Howard Hughes Medical Institute Employee Reviews

Only employee friendly for PHDs
Research Technician I (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJune 27, 2018
Very biased towards academics and highly educated individuals. Institutionally dishonest, and a great deal of political backstabbing unfortunately, because the work is exciting and rewarding and the benefits are fantastic.
Pros
Benefits, great facility
Cons
Only supportive of the highly educated, no employee loyalty
Good network
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed the benefits of working for HHMI. I was an admin assistant and didn't see other options to advance so I eventually left the company to pursue my own business but I appreciate my time there and believe it's a solid company to work for.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
depends on where you want to go with it
Na
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 19, 2018
Good place to work while I was there. Ready for advancement but the structure does not allow for further career development or advancement. Good location.
Toxic
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJune 12, 2018
Constant worry about your position. HHMI constantly laying people off to find the “right” way to do business. Telling the employees its an experiment. The c level people have lost the understanding that these people your are experimenting with are not lab rats. And after doing this in a few years they then say lets try something else. For a world renowned institution they certianly are not holding there heads up high.
Hhmi
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2018
The research laboratory where I worked was a fast paced environment and I was a strong contributor with management advanced skills, needed by the laboratory and the challenges being faced. However, I was expected to stay in my box and not advance or become anything but a research administrator forever. I was looked down upon for wanting more in my career and my education. The lab people looked down on me as an administrative financial person, although I had gone to a better school than most of them did (an ivy league school). There is a culture and a pecking order at HHMI and in the laboratory that is not based on reality and is oppressive in my opinion. I am glad to not be there anymore. I do admire HHMIs commitment to science research and science education and I share that commitment. I disapprove of how the local HHMI office was run on campus and how I was treated.
Pros
Medically significant work, contributions to advancement of science
Cons
lack of professional opportunities for an administrator, not well paid
Great program
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 20, 2018
This is a great program for those in high school who would like to get hands on experience in the lab before applying to college. It gave me a lot of core skills and research experience plus it was pretty well paid.
Nice place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2018
The working environment depends heavily on each specific investigator. For me, it was very pleasant, although work load is heavy, but the working atmosphere is pleasant.
Pros
Good benefit
Great organization
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMarch 16, 2018
Excellent place to work
You will work hard but the opportunities for growth and recognition are numerous
The main campus is an inspiring place to be
Well managed
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time working for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. I learned so much and my instructors were extremely helpful and really inspired me to enter the research filed.
A fabulous place to work; opportunities for advancement always available
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 11, 2018
I have worked for Howard Hughes Medical Institute for over 12 years. The Professor i currently work for is looking towards retirement and phasing out the lab in 2019. I have been made part time and I'm looking to fill that part time gap, with hopefully, something closer to home.

The workplace is a casual and pleasant environment. It is within the department of Biochemistry at Duke University. I truly enjoy being there and otherwise would not be seeking a new venture.
Pros
Tremendous benefits package, tremendous boss!
Cons
Commute, Cost of that commute and parking
Great place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
It is a great place to work. However, it is not located at any particular location. It required you moving to different labs at different medical school locations. Work culture could vary depending on who is running the laboratory.
Pros
Money is ample
Cons
It could be demanding
independent research environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 1, 2018
The campus is at a relatively isolated location. A typical day at work would involve meetings with colleagues and conduct experiments that are needed to answer your research questions. The culture is very open, people from various countries work together to tackle the most challenging questions that are unlikely to be concurred in other places. Overall, the scientific and financial support is top-notch. However, don't forget to get your work and life balanced out .
Research environment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
A typical day could quickly become fast paced. The laboratory consisted of 27 people, aside from the Professor. Various projects could be in progress at the same time - writing and reviewing scientific manuscripts for submission to various scientific journals. Deadlines for budgets, reports and personnel matters.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction derived from helping the lab personnel with various issues.
small location near home
Communication Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 14, 2017
I got all the clues wrong. I thought they would keep me because of my college degree, wrong. I am overly proud. I had not realized to that point that we are not equal but complementary. I had no idea what the management expected of me.
Entry level opportunity to build research skills and experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 6, 2017
I did a variety of basic science experiments in a group of other students, and under the supervision of a primary investigator PhD. I gained basic experience that helped me determine that at the time a career in research science was not for me. I had the opportunity to present my research experience in front of peers and other researchers. Positive experience overall.
Great benefits but admin staff are like scared rabbits - researchers wield all the power with no checks
ADMINISTRATIVE LAB COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 21, 2017
I appreciated all of the benefits however as administrative staff at HHMI we ran around in fear of researchers - who were often pre-eminent in their field. Rather than help resolve issues that arose with literally no communication from my new PI boss, Administrative supervisors only intervened to execute the will of the all-powerful investigator. While other institutions have put checks and balances in place my boss was able to "decline" to participate in a 30-day probationary period when issues arose due to literally no communication and insist that I be terminated immediately because it was "too stressful". Because there was no real cause (just an issue with extra food at an event he held no one attended) they paid me to quietly sneak off into the night. Other friends have worked for great investigators and been very happy but there is a reason the admin staff seems a bit terrified!
Pros
Great health and dental benefits - five weeks vacation
Cons
If the professor has issues with you then you are gotten rid of with no due process
A great workplace
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDNovember 17, 2017
Great workplace
Good people and the working environment is nice. People in HHMI are nice and lovely all round the clock. Great activities from all departments.
One of the largest private foundations in the United States with a mission of supporting biomedical advancement
Fixed Income Portfolio Manager/Credit (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDOctober 26, 2017
Howard Hughes Medical Institute is a private foundation committed to the advancement of primary biomedical research. Has a large laboratory in Virginia.
Great place to work but lacks great upper management
Sr. Analyst and Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDSeptember 30, 2017
Great place to work. Very laid back and relaxed. Lots of opportunities to learn. But the management looks clueless. Have no complaints about my team though.
Pros
Great place
Cons
President
Used to be a great company to work for. Now, not so much
Principal Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJuly 12, 2017
Worked in IT there for more than 10 years. Top-notch biomedical research organization. The IT dept. on the other hand, not what it used to be.

Good work/life balance. Great perks...
Pros
Cafeteria is top-notch.
Cons
Little to no room for advancement