Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews

Retires
RTO Response Team Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2018
A typical work day is you start a 5am to 8am then your on a break and come back at 230pm to 430pm. Your responsible for getting kids to and from school safely. The hardest part of the job is insuring the safety of the students. I really enjoy being able to converse with the students and being able to mentor the ones that you see every day.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not enough hours
Terrible working conditions
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2018
HISD has the most disrespectful administrators! They bully their employees, the students, and sometimes the parents, and the district goes out of their way to protect the administrators. The district is very large and diverse so there are some good schools but not many. Most schools are underfunded and they expect teachers to buy their own classroom supplies. They require a lot of professional development with no extra pay but at least the presenters are very knowledgeable and help you learn valuable information to make you a better teacher.
Pros
Good professional dvelopment, most holidays off, decent benefits
Cons
Bullying, high demand, no work life balance, extra work but no extra pay
Dealing with Parents and Student is tough
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working with the co-workers at my job, but the parents and their children are so disrespectful and the compensation was not worth it. The hardest part was the commute from one side of town to the other.
Pros
Catered Lunches, Benefits, Flexible PTO
Cons
Compensation, Commute, Student/Parent relations.
Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77092November 7, 2018
Committed to serve all internal and external customers, regardless of the outcome makes me happy. Days are productive when you time manage your work. Unsuccessful with being trained in own department when asked consistently in order to be a well rounded team player.
Pros
Providing customer service
Cons
Unappreciated
5 Star
Special Education Behavior Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed the cultural atmosphere that Houston ISD provided, however, l felt something else was lacking within the management team causing some teachers including myself to resign.
Flexible Work Environment
Construction Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2018
Most departments allow its employees the flexibility to maintain their personal and professional lives. Management strongly encourages employees to pursue higher education.
Try hisd
Special Education Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2018
If you make it your business to serve scholars, you will be just fine. As with any public school teaching position, there will be changes and annual goals and objectives that change. Try your best and you will thrive in this arena.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Ten hour days to do a good job
Very productive work environment
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2018
While I was working I enjoyed my days at times yes it was a little challenging but I was able to succeed. I learned a new system called SAP and it is a little confusing at first but got better.
busy
General Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2018
help teachers, staff and parents. Took care of students in classrooms when teachers were absent. Were in charge of lunch applications and cards. Sold uniform shirts. Covered for front desk receptionist when needed.
Great place to work if you are pursuing a career
Src teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2018
I enjoyed the time I worked for hisd. It gave me access to a different experience and was welcomed like family . There are always some pros and cons of every job but I would have to say that the pros outweigh the cons on this job.
Its a career
CLASSROOM TEACHER-THIRD GRADE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2018
It was busy, had to keep up on your continue education. it takes a village, had to work with parents and admin. If you had a good team and a pretty descent school with good leadership stay
Good learning evironment
Business Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
HISD can be very supportive to you in your career. There are many programs that they offer. It can be hard to re-enter at times depending on the position you are looking for.
Bus Driver
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
Come in at your scheduled time and complete your morning and afternoon portion of your route. Learning how to properly transport students safely to school and back to their homes.
Enjoyable and challenging experience.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2018
The 30 years that I spent as an educator in Houston I.S.D. we're enjoyable. I was able to expand. my knowledge of music education , make life-long friends and affect the lives of countless students.
Pros
Endless learning opportunities for personal growth. Participation in student interaction and growth
Cons
Stressful
Working at Houston ISD
Linked Learning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2018
Coming from and working with other ISD, I enjoyed working in the West End of the district. I was rewarded and given opportunities to strengthen my career in education administration.
Pros
Student Organizations
Cons
Lack of funds
School has been completely reorganized since I left.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2018
I worked in a Title 1 school. The work was challenging, but rewarding. Most of the students are Hispanic--about 98%. Parents are appreciative of outreach from the teachers. I really loved working with these students.
Literacy/Grade Level Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Woodson Pred-K8October 11, 2018
Good place to work, High Expectations, support given consistently, Can be challenging due to the nature of working multiple stakeholders, as in all aspects of education.
Pros
team support and summers off
Cons
work /life balance
Sterling
Teaching Assistant/Substitute (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
The management is terrible in the SpeD department specifically. they show a lot of favoritism and they often fabricate a lot. They have their favorites and if your not one of them then you definitely wont last long without being written up before they can find a reason to terminate say for instance the many write ups. The school this is in reference to is Sterling Aviation High School.
n/a
Team lead manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
a typical day of work come in at opening make sure everything is on greet staff. paperwork completed and serve students breakfast, prep food for lunch, serve and clean kitchen. the thing i enjoy is the people i work with and seen the customers smile when they feel as if you are catering to their needs and wants.
I spent most of my career with this company.
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2018
The Houston ISD gave me the opportunity to manage daily operations with very little big brother intervention. I worked with a very large team daily, over 260 employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight