Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Employee Reviews

Disappointed and poor management
Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Remote - HomebasedSeptember 17, 2018
I loved my job with HMH when I first started. In the end, I loved what I did, but did not appreciate being taken advantage of. Traveling 2 -3 nights a week was fine. Traveling from Sunday to late Friday was a bit extreme week after week. Not to mention, there was no compensation for my overtime or weekends. In 1 1/2 months, I worked 5 weekend days (which equals a week's work) without any compensation financially or a day given back. Manager was extremely unprofessional and an embarrassment around customers. Human Resources was involved and upper management and they chose to look the other way. PEOPLE DON'T LEAVE JOBS, THEY LEAVE PEOPLE. It is a shame, because working with teachers was something I really enjoyed.
The worse
VICE PRESIDENT OF SALES (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2018
OK - so we weren't part of their core publishing division sos I am not sure how life is on that side of the line. There was never any room for advancement. The compensation/commission structure was set up for you never to earn above your base. Management drove our division into the ground - which happened to be a legacy. They are awful. If educational publishing is your thing, go somewhere else.
Pros
good medical
Cons
everything else but medical
A company that can't find it's way
Sr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2018
Too many turnovers, layoffs. Inconsistent management. Lip service given to career path but no real attention given to employee development. Most of the time managers didn't even know what my skillset was.
Pros
A company with a great legacy
Cons
Poor management, with every turnover it never got better
Great colleagues. Good benefits. Clueless management.
SR DIRECTOR OF MANUSCRIPT EDITING & COMPOSITION (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2018
People tend to stay here for decades because there aren't a lot of other opportunities to work in book publishing in Boston. It's a good company, but not much chance for promotion or advancement. Lots of meetings.
Fun, fast paced job
Consultant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 19, 2018
I loved working for HMH. It's a positive, high energy culture. Lots of room for advancement and personal/professional growth. Great employee/manager relationships. Trusting environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, lots of travel perks, great management
Cons
pay could be better
Collaborative work environment with colleagues that were smart and innovative.
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Lots of emails and phone calls with staff. Every day is different. I got to work very independently. I was in the office 3 days a week and worked from home 2 days/week. I was afforded the opportunity to work on special projects that expanded my knowledge base. I loved working for my managers. All of them were great! Company culture is collaborative, innovative, fast paced. Employees were truly dedicated and believed in the products and services they were creating for our customers. I enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Pros
Great benefits and great folks to work with.
Cons
Job security was always an issue. There were always layoffs.
Unfortunately high turnover
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 17, 2018
After a management change in late 2016, the in-house Marketing team has experienced high turnover... a trend that has continued for more than 16 months straight.

Simply put, while the company as a whole was laying off hundreds of full-time employees in the summer of 2017, the Marketing department was still hiring.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay is below industry norms
Once had good people...
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2018
HMH once had great people and a positive atmosphere. That has all changed in the decade I have worked here. Year after year of layoffs has striped any morale the staff had. There is a common saying here that if you were any good at your job you were either already let go in a layoff or left on your own. Managers hiring unqualified friends has led to an upper management that is unqualified to run this company. Managers engaged in unethical behavior and at times potentially illegal behavior its no wonder they only stay a couple of years here before moving on.
Pros
average pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Relaxed and modern atmosphere, hard workers
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day was office work. I learned a lot about different types of books and their authors. Management was great. The hardest part was that it was a temporary position
Pros
Location, Luncheons
Cons
Temporary position
Company headed for the right direction
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 1, 2018
New CEO has a great vision for the company's future and direction.

Birthdays and anniversaries are recognized.

Lots of recognition and feedback for contributions and stats.

VERY busy mid-summer until after the holidays. Many projects afterwards
Can be good if you have the right manager
Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 21, 2018
HMH is generally a mess. Leadership is very detached from the every day worker. There are many silos making collaboration difficult.

Like many large corporations, the wheels move slowly.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, healthcare, 401K matching
Cons
morale is very poor; everyone has left or wants to
Good
Rostering Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 14, 2019
It was a temporary job but it was a pretty good job. Management was helpful but if a customer escalated a case, they could get a bit underfoot. Other than that, it's pretty good.
Would not recommend
Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 22, 2018
Would not recommend this job for anyone who is looking to move forward with their life. Management was terrible, and didn't seem to know what they were doing either
A great place suffering from bad practices
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2018
In general, it's a nice place to work. The people are friendly and the employees feel valued by management (at least immediate management; I can't claim anything about the higher ups/execs).

My main qualm was the outdated tech that we were constantly struggling to maintain. We still had products in flash that we had to continue developing new content for by the time Adobe announced that they were ending support within 2 years. And honestly, that sums up most of the experience.
Pros
New building, Free Lunches during meetings, Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Outdated Technology, Unrealistic Time constraints, Promising products/features before they are made, Disconnect between customer feedback and development team, Commute
Good place to be
Sr. Sales Support Representative (Tier II) (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILApril 12, 2018
Overall it is a good place to work, but certain departments are more limited for advancement than others. Benefits are good with ample time off. HMH is a good place to begin a career, but not always excel .
Supportive company with children and education at its heart.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Geneva, IL 60134August 3, 2018
HMH provides training and personal support through involved management, with goal of inspiring learning and creativity through text and media. Great support for diversity and parents-who-are-workers.
Fantastic place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 23, 2018
Wonderful people who respect and appreciate each member of their team. The employees truly love what they do and believe they are improving the educational process with the products they create.
Pros
Benefits are above & beyond the norm
Cons
Pay could be a little better, but it isn't bad.
summary
Content Author (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2018
I had a good time working for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I learned html, flash and hexadecimal code. I worked on two major programs: math180 and SMI. The hourly pay was not very good.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
poor salary
Inept Senior Management
Sr. IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 8, 2018
Management understands the industry but lacks focus on operationalizing business initiatives. This has ruined the company's ability to adapt to changing threats. There's a constant goal of getting the next sale without the vision on how revenue will be generated (and costs contained) in the next 1/3/5 years.
Pros
Customer focused
Cons
Myopic management, poor software systems, no investment in the future, no career advancement
I really liked my job and work life was a real plus.
Associate Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  WFHNovember 29, 2018
Great company to work for and the people are all very nice. You have to be very independent and responsible because no one holds your hand. Managers always their for you as sounding board and to provide recommendations when needed.
Pros
Great team. Great manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight