Howard University Hospital Employee Reviews

What you learned
Critical Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2018
This institution had given me the best ICU experience. Working 12 hrs shift at night goes by smoothly in spite of being so busy, thanks to the Team work among staff.
productive with great patient care and amazing team members
Senior Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with professional and amazing team members thereby giving the patient's the most adequate care. thank you
Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2018
Observing, reporting, documenting and providing safety awareness.
Helping patients with turning, walking and everyday basic needs.
Taking vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, respiration and etc,)
Overall, it was a great experience.
Dialysis Therapist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 12, 2018
I received my initial training in dialysis at this facility. I was taken under a nurse's wing and shown most of what I've learned in the dialysis sector. I learned of the importance of teamwork, and trusting your peers. I learned of the importance of quickly communicating a patients change in status to my nurse. The workplace culture was positive. The hardest part of the job was getting to know patients, and them losing them. The most enjoyable was the sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Excellent nurses, top notch.
Cons
Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
I am very satisfied with my Career and education at Howard University/Howard University Hospital
CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT/PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2018
A typical day at work was high energy, rewarding and self full filling, working with professional and cooperative and caring staff. Clients and others needs are often successfully met by a caring. efficient professional staff. The hardest part of my job was doing more, based on clients/patient needs. the lack of time and demands were sometimes hindered. I look forward to going to work everyday giving 110% to each patient/client that came with in my scope of work. I always looked forward to helping and making someone's day special, through the services that I provided;excellent customer service. I consistently received new information and learning how to apply best practice methods to improve patient/client relationships and services, and refreshing my own skills.
Pros
Enjoyed my career
Cons
Would like to have earn more income
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2018
My work was Assistant Front Office Manager with a staff of 11 people. Again, do as your manager needs you to do because it is all job related. Work with the company needs.
Pros
Great Company
friendly, supportive staff.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2018
Due to unionization retention is a challenge because new recruits often do not stay due to the many years of seniority of current staff. New nurses often work almost all holidays, and are unable to have requested vacation approved due to seniority,
great environment to grow in
Clinical Informatics Analyst, Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 12, 2018
Loved the opportunity to conduct research. As a scientist I was given the ability to gain insight on grant writing, publishing, and grassroots participation with subjects.
Lead Patient Accounts Representative II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2018
my typical day at work is preparing myself to review the credit report to see why there's a credit and to resolve the credit. Making sure all net downs are done in a timely manner and all patient patient refunds are sent to the patients if it's a true refund. reviewing request from other insurance companies as far as refunds and if it's not pass timely to send the money back. focus on appeals to try and get the claim paid and making sure all claims get out the door in a timely manner. The hardest part of my job is trying to locate eob's, the enjoyable of my job is helping my peers and completing my daily task.
Pros
stability
Cons
not enough staff to do the work
Lack of respect for employees and there Contribution
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Operating roomMarch 9, 2018
Has become a Toxic Environment under current Leadership. Support for John Q Employees is lacking. Salary is non competitive,Benefit cost have risen by 25% with .5% Wage increase in Lat 4 years
Pros
Howard university school benefit
Cons
Shift availability not avail so you can use benefit
Work Place
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2018
Typical day at work triage patients, See what there cc is and then report to the dr

learned how to do luprons injections

Work culture was very bias

Hardest part of the job is know a patient is in pain

Most enjoyable part of the job is helping patients with their health
Ehhhh
Medical Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2018
I worked at Howard University Hospital 8 years. Although, I enjoyed it, working for them is very stressful. The management lacks patient and bring drama. Wouldn't suggest
Pros
Free education
Cons
bad management, short pay
Good place to work. Staff was helpful and friendly
RN OR Circulator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2018
A typical day at work would be to review the OR schedule and go to our assigned rooms. Supplies would be checked and opened for the first case of the day.
excellent benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2018
I enjoyed the staff and my manager. Just couldn't deal with the under-staffing at this hospital. The hospital does have excellent benefits and excellent pay. The tuition remission is the best if you are looking to go back to school or your children need to go to college...its all paid for except room and board and books but you can't beat that and your getting a HU degree
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
under staffed
A good place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
Howard University hospital is a good place to start as a nurse. It encourages nurses to work hard and encourages team work. Every member strives to collaborate with all team members to provide a patient centered care. A good place to work
Excellent work experience
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2018
Excellent work experience. High professional standards, Friendly staff. Challenging work. Good salary. Good location. Excellent cafeteria. Opportunity for advancement. Good benefits.
Pros
Excellent
Cons
Na
I enjoyed working at Howard
FACULTY PRACTICE PLAN (FPP) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2018
Better Physician citizenship is needed to keep the medical practices running well. Staff should be held accountable for their work or lack of work. Moving bad people around dose not help keep good staff.
Pros
excellent bemefits
Cons
more cohesive managment
You have to be multitalented.
Patient Access Associate I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
I register patients for the whole hospital so we are very busy until we go home in the evening. Verify each and every insurance card and information. Make sure you hdx it in Invisions.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
have to be on time.
Collaborative
Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2018
Great place to gain comfort in managing complex patients with limited resources. Although clinical services for pharmacists are not abundant, strides are being made to improve the culture at Howard University Hospital.
Greatttttr place to work you’ll love all the black excellence !
ER Secretary/volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2017
Yes Howard was a really nice environment I was actually just a volunteer through out my high school years this is what actually set my mind up that I indeed had to become a nurse, but not just any nurse a emergency room nurse!
Pros
Welcoming environment
Cons
Not enough qualified security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Howard University Hospital Reviews by Location