Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Work Environment
Parent Engagement Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
I loved my time at Houston Independent School District. I learned a lot and met a lot of positive people. Working and helping children was very rewarding and I appreciated the opportunity to be instrumental in the development of children.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
hard
Fun and busy place to work
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
Day consists of seeing students, mainly in groups for therapy. Worked with a confident group of coworkers who had the student's best interest at heart.
Fun and productive
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
It was a very good place to start working because it was easy and fun at the same time, my supervisors were very helpful knowing it was summer and i was just starting work. i would recommend it!
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
Early shifts
Ok place to work
5th Grade Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
HISD is a ok place to work, however my position did not yield all the benefits that are offed by the company. Management micro manages and there is no accountability because the principals don't have to answer to anyone about their actions in the individual schools.
This job gave some very good experience
OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2018
I learned a lot of new knowledge working for HISD because we were able to be flexible for learning new things with this company. One day I would be consider an office clerk and on another day I would be used as a class room assistant when ever we were short of staff for that day. I learned to be mult- flexibility person working here.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
lots of kids
As a Parent Engagement Representative at a high school the demands of my job are different than primary schools.
Parent Engagement Representative (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2018
I have the opportunity to build relationships with community leaders and act as a liaison between the administrative staff and our community partners. The benefits are being allowed to be creative and develop your roll without being micromanaged. I have enjoyed working for HISD and becoming the face of my school.
Great work place
Child Nutrition Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Management team was awsome to work with. working and feeding the kids was a pleasure to be doing. seeing the smiles on kids faces everyday put a smile on mine
Loft of Uncertainty
Purchasing Card Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
Overall, I enjoy working for the company because I know my job very well. However, there is a lot of uncertainty with the future of the district because of its funding. There is a lot of inconsistancies across the entire dynamic of the company which causes every employee and every manager to lead in their own way versus the company's documentated way.
Pros
Paid time off for Spring Break, Thanksgiving and the Winter Break
Cons
Hard to grow and advance, zero recognition
unfair assessment
3rd grade Math & Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2018
This was so long ago that I cannot even be sure what is the same and what has changed so this is not a fair assessment of Houston Independent School District.
Large and disorganized district
Instructional Specalist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 30, 2018
The rate of change creates a lack of sense of security and stability. Every year brings many changes and often layoffs for school administrators. But because it is a large district there are opportunities to move around.
Not for those who want success, Just if you enjoy teaching
Science Teacher/ Grade Level Chair (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
I would not recommend becoming a teacher to anyone. There are far too many opportunities today to make money and you cab still volunteer at a school. Don't do it!
Great organization to work and retirement.
Teaching Assistant;Special Education (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
Very busy, at times fun,teachers care.
helpful,collaborative receptive.
negative vie
Excellent place to work as well as retire, and student outcome.
Pros
healthcare insurance
Cons
pay for paraprofessionals, short lunch break.
Dedicated employee
Teacher Assistant (Sp. Ed.) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
I enjoy my job, I'm dedicated to my students. I've learned that so many students are so disadvantaged and Im there to help them in every way I can. This job is my passion!!!
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
the pay to teacher assistants isnt fair at all!!!!!!!
Hisd
PARENT ENGAGEMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
Houston independent school district is a great place to work to cultivate the minds of the global society youth here in Houston. Teachers are very professional and very well trained. The support departments assist employees in every way possible.
food service
Team Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2018
I'm in at 6;30 am and out by 4;00pm, I make sure all meals are ready by helping my employees with there duties. I run the snack bar so that the lines would move faster.
Pros
Being able to touch the minds of young people
Cons
to many off days in one year
bus driver
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
love dealing with customers. I really enjoy the interaction with people and find no problem answering even the most trivial questions. I get a deep sense of satisfaction when solving problems or helping customers out in one way or another.
Great job for a single parent
Clerk II/Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2018
Working for HISD afforded the opportunity to be present in my kids lives. I had a set schedule, home every evening, weekend, and holiday. The past was lacking but I had plenty free time to work a part-time job.
Pros
Free to be with kids
Cons
Poorly paid
No Comment
PROCURMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2018
The district is similar to any other organization. It all depends on what department you work for and the management team. I also do like be being forced to comment on my current company.
difficult
5th Grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
HISD has become a stressful place to work. It is my belief that too much importance is placed on state testing and not the whole child.
The areas that I have worked in are at risk areas, and I believe that you have to take into consideration the whole child (home and school life)
Pros
Reaching students that others may have given up on
Cons
Teaching to the test
The work is great but the pay isn't enough.
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
I love my current job but the salary isn't enough to maintain a home. I am fortunate enough to work at a beautiful new campus with a great team. I haven't always been this fortunate. My favorite part of the job is building relationships with students and actually helping them out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight