Houzz Employee Reviews

Fractured Trust
Account Executive II (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 28, 2019
If you're considering going to work for Houzz, go in with your eyes WIDE open, and get as much unbiased input as you can, learn as much about Houzz as you can, before you choose Houzz over some other offer.

A typical day was that of any go-go-go telemarketing call center, gongs and all. Outbound calling to cold and only-slightly-less-than-cold leads. The leads were very old, and were worked, and reworked, and reworked some more - lead procurement and lead management was endlessly questionable (a lead retired one day would be in your basket the next day, or the person that told you to "drop dead" last week is a "hot lead" in your inbox, requesting ad rates today - of course, it never panned out).

I learned to adapt, because everything was always changing, to put it simply. New and superseding compensation agreements were sent to me, regularly. I lost track of how many I signed. A different shift than what I was hired for was forced on me, after a few months. I had a new manager and team about every quarter, and cubicle moves were a regular thing, about every two months, it seemed. Turnover is constant, abrupt quits and fires.

Management are former phone reps themselves, having done it for a year or so, and are now 'team leads', more appropriately. They're expected to hustle the reps, to keep the dials up. Rarely do they have to do the sort of things that managers do, and that's for the best - they often make the errors that bad managers make.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of transparency and professionalism, the lack of managerial quality and accountability,
  more... and the sometimes petty behavior. The workplace culture that's promised is one of inclusion, personal and career development, "We Are Family", etc, etc. It was, in fact, a telemarketing job with absurd goals, bundled with very bad leads, packaged as a career opportunity with a growing company. That's not so bad, but taken together with the 'management' that either don't know, or tell you that you don't need to know (seriously), the fratty work conditions, and an ambivalence from the upper management about what they're (purportedly) managing made this a disappointing, disillusioning stop on my career path. Evaluate Houzz with a critical eye. Tune out the marketing, and look for the real. Then choose.

The most enjoyable part of the job was closing a sale with a business owner, and getting them underway with their program; feeling their excitement with them.
Pros
Free meals, relaxed dress code, nice office, central location.
Cons
Many of the important things.
Not Recommended
Trade Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 30, 2019
I worked at Houzz for a year and a half. In that time I had two job titles. My first title was "Account Manager Client Success, level 1". I was in this role for 6 months. The week before Christmas in 2017 all the level 1's were called into a meeting. We were told that as of January 1st 2018 our job would no longer be available. They had a new role for us to assume in a completely different area of the company that they were newly creating called "Trade Account Managers." We had the option to move into that role, interview for a sales role, or leave the company. They encouraged us that taking a leap of faith in the company by joining a new department is the "fast track" to management within the company and looks really good to the higher ups. I decided to leap because I was hoping to move up in the company.On our very first day of training, 10 of us sat in the training room expecting a rundown of what our new job would be. Instead, our new manager greeted us with a question: "what do you guys think the Trade role should be?" We spent the next two weeks of "training" laying the foundation for the role (ex: writing call scripts, figuring out email templates, etc.). After two months of zero organization and having to pretend like we knew what we were doing, Houzz started mass hiring for the role. Suddenly the 10 of us were training 3 people a day for weeks on end. After they had hired a bunch more people, they brought the original 10 of us in a room and told us we would all be level 1's and the people we were training would be levels 2-4, even though we were the ones that essentially  more... defined the role and trained the rest of the people how to do the role. In just 6 months, the role grew from 10 people in one office to 150 people in 3 offices across the country. Eleven short months later, we all came into the office to see a mandator meeting had been added to our calendars. In that meeting, we were told that they had "over hired" for the role and instead of needing 150 people in 3 offices, they only needed 26 people in 2 offices. They told us they would be holding interviews for everyone that wanted to reapply for their job, including the original 10 people that defined the role and busted their butts to train everyone else. This was my second layoff in less than a year with a company that asked me to put my faith in them and they would put me on the fast track to management. I couldn't keep my dignity and reinterview to keep a job at a company that threw away incredibly valuable employees while still throwing lavish parties, lunches and vacations for other employees.  less
Pros
Free breakfasts and lunches, got to wear work out clothes on Wednesdays
Cons
Read above
Account Manager at Houzz
Marketplace Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 14, 2019
The role was eliminated in the most recent round of layoffs. The role was pretty straight forward, it wasn't smart to lay everyone off though. Not much else to say.
Lack of Communication
Trade Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 11, 2018
Weak Leadership / Lack of communication
There wasn't a strong sense of direction and manager that I reported too didn't give any constructive feedback if at all any. Was always in meetings, lack of training or motivation from his side. Very absent as a mentor or manager.
It's like high school, but with cublicles
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 26, 2018
Let us just start with a few points: the jobs you will do are not hard, you won't really be challenged, and when you're done you'll leave and go to happy hour with some of your coworkers because you are all basking in the misery of working 40 hours a week (no more and no less) for a low orange county salary that doesn't allow you to pay full price for anything

PROS:
- The people: Houzz hires with the intent to be exclusive. They want to be the jocks and the cheerleaders and for the most part everybody there is between 23-31 years old. And just like high school, your cliques are formed so you get to pick your friends and make some pretty good ones that you'll keep once you all get fed up and leave.
- Food: You get a stock kitchen of chips, coffee, bread, eggs, cheese, protein bars, tea, flavored water, AND catered lunch on Fridays and breakfast on Mondays. This way, you and your clique can spend 45-60 minutes each morning eating free toast before doing your job.
Benefits: You get great Medical, vision and dental benefits. Probably because they know you can't afford to see a doctor otherwise. The CEO once said she gets the same benefits because it's "what she believes in," so take that as you will.

CONS:
- Management: It's a running joke that almost every single manager within Houzz stumbled into a room one day to get chosen to be "THE DIRECTOR" or "THE MANAGER" of any given department. What gives a few 25 year olds the experience to lead a bunch of other 20 something year olds? Nothing, except the fact that they probably have blonde hair and a nice smile. What are
  more... these managers good at? Nothing, except flicking their hair and smiling and giving you little to no help in a very soothing voice.

- Compensation: This isn't worth spending time on. They pay you a dirt minimum HOURLY salary. That means you still have to put in a time card every single day. Want a promotion? Cool! You're not getting paid more. Oh, and annual raises? Never heard of 'em.

- Schedule: Some departments have mandatory hours, while others have the liberty to come at their leisure. It really sets up for some disgruntled employees since only certain departments get special treatment. But, don't worry, everybody MUST stay for a full 8 hours. Finished early? Cool, you get to eat the free food until your 8 hours are up. Not done yet? Go home, you can finish tomorrow because you're definitely not getting paid overtime.

- Growth: Each team has no room for growth because the chosen incompetent managers have been there for years and will stay because they are getting paid 50%-80% more than everyone else. Here's to hoping one of them gets pregnant or quits! And then maybe you'll be considered to get interviewed internally 4 more times to maybe take their place! May the odds be ever in your favor!

Layoffs: Houzz had 3 different rounds of layoffs between Q4 of 2017 and Q4 of 2018. What does that tell us? Leadership has no real business strategy, they eliminate and rehire because they're focused on short term solutions to long terms problems.

Work: Let's face it, I worked full-time but only half of my time there was spent working. It's just like high school. You show up, you do your work, but you're talking to your friends and hanging out most of the time. I'm not kidding when I say people spend an hour getting toast each morning. Then an hour at lunch. Then you go on a 30 minute walk, or two, or four, depending on where your manager sits in relation to you. It's all fun and games until someone notices though, if so you're chained to that 3x3 cubicle forever while you're friends get to play around half the day without you.

While that might sound appealing to some, the truth of the matter is the work is not challenging and when you do try to make improvements or go above and beyond - nobody cares. You won't be recognized for trying to actually do something unlike everybody else. You will not be promoted. You will not be compensated. Sit down, look at your computer and enjoy the poorly brewed Stumptown coffee and you'll collect your pathetic paycheck like everybody else with hardly any transferable skills for your future.
Great culture and people, but unexpected job lay off right before the holidays without any notice.
Trade Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 13, 2018
I was recruited from another company for a new position at Houzz. I was given specific goals and confirmed the salary average that was paid employees in this position prior to accepting the job. There were only a handful in this position when I was hired, and no one was hitting the salary as stated when hired. They changed our comp plans about 3 times since I was hired, and never once came close to what they told me I'd be paid and our goals were never met. After 6 months working at the position, our entire department was laid off without any notice and told that we could reapply for another similar position come the following Monday. There were roughly 80 people eliminated and only 26 of these new positions. I decided not to reapply since I didn't feel secure in the position and didn't trust their information for the new job since I was never paid what I was told. Evidentally there has been several other instances of lay off at this company, and you'd hope they would learn from the firs one.
Pros
company culture, fully stocked kitchen, work/life balance
Cons
no consistency in pay, unrealistic goals, no stability in the role/company
Productive and fun workplace
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 9, 2018
Houzz is a fun place to work. Employees are great and everyone gets their job done. There are catered lunches/dinners throughout the week and fun events that happen on Friday afternoons. The culture here is excellent. Birthdays are celebrated with your dessert of choice so you feel special on your day :)
Great career starter, opens a lot of doors
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 17, 2018
If you have incredibly thick skin and don't mind grinding out cold-calls, this is a great place to work. You have amazing coworkers, great offices, awesome benefits like a stocked kitchen and healthcare. The job itself isn't glamorous at all, you have to call 80+ people a day to set up appointments that they most likely won't show up to in order to make a sale and ensure that you aren't getting canned when the month ends. It's a very stressful job for reasons that aren't in your control, and it definitely bleeds into your life outside of work as you have to balance using PTO with getting guilted by managers for using it when you haven't hit your quota for the month.
Honest Review
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 5, 2018
I had been at Houzz for almost two years and used to thoroughly enjoy going to work. I used to give it my all and take on any task given to me, however over the past couple of months the environment became so toxic, it took a toll on me mentally and I just gave up.

Houzz has become such a gossip culture. You can overhear managers and HR talk about reps and meetings they’ve had, which I’m sure should be kept confidential.

From the beginning Houzz created an unhealthy and unnecessary divide between leadership and reps. When I was promoted, one of the first things I was told is that I could no longer be friends with the coworkers I became close with. It was strongly recommended that I delete any Houzz employees from my social media. That policy has since changed, but the divide has not.

In a leadership role, I was told numerous times to “lead by example,” yet the example set forth to me was that I could come in and leave whenever I wanted, and openly express that I was bored and didn’t want to do my job.

Shortly after I put in my resignation (due to another job opportunity), I learned that two managers took bets on when I would quit. I confided in my manager that I was unhappy with the job. So it is comforting to know that when I hated coming to work everyday, she and the other person turned my misery into a game.

I think one of the most frustrating things, however is when you voice concern, it is ignored until there is a poor review on here. They pride themselves on being proactive, yet are the most reactive company I have ever worked for. They wait until there
  more... are major “dumpster fires” before they make change.

It is easy to see why there is high turnover and such negative reviews from both consumers and employees.
Houzz Experience
Marketplace Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 3, 2018
Houzz is a great environment for a student right out of college who is looking to gain great experience in a tech environment. A great communicator can thrive in any of the positions.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays, Breakfast every Monday
Cons
Inexperienced managers
Love Houzz!
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2018
Ever since starting at Houzz, I’ve had nothing but glowing reviews for the company. We have great products on our site that customers around the nation flock to get. Not only that, the job culture is what makes Houzz what it is today. The people you meet and the opportunity it presents to you is amazing. I can’t say enough!
Pros
Great work/life balance, great benefits, team player oriented, great culture
Cons
Some of the HR policies are good but some need to be tweaked
Great culture
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2018
The atmosphere is great and the people are even better. They provide healthy snacks at no charge and free breakfast every Monday to go along with free lunch every Friday.

The people are even better all the way to the CEO.
Not what they made it out to be...
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 26, 2018
Not worth it. Sold dreams. Started out alrighty but later found out that there are no advancement opportunities for anyone other than the individuals who were there when the startup began near the end of 2016.
Pros
Free breakfast on Monday, free lunch on Friday
Cons
Management lacks leadership training and maturity, no advancement opportunities, unrealistic expectations for time it takes to master all the changes the company is undergoing.
Promising, up-and-coming, with room to grow
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 24, 2018
Houzz has successfully capitalized on a industry sector that has very little serious competition, and their future is very bright financially! However, the company has no review or raise structure, and no 401k or profit sharing plans. They do have trendy slogans like "we are family", but they fall short in their lack of serious application. Actions speak louder than slogans, and there is much room to grow in that respect.
Pros
Stocked break room. Monday Breakfast. Friday lunch.
Cons
No raises, No 401k. No profit sharing. Very little transparency.
Growing company , Declining employee Care
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 16, 2018
In the beginning Houzz was a wonderful place to work. Such a great environment, flexibility, great help from management , wonderful work mates etc.

Now.... Houzz has turned into a solely corporate company that has no employee value. In the Customer service realm... there is a huge issue with consistency. Not ONE manager works on the same policy or even knows what they are doing. Many managers lie to their employees or their superiors to save themselves when trouble arises or goes completely against policy if they take a small escalation and expect their reps to fix their problems.

They change constantly and have no plan for their employees. The work load in incredibly unfair and has continued to be even harder for any individual to have advancement in the company or financial compensation for the "unofficial but official " change in roles.

HR is completely unreliable and do not care if their is an issue and does not know policy either. There is a class distinction between different departments and that is not addressed.

In the tech crew does not help at all and has extreme prejudice against certain ones and will not help in the slightest when problems arise. In my case in 7 months.... when speaking to management about possible agendas of this crew, all that is explained or expressed is brushed aside and disregarded as it is and I quote "completely unethical to have that thought process and they dont have to like you or help"

Overall my initial experience with houzz was a good one and I have met some amazing people and good friends but as the company is growing
  more... they lost touch with all sense of human ability and kindness. It's very sad as this job was a perspective life time career path but I do not recommend working for Houzz in the slightest.  less
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Management ability and responsibility, work load too heavy, terrible compensation for work load, no help from superiors, high over trun in employees. Depressing environment
Horrible experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 12, 2018
Micro management
Prejudice
Horrible management
Lack of empathy for employees
Impossible task
Overload of work with not enough pay
HR is the worst
Only benefits free breakfast Monday and Free lunch on Friday which is repetitive
Doesn’t pay well but work load is demanding
Parking is horrible
Pros
Free breakfast on Monday and free lunch on Friday but it’s relatively the same stuff
Cons
Horrible management and a demanding work load micro management
Great company but not a lot of opportunity
Marketplace Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 23, 2018
I believe that a company should have three things. You must love your job, have opportunities for promotions, and get paid well. The only thing Houzz has is that I love job and team but I do not get paid well and do not have an opportunity to grow within the company. But again, I love the company, culture. people, and work-life balance.
Company culture at Houzz is second to none!
Lead Talent Aquisition (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 22, 2018
Great culture and wonderful people. Very fast paced, never dull and my position was very rewarding. The goals and quotas were intense but the compensation for overachieving was worth the long hours I worked.
Pros
Fully stocked, huge kitchen with healthy snacks and catered lunch every Friday.
Cons
As a recruiter you work all hours. Weekends, late nights and holidays.
Great work environment
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 17, 2018
The perks of the job (free food and company events) are a plus. This is a great job for anyone that is looking for a fun and forward thinking company.
Good Job
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 17, 2018
Good culture and a great first office job. I don't know if it's long term if you're looking for a career though. I was really surprised there are no raises no matter how long you stay in your role or how well you perform, and if you transfer to other roles, most are starting at around the same wage. There is also no 401k match but there are great health benefits.

All that said, the people/managers are great and the company is growing exponentially. I wish it was more of a long term fit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houzz. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Houzz.

Powered by Comparably