House Of Representatives Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Cut throat industry
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2018
The position was always very interesting but depending on your office, sometimes the experience has been known to be lackluster. It's hard to find internships, and this one catapults your resume.
Great experience
Graduate Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 30, 2018
You can learn a lot about government relations and political workings while working with a congressman or congresswoman. Would definitely recommend if interested.
Once you're here... You're just here.
Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2018
Management at the House of Representatives is lacking. We have managers that don't know what they are supposed to do, and don't do their job. We have other managers that micromanage. Benefits are not given out equally, and a lot of the time, reasoning is lacking or just completely made up.
Pros
Fed job, security
Cons
high work load
Work environment
Page (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 21, 2018
Since you are paired up with various amounts of kids your age from all over the state of Washington, you make some great friends as well as learn the ways of the government. Supervisors are very nice and are willing to help and answer questions whenever it is needed.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Friendly and productive work environment. Everyone from HR to fellow staff members are cheerful and happy to help one another
Chief-of-Staff (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 17, 2018
There is no typical day, which makes the job exciting. Being social and able to multi-task is a must. I learned so much about the electoral process and I utilized all my skills everyday, from event planning to budgeting, to data analysis and basic administrative skills.
Pros
Free lunches are often available.
Cons
Very demanding and not much room for growth.
Interesting experience with semi-chaotic management
Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMarch 29, 2018
Peers and tasks weren't an issue, but rather the way the managers handled our team. It was disconnected and somewhat uninterested. The end product of our tasks as a team were good enough to please them though, so all in all it was a worth experience.
It was fun working the first week
I’ve did construction with my uncle (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2018
How to do stuff around the house, build up. What to do when in the house. The hardest part about the job is if your there all day doing the same thing over and over. Working at a fast pace
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Calm but productive work environment
Web Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  National Capital RegionJanuary 30, 2018
Work environment within the facilities is assuring, safe and productive at the same time. A sense of security can be felt throughout the day. Break hours are not too strict too.
Pros
Free Meals, Comfortable Facilities, Flexible Hours
Cons
Exhausting Public Transportation
Fun and interesting workplace
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2018
An amazing way to learn more about your government while still working hard. You have the opportunity to attend briefings on nearly any and all subjects, and gain insight on acts and movements you may not have had any knowledge about.
Pros
Free events
Slow Paced
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 5, 2018
Great people but slow work environment with low pay. You'll enjoy the community but will feel like the pay is not as great as you want. I loved the perks and you will too.
Wonderful experience
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 8, 2017
A wonderful place to work to gain experience with government policies. Positive atmosphere, very fast pass. You encounter and learn something new every day.
Acquired taste
Enterprise Operations Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2017
High stress environment with difficult IT support model and culture. Decentralized system administration makes supporting the customer extremely difficult.
Benefits
Productive and Competitive
Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PROctober 9, 2017
In the House of Representatives I was attended to work with daily public. Pardons from all over the district arrived to request services. Setting priorities on the representative's agenda, working under pressure, customers service, referring citizens to different government agencies were some of the work. I had two manager with whom I have excellent relationship. We were a good team work, with a great lieder.
Pros
Healtcare, Child care, Bonus
Legislative Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2017
great place to work honored to have worked here. one of the best internships i have held. Made me excited for a career in politics and policy. Gained a lot of experience.
Pros
fun
Cons
fun
Enjoyed the position but was looking to move over to the senate. House and senate work enviroments were extremely different. More employees
Chief of staff (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 2, 2017
Enjoyed my time at the house but was looking for a more challenging position in the Senate. More employees and offices and more responsibilities. Collegues were enjoyable to work with as well as constituents. Conflicts resolved much quicker and less complicated with employees and other state departments. Less drafting of legislation. Less meetings to attend. No board memberships.
Pros
Smaller district meaning less constituents, less time spent in session not accomplishing enough legslative issues, enjoyable collegues, learned more computer skills
Cons
Less busy, not enough challenging issues, less responsibilities, lessone on one contact with constituents.
Night Shift Custodian
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 24, 2017
This job is not great experience, nor is it challenging. It is purely a VERY benifitial positon to have for easy money. There are currently just over two dozen workers on my shift. We are responsoble for vacuuming, dusting, collecting garbage, cleaning rest rooms, and ensuring offices are in suitable condition for the day shift workers. As long as you have common sense and a high threshold for those without common sense, you are perfectly suited for the position. For the most part it is a slower paced job, so as long as you are not a vegetable you should be capable of doing well. Minimum pay is around 20k starting plus medical, dental, and vision, plus 403b retirement plan.
Pros
Highest medical copay is $35 for ER visit
Cons
Coworkers without common sense
House of Rpresentatives
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 16, 2017
Performing a variety of cleaning activities such as sweeping mopping buffing and polishing floor. Ensuring all room are care for and inspected according to standards protecting equipment and making sure there are no inadequacies working in harmony in a team environment
Continuous learning opportunities and growth
Internship (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 14, 2017
Great. Exciting atmosphere, fast paced, center of the action, plenty of opportunity for growth, prepares you and puts you ahead of the game for future aspiring lawmakers.
Super fun work envirnoment
Page (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 28, 2017
I had the best time working at the Capitol Building in Jackson. It was an experience that I wouldn't trade for the world. It even made me consider a job in politics.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
I liked the people I worked with. However I was an intern, so answering phones and being yelled at by constituents was not that great.
Capitol Hill Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2017

It's a great experience if you want to learn more about how Congress works, and the effort (both tedious and otherwise) it takes to get a bill passed while keeping your constituents happy.