Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews

Great first job out of college
Program Assistant - Grants and Special Programs (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDMay 22, 2019
For 60 years, HHMI has been moving science forward. We’re an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases.
HHMI a great place to work , except in the Facilities Department.
Electrical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDMay 22, 2019
Your boss should be someone who you are able to talk with about an issue and is never too busy for you. It's great if you are lucky enough to have a boss who tries to mentor you and assist with your professional development. This was not my case
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible leadership
From Five Stars to Four
Instructor/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDMarch 7, 2019
HHMI is an amazing place to work. Regardless of your job or any of the politics that come with it. This is one of the few places it is an honor to be in and breathe the air. There is a lot of ego, perhaps rightfully so, they accomplish tremendous things here. The facilities are world class, the people are great. It was a five star employer when I started, some of changes and politics over the last several years have knocked it down a peg but it's still a shining example.
Pros
facilities, benefits, compensation
HHMI is a forward thinking organization with wonderful opportunites and management
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2018
HHMI was a great place to work. As it was in the research field in academia there were always great challenges and opportunities to learn. HHMI had excellent benefits and cared about the welfare of its employees.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
non renewal of PI would end position
Only employee friendly for PHDs
Research Technician I (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJune 27, 2018
Very biased towards academics and highly educated individuals. Institutionally dishonest, and a great deal of political backstabbing unfortunately, because the work is exciting and rewarding and the benefits are fantastic.
Pros
Benefits, great facility
Cons
Only supportive of the highly educated, no employee loyalty
Good network
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed the benefits of working for HHMI. I was an admin assistant and didn't see other options to advance so I eventually left the company to pursue my own business but I appreciate my time there and believe it's a solid company to work for.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
depends on where you want to go with it
Na
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 19, 2018
Good place to work while I was there. Ready for advancement but the structure does not allow for further career development or advancement. Good location.
Toxic
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 12, 2018
Constant worry about your position. HHMI constantly laying people off to find the “right” way to do business. Telling the employees its an experiment. The c level people have lost the understanding that these people your are experimenting with are not lab rats. And after doing this in a few years they then say lets try something else. For a world renowned institution they certianly are not holding there heads up high.
Hhmi
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2018
The research laboratory where I worked was a fast paced environment and I was a strong contributor with management advanced skills, needed by the laboratory and the challenges being faced. However, I was expected to stay in my box and not advance or become anything but a research administrator forever. I was looked down upon for wanting more in my career and my education. The lab people looked down on me as an administrative financial person, although I had gone to a better school than most of them did (an ivy league school). There is a culture and a pecking order at HHMI and in the laboratory that is not based on reality and is oppressive in my opinion. I am glad to not be there anymore. I do admire HHMIs commitment to science research and science education and I share that commitment. I disapprove of how the local HHMI office was run on campus and how I was treated.
Pros
Medically significant work, contributions to advancement of science
Cons
lack of professional opportunities for an administrator, not well paid
Fun
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMay 16, 2018
You work exceedingly hard if you are a staff member, or as a postdoc really. Not a lot of opportunity to advance really; its more of a stopping off point before you go on to the rest of your career.
Great program
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 20, 2018
This is a great program for those in high school who would like to get hands on experience in the lab before applying to college. It gave me a lot of core skills and research experience plus it was pretty well paid.
Nice place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2018
The working environment depends heavily on each specific investigator. For me, it was very pleasant, although work load is heavy, but the working atmosphere is pleasant.
Pros
Good benefit
Great organization
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMarch 16, 2018
Excellent place to work
You will work hard but the opportunities for growth and recognition are numerous
The main campus is an inspiring place to be
Well managed
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time working for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. I learned so much and my instructors were extremely helpful and really inspired me to enter the research filed.
A fabulous place to work; opportunities for advancement always available
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 11, 2018
I have worked for Howard Hughes Medical Institute for over 12 years. The Professor i currently work for is looking towards retirement and phasing out the lab in 2019. I have been made part time and I'm looking to fill that part time gap, with hopefully, something closer to home.

The workplace is a casual and pleasant environment. It is within the department of Biochemistry at Duke University. I truly enjoy being there and otherwise would not be seeking a new venture.
Pros
Tremendous benefits package, tremendous boss!
Cons
Commute, Cost of that commute and parking
Great place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
It is a great place to work. However, it is not located at any particular location. It required you moving to different labs at different medical school locations. Work culture could vary depending on who is running the laboratory.
Pros
Money is ample
Cons
It could be demanding
independent research environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 1, 2018
The campus is at a relatively isolated location. A typical day at work would involve meetings with colleagues and conduct experiments that are needed to answer your research questions. The culture is very open, people from various countries work together to tackle the most challenging questions that are unlikely to be concurred in other places. Overall, the scientific and financial support is top-notch. However, don't forget to get your work and life balanced out .
Research environment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
A typical day could quickly become fast paced. The laboratory consisted of 27 people, aside from the Professor. Various projects could be in progress at the same time - writing and reviewing scientific manuscripts for submission to various scientific journals. Deadlines for budgets, reports and personnel matters.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction derived from helping the lab personnel with various issues.
small location near home
Communication Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 14, 2017
I got all the clues wrong. I thought they would keep me because of my college degree, wrong. I am overly proud. I had not realized to that point that we are not equal but complementary. I had no idea what the management expected of me.
Entry level opportunity to build research skills and experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 6, 2017
I did a variety of basic science experiments in a group of other students, and under the supervision of a primary investigator PhD. I gained basic experience that helped me determine that at the time a career in research science was not for me. I had the opportunity to present my research experience in front of peers and other researchers. Positive experience overall.