Houston SPCA Employee Reviews

Hscpa
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
Typical day involved me letting dogs outside, cleaning their kennels and feeding them. I also would shift over and take care of the cats. I would let them out of there cages and clean the litter boxes and cages. I worked this job before I was married and had kids so I worked as many hours as I could. I worked there during the Hurricane Katrina and Rita. The work flow at that time was very hectic but fun.
Pros
I was able to go through donations, hand pick what I wanted to give each animal I was taking care of.
Cons
I did not like being involved with the animals that had to be euthanized.
Cattery Intern Experience
Cattery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2018
I undertook this internship for work experience during high school, so I can't comment on the actual employee experience. I enjoyed my time there and it was an experience I would recommend to anyone who has an interest in helping animals.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Distressing if you can't stand to see suffering
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2018
Im a volunteer in the cattery. I stop in when I'm in the area. One thing- I wish they are a little more communicative as to when the shelter is closed. I showed up once to be told they closed when this wasn't posted online and no email was sent out.
great
Barn staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2018
great work place nice people kind of hard to advance . very fast pace management was ok so was staff hours were good but hard to move up in the company plus no union
My review
barn team (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2017
I really enjoyed this job but it was Very stressful. To deal with all the animals that came in the conditions they came in was very hard to see. You definitely have to have a strong will.
Volunteer for experience
Kennel Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2017
I volunteered due to my love for animals and to gain vet assistant experience which is a career field I am interested in. The SPCA is an excellent environment to learn teamwork and how to care for animals.
Pros
Experience, co workers and animals
Cons
Only a volunteer position and sick animals
Love love
customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2017
This job was my favorite. Best experience working with the horses. Gaining their trust back after just a hard life they had. I learned a lot. Would love the job back
Pros
Best learning job
Cons
To far of a drive for me
hard but good work
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2017
I enjoyed my time working here. I feel there are certain special people for this job. I was a little sensitive towards certain things which made my time working here difficult after a while. I loved the animals though and really enjoyed the people I worked with.
Really good organization
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 11, 2016
I like the work we do -helping lots of animals. It's a job where I make a difference. The people are dedicated to helping animals - both employees and volunteers.
Pros
Love helping animals
Horrible place to work, high turnover rate!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2016
I thought this would be a great place to work considering the cause to help animals. WRONG! It is not, I have never, ever worked for such a crazy place with people who are unfriendly, and a CEO who is rude. This is not a team playing environment, you are pretty much on your own, no training. It;s all a big act in front of donors, volunteers and board members. I hated it here and do not recommend this awful working environment. And yes, they kill animals whether they are too young, skin disease, etc and all pitbulls...Heartbreaking...Stressful, unwelcoming environment.
Cons
There is an extremely high turnover rate for a reason
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
I worked here for a year and the management was awful They are bullies and pick on people they don't like regardless of the persons work ethic. They kill a lot of animals everyday that they deem "unadoptable", like young animals, lactating moms, and lots of others that could be saved. Don't work here
Worst place I ever worked for...
Donor Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2015
I thought SPCA = animal lovers = great people.... WRONG!!! From micro managing to disrespect to back stabbing, I saw and experienced it all! Lots of work, no appreciation. Old equipment. Horrible experience.
Pros
Cons
Micro managing, gossip, back stabbing...
A relaxing place to be at
Light the Night, volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2015
* every job at the SPCA is different, working with the large dogs is typically just walking dogs but when a potential adopter comes in, you become an assistant buyer hoping a dog finds it's forever home

* hardest part is knowing that some animals have been treated badly prior to coming into the animal shelter

* best part is watching a pet get adopted knowing it has found its family
Great job except for angry customers
client care (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2014
Work was always great working with the animals but, if you worked in admissions and call center you'll see how angry people can get. I hated admissions so much people just didn't understand that if you didn't have an appointment to "drop off A dog" you couldn't leave it there. And yes! even if it still is a shelter It is considered abandonment my every day thought was if your not going to do the right thing and say well I'm just going to leave it in the street don't pick it up or call YOUR local animal control to pick it up that's why they are funded by the government HOUSTON SPCA is nonprofit so they go based by donations so don't get angry at the workers because they say no trust me it is not because we don't want to but because we are limited to the space we have since we do not euthanize for time or space so please at least call before you come and get angry at the staff. And that is why I hated that part of the job I'm a very kind person that just didn't want to go bitter by all the rude people, retail is no were near as bad as the customers their.
Pros
playing with pups.
Cons
rude customers daily.
Non profit animal shelter
Animal Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2014
At the HSPCA we took in animals that needed care. I maintained their cages and the atmosphear was great for the most part.
A very nice company to work for.
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2013
The Houston SPCA is a wonderful establishment with a great goal of helping animals find homes.
A typical workday included approving numerous persons for animal adoptions.
I learned the ins and outs of switchboard operating.
Co-workers were all very nice and animal lovers.
The hardest part of the job, was seeing some of the animals that couldn't be helped or adopted come in.
Pros
Very friendly invironment.
Cons
Becoming close to some of the animals.
Fun and intresting
Client Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2013
I would always get to work 15 minutes early to prepare my work station. I would be ready to get started. My manager was disliked by all my coworkers. There was no challenge I could not succeed in. The most enjoyable part was being able to work for a team that all had goals in working for the Houston SPCA.
Pros
monthly meetings with free cake.
Cons
days off
Getting animals adopted
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2012
The HSPCA is a great place to volunteer because you get to use your communication skills up. The best thing about volunteering there is being able to get a kitten or cat adopted out.