Houston Community College Employee Reviews

Less managers and More tutors (waste of funding)
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
HCC need to get really honest with itself and figure out where the students will benefit the most and use its funding to hire more tutors or focus on keeping the existing ones to help the students. After all, this is a tutoring center.
They have cut tutors hours plus making us travel to different tutoring centers each semester. Their reason is that of funding plus they add this is because of students. Really!!!! Okay!
Honestly, what HCC tutoring centers do not need is these many full-time managers.
This is a big waste of money and resources because what they do throughout of year is very minimal. And I tell you why
Once the schedules are up, management just sits around to check who clocks-in and out and if people are bringing food to the lab, etc. And they have recipients to give them all sorts of help.
These managers are not knowledgeable to help out in any subjects the centers are offering. So much pressure is on the tutors.
I have to add I am not against having managers but not this many.

Q1) A typical day at work: Answering students questions
Q2) what you learned: not much
Q3) management: waste of funding, angry, and not helpful
Q4) Workplace culture: casual
Q5) the hardest part of the job: not having supports
Q6) the most enjoyable part of the job: managers take the joy away
Cons
When you see managers are relaxing and you are dealing with 6 students at once
Tutor Chemistry
Tutor Chemistry and Lab (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2018
I working for Tutor student on Chemistry in Houston Community college. I work with students about their problems about chemistry. I listen with them about their problems
extraordinary and loving people
SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTIONS LEADER (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXSeptember 27, 2018
Being a supplemental instructions leader allowed me to connect more with students. I got to experience the best of both worlds, teacher, and student. My Head Professor was so nice and understanding. The management made sure that I had everything I needed for my job. It was the best experience.
Favoritism and Rudness Because of Boredom- I think! :)
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Workplace Culture:
I would say lack of respect and manipulation are the main two things I hear a lot. Management does not respect you and can act unprofessionally unless you are related to somebody they like or you are somebody they like, which has nothing to do with the performance and work ethic. They talk down to people in front of everyone at times and even yell at them which is very sad.

If you have any problem I would highly suggest testing the waters first before discussing your issue. They might make you feel comfortable to go to them but you might be manipulated. Do not suggest anything, ask for anything, and do not complain because it seems like these kings and queens do not want to be awakened or bothered.

Always try to stay on their good side.
Pros
Min to work is about 5 hours per week-Max is 19.5 per week
Cons
Dealing with rude, unreasonable and bullies managers.
Its ol
Instructional Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Its been ok working here so far. Most people are very nice, wish there was more upward mobility. It's a school so they work off budget so pay changes and positions can be changed or eliminated.
Cons
Need more advancment
Great institute
Student (Former Employee) –  HoustonSeptember 19, 2018
This institution provides high quality education service. A professional staff and great environment are the perfect combination to complete your preparation and education.
workplace with a few perks
Work Study Assistant, Info Line Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Enjoyed my work time there worked also with my school schedule. There was usually a change occurring that we all would adapt too but it was good helping.
Pros
helping people
Home
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2018
This is the best place i have ever worked, very professional, secured environment, no stress, fair pay, very organized management and staff, standard education at its peak
Brunch is always provided for all
LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2018
This work community is a place I really enjoy working especially with the fact that I like meeting young talented students with bright new ideas, mostly straight from high school. It makes me feel younger and active! It is somewhat a service for a locality, meeting with young, agile, enthusiastic and determined students in the neighborhood who have vision and strive to be somebody great in future gives me a comfort feeling that these students are well led by great instructors and mentors.
Pros
Free Brunch, free giveaways/souvinirs
Cons
Healthcare, unpaid holidays/breaks
productive and fun
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
I took a couple of online classes here before transferring to another school. Everyone from the business center to student counselor made me feel at ease throughout the whole process.
Was a great place to work
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2018
I enjoyed my tenure at HCC and wish I never had to leave. I would happily return given the chance. Good people to work with for the most part. An expanding district full of opportunity.
Pros
close to home and comfortable
Cons
Oscar Gonzalez
Great Place
Advisor, Pathways & Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2018
Fun team. Great place to work. Constantly changing processes, but always moving towards improvements. Pay for the position is more than most. Leadership is approachable.
Productive fun place to work
Grants Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Great place to grow and develop. Each day is an opportunity to impact the community and each and every student. I have worked in several different organization during my time here and each stop had a very strong desire to directly and/or indirectly serve all students.
Productive and mainly easy going
Biology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I've learned many skills on this job and at times am given other tasks that may need more attention. Pretty regular paced but a bit hectic at the beginning and ending of each semester. I enjoy getting to know the friendly people I work around. This job is convenient with much opportunity.
Pros
Flexible hours and friendly people to work with
Cons
low pay
Great place to work, especially the Department of Education
Adjunct Professor Teacher Education Department (Current Employee) –  Houtson, TXAugust 28, 2018
I teach Introduction to the Teaching Profession guiding students to analyze and evaluate teacher preparation programs, effective teaching strategies, their own employability, and the role of educators as they decide whether teaching could be a satisfying career for them; and guiding students to explore, examine, and evaluate current issues affecting the field of education today.
Pros
Education Department is great
Cons
Salary is low
Productive place to work
Enrollment Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2018
I enroll students, take transcripts, shot records...etc,and let students know if they have missing documents and help them on the computers to register.
Multitasking job, very challenging
Teacher Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2018
HCCS is a great institution and I was honored to work there. Regrettable, when grant ends, the newest employees are the target for layoffs.
Additionally, the poor direction from upper management creates an hostile workplace environment.
Pros
Free to use creativity
Cons
Poor direction
Student Accounts Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2018
Great work environment, with great leadership. I love what I do, I'm just not making enough. Houston Community College has a positive work environment.
Good Place to work
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  5601 West Loop Campus, Houston, TX 77081August 16, 2018
HCCS is good place to work but low salaries and low chances of promotions. Promotions based on who you know and in the company, On employment merit there is no chances of promotions.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
low salaries and no promotions
Partime instructor
Continuing Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
This has been a very enjoyable position. I have been allowed to get to know some students and instructors. My classes are usually in the evenings or on weekends, so as to not interfere with my regular position.