Howard University Hospital Employee Reviews

Work Friendly Staff
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2018
Working at HUH was a great place to work until departmental management changed. It was a learning experience working directly with doctors and various laboratory departments. Staff in the department were great to work with.
An amazing teaching and learning University and Hospital
Serving as a Ophthalmic Technician (Current Employee) –  2041 Georgia Avenue NW Washington, DC 20060October 16, 2018
The culture speaks volume on its own. The diversity and the leadership is by far one of the best I've been able to be a part of. Howard University Hospital cares about their employees as well as each and every patient that walks through their doors. With a caring staff and management team in place to carry out Howard's Mission statement.
Pros
The ability to grow and be promoted from within.
Cons
Not enough employees.
Great experience
Clinical Volunteer, Ophthalmology (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
As a clinical volunteer I felt that I had a lot of hands on experience and the people who work there are very friendly and willing to help you learn. Great environment for learning
a good place for a starter job
Medical Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2018
a great place to work to get experience under your belt, but be careful to not get too attached, it can get overwhelming if you don't have a balance and boundaries for your work life flow.
Overall a good company with good people. They have issues--like all companies.
Confidential (Former Employee) –  DC, DCOctober 7, 2018
Definitely nice people/family environment. Decent benefits. You can take classes for free after a year. Managers do need training, and the company overall has room for improvement, but most companies do. Not the worse place to work. Pay is average. Some places pay more, so pay less.

If you work here it's usually not for the money. Most people like the family feel and helping undeserved populations. Many employees went to Howard University. Dedicated and passionate group of people.

Older building, which has some issues, but again, the people that work here don't come for the luxuries.
Pros
Tuition remission, overall benefits, family feel, average/fair pay
Cons
Weak managers, older facilities
Enjoyed going to work
Clerkship/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2018
I worked very closely with the medical students. I would have a set of medical students everything 8 weeks. Working with the many different personalities was the best part of my job. I helped to get them ready to move on to their next stepping stone in life
Pros
the different students
Cons
there wasn't any
I like it.
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2018
I review account and make changes when need be far as status. Review account with patient in person in reference to payment arrangements, billing and insurance questions. Refer accounts to our collections agency and our attorney.
Pros
Cafeteria on site.
Cons
No overtime.
Great team work
Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2018
Worked with a great team with a welcoming face every single day and friendly and helpful coworkers
all employees are nice and easy to work with
Fun and professional work place
Opportunity for growth and development abounds
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Howard University Hospital is staffed by an amazing assortment of individuals from diverse backgrounds who are dedicated to the advancement of its patients' health and wellbeing. Unfortunately, an extreme lack of organization, a lack of appropriate safety measures and internal reviews, and a fear of reporting seem to plague many of its work spaces.
learning institution
Phlebotomy Technician/ Processing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2018
Howard University Hospital is enriched in culture for all employees. Great place to advance with remission for tuition
dental school medical school and nursing school.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
qualify for remission for tuition
Hospital with many potentials but need to improve
Resident Physician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 7, 2018
The doctors at HUH including the international physicians are very good doctors. They do the best they can with the available resources. But the hospital is struggling with resources.
Pros
Free lunches
Excellent
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Howard was a wonderful place to work because I enjoy helping people it helped me get the experience of working in a doctors office setting which was basically a great and wonderful experience
good
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2018
Am thankful for the job i work at you just have a strong mind. Everybody don't get the same rules as other . Meaning some manger act like they afraid to ask certain worker to do some work.
Pros
free
Cons
short break
Good benifits with free educational program.
Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2018
With team quality care. Union are supportive to met the staff demand.Management otherwise, will provide CEU updates to improve quality of patient care.In my work experience that I encountered in this hospital,my professional growth and development uphold my career of nursing.Therefore,I strongly recommend this facility.
Pros
Double pay on holiday work
Cons
Short breaks
great learning experience and environement
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
great learning experience and environment
great teaching hospital
supportive staff and peers
great opportunity for additional educational exerperience
Pros
learning/teaching atmosphere
Cons
flexibility
fun workplace
Patient Access Associate I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2018
great coworkers, hard to advance. my supervisor is very comprehensive. i would love to stay at howard if it gave me a chance to grow. too many years and nothing to show for it.
very productive
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
learned so much about dietary restrictions.
hardest part of job was keep up with the pace of change of diets for so many patients.Working with so many types of cultures was interesting to me,being from the south. I enjoyed the people thatworked for me. The only thing that i din't like was the union and how people played on the union so supervisors didn't have alot of say when it came to enforcing certain things
Productive, educational and honest
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2018
Good place to work. Available training. Great support.. Training available, suggestions discussed, hardest part of job is receiving updated information
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Short breaks
overall
Admin (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2018
Great place to work under permanent employment. Never a promising opportunity if hired under contract. Employees are great though. Loved meeting patients.
daily workplace
CALL CENTER REP (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2018
It could've been a better working environment if the management was better and enforce on certain rules with better communication and a little bit more direction
Pros
the pay
Cons
unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about