Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
it suck
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Troy, MOJuly 17, 2018
they work you like a dog. Do not ask to be train to moive up in this place . they will find some way to get you out of there . with out listing to your side
Work
Lead Coach (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 29, 2018
The experience in the school is excellent,
the hardest part of the jobs in the school
a typical day at work is nice and hard same
I to get better my team work
n/a
Professional Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 28, 2018
Great company culture and the work is rewarding An Educational Consultant collaborating with schools across the United States for curriculum implementation, instructional coaching, digital program trainings and data-driven instruction.
Great fun place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 27, 2018
Great place to work. Always did things for their workers. Great managers, and great vacations and sick days. Very fair to employees no matter race or religion .
A great place to work !
Clinical Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 21, 2018
A great place to work with good people who support each each-other. The office was clam and relaxing, but the things that needed to get done always did.
productive and fun good people
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILJune 7, 2018
this place i know since i was little family worked there then i worked there as a temp fast moving environment need to learn quickly. and a lot of new people to get to know.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2018
There are many positions at HMH. My position allowed me to travel when necessary and to learn many different skills to present to teachers across the NY, NJ, CT tristate area and sometimes outside of that area. Travelling to various sites and using my personality along with the training I received made it easy to present to schools and feel comfortable with my job
Pros
freedom
Cons
low pay for my experience
Great Company
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Going through the training and learning about how it became what it is today. Great company and Great place to work.
Individual teams are great
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2018
The company as a whole has a lot of room to improve but individual teams can make up for what the overall company lacks. Your experience really depends on your teammates/those you work closest with.
Great group of co-workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 19, 2018
Enjoy working with my team and other groups in the business. I enjoy working there and appreciate the opportunities they have provided me with over the years.
Unfortunately high turnover
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 17, 2018
After a management change in late 2016, the in-house Marketing team has experienced high turnover... a trend that has continued for more than 16 months straight.

Simply put, while the company as a whole was laying off hundreds of full-time employees in the summer of 2017, the Marketing department was still hiring.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay is below industry norms
Great Company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
Great company to work for. HMH has established themselves as an industry leader and their curriculum is fantastic. As an outside Account Manager I felt supported and empowered to perform.
Pros
Great products
Cons
To much red tape in order to get something to market.
Buen trato
Gestora Administrativa (Current Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRMay 4, 2018
Muy responsables con sus empleados, muy buena paga
Interesting and demanding workplace
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 1, 2018
I personally loved to work with this company, structured and strategically centered. I worked as a Project Employee but I was treated as a full time employee with all the benefits even though it was for the time that the project lasted. Great place to work!
Pros
Takes care of their employees
A great place suffering from bad practices
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2018
In general, it's a nice place to work. The people are friendly and the employees feel valued by management (at least immediate management; I can't claim anything about the higher ups/execs).

My main qualm was the outdated tech that we were constantly struggling to maintain. We still had products in flash that we had to continue developing new content for by the time Adobe announced that they were ending support within 2 years. And honestly, that sums up most of the experience.
Pros
New building, Free Lunches during meetings, Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Outdated Technology, Unrealistic Time constraints, Promising products/features before they are made, Disconnect between customer feedback and development team, Commute
Fun, fast paced job
Consultant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 19, 2018
I loved working for HMH. It's a positive, high energy culture. Lots of room for advancement and personal/professional growth. Great employee/manager relationships. Trusting environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, lots of travel perks, great management
Cons
pay could be better
Good place to be
Sr. Sales Support Representative (Tier II) (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILApril 12, 2018
Overall it is a good place to work, but certain departments are more limited for advancement than others. Benefits are good with ample time off. HMH is a good place to begin a career, but not always excel .
Great company
Reconciliation analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 3, 2018
I was there for 12 years . The benefits were great. They did not pay for tuition. Once I completed my degree, they would not give me a raise so I had to leave for my career.
n/a
Trade Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2018
It's a good job for people entering the field of corporate sales. The environment is heavily focused on individual sales goals. cannot recommend this job for gentle- minded individuals that honor teamwork
Best per diem job ever
Educational Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2018
Absolutely loved working per diem for this company. Unfortunately, the business model changed drastically, and the work dried up. Also, when the business model changed, per diem rates went from $500 per day to $27.00 per hour. No bueno!
Pros
Smart work allowed for high pay.
Cons
Frequent management changes and company ownership caused decline in per diem opportunities, full-time positions that were offered were not attractive at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss