Houlihan Lokey Employee Reviews

A very productive project team
Master in Finance Experiential Learning Project (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2018
Fair Value Analysis of Financial Restructuring Transactions
Chapter 11 bankruptcy research and outcome analysis
Coordinate with project manager to ensure team's efficiency
Do not work here
Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2017
I spent 4 years working for this company and it was the worst experience I've ever had. The management is an absolute joke. They do not encourage out of the box thinking and expect employees to stay in there designated box. Fellow co-workers where allowed to exhibit violent, abusive behavior and the management team and HR chose to look the other way. Do not work here.
Great Place to Launch Your Career
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 28, 2017
Houlihan Lokey is an amazing place to launch your career after undergrad. Great management. The 3 groups are completely different from one another so I can only speak on behalf of mine.
promising opportunity for those looking
Associate, Corporate Finance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2017
promising opportunity for those looking to break into banking. houlihan is a deal shop, so there is tons of work, some painful and some not. but all-in, this is one of the most powerful mid-market IB in the game.
Nice group of people and respectful environment
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2016
I take on different responsibilities depending on what department I am assisting. It's been a great learning process. I enjoy working for this company.
Very fun place to work, with nice people
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
The job was easy and clear everyday that i came to work. There was never a day i did not want to go to work. I really liked my supervisors because each one showed me the ropes and taught me as i was willing to learn.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Cold office area
Productive Workplace
Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 28, 2016
Great company to work at. The people there are very kind and helpful, team players. A very fast pace environment. There is definitely room for growth.
Good Restructuring Deal Flow
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 1, 2016
Long hours and demanding work. Very cliquey culture, so you are either in or out. Hours are long, as you would expect in banking. Management tries to make itself accessible but will make you feel stupid if you ask a simple question. Best part of the job is the experience, the compensation, and the exit opportunities. The worst part about the job is having to work till late at night and have co-workers distract you with different taunts and names.
Pros
Great place to start a career, compensation, very smart people
Cons
Hours, Ego
Productive Fun workplace
Analyst - Financial Advisory Services (Current Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 24, 2016
Great place to work and to learn. Very understanding individuals and some of the most intelligent people you can find in finance.
Great investment bank to work for.
Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
Very collaborative feel to the bank. Small, boutique bank feel with the resources and support of a large, global financial institution. Live deal experience at a junior level and lots of client interaction as well. Good pay structure and benefits. Work/life balance is always a compromise in the industry but, depending on your group at HL, the company does a nice job of allowing you to have your life outside of the job.

Want to know more about Houlihan Lokey?

Ask a question
hard work
Financial Advisory Services - Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2015
Lots of hours required, middle market clients that may not offer the best exit opportunities, 10 days of paid time off which makes taking vacations throughout the year tricky
Middle market investment bank
Director, Mergers & Acquisitions (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
Houlihan Lokey is a middle market investment bank, focused largely on restructuring and private company sell side transactions. The firm enjoys a great reputation in delivering these services.
ok firm
Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2015
okay firm to work for. good people and rich experience. i like the office in new york city. the la office is nice too. growing firm. long hours and a lot of work.
FACILITIES SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2015
Typical day: Non stop running. Dealing with complaints and issues.
What I learned: Not to take things personally
Management: NA
Co-workers: for the most part, my co-workers are amazing. Like most places, you have the good and the bad.
Hardest part of the job: Not taking this stuff home.
The most enjoyable part of the job: I've made a couple of friendships that will follow me when I leave.
Pros
Tons of meetings, tons of free food
Cons
Pay, management
"interesting" place to work
Managing Director - Financial Advisory Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
There are some very talented people at this firm. Unfortunately, it appears to be fun as three separate businesses rather than a cohesive unit.
Pros
Excellent market reputation
Cons
Poorly managed. Little cohesiveness between departments and overall firm strategy.
Great Experience
MBA Summer Associate, Valuation (Former Employee) –  Century City, CASeptember 28, 2014
Great place to gain experience. Not a team oriented environment.
Corporate Environment
Registration Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2014
Good place to work. They want me to post why I have been working for this company. Not sure why you would want me to post that when clearly I am posting a resume to look at potential new positions.
Great company except for the Accounting department
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAJuly 14, 2014
I was not told that the turnover rate for the AP coordinator position was about 6 months.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, giveaways, events, free lunches and snacks
OK place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesApril 2, 2014
Most days are OK. Work/Life balance is decent. Management is horrible. They only think of themselves and how much money they can put in their own pockets. They don't promote hard working employees but rather the lazy ones seem to get ahead. There are some really smart people here but most don't know how to mentor the junior employees.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Compensation doesn't keep up with COL; management only cares about themselves
a sweat shop
Vice President/Partner, Investment Banking (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2014
Very busy place. Little personal time. Completely no work-life balance. Pay is so so, particuluarly considering the hours that have been put in.