Houston Grand Opera Employee Reviews

Great people, not so great organization
Assistant to the Producing Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
I absolutely loved the people I worked with! But the overall organization is disjointed and dysfunctional. Nearly zero professional development and lots of micromanaging. Internal communication is a joke.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
No professional development, no set standard of conduct across departments, micro managers, no room for mistakes
Great for High Schoolers or Retirees
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2018
This is a really laid back customer service job. You really get to know your co-workers, since there is a lot of downtime. There are bursts of activity followed by long lulls.
Fun casual work enviornment
Customer Service Rep/Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
I enjoyed working part time for HGO, if it paid better I might have stayed longer. It was a fun seasonal job and I enjoyed hearing free operas while I responded to calls.
Pros
stress free
Cons
low pay-seasonal
Great
Dancer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2018
Good job ! Loved it. I worked with really cool dancers and singers. Management was very wonderful in how they treated us. I had a really fun time. Recommended.
Great Company, Great People
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2018
The workers are nice and friendly and i wish I could work there for a very long time. The building is clean and the benefits are nice (and they include complementary opera tickets too).
Got to see free opera, ballet, and symphony regularly
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2018
The opportunity to work in the arts and witness first hand what goes into the production made the job interesting.
The work load fluctuated depending on whether in repretoire or not.
You had weeks of lots of long hours, followed by weeks of slower times.The culture of working there was great! The hardest part of the job was wanting more time for advanced training, but not receiving it.
Pros
working in a beautiful building downtown, and free workout room
First step
PM Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2017
In the world of music or fine arts administration, this is the perfect environment to learn and grow from. It does get redundant at times, being that you have limited work capabilities, but the things you pick up will be valuable in the long run.
Houston Grand Opera - environment
Telemarketer and other roles (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2017
A typical day at work entails what I learned management workplace culture is very hardest part of the job is and the most enjoyable part of the job is recognition hard work.
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2017
This is a laid back environment for a call center. In constant touch with all parts of the Wortham Theater, Houston Ballet, SPA, and other theater district organizations. Plenty of networking opportunities to be found here with customers.
Pros
Free tickets, company events, public transportation reimbursement.
Cons
Below average salary, parking is expensive.
The time of my life
Chorus Member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2016
I love working at the opera. It is a dream come true. This job gives me the chance to support myself doing something that i truly love. It really has been a blessing
No training program, horrible pay and benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2016
Wortham Center is an awesome building. That is as far as it goes. No training program, Basic attitude, "Here do this". Abusive management, confusing and unreasonable assignments.
Pros
Occassional opera tickets
Cons
Sales Director, Marketing Director, filthy building, Pay for parking
Costume Shop
Stitcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2016
My review is only for the costume shop.
The job was actually a very fun job and I loved the work, but the way the shop was managed was not ideal. The shop supervisor was not ready for the position.Everybody is related, nepotism is practiced to an unheard-of degree. Several of the shop stitchers have left with no plans to return. Should speak volumes to management.
Pros
If you love theater, the work is crazy exciting.
Cons
Poorly run costume shop.
HGO is a wonderful place
Vicar and Director of Music (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXDecember 11, 2013
You constantly are reconnecting with old colleagues and meeting and working with new ones!
Fun and creative environment
Executive Assistant to Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2013
Enjoyed working in this environment
Loved being exposed to the arts
Encouraged creativity
good
usher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2013
Nice enviornment, friendly co-workers, you get to watch the opera.
Very easy going and interesting job
Usher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2012
A day at the Houston Grand Opera begins at least two hours before the performance. The ushers gather briefly to identify their positions for the night and then quickly get there. Then, the ushers pick up and distribute opera programs to the patrons. Ushers usually sit around while the opera goes on but assist any concerns the patrons may have. After the opera, the ushers begin to clean around the seats and then leave. The ushers range from different ages and some are easier to work with than others. I have learned to accommodate myself with difficult situations and some difficult people. There is a lot of standing but the job is very easy going. I enjoy how relaxing yet how cultured the atmosphere is.
Pros
free viewings of the opera shows
Cons
immature co-workers, a lot of standing
A day at the office
Receptionist/Admin. Asst. (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2012
Houston Grand Opera is a phenomenal company to work for especially if you love the arts. You will meet and be exposed to some of the most talented and fascinating people on a contant basis. We operate on the samde high standards like any other typical corporate office, except we might be a tad bit more secured becaused of the artist in the building especially during opera season. For me the most important thing to emphasize is that as the Receptionist you are the frontal face of the company, meaning I am the first voice they hear and the first face they see, and that must be held in the most highest of standards.
Pros
banquets, galas, parties, shows
Cons
no benefits