Houston Community College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very relaxed and chill atmosphere
Alternative Teacher Certification Program (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
If you are there to work as a part time or work study it is a very fun job. The people you work with are very nice and they seem to enjoy their work..
Pros
Chill
Fun working environment
Job Placement Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
The office was full of life. The manger would engage her employees to put our best foot forward and she always encouraged us to be of great service. We operated as a team and i enjoyed my work days.
Pros
Hour Breaks and off on weekends
Cons
When I had to leave
meh
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
managers do not know what they are doing and students are not the focus. very disorganized and information isnt always accurate. there is no sense of community
Flexible work schedule
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
They allow their employees to vary their arrival and/or departure times and complete their prescribed number of hours per week and be present during the peak hours.
Pros
Flexible schedule for part-time
Cons
Low pay, no structure, lack of good leaders
A decent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
HCCS is a decent place to work. Typically dealing with students is a huge part of the job and is the most enjoyable part of the job. Workplace culture could be better but it can be pleasant.
Just because you have a title does not mean you get to delegate. Once in a while is okay to get your hands dirty.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Leadership are so wrap up in meetings and conferences that they forget the real meaning of why they are working at a community college. They should learn from the front line employees who know more about the company than they do.
Pros
Get to make someone smile.
Cons
Awful leadership.
a great place to start a carreer
Educator in all branches of Cosmetoogy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
very flexible/understanding/ great place to start a carreer. I thought it was one of the best moves in my life It's very unfortunate that they do not offer benefits cause that would require medical insurance.
Pros
lots of potential
Cons
no full time jobs are usually available
Work Empowerment
Data Warehouse Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
Environment of trust and support in a team. Excellent management. Welcoming work environment. I felt empowered in my work. Managers were encouraging and appreciative of my work..
Ideal place for part time jobs
Enrollment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
The most enjoyable part of this job is helping other people, most of the students need information about the process through enrollment and we care about the attention according to their necessities of the students
Pretty cool
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXJune 21, 2018
This was my first time working as a work study student. The staff that supervised me were very helpful. The atmosphere was pretty laid back off,which allowed for time to complete class assignments, and it was awesome being able to help out my fellow student.
A good place to work if you enjoy teaching
Instructor, Computer Science Dept (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
Enjoyed the job as an instructor because when teaching you get to share your knowledge, keep up to date with material being taught. It provides an opportunity make a contribution to society.
HCC part-time experience
Structural welding instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2018
HCC is a place where you have to wait for some one to DIED in order to be a full time employee. The most enjoyable part of the employment was teaching students the skill they came to learn.
Pros
hands on practice
Cons
getting locked out of building
Productive fun workplace
Office assistant at dual credit department in HCC (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 27, 2018
Extremely great work environment, collaborative, easy-going but at times fast-paced. commutation is key in this job. It's all about teamwork, everyone is looking to work together to have a productive work week.
Pros
breaks
Cons
A great place to work for part-time adjuncts
Cosmetology Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2018
Loved the diversity of the students. Positive and engaging atmosphere was the most enjoyable part of the job. When students feel positive it shows in their work.
I learned to respect my co-workers as well as my students.
The hardest part of my job was the lack in hiring full time employees and no benefits for adjuncts.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No room for advancement
Receptionist
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 21, 2018
Working there has been a good experience for me. it a good place to work. The management is excellent. The managers a helpful in making your job more less stressful.
Pros
good management
Great internship
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2018
I had a great internship at HCC. I learned a lot about technical drafting through classes and hands on experience. I would recommend attending HCC if you are interested in learning valuable skills used in the workplace.
Pros
Good programs
Cons
Expensive books
Productive work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
Work pace is fast and slow at times, Great co workers and a great place to work for. learned skills like communicative, office environment. The hardest part of the job is when enrollment starts. The work place environment is fast and must be able to work in a fast , and be attentive.
I learned the fundamentals of running a college campus along with acquiring new experience
Pt Workstudy Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
I loved working for the campus manager she was very informative and a pleasure to work for and with. The staff and faculty were always helpful, friendly, and well versed in their chosen fields.
Pros
Access to vendor sponsored programs at the college for students.
Cons
Not enough pay for clerical positions.
good work place
district-wide monthly testing associate meetings (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
Its a good place to work ,when you can find a full time job inside not part time job. its a good for people have second job or they have to finish their education . it has a flexible schedule
Pros
nothing
Cons
short break
Not that great
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
Depending on what department you are in, this place can be fun and great to work in. However, the racial segregation is felt across campus and its not just with the students its also with the staff/faculty. If you have a supervisor who is black and you are not, or at least have a high degree of education, you will be treated less than your minority colleagues