Housing Authority of the City of Austin Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Great Leadership to follow at HACA/SHCC
Resident Relations Specialist, COS (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2018
It truly was a pleasure to work for HACA/SHCC, the leadership and opportunities that are available to you are hard to come by. I had to relocate, but if I could choose a company if would be HACA/SHCC.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Pay rate
Innovative Agency
Resident Protection Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2018
Working for the housing authority directly impacts the community in a positive way. You can see the work you're doing reflected in the people you serve.
Great internship experience
Project Lead Tech Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2018
Supervisors for internship Pathways works very well at implementing and open and welcoming environment. Interns are offered a unique opportunity to not only work outside of the box but implement projects from the ground up.
Great Benefits
Section - 8 Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2018
HACA has EXCELLENT benefits. I would recommend this place of employment for someone who is just starting out in the work force and need a position where they could develop skills.
Pros
Great Benefits, Lots of holiday pay
Cons
Very Low Team Morale & Cohesiveness
Challenging
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2016
This was the most challenging job I have ever faced. Not just in work performance standards but also emotionally. Everyday was different, you never knew what issues would arise on property. Everyday you leave drained but also with a sense of fulfillment in that your every move each day is to potentially better someone else's life. Co workers were supportive. Hardest part of this job is to bare tough skin, not every situation you handle on property is enjoyable and can have emotional affects on you.
Pros
Training, Healthcare benefits, and resources
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to stay on top of everything at the larger properties
Gente completaban su trabajo a tiempo y de nivel profesional
mantenimiento en general (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2016
Mis colegas de trabajo fueron muy amistosos y me ayudaron mucho en entrenamientos sobre nuevas áreas de trabajo para mi. Aprendí a ser muy paciente con los trabajos mas fastidiosos del labor, pero en total los gerentes y el jefe de Mantenimiento manejaban todo el proceso de un día con facilidad y con mucha ayuda.
Pros
Seguro medico, vacaciones
If you like working with kids, this is the place to be
ADMISSIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2016
I originally started working there because of the passion I had for kids and it grew. I love the people and the children that attend the child care.
Haca
Housing Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2014
A typical work day moves very quickly
- Return Phone Calls / Emails
- File incoming Documents
- Process any Change Requests
- Process daily goals
- Answer as many calls as possible while still getting work flow done
- Handle walk in customers

What I learned most from this company is to work hard while still making time to care for myself because over working yourself will negatively affect your work performance and life enjoyment.

Great Management gives the employees the tools and training they need to perform the job, the support and feedback they need to excel, and enough praise and encouragement to keep working through all obstacles and challenges. Our Managers were very skilled and very much appreciated.

My Co-workers were all very like minded people who chose to work for HACA because they wanted to serve those less fortunate than us in our own community. We did not always get along but we were very close like family. Whenever one worker went down we banned together to get the job done. My co-workers and our work culture were the hardest things to leave behind.

The hardest part of the job was getting everything done in 40 hours a week and keeping a generous attitude even in the face of clients who break the rules and have no appreciation for your hard work on their behalf.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to successfully help those who truly need your help and others will not or cannot stop and take the time to help.
Pros
Staff and work culture, Personal fufillment, and Benefits.
Cons
Work load, Stress level, and Hours required.
Numerous employee events
Safety/Risk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2013
Daily duties are constant/steady , engaging with clients encourages me to continue enjoying me occupation. Evictions is the most difficult part of the job. Seeing and speaking with co-workers distracts me from the toxic situations that are brought forth though out the day.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
negativity that has approached the agency.
Admin spec.. we captured application for housing
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 6, 2012
Wonderfulful work place. Saw clients applying for Housing, Public housing. We had a fun work place only 5 Specialist w/ 1 manager. all wowrked together. see resume..
Pros
good working place, team work at this office
Cons
going out in the rain, hot, days, very cold days, but enjoyed this place!