Howard Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Supportive
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 31, 2018
I found the Howard Center to be a wonderful place to work. Plenty of opportunity for advancement, supportive and kind supervisors, and they make sure you are given plenty of information on the clients you’re working with.
Pros
Supportive and educational
Cons
A lot of driving around
Fun to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 18, 2018
I worked through Howard but I was a homecaregiver It was really great. I really loved working their. I took care of the client and I helped the client on bathing and dressing and other stuff.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Time schedule
Stressful work environment
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 8, 2018
Howard Center is a great place to glean skill (i.e. intern) in the short term, however the management is top-down and athoritarian. You are constantly reminded of your poor work performance without help or training, and the never ending need to bill for services. There is very little training other than the mandatory safety training. You will never be "good enough" unless you are friends with the boss. There is high turnover due to this, not to mention the low low pay rate. Top management has no vision and keeps doing things they way they always have and it doesn't work. There is no accountability for top management or chance for feedback. They are demoralizing to the staff. Middle managers try, but they are met with the same devaluation if they don't do what they are told. Change is not valued. Sad really, that this is how they treat those who care for our most vulnerable.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Top down/athoritarian management, low pay, no advancement.
medical records
Electronic Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 20, 2018
Working in the electronic medical records department was very enjoyable to me. My coworkers were always very helpful in any situation. I learned how the upcoming culture of health information specialist can improve the privacy of patients, and how to handle the responsibility of my job. I love working in health care & hlping patients in any way possible.
Pros
learned alot about medical records
Cons
My job was tempory
A great service to the community, but disorganized
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 18, 2018
This job is rewarding as it provides the opportunity to work directly with clients in both community and residential settings. While this is not an awake-overnight position, it does require you to be on call during the hours of 9pm-8am, seven nights per week (including holidays). Compensation could be more. This position is contracted and not benefits eligible.
Largest in the state of VT
Behavioral Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 4, 2018
Their intentions are good. They unfortunately are in over their heads and it would be nice to Ser them hire people who had a bachelor's or higher. I believe it would set the standards where they should be to meet the needs of the clients.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Lack of Communication
Stressful
Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  VTMarch 16, 2018
Workers should be compensated more for their very hard work. Part of this has to do with the nature of the mental health field but also has to do with poor management. The cost of living in Burlington was too high for what was offered here and the high turnover rate speaks to this. Workers are often expected to multitask beyond what is humanly possible to do in a day. This eats away at employee morale overtime..
Pros
Rewarding Job in Mental Health Field
Cons
Low compensation for stressful work
Not much to say
Contract Services Director (Current Employee) –  Sac City, IAMarch 5, 2018
Old school, negative environment. Not much positive feedback. Confusion of who is actually in charge. Redundant forms, management not willing to cut down redundant paperwork-"we've always done it that way". Not friendly environment. Took 6 months to even be able to converse.
Pros
Fairly steady hours/independence. Caring Executive Director
Cons
Staff attitude
Flexible and collaborative
Living Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 17, 2018
The Howard Center cares deeply for it's employees as well as the diverse population that they provide services for. The pay is higher for social work positions than typically seen elsewhere. The benefits are generous as well.
Good Work!
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoy what I do, but deserve to be paid far more than I am currently making. I like my coworkers but we are all so busy with huge caseloads of 50 or more.
Loved the clients, but management was a mess
Direct Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 27, 2017
I absolutely loved what I did at the Howard center but the management was a disaster. From being told one thing and then arriving to do it, and then they tell you “oh I forgot” or have some excuse as to how they messed up. The communication was horrible. It took my supervisor days to respond to me. He was super unprofessional. And I had several issues with him and ended up going to HR, after an on going battle to have HR to even get back to me (several phone calls, emails, etc) I advised him that I did not enjoy working with him and why I was going to HR to get things figured out, he retaliated and fired me for taking APPROVED time off due to medical reasons. Well, in the state of Vermont that is acceptable because it’s an “at will” state. So, be sure that even when you get approved time off, to make sure you’re in good terms first.
Pros
Clients, rewarding
Cons
Management, poor communication, supervision had no idea what they were doing
Okay, should pay more
Behavioral Interventionist and Clinician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 29, 2017
They do the best they can with the funding they get from the state, but honestly everyone in this type of work deserves to be paid more. Paid sick time is a plus. Good managers. Good coworkers. :)
productive
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 10, 2017
if you are a worker that is willing to go the distance then the howard center is right for you. you will be bringing clients out to do there daily dutties.
Pros
the staff and work enviroment
Cons
the office
Not what I was looking for.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 4, 2017
It was a bit stressful at Howard Center because management changed a couple of times. Working in substance abuse was informative however not something this writer wanted to do for a career.
Pros
Working with clients
Go somewhere else
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 31, 2017
There are no checks and balances at this agency. Most of the workers are miserable--just look around if you are in for an interview. The pay is too low to live in Burlington in most non management positions. There are other agencies in the area that are smaller and care more for their employees well being.
Busy environment and a great leader in community support.
Health Information Specialist-Medical (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 20, 2017
I have learned many administrative and people skills throughout my years. I have worked with an wide array of staff and clients and in assisting others have learned more myself. The agency is always busy and it can be a challenge to stay on top of work, but I have learned to be efficient and thoughtful in everything I do.
Excellent Place to work and most of all they help as many people in trouble as they can handle
Sr., Field and in House Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 7, 2017
My rating is a 10 of the Howard Center, I was there 8.25 years and just felt I needed a change.

They are in the Mental Health industry and this Is so needed in Vermont to help people who are homeless, domestic issues or worse.

Cannot say enough about a company that cares.
Pros
45 locations in Burlington alone
Cons
Staff Turn over.
Great place to help the community and work with friendly people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 26, 2017
Staff at Howard Center tend to be very friendly people whose passion for helping the community is also evident in how kind they are to one another.

Maybe because everyone is so kind supervision and professional development are lacking. It seems like people are afraid to offer constructive criticism because they are afraid of hurting feelings. Wish it was a culture of more direct feedback. Salaries are below average, even for a non-profit organization--but there are good benefits, including discounts at several local businesses. And these other benefits can be the equalizer for the low pay.
Excellent pay than any other human services agencies
Intensive Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 19, 2017
Good communication. Not much to say. Seems like a good agency to work with. I wish they could have provided the tuition reimbursement package.
Pros
Good pay
Excellent Job Culture
PRC (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 7, 2015
I have worked for Howard Center for little over 12 years. The clients and people I work with are just amazing people that have taught me so much. The benefits are great too. The nature of the work is such that the job can be dangerous at times, but is nevertheless rewarding. The only "bad" about this agency is that there are not many advancement opportunities for people or to switch from clinical to a more administrative role.
Pros
Great people, rewarding work, caring job culture and excellent benefits package.
Cons
Safety is at risk sometimes due to rare, but real, client violence.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight