Howard University Hospital Employee Reviews

An amazing teaching and learning University and Hospital
Serving as a Ophthalmic Technician (Current Employee) –  2041 Georgia Avenue NW Washington, DC 20060October 16, 2018
The culture speaks volume on its own. The diversity and the leadership is by far one of the best I've been able to be a part of. Howard University Hospital cares about their employees as well as each and every patient that walks through their doors. With a caring staff and management team in place to carry out Howard's Mission statement.
Pros
The ability to grow and be promoted from within.
Cons
Not enough employees.
Did not enjoy working there.
Medical Technologist in Clinical Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2019
Hard working environment. Problems with management styles. Not enough mentoring to allow for career development and advancement. Regular employees were friendly. Enjoyed continuing education seminars.
Work ethics is productive
Supervisor Ms. Akua, RN, MSN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2018
My typical work day schedule is fast pace, as I learned a lot at this teaching hospital from doctors. Work place culture was very good as majority of us came from diverse backgrounds as such learn to work well with each other. The hardest part is working short on the floor sometimes which can make the day tedious. The most enjoyable part is having pot lock monthly as well as w/ends. They also have a very good cultural tolerance for all religious worships as they provided the space for us to worship such as for Muslims on Fridays, we use the auditorium as they have a large population of health care workers, the chapel is open to all other Christian, Hindu, Buddhist faiths.
Pros
Cafeteria is A+
Cons
Parking lots is a challenge and safety outside the hospital area
Overall a good company with good people. They have issues--like all companies.
Confidential (Former Employee) –  DC, DCOctober 7, 2018
Definitely nice people/family environment. Decent benefits. You can take classes for free after a year. Managers do need training, and the company overall has room for improvement, but most companies do. Not the worse place to work. Pay is average. Some places pay more, so pay less.

If you work here it's usually not for the money. Most people like the family feel and helping undeserved populations. Many employees went to Howard University. Dedicated and passionate group of people.

Older building, which has some issues, but again, the people that work here don't come for the luxuries.
Pros
Tuition remission, overall benefits, family feel, average/fair pay
Cons
Weak managers, older facilities
learning institution
Phlebotomy Technician/ Processing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Howard University Hospital is enriched in culture for all employees. Great place to advance with remission for tuition
dental school medical school and nursing school.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
qualify for remission for tuition
Good benifits with free educational program.
Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2018
With team quality care. Union are supportive to met the staff demand.Management otherwise, will provide CEU updates to improve quality of patient care.In my work experience that I encountered in this hospital,my professional growth and development uphold my career of nursing.Therefore,I strongly recommend this facility.
Pros
Double pay on holiday work
Cons
Short breaks
managers
Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2018
Working here at HUH has been a wonderful experience I have learned a lot and just will like to grow and have a career however they hold you back no matter situation from what I've seen HUH is a stepping stone so don't get comfortable do your job get experience and find something better .
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
lack of communications too many chiefs
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2019
Teaching hospital with a lot to learn from. Fair workload.
Management needs restructuring.
Nurse salaries need to be increased.

The point system, whereby you are faulted for calling in sick or using your sick hours needs to be addressed.
Opportunity for growth and development abounds
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Howard University Hospital is staffed by an amazing assortment of individuals from diverse backgrounds who are dedicated to the advancement of its patients' health and wellbeing. Unfortunately, an extreme lack of organization, a lack of appropriate safety measures and internal reviews, and a fear of reporting seem to plague many of its work spaces.
Work Friendly Staff
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2018
Working at HUH was a great place to work until departmental management changed. It was a learning experience working directly with doctors and various laboratory departments. Staff in the department were great to work with.

Want to know more about Howard University Hospital?

Ask a question
A friendly environment to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2018
I have had several rotations at Howard hospital during the last year of school of pharmacy. It is friendly and competitive environment. I learned a lot from there.
a good place for a starter job
Medical Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2018
a great place to work to get experience under your belt, but be careful to not get too attached, it can get overwhelming if you don't have a balance and boundaries for your work life flow.
very productive
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
learned so much about dietary restrictions.
hardest part of job was keep up with the pace of change of diets for so many patients.Working with so many types of cultures was interesting to me,being from the south. I enjoyed the people thatworked for me. The only thing that i din't like was the union and how people played on the union so supervisors didn't have alot of say when it came to enforcing certain things
As an intern there were no monetary compensaton for my time there.
Health Information Management Clerk (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 28, 2018
The atmosphere was one of a team setting and all my encounters were very favorable ones. It was easy to learn the various levels as the staff was willing to guide and assist with what every was required for my training.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Would have been a great place for me if I was offered a job there
I am very satisfied with my Career and education at Howard University/Howard University Hospital
CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT/PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2018
A typical day at work was high energy, rewarding and self full filling, working with professional and cooperative and caring staff. Clients and others needs are often successfully met by a caring. efficient professional staff. The hardest part of my job was doing more, based on clients/patient needs. the lack of time and demands were sometimes hindered. I look forward to going to work everyday giving 110% to each patient/client that came with in my scope of work. I always looked forward to helping and making someone's day special, through the services that I provided;excellent customer service. I consistently received new information and learning how to apply best practice methods to improve patient/client relationships and services, and refreshing my own skills.
Pros
Enjoyed my career
Cons
Would like to have earn more income
Throw a little paint on it to cover up the madness
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2018
By far the most unprofessional place I have worked. I worked there for 4 years and had 5 different supervisors. Your superiors do not know your job or its description but make all the changes to your daily operations.
I actually loved working here.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 24, 2017
The work was rather stressful, sometimes the hours were long. However, I really enjoyed what I did here because I was responsible for actually saving lives from behind the scene. I got to work with people from all over the work; from many different ethic backgrounds and learn their culture. I purchased my first car and stepped out into the world during the time I worked here and Howard University Hospital afforded me those opportunities and I shall never forget it. I wish I had more support from my Supervisor but for the most part, I really did love working there. I was sad when it was time to leave.
Pros
Flexible Hours and Decent Pay
Cons
No security nor benefits
Lack of respect for employees and there Contribution
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Operating roomMarch 9, 2018
Has become a Toxic Environment under current Leadership. Support for John Q Employees is lacking. Salary is non competitive,Benefit cost have risen by 25% with .5% Wage increase in Lat 4 years
Pros
Howard university school benefit
Cons
Shift availability not avail so you can use benefit
Overall, it was a great experience.
Dialysis Therapist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 12, 2018
I received my initial training in dialysis at this facility. I was taken under a nurse's wing and shown most of what I've learned in the dialysis sector. I learned of the importance of teamwork, and trusting your peers. I learned of the importance of quickly communicating a patients change in status to my nurse. The workplace culture was positive. The hardest part of the job was getting to know patients, and them losing them. The most enjoyable was the sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Excellent nurses, top notch.
Cons
Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
Employed
Patient Access Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 18, 2018
Challenging at times. Too many chiefs no Indians. A lot of real workers that will attend to patients care. Then you have some that has been here too long and doesn't want to change. Lack of communications. And interesting personalities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Howard University Hospital Reviews by Location