Houston Methodist Employee Reviews

Found 1,283 reviews matching the search See all 1,286 reviews
Wonderful organization
RN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2019
Houston Methodist Hospital has an amazing workplace culture and very friendly to employees. HMH does care for patients and great organizational belief systems to follow.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Great company to work for
Patient Sitter (PCA) Flex Pool (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
A typical day at work was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. mixed, adjustable, respect with each other
staffing My desire is to go back and work for Houston Methodist as a nurse full time.
Pros
Discount meals
Cons
Parking
Good Place to work
Registered Nurse - Nurse Education Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2019
This is a good place to work. They have an expectation of you and you must follow it - which it should be like that. The pay is good along with the benefits. The do a lot for their employees.
Cath Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2019
Houston Methodist is a great place to work; benefits are great compared to other institutions, and I have job security. I work in a procedural area so my hours spent at work vary depending on the need of the patients.
Houston Methodist is a great place to work it's very diverse
Public Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2019
The culture here is very diverse, I learned a lot about hospital security. A typical day here is assisting customers and visitors with their doctors appointment. etc
Working as a Food Service Assistant at Methodist really sucked.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2019
In all honesty, I did not spend a lot of time at Methodist, but the time that I did spend there was horrible. If you are a person that has anxiety you may want to think twice about working here. They are not very understanding of people who have anxiety. I don't know about other mental illnesses. The only thing was the pay and the benefits. So from what I noticed about the culture at Methodist is that there is a hierarchy system. The doctors are treated like gold while the food service workers are treated like grass. Food service managers do not do their job well. They also do not train you well. They didn't know how to control the level of bullying and mistreatment of new employees, so at the end of the day, you end of feeling like nothing. There was a lot of negative energy in that kitchen. Also, the employees that have been there longer will talk about you in all kinds of ways and even in front of your face because they know that the managers are not going to fire them. You also have to do a lot of sucking up or otherwise you would become the black sheep. Also, managers showed a lot of favoritism. Nobody in that is kitchen really your friend. Some people are nice though. Just do not tell anybody your business. If you too quiet than people still treat you like nothing. So you can't win or lose working as a food service worker at Methodist. I all honesty the food service part of Methodist is filled with of bunch of miserable people who in all honesty hate their jobs and are only there for the money. Even though the money was good, save your self the headache and just work  more... somewhere else. But if you can handle it go ahead and try your hand at being the best food service assistant at Methodist Hospital of Houston.  less
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
30 minute lunches, rude coworkers, incompetent mangers.
OB/GYN/Urogynecology
License Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2019
Methodist as a whole is fine but when you begin to breakdown the departments is when you begin to find problems. The urogynecology division is not organized at all. There’s a lot of laziness, the blame game, covering up for certain people, twisting of actual events, no support of staff, no/improper training, etc. Providers are even addressed on a first name basis.
Pros
N/a
Data Analyst
Application Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2019
At this institution, I functioned in a Provider Solutions Team as an Application Analyst II with the Epic team. Duties included

• Working on Epic projects for the Go-Lives
• Effective and efficient application of Epic systems at the ambulatory clinics.
The pettiness at work and lies
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, Tx KatyFebruary 9, 2019
The employees are friendly to a point some keep to themselves. Some find ways to get you fired or tell lies on each other to make them look good.. But they don't stand by there moto "ICARE" they are not honest.
Pros
Great environment and some great employees
Cons
Deceitful and dishonest
Caregiven place and family recognizing environment
Sterilize Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 6, 2019
you come to work, you clock in, start the job.
no supervisor is behind people. It is a peace of mind work place, with the employe bonus every six months.
Pros
Discount with employees barge
Cons
Two fifteen minutes breaks. 30 minutes lunch
Productive environment, difficult for career advancement
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2019
difficult for career advancement - in some areas but I love the culture and would enjoy working there. Everyone is nice, pay is great and benefits are wonderful
Cons
difficult for career advancement
Very nice place to work
Anesthesia Technician/ Labor and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Have been employed there since 2008, I have learned a lot and been very successful in my training.The company is fair and really adheres to the ICARE values each day, which makes it easy for us to carry the ICARE values out as well.
Need better internal hiring process
Senior Patient Affair Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Main CampusFebruary 4, 2019
I love working at Houston Methodist. The only con to working there is you have to know someone to advance in your career. Forty thousand dollars and 2 Degrees later with 14 years experience, I’m still get told I’m not ready. Not to supportive about career advancement UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE. Very unfortunate and disappointing for those that have worked really hard to advance in their career.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You have to know someone to get an interview
learn something new that we don't know before.
Food and Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXFebruary 2, 2019
My experience since I joined with this position, I learned a lot of thing about the patient diet, I can sharing the experience/information with patient or family member, I can built the friendship with other people from different department.
work place experience
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 31, 2019
I have been at my current workplace for 13 years. Over the years the company has grown drastically. The Physician I currently work with and have worked with the last 13 years will be retiring this year. I believe it's time for me to move on as well
Pros
quarterly bonus, flexible schedule, allow me to go to school, tuition reimbursement
Cons
management
Respectable company, but depends on the unit
RN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2019
This is coming from working on a medical-surgical floor. It is hard to want to stay working in this field. There are some days where you are so busy that you cannot take a proper lunch and you are staying overtime to chart (this is day shift), there are few days where it is more balanced and you are leaving on time. The call light system is noisy and is connected to your work phone, so any "high priority alarms" will go to all of the staff's phones if it is not answered immediately. You cannot possibly be in 2 places at once, neither can your PCA. Sometimes it is difficult to coordinate care when the different specialties of doctors involved in your patient's case do not speak to one another, and the attending doctor asks you, the RN, to call them. RNs are always the middle-man to connect all the pieces. Some patients are so complex that they have urology, cardiology, gynecology, neurology, oncology, and palliative care ALL on board at once. I am not exaggerating. And imagine having to coordinate care across all of those specialties while you are caring for 5, at times 6 patients. Also, orders sometimes get missed (because the previous unit/shift was also busy) and you are responsible for getting those done, STAT... so your phone never stops ringing. Communication between the doctors really needs work. Burn-out happens easily due to the patient loads and staffing ratios. Teamwork can be difficult on larger units. Leadership is very involved, however. There is undoubtedly much to learn and to take away when you are working in medical-surgical field, and that is priceless.
Pros
Awesome benefits, leadership involved, cutting-edge healthcare
Cons
lack of work/life balance if you are in hospital committees, staffing ratios for RNs and PCAs, poor communication between doctors, overwhelming patient loads, easy burn-out
Very Good Group To Work With
Construction Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2019
This is the best workplace and everyday I felt blessed to work there. Each day was challenging but very rewarding. The group of project managers were nice and not demanding. The management were also very supportive. The workplace was very focused on the patients. At times when there were many projects under construction the contractors would not provide the correct information on their invoices/pay apps which would make it challenging to identify which project the invoice was for. I had a wonderful co-worker to share the office and tasks with and I enjoyed working with her.
Pros
Commute on Metro to and from the hospital was compensated.
Cons
Clocking in and out.
Great Benefits / Bad Work Life Balance
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS SERVICES / PATIENT ACCESS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Worked numerous hours during the week to put out fires and attend pointless meetings. Then worked on the weekends to get real job done. The paycheck was good but not worth it due to the lack of work life balance.
Houston Methodist
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2019
I miss working for Houston Methodist. I was very happy, I have been looking for job down in south Texas for a year now but, no luck. I hope I will find job her in Valley.
Typical work day
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I'm a Patient Access Coordinator at night in the ER and I love my team. Everyone that I work with get along with each other. I have learned to manage my team. The culture with Houston Methodist is positive and uplifting. We have what we call the ICare Values and this is how we show care towards our patients and each other. The hardest part about my job is working nights being away from my daughter. I love working with my team, we get things done in a timely manner.
Pros
Benefits, HR support, Open door policy
Cons
Short lunches, Medical insurance co-insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houston Methodist. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Houston Methodist.

Powered by Comparably