company to work for
front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2015
Too bad you have to fill in the Stars the deserve no stars. They hire you without proper hiring procedures or explanation of job. The hire you for one thing and end up having you do multiple things and expect you to do a lot for miserable pay. They have a GM but the owner are always stalking you at the hotel one says on thing then their kids come say another and the owner yet another! Very unorganized and they have no knowledge of brand hotel just cheap roach hotel were they can do whatever they please. They treat their employees like animals!!!!! Stay away from these wanna be hoteliers.
Pros
Cons
They give no breaks only to housekeepers
Great Place with a lot of Potential
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 24, 2015
Hotel Investment Groups and its ownership have provided me with once in a lifetime experiences and opportunities. From traveling to cities I have never seen, learning the hospitality industry, and moving from entry level to executive management in under a year, this company has really opened doors for me.

Like with every golden opportunity, hard work and a desire to succeed were key factors, but the ownership are the kind of people I WANT to work for. I love going to work, and this is the first job I've had where I felt that way.
Pros
Amazing management, great advancement and learning opportunities.