Houzz Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not what they made it out to be...
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 26, 2018
Not worth it. Sold dreams. Started out alrighty but later found out that there are no advancement opportunities for anyone other than the individuals who were there when the startup began near the end of 2016.
Pros
Free breakfast on Monday, free lunch on Friday
Cons
Management lacks leadership training and maturity, no advancement opportunities, unrealistic expectations for time it takes to master all the changes the company is undergoing.
Promising, up-and-coming, with room to grow
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 24, 2018
Houzz has successfully capitalized on a industry sector that has very little serious competition, and their future is very bright financially! However, the company has no review or raise structure, and no 401k or profit sharing plans. They do have trendy slogans like "we are family", but they fall short in their lack of serious application. Actions speak louder than slogans, and there is much room to grow in that respect.
Pros
Stocked break room. Monday Breakfast. Friday lunch.
Cons
No raises, No 401k. No profit sharing. Very little transparency.
Growing company , Declining employee Care
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 16, 2018
In the beginning Houzz was a wonderful place to work. Such a great environment, flexibility, great help from management , wonderful work mates etc.

Now.... Houzz has turned into a solely corporate company that has no employee value. In the Customer service realm... there is a huge issue with consistency. Not ONE manager works on the same policy or even knows what they are doing. Many managers lie to their employees or their superiors to save themselves when trouble arises or goes completely against policy if they take a small escalation and expect their reps to fix their problems.

They change constantly and have no plan for their employees. The work load in incredibly unfair and has continued to be even harder for any individual to have advancement in the company or financial compensation for the "unofficial but official " change in roles.

HR is completely unreliable and do not care if their is an issue and does not know policy either. There is a class distinction between different departments and that is not addressed.

In the tech crew does not help at all and has extreme prejudice against certain ones and will not help in the slightest when problems arise. In my case in 7 months.... when speaking to management about possible agendas of this crew, all that is explained or expressed is brushed aside and disregarded as it is and I quote "completely unethical to have that thought process and they dont have to like you or help"

Overall my initial experience with houzz was a good one and I have met some amazing people and good friends but as the company is growing
  more... they lost touch with all sense of human ability and kindness. It's very sad as this job was a perspective life time career path but I do not recommend working for Houzz in the slightest.  less
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Management ability and responsibility, work load too heavy, terrible compensation for work load, no help from superiors, high over trun in employees. Depressing environment
Great company but not a lot of opportunity
Marketplace Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 23, 2018
I believe that a company should have three things. You must love your job, have opportunities for promotions, and get paid well. The only thing Houzz has is that I love job and team but I do not get paid well and do not have an opportunity to grow within the company. But again, I love the company, culture. people, and work-life balance.
Company culture at Houzz is second to none!
Lead Talent Aquisition (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 22, 2018
Great culture and wonderful people. Very fast paced, never dull and my position was very rewarding. The goals and quotas were intense but the compensation for overachieving was worth the long hours I worked.
Pros
Fully stocked, huge kitchen with healthy snacks and catered lunch every Friday.
Cons
As a recruiter you work all hours. Weekends, late nights and holidays.
Great work environment
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 17, 2018
The perks of the job (free food and company events) are a plus. This is a great job for anyone that is looking for a fun and forward thinking company.
Good Job
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 17, 2018
Good culture and a great first office job. I don't know if it's long term if you're looking for a career though. I was really surprised there are no raises no matter how long you stay in your role or how well you perform, and if you transfer to other roles, most are starting at around the same wage. There is also no 401k match but there are great health benefits.

All that said, the people/managers are great and the company is growing exponentially. I wish it was more of a long term fit.
Houzz is a good place to work, short and simple.
Customer Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 13, 2018
Houzz is a good place to work, short and simple. They offer great benefits. We have free breakfasts on Mondays, free lunches on Fridays, and freebies on holidays and the best company gifts (I won a Go Pro at Christmas in a raffle).

There are 3 shifts for my role: 7:30-3, 8:30-5, and 9:30-6. You have a cubicle, but it's well lit, and you can decorate it and dress mostly how you want. We go for business casual, but you can have visible tattoos, piercings, and whatever color hair you'd like. The only parameter really is that you wear decent shoes and that you can't wear shorts.

It's a great job if you have a family and/or if you see yourself growing and thriving within an office environment.
Pros
Free lunch Friday, Free breakfast Monday
Cons
Typical call center job
Great, office space is open, modern and bright
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 23, 2018
The Marketplace is a great team of people that help each other to be successful. My manager is the best, I couldn't ask for more. As in most call centers it is a very fast pace and demanding. The hardest part of the job is moving through the email request as quickly as the company expects, the best part are the people I work with. The only reason I had to leave was to relocate.
Pros
catered Breakfast on Monday & Lunch on Friday
Cons
full bonuses are hare to achieve
Amateur Hour at Houzz
Employee (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 11, 2018
Where to begin...
-Work: The work that you're doing is fairly mundane and doesn't have too high of a learning curve. Therefore it does get tedious at times and when your suggestions for change and improvement don't get listened to, it makes the work more frustrating.
-Teamwork: Houzz needs to better integrate the goals of the teams across the company. It was extremely difficult and frustrating to try and reach our goals or do well in competitions when the other moving parts that a team is working with, doesn't have even closely related goals as well. This conflict does not help the company cover all the bases, but rather have teams running around in their own circles with different communication focuses and not able to drive towards the single goal.
-Compensation:Houzz is probably 80% women, which means I think they have a great platform to empower the women that work there and pay them fairly, if not more, for how much work they do, especially employees that go above and beyond consistently. What you get paid when you are hired is most likely going to be the pay for at least a year, year and half minimum with a possible $1-$1.5 increase. They don't negotiate
-Management: Imagine you walked out the front doors of college with your degree in one hand and an internship or two of experience under your belt, worked for a year at a full-time job, then wow! You're a manager! Would you trust yourself? Maybe, maybe not, but with a lot of the managers at Houzz, I felt like there was a struggle for direction and good leadership. Most of the managers aren't E-commerce veterans, therefore
  more... a lot of things are up in the air when you ask questions or bring suggestions. They're learning, but I still felt like they were more lost than I was at times.
-Growth/Career: In terms of upward growth, zero, they play with titles and tell you to be happy by being an assistant/associate something or other. There is some favoritism that goes into play with promotions. This adds to why the turnover is so bad and people usually leave after 1-2 years if not sooner.
Pros
Great team building exercise.
Cons
Decisions are ALL made by one person, zero leadership, no future and no opportunity to learn and grow as a professional.
Houzz: Revolving Door
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 17, 2018
Houzz sold us on the dream and brought many Account Executives on with high pay and promises of quick career advancement opportunities. A few months in they restructured pay without warning and we found no opportunities for advancement in the company.

If you want to follow a script, bang out cold calls, and constantly be under the guillotine; this is the job for you. I am very saddened by the 180 we experienced and not surprised by the mass departure of good people and quality sales people as a result.

No idea whats going on with zero transparency.
Its a scam
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 15, 2018
I loved Houzz, until everything that seemed transparent, wasn't. It is very hard for promotions and the goals are unattainable. Employee's aren't valued.
Pros
Breakfast on Monday's and lunch on Friday's
Cons
Poor transparency
Fun place to work, but changed pay out of nowhere
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 9, 2018
Call center atmosphere. I learned a lot about sales and creating urgency. Management was okay. They weren't very transparent on things going on in upper management. The culture was fun at first, and then they cared about the sales numbers more than their people. The hardest thing about the job was meeting the sales quota. The most enjoyable was the people around me.
Pros
Free breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays
Cons
Pay
The company's culture and environment are very good
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 4, 2018
The company's culture and environment are very good. Companies with high growth potential. But the expansion of the business area is no longer visible.
Great work place
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 18, 2018
I love working here. You are really valued as an employee. Work life balance is very important and it helps you to want to come to work. I have never worked anywhere like Houzz.
Great Company, Hard Job
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 17, 2018
Being on the phones all day is mentally exhausting, so it feels like I was checked out 7 months in. However, Houzz makes it easier by providing a great atmosphere and some great benefits. While the job wasn't right for me, I certainly don't regret my time there.
Pros
Great people, catering twice a week, great benefits
Cons
Fixed breaks and schedule, difficult work
Don't Trust Houzz
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 12, 2018
Although the job itself is what you would expect out of a typical account executive role, I would not recommend Houzz. Drastically cut compensation in sales department. Dropped base by 10k, and created cut throat sales goals in an industry that is hard to sell. Very high pressure to perform or you will quickly be put on a performance plan and eventually let go.
Houzz
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Houzz has great company culture, a load of in-house benefits and fun competitions but there is an overall lack of job security and competitive compensation.
Unstable
Account Executive Manager, Houzz (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 5, 2018
They are constantly reorganizing the company. Recently, they cut everyone's pay significantly, with only a months notice. Quotas and agendas are constantly changing.
Don't know where they are going
Sales (Former Employee) –  CAJanuary 4, 2018
Houzz has all the makings of a great company but lacks the structure and talent at the top to retain the right leadership to build strong and effective teams. They are making decisions in a vacuum just to save a few pennies. Seems like a start up but doesn't really a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Houzz. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

77out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Houzz.

Powered by Comparably