Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews

Driver (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 20, 2018
Houston isd is not a good place to be at a long time just do whatvu eave to do and move on not a friendly place good place to get to get experience don't make it a place where where you can make a make a career driving is for retirement people only.
Pros
Poor
Cons
Poor
Good
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
I went a Drive For School district get the Children to School And From School. Safety.Go On Field Trip all way Be Safety.help theChildren off the Bus
Good
Cons
Do the Job Well
A Day in the District
Magnet Coordinator / Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  Barbara Jordan High SchoolJuly 18, 2018
Arrived early on campus 6:30 AM and would leave sometimes at 7:00 PM. I learned how to work with students outside of a teaching position. The school was managed very professionally. Everyone worked together. The long hours were very stressful as the Magnet Coordinator. As a Magnet school I really enjoyed the Curriculum and the teachers dedication to the goals and objectives of the School. The Principal was outstanding in her position as Principal.
Pros
Food for the faculty on PD days.
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work at
Accounting Budgeting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2018
I have been here 13yrs so I guess I like it. I have a learned a lot and still learning. Learning how to work in VIM was a diffucult but it has gotten much easier
Team oriented environment
Cashier/Food Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2018
We have a good working environment, helpful coworkers. Everyone works well as a team. Enjoy interacting with students, school staff, parents and teachers.
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
decreased salary during summer months
Great Work Environment
Parent Engagement Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
I loved my time at Houston Independent School District. I learned a lot and met a lot of positive people. Working and helping children was very rewarding and I appreciated the opportunity to be instrumental in the development of children.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
hard
Fun and busy place to work
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
Day consists of seeing students, mainly in groups for therapy. Worked with a confident group of coworkers who had the student's best interest at heart.
Fun and productive
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
It was a very good place to start working because it was easy and fun at the same time, my supervisors were very helpful knowing it was summer and i was just starting work. i would recommend it!
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
Early shifts
Ok place to work
5th Grade Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
HISD is a ok place to work, however my position did not yield all the benefits that are offed by the company. Management micro manages and there is no accountability because the principals don't have to answer to anyone about their actions in the individual schools.
This job gave some very good experience
OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2018
I learned a lot of new knowledge working for HISD because we were able to be flexible for learning new things with this company. One day I would be consider an office clerk and on another day I would be used as a class room assistant when ever we were short of staff for that day. I learned to be mult- flexibility person working here.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
lots of kids
good experience overall
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
the job was very beneficial for me as a single parent, there were times i could take my kids to school or wait at the bus stop for them. You are the only medicl person on campus but another nurse is ALWAYS just a phone call away if you have a question or need back up. It can be stressful dealing with sooo mny personalities since EVERYONE will come to you for advice, help etc which towards the end i found emotionally taxing but if you are really a compassionate individual and a team player everyone will absolutely love you.
Pros
getting off early, no weekends, holidays and you get paid summers no wk
Cons
the pay is low for a nurse, there is no separate pay scale you are on a teacher salary pay scale
As a Parent Engagement Representative at a high school the demands of my job are different than primary schools.
Parent Engagement Representative (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2018
I have the opportunity to build relationships with community leaders and act as a liaison between the administrative staff and our community partners. The benefits are being allowed to be creative and develop your roll without being micromanaged. I have enjoyed working for HISD and becoming the face of my school.
Great work place
Child Nutrition Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Management team was awsome to work with. working and feeding the kids was a pleasure to be doing. seeing the smiles on kids faces everyday put a smile on mine
Loft of Uncertainty
Purchasing Card Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
Overall, I enjoy working for the company because I know my job very well. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with the future of the district because of its funding. There is a lot of inconsistancies across the entire dynamic of the company which causes every employee and every manager to lead in their own way versus the company's documentated way.
Pros
Paid time off for Spring Break, Thanksgiving and the Winter Break
Cons
Hard to grow and advance, zero recognition
unfair assessment
3rd grade Math & Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2018
This was so long ago that I cannot even be sure what is the same and what has changed so this is not a fair assessment of Houston Independent School District.
Large and disorganized district
Instructional Specalist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 30, 2018
The rate of change creates a lack of sense of security and stability. Every year brings many changes and often layoffs for school administrators. But because it is a large district there are opportunities to move around.
Not for those who want success, Just if you enjoy teaching
Science Teacher/ Grade Level Chair (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
I would not recommend becoming a teacher to anyone. There are far too many opportunities today to make money and you cab still volunteer at a school. Don't do it!
Great organization to work and retirement.
Teaching Assistant;Special Education (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
Very busy, at times fun,teachers care.
helpful,collaborative receptive.
negative vie
Excellent place to work as well as retire, and student outcome.
Pros
healthcare insurance
Cons
pay for paraprofessionals, short lunch break.
Dedicated employee
Teacher Assistant (Sp. Ed.) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
I enjoy my job, I'm dedicated to my students. I've learned that so many students are so disadvantaged and Im there to help them in every way I can. This job is my passion!!!
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
the pay to teacher assistants isnt fair at all!!!!!!!
Hisd
PARENT ENGAGEMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
Houston independent school district is a great place to work to cultivate the minds of the global society youth here in Houston. Teachers are very professional and very well trained. The support departments assist employees in every way possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight