Housing Works Employee Reviews

Very productive
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2018
It was fun learning about an environment and how things are tooken care of in a housing project learnable to life culture it builds character as a man some things you think you wouldn’t do as a child you get a job at doing and see there’s no problem or pressure to work around places you would hang at and now to be taking care of these places
THis place is not the best place for people who are not of the culture they serve
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 20, 2018
This agency has a lack of support for its employee. This agency also has a high turn over rate. Supervisors are not honest and they are out for themselves
Pros
salaries are ok
Cons
This agency does not show much support to their staff.
Fun place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 7, 2018
I had a wonderful 3yrs working as a maintenance technician. Now I'm looking for a new maintenance job we're I can work a very long time. I love the work.
Pros
Sometimes free lunch
Cons
Break are nice
Nice
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2018
I love working for housing works, wish to do it again. I've learned a lot as an employee and as a human being in general. Customers were so kind and nice. everyday at worked i learned something new \as a everyday life thing. For example, i never knew the numbers 925 stands for sterling silver.
Pros
Acts like a family
Cons
short breaks
Housing works is a good company. But lack direction do to mangers not knowing what to do
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  202 east 77thAugust 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for housing works for the most part the experience taught me alot. Especially about people and my self i dont not reccomend the company to a friend the work environment is to stressfull
Pros
Discounted clothing
Cons
Incompitant management
Productive enviroment
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Housing Works was an okay place to work if you enjoyed working with harm reduction. To me, it was a learning experience in different areas of my profession.
Pros
Free food and metro cards
Cons
Sites serviced were dangerous
Productive and peaceful workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2018
Working at Housing Works was nice. I learned a lot about the cause. The staff was kind and helpful. My time working there was short term because it was an school internship but I enjoyed my time there. The store environment and energy was good.
Pros
Good, peaceful work environment.
Cons
Short breaks.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2018
Housing Works is a wonderful organization. I worked for them for nearly 3 years and loved every minute of my work week. They have schedule flexibility as well as full benefits. The only downside to working here is you will be moved to other locations where you may be needed, however, they usually ask you before hand if you are interested in doing that. Management within the company is very good but tends to change frequently. Be prepared to advocate for the company and their cause.
Pros
25% off store products, schedule flexibility
Cons
Management may change
Sales Associate-Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
Housing Works thrift stores have a great atmosphere. I really enjoy my time there .
The management and customers are friendly and the work pace is great because we get donations and there is always something new to do and learn every day.
Residential Aide Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10027June 15, 2018
Interviewed by 3 project managers along with regional manager and director. Very thorough and easy questions. Asked to provide previous examples and how it would relate to role and responsibilities.
very poor environment to work
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2018
waiting rooms are unsafe and hostile with constant raucous breaking out and no security. high levels of managerial dysfunction and lack of support for staffs. fast pace, demanding environment with constant increase in demand for more productivity. people are rude and abrasive. not a good environment to work in.
ok
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
This organization is very high on getting the job done., It was very stressfull and the supervisors came and gone with in the year that I was there . So it was a lot
Paid Time Off
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 6, 2018
This company takes PTO for every single thing. They also say that they encourage educational advancement, but will find ways to hinder you when you need assistance.
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
everything else
good for a noo-profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
the organization as a whole is great, it services a populis that lacks services. the nature of the work greatly depends on which of the 4 current medical offices that you are assigned to work in. or the stores that they run or the administrative offices as well
Interesting and informative.
HIV Testing Recruiter Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYMarch 16, 2018
It was very interesting and I'm still learning about housing works. The culture has made a big turn around and I am optimistic about its future. They have great doctors at the Pitkin av location.
Great Internship
Intake Counselor /Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2018
Learned a lot about working with others that suffer from HIv and dealing with mentally ill patients ,free lunch management pleasant and down to earth .
fun and relaxed
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Peekskill, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Some days better than others but interesting most days. I learned how to move more in a face pace then to drag n slow motion. The hardest part of the job was when the job was slow.
Great Learning Expierience
Adult Day Health Care Program - Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Enjoy the clients and the work, looking to do something new - going back to school and need a job working in a hospital so I have a more flexible schedule to accommodate school.
Lots of fun
Live in Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 19, 2018
Was a pleasure to be able to work at home and to have the good company of my client. Great way to practice all skills. would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Can gain a lot of experience doing this job
Cons
Always on the job
very unpleasant experience
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2017
The Care Management Program at Housing Works was one of the worst, stressful employment experiences I have ever had.
The office space was very over crowded, you would be shifted to different desks or wouldn’t have a space to work consistently due to lack of space for care manager and navigators they hired. People would be very territorial about their desk space and it would become very uncomfortable. There was constant turn over (and they are constantly putting out job listings for their case management program, which obviously says something.) They should focus on keeping the staff they have instead trying to get new due to turnover.

The case load was unmanageable at times and you were constantly pressured to search for people in the community that didn’t want to be found. You were told you have the flexibility which is a way to peak your interest to apply for the position, however, once you get the position and request to work from home, it becomes a problem.

There was also one incident when there was a severe snow storm and public transportation was shut down. I was required to come into the office from another borough while my supervisor was allowed to stay home. All she said was “use your PTO”, however, being on probation you don’t have access to PTO, especially when it’s placed into the same allotment as your holiday and sick hours.

I also had to make a report to OMIG (office of the Medicaid Inspector General) due to billing concerns I had. I am so glad I am out of there.

I will however give it 2 stars because I enjoyed SOME of the people I worked with.