Howard County General Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not challenging
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 12, 2018
I only worked here for just under a year due to feeling I was not challenged enough or learning as much as I wanted to. So much emphasis was placed on the patient experience which is important but it was so extreme at times, it interfered with patient safety and nursing requirements.
Great People
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 2, 2018
I love the people that I have come across at the hospital. I learned to help others. I enjoyed working with my supervisors. I hope to learn more and increase my skills in the health field.
Nice beginner job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044June 24, 2018
Please disregard my comment about Healthcare Strategies on the review page. I didn't understand that I would also have the oppotunity to rate Howard County General Hospital (HCGH)

HCGH is a small hospital in Columbia, MD. It is a great place to begin a career. I work as a Utilization Review RN, but prior to that as a Case Manager. I review approximately 30 patients per day using MCG or Interrqual criteria to support medical necessity for the inpatient stay. I coordinate the Peer to Peer Review process with our Medical Directors, and communicate directly with commercial payor representatives. Daily, I collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team (doctors, physical therapists, dieticians, etc) to ensure patients get timely treatments to decrease delays in care, and ensure that patients are appropriately advanced to the next level of care.
Pros
collaboration
Cons
few opportunities for career advancement
One of the top community hospitals in the nation.
Cardiac Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 14, 2018
Excellent company to work for, great team of doctors and staff, I enjoyed the 29yrs I was employed there. The best part of my jobs was counter acting with the patients, seeing the smile on their faces when they arrive for their treatments. Knowing I was part of the process of their healing.

The Departments have been restructured since my employment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Howard County, MDJune 10, 2018
The position of Case Manager and UR Nurse at Howard County General has been restructured since my employment. I am not able to comment on current positions in these areas due to the above.
Pros
fast paced, educational
Cons
overlaping positions
Not worth it
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 2, 2018
I worked for Howard County General Hospital &Hated it. Management is all over the place. People Are constantly In&Out. Earlier shifts dont do their job and the next shift is expected to do it all. Other employees give so much attitude.
mostly a friendly place
Clinical Education Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044May 30, 2018
I enjoyed my position as a CEPM. but i need a change.
In this position i reported to the director of Education.
My work entails training of staff.

i learned a lot in this position.
My director was good to me.
Pros
free parking
Cons
short breaks if any
High standards of professionalism and care.Fast paced and stressful enviornment.
Medical subacute nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 18, 2018
The clinical mentors and training is the best recollection at my brief time at HCGH.
The hardest part of the job was continued pressure at taking on more work load (patients) and having enough time to administer medications...new adminssions ,medication reconcilliation and discharges.
Pros
Supportive mentorship
Cons
An intense workload
Friendly and professional environment
Staff RN, PACU (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21044May 11, 2018
I really enjoyed my excellent opportunity for employment at Howard County Hospital in Columbia MD. The atmosphere is very friendly and professional. I had many opportunities for education and advancing my career. The management was supportive of the nursing staff and listened to staff input.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
on call requirement
professional work environment
TELEPHONE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 5, 2018
Howard County General Hospital, a member of John Hopkins Medicine, is a very professional work environment. It provides various benefits to employees including health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, associate discount, 401K plan, etc.
HCGH was a good place to work. I worked in the Pastoral Department
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 4, 2018
HCGH was a very joyful place to work. I worked almost full time. I worked in the Pastoral Department with all the clergy.

I was the secretary who scheduled everything, ordered supplies, made up calendars for on call clergy for dying patients. If there was a code blue then all units had my calendar for who to call.

We had a small church which I kept all brochures stocked and made sure all was there when we had a service.

I attended meetings in the hospital for the pastor and put together some of the fund raisers and functions.
Pros
Very exciting was doing so many things, very busy. I liked helping people through times of grief
Cons
Not enough hours. I had to find another job when they cut more hours
PCTs Overworked/Unpaid
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 3, 2018
Overall, the PCTs are taken for granted. PCTs do all of the work for very little pay/recognition. Management bias to nurses. Alot of racial bias also.
Pros
3 day work weeks, Self scheduling, Set schedule, Pto
Cons
Poor management, Low Compensation, No breaks, Bias, No sick/vacation leave
one of my first full-time jobs
Senior Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Howard County MarylandMay 1, 2018
I had an opportunity to learn about hospital operations in this role, which improved my ability to communicate about it. After my manager left, I was given much more autonomy, however my then director did not recognize my ability until I had taken another position.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
taken over by larger health system
ok place to work
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 22, 2018
Management can and will be a problem in that they have a constant turnover and are only looking out for themselves at the expense of employees. No training and no support
work attitude
Certified Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 19, 2018
great place to work and chance to learn a lot and upgrade in any area of study. the staff are generally nice to each other and supportive.
managers are good and considerable
Personal satisfaction of helping patients by helping nurses
Administrative Assistant - Nursing Administration (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 18, 2018
HCGH is a nice community hospital that offers excellent care to the many different needs of the people in the surrounding community and afar. The staff are very caring and strive to put patient care first.
Great hospital to do nursing rotation at
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 2, 2018
This hospital was wonderful to student nurses. They were very welcoming and willing to teach. HCGH is quite large for a community hospital, and advanced compared to surrounding community hospitals.
Pros
Friendly staff.
Cons
Hard to gain employment at this establishment
very nice place to work
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2018
very good place to work. staff was good co workers were ok the pay was excellent. working with the patients was a pleasure meeting different people everyday was awesome
Pros
excellent work place
Wonderful Environment
Senior Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2018
As a small community hospital and part of a larger hospital system, the work environment was excellent, especially when you add the strong team environment and leadership.
Hospital
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 14, 2018
Hospital which is needed in the community, but stressful environment in the current state.

Good benefits, hours, and locale. More staff needed to accomplish the tasks at hand.