HOUSTON HOSPICE

HOUSTON HOSPICE Employee Reviews

Great place with great people
I loved my job at Houston Hospice. If I hadn't moved I would hope to still be employed there. My bosses were working bosses. Everyone cared about our patients.
No Comment at this time
Houston Hospice provides compassionate, caring end of life services. I would choose Houston Hospice if my loved one needed this type of care. The staff are wonderful.
Excellent place to work
Great coworkers, great learning environment, excellent orientation and continuing education program for nurses. Supportive management and pretty layback environment as long as you do your job well.
Great experience
Training is good but needs more specifity in administrative positions.
nursing training is great. Antiquated computer system but easy to learn. Benefits are good, and no need for parking contracts in area.
Low pay
Company great management not so much they show favoritism they don't like for you to voice your opinion they take stuff personal they can't take constructive criticism they as in team supervisor
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Great Company
Great Company and rated the top Hospice in Houston consecutive years in a row.

Also rated one of the top 100 companies to work for in Houston noted in Houston Chronicle
Cna
I didn’t like it as they are like a high school click. Everyone goes to management for everything that shouldn’t be put up there but discussion you could work out. Their is a manager that lies to keep themselves in the clear, racism, hateful people that dislike u advancing and fire u for no reason. Good workers never stay and I’m talking about CNAS. They would call me on my days off when it wasn’t really important.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Manger calls on your days off, gossipers, lack of management doing anything
Long hours and much charting
Typical days are long with much charting after hours at home. Frequent on call hours and much travel between patients. Management expectations are high.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HOUSTON HOSPICE?
Challenging
Excellent teamwork among the interdisciplinary team. Caring and knowledgeable staff. The best part of the job is making a difference in the patient and families' experience at the end of life. The worst part of the job is understaffing with unrealistic case loads, high turnover of staff, and ineffective management.
Great Employer!
Houston Hospice is a great place to work. Co-workers are knowledgeable and very supportive of each other.

Benefits and pay are competitive. As a brand new FT employee I earned 18 days of PTO and 10 Holidays during my first 12 months. That is an incredible amount of time off! If I don't use all of my PTO hours during the year the hours will roll over into the next year. Houston Hospice offers health, dental and vision, Life/LTD, AFLAC benefits. Employees also have an opportunity to save for retirement via a 403b account (because they are not-for-profit). Houston Hospice even contributes towards my retirement regardless if I decide to save or not. This company reimburses for mileage, parking, and tolls. All are paid promptly.

All levels of leadership work hard to hold their teams to a gold standard. Providing excellent patient care is definitely the driving force at Houston Hospice. Strong clinical and HR policies and procedures are in place to help support this. Sr. Leadership has a fairly open door policy (everyone's so busy that sometimes you hate to disturb anyone). The Human Resources lady is available to support and answer questions as they come up.
Pros
Co-Workers, PTO/Holiday Time
With A certified Dietary manager, could be a beautiful place to work!
Management sucks in the kitchen. Very rude and disrespectful. And as a manager very unprofessional. They can't keep anyone over 2months and it's not the workers it's management. I pray they get a good manager because it can be a great place to work. Nurse staff was very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Pay
Official response from HOUSTON HOSPICE
December 17, 2018
Thank you for your post and feedback. We believe in having a quality-driven workplace where customer service, employee partnership and operational excellence are essential among our core values. We will always try to do better.
Nice productive place to work
It was an ok job your money was actually based on mileage bc your mileage is what made your check but I loved helping family get their family member comfortable upon their last days
Pros
Discount on lunch
Cons
Shortcakes
Great company to work for and great co-worker. I love their teamwork culture!
Houston Hospice is a community based, non-profit hospice which provides uncompromising, compassionate end-of-life care to patients and families in our community regardless of ability to pay. The organization as a whole are committed to being the highest quality hospice provider wherever we serve patients and families. All members of the hospice team really do an outstanding job in living up to our mission!
Pros
Great work environment; very calm and peaceful.
Cons
One must attend the deaths of pediatric patients
Houston Hospice is an Environment of Dignity and Transition
A typical day for me is Assisting Patients in a Respectful, Dignified , Charismatic Way of Adult Living. Acknowleging All Human Rights of the Patient and Families. Assisting with Medical Terminolodgy in Fullfilling Tasks of Correspondance with Staff Members such as Registered Nurses, LVNs, Doctors, Social Workers, Volunteers, Management, Patients, Families. Learning A Variety Of Diverse Religion Backgrounds. My most Important Factor is caring for the Patient . Assisting with the Transition of a Peaceful Environment with the Sigh of a relief from the Patient when the task is completed and to observe the delight in their face and in the their love one face. To hear the Familes stories and the hear the laughter in their voices. As far as Time Management their is no Expediteness in this Process. A level of Appreciation in Life Homegoing of Transition to separate the body from this Earth is Unspeakable joy to most. The Grieving and the Loss Process of a Patient after a length of caring is almost like losing a new found friend. Love What I do........
Pros
Providing Best Care
Cons
there are none
Great Place to Work
The work can be emotionally draining but rewarding. There is a rather large area to drive/operate in. It is a non-profit so the pay is not as good as it could be. The benefits are good and the atmosphere is better than most. Overall great place to work.
Great Non Profit Organization
The organization does a great job at what they do for the community.

Management is lacking. They need a change.

Nurses are great!

They could improve on employee morale.
slow paced
small non profit organization. worked many years ago not sure if the same applies to the facility. It was a great place to learn ethical and professional skills.
Simply amazing and intriguing
Meeting wonderful families as well as patients was truly an awesome experience. Knowing that I was able to help provide comfort and guidance for loved ones was truly something special. Houston Hospice provided all that was needed and required to do so. They made the job very comfortable for their employee. You will be prepared for your job.
Stressful
This company has unreasonable caseloads, especially considering the electronic medical records program. To see 3 new people a day and get in all in the computer system takes more than 8 hours; to constantly keep a load and see old/new patients and see them as much as possible as they get close to end of life is impossible. I love hospice but of you want any personal life at all, forget it. Management has turned over and still has a manager that simply put is a bully.
Pros
Pto
Highly recommended
Houston Hospice is a wonderful place to work. I got to work with compassionate, caring people. I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking employment in the hospice field.
fine ok
calm environment, clean, nice staff, volunteers are great, loved by family members, staff and family recommend Houston Hospice for services of their loved ones.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay