Housing Works Employee Reviews

ok
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
This organization is very high on getting the job done., It was very stressfull and the supervisors came and gone with in the year that I was there . So it was a lot
good for a noo-profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
the organization as a whole is great, it services a populis that lacks services. the nature of the work greatly depends on which of the 4 current medical offices that you are assigned to work in. or the stores that they run or the administrative offices as well
Interesting and informative.
HIV Testing Recruiter Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYMarch 16, 2018
It was very interesting and I'm still learning about housing works. The culture has made a big turn around and I am optimistic about its future. They have great doctors at the Pitkin av location.
Great Internship
Intake Counselor /Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2018
Learned a lot about working with others that suffer from HIv and dealing with mentally ill patients ,free lunch management pleasant and down to earth .
fun and relaxed
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Peekskill, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Some days better than others but interesting most days. I learned how to move more in a face pace then to drag n slow motion. The hardest part of the job was when the job was slow.
Great Learning Expierience
Adult Day Health Care Program - Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Enjoy the clients and the work, looking to do something new - going back to school and need a job working in a hospital so I have a more flexible schedule to accommodate school.
Lots of fun
Live in Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 19, 2018
Was a pleasure to be able to work at home and to have the good company of my client. Great way to practice all skills. would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Can gain a lot of experience doing this job
Cons
Always on the job
very unpleasant experience
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2017
The Care Management Program at Housing Works was one of the worst, stressful employment experiences I have ever had.
The office space was very over crowded, you would be shifted to different desks or wouldn’t have a space to work consistently due to lack of space for care manager and navigators they hired. People would be very territorial about their desk space and it would become very uncomfortable. There was constant turn over (and they are constantly putting out job listings for their case management program, which obviously says something.) They should focus on keeping the staff they have instead trying to get new due to turnover.

The case load was unmanageable at times and you were constantly pressured to search for people in the community that didn’t want to be found. You were told you have the flexibility which is a way to peak your interest to apply for the position, however, once you get the position and request to work from home, it becomes a problem.

There was also one incident when there was a severe snow storm and public transportation was shut down. I was required to come into the office from another borough while my supervisor was allowed to stay home. All she said was “use your PTO”, however, being on probation you don’t have access to PTO, especially when it’s placed into the same allotment as your holiday and sick hours.

I also had to make a report to OMIG (office of the Medicaid Inspector General) due to billing concerns I had. I am so glad I am out of there.

I will however give it 2 stars because I enjoyed SOME of the people I worked with.
typical day
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is learning about the donations from our supporters. We learn about the history of some pieces of art, statues, and books.
Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 28, 2017
the management lack respect and personal space, I learned how to bill mental health, oasas, ohm, and Medicaid wrap, a typical day is doing about 500 claims
productive workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2017
the environment was nice but they did not give a lot of work to me as a volunteer. The staff helped me figure out how to sell the furniture and when then price tag should be changed. There weren't any hard parts of the job because everything was self explanatory.
Pros
welcoming, respectful
Best place I have ever worked
Art Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
I wish I still worked here. Everyday I would leave work happy and satisfied like I actually did some good in the world. Clients and staff are fantastic
educational
Medical Assistant, Medical Dept. (Internship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
excellent place to grow and learn from. Patients were very colorful and entertaining which helped pass the day along faster. This was an extended internship so i did not get the privilege in working with the staff on that level. However, this work environment had its crazy stressful moments but nothing to extreme.
Pros
sometimes free lunch, great staff
a typical work view
Assistant Residential Safety & Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 13, 2017
a typical day work can be a little overwhelming but with teamwork work is completed. i have learned that Housing works is a healing community and save lives. Sometimes Senior management can be micromanage and demanding when its not really called for. I enjoy working with my team but as far as staff morale that is very low. the hardest part is coming to work feeling like the work you put in or did was not good enough or to feel like your job could be on the line. the most enjoyable part of the job is when our senior executive department come together and show appreciation to everyone with staff parties holiday bonuses etc.
Pros
nice luncheons, staff appreciation, bonuses
Cons
Salaried workers can not get paid overtime
productive and fun place to work at
Dental Assistant & Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2017
productive and fun place to work at. the staff is very pleasing to work with. the patient pool is very diverse and provides an environment for constant learning.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough time to help all the patients
It was a very engaging position.
Substance Use Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
The position allowed me to provide case managemnt services for a disenfranchised population in New York City. I was able to perform those services effectively and garnered good results.
I love Housing Works
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2017
It’s such a chill place to work. I love this place. Everyone are down to earth. Pay is great and there’s always promotions. You can start from a sale associate position and end up as a manager.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Customers want everything their way
Great environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at housing works. Being able to help special populations is a rewarding feeling in which I looked forward to working at their clinics. I truly enjoyed working for this organization.
Fast Paced Enviroment
Senior Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2017
If you're interested in working for housing works, be prepared for a fast paced, ever changing, and extremely colorful experiences there. There's plenty to learn if you really commit yourself.
okay company
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJuly 30, 2017
Ive been at housing works for 5 years.
There is a chance for everyone and job security.
If you get fired you are allowed to fight for your job back.
There. Is alot of perks with this company.
There is room for growth.
I loved working here as entry level and gaining experiences.
Pros
Good Perks
Cons
mangement and salary low