Houston Independent School District

Houston Independent School District Employee Reviews

United States1,200 reviews
Found 1,200 reviews matching the search
Both schools
I love working with children.
Co-workers were wonderful people to work with. Two of the principal's I worked with was wonderful they trusted there employees with making the students successful.
Some of the school leaders (principals) act like they're god.
HISD could be a good place to work however, bad administrators and insensitivity to diversity and culture makes it a terrible place to be. Some school principals act like god; they incite fear and uncertainty in the mind of new teachers who may be vulnerable to non-renewal of contract or termination at the end of the year.
Wonderful teachers without leadership
I have made great friends working here and have encountered amazing students. Management has caused the district to fail, unfortunately. I have worked here three years and every year gets progressively more difficult.
Great
It has been a great experience. I would recommend this job to anyone looking to get into education. They offer a lot of opportunities to grow in this field of work.
Very Busy and never the same thing twice
Working for HISD was challenging. In my first year as a 1st grade teacher I felt like I was always falling behind and there was never enough time to do everything I needed to get done.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Large urban district.
Diversity depends on the area of town you serve District is not the most competitive salary in the area but they have an abundance of openings at all times Challenging work but rewarding
Run
Run.. Do not apply here. The chain of command is corrupts. They falsify documents, treat teachers badly, and cheat on standardized testing. The entire district is trash.
Teaching Assistant
Respect to all. Less cliques and more team work. Everyone should be respected, not micromanaged, harassed, put in a hostile situation to have a reaction.
nope
Try a different district. If you looking to feel valued for you work. Compensated for your pay in this competitive field. do your research many schools are different however many a very micromanaged and dictatorship.
Educational place
Overall, it was a pleasure to work there.
Teaching young people was the best part of being there, and being an example for them.

Management was good as well. Like always, when the District has budget cuts, the first things to get cut are The Arts.
Houston ISD admin.
Campus principals are usually placed based on who they know within the district instead of their experience and proven results. This has created significant levels of incompetent administrators which contributed to the lack of effective instruction within each classroom. The school board has also created a great deal of turmoil within the district requiring the state to intervene.
Parents and students over employees.
I gave the district my best and at the end of the day, management were more worried about what someone would say versus the original intention of the employee who goes above and beyond. The district should give raises based on merit and evaluation but everyone gets paid the same. A driver who started today would make the same as a 10 year employee. So not fair!!!
Pros
Weekend and summertime off
Cons
Get every holiday but they are not paid
If you looking for excellent pay you are in the wrong profession. Education is about what you give back to the children and community.
My experience has been great. I am a single parent I made sure I put myself in position to be there for my children. I wanted to see my kids foundation of learning was placed correctly. HISD is not perfect but they are striving to do better every year however it takes a village to trained our children today. Meaning we need support from parents and community leaders to help move our future(children) in the right direction.
Pros
After school programs
Cons
Lack of male teachers, or male personnel in the school.
Good
I am skilled in Professional Learning, supervision, Project Management, Teaching and Engineering after Graduating in Mechanical Engineering, Masters in Business Administration and Project Management Professional (PMP)
HISD opportunity
Houston Independent School District is an urban district serving a large population of diverse students and families. There is opportunity for growth in the district, however the constant change in regards to programs and initiatives does have a negative affect on staffing.
A great way to always continue to learn and grow as a teacher .
This job has taught me about punctuality and to be great at being organized. There is always something to do and even though knowledge was taught on the position there is always continuous updates and different courses that will help make the position easier.
Organized
The Houston Independent School District is very organized and up to date on all aspects. The only drawback was the medical and dental plans. It is a wonderful district and I would highly recommend this district.
pack rat style workplace where bulyying is blooming
Nepotism is the name of the game. The staff is constantly belittled and only minorities (read black) have career opportunities, most of the times without any qualifications. There are great people who really care about the kids, but they are not taken into account by leadership. Worst work environment you only read about in books or see in telenovelas.
Traveling throughout the city you never get bored, the bad working on Saturdays
I enjoyed working at HISD as senior Electrician, management respected my profession and trusted my decisions and recommendations, I came to HISD with a five year plan and fortunately for myself all went as planned
Pros
Two weeks off for Christmas, one week for Thanksgiving, one week spring break, plus all other holidays
Cons
my department works every Saturday
Workplace
The teachers i worked with were cool and respected the kids. Not respected the kids but also helped the kids to higher heights of life. The school principle was cool and respected everyone and all teachers.
The work culture needs improvement
Overall it is a decent working environment however, there is so much inconsistency with Management The focus should be on production not being so political
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight