Howard Community College Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Peer mentor/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044August 13, 2018
This is a great place to work, learn, and grow the people are very willing to help. The hardest part of the job for me was leaving every day. The environment is so family like that most of the time I didn't feel like I was at work.
Best experience yet as an adjunct
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 13, 2018
In the English and World Languages department of HCC, we adjuncts are appreciated and treated as equals. Schedules are steady, and the pay is competitive.
Pros
respect, flexibility in schedule, friendly coworkers
Cons
lack of full time possibilities
Good for part time students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 6, 2018
I was a tutor at the Learning Assistant Center tutoring both Math and Science. The job was relaxing. Sometimes students would rather need you to help them with their homework then actually understand the material.
Overall it was a good experience.
Good place to work.
ESL Instructor/ESL Lab instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 29, 2018
It was a great place to work! Good experience, great colleagues, good atmosphere. I enjoyed flexible hours. My supervisor was the best! Overall, good experience.
fun workplace
IT Help Desk/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 28, 2018
its his is one of the better community colleges! Professors are fantastic! Staff is just as amazing! Students are even great! If you don't get along with most fellow students, it must be you.
Best nursing school in the country! New science building! A new bakery added back in 2012!
I recommend this school for anyone & everyone that wants an education with class' that make sense!
Great place !
Associate Director, Howard P.R.I.D.E (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 21, 2018
Amazing place to work! Great environment, wonderful people to work with. Thought leaders. Looks to create pathways to success for all students. Values staff.
Pros
ALL pros.
fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044June 19, 2018
Typical work day consisted of tutoring other students. Looking over essays. Explaining assignments to students using PowerPoint. Interacting with students
Pros
free food
Cons
short hours
just a few hours while I attended classes
English/Writing tutor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 29, 2018
This job just paid for my gas to and from work, and class. I worked for a semester with a big break in between so it was a split shift. I got no training and there were students with learning disabilities and they expected me to help them.
Pros
Could do my homework and study
Cons
not enough hours to make it worth my while, and they just keep on the tutors that have been there for years.
would have to love teaching.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 28, 2018
Not a job you would take for the money.
Would have to have another income source to get by.
Long hours reviewing classwork and preparing lessons.
Students expect online video help, 24 hour homework assistance.
Helpful senior coleague
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 24, 2018
A positive working environment. Senior colleagues are very helpful and academic staff are exposed to professional development series. i will highly recommend working at HCC.

Want to know more about Howard Community College?

Ask a question
Large program with a vision
Adjunct Instructor of English (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 11, 2018
The department attempts to set a continuum of services and to meet students' learning experiences.

Teams are established so that content specialists can share ideas.

Opportunities for mentorship and review of practices are available.
Nice Place
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 9, 2018
I love working here because it is an easier relaxed work place and it is where i go to school. Also the people i work with are very nice and it is easier to ask for some time off if needed.
Pros
Close to school
Interesting work environment
Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 7, 2018
A typical day at work as a lab aide included setting up the student lab benches with the appropriate experiment materials. I learned how to set up a gel electrophoresis and also the steps that go into making them. I found it a very interesting semester.
It is a very nice place to work and their treat you like family
STUDENT ADMISSION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 4, 2018
My typical day at work is me helping new and returning student with enrolling for class, I learned about the various programs we have, what students need to do in order to get in the programs we have. It is a very good place to work at. The staffs are welcoming, there is no discrimination there. I don't any difficulties on the job and I enjoy meeting new and old student, I enjoy working independently and has a team, I also enjoy working on various project and department.
Good Benefits and Job Security
Senior Producer/Director (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 10, 2018
I do enjoy working for Howard Community College. Although I feel I am underpaid for my position, the benefits offered by the college are wonderful, including four weeks vacation in the first year.

One of the disadvantages of working here is that employees tend to stay there a long time, which has hindered my chances for advancement. But I like my boss and the stress level is very low.
Great place to work for w/a benefits package no one can top
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 8, 2018
The college is a great place to work for. It is focused on the students and community to improve the local area and lives of those living here. The majority of people there are great to work with.
Relaxing, work at your own pace kind of place
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 24, 2018
Overall work experience was good. As a peer leader, you helped students when they come in the lab, other than that, you help oversee the computer lab during or down time.
Howard Community College doesn't provide benefits to part-time employees
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 21, 2018
The workplace culture in the athletics department is very casual. The president has been at Howard Community College since 1999. The directors of the college are mostly women.
Rewarding place to work with supportive and engaging culture
Career Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 2, 2018
I love everything about working at Howard Community College. I find it extremely rewarding and satisfying to work with students and to know I play a role in their future success. I respect and enjoy working with my superiors. The environment is supportive and leadership seeks the opinions of all employees.
Pros
Culture, envirornment, students
Cons
Permanent, full-time positions are not readily available.
Great People
Network Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 16, 2018
Lack of benefits really plyed a role in my review. If I had been hired on a permanent basis, my review would reflect more favorably but it was only an internship as I went to school.
Pros
culture
Cons
lack of benefits