Howard University Employee Reviews

A very professional work place.
Senior Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
The University has made this office productive, with few employees. The job required several other functions during enrollment, and registration. Accounting,and debt management for the student accounts office.
Pros
Professional Leadership, at the time of my employment.
Cons
Low pay, small department.
Run!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2018
Unprofessional and doesn't pay well at all. Be prepared to be paid the lowest in your state. You will most likely not get promoted unless a friend promotes you.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Everything else!
Great institution of higher education.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 11, 2018
Great institution of higher education. I received optimal classroom and laboratory training as well as professional development. Thank you for your question.
A lot of work still needs to be done to improve impact on employees
Cash Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2018
Not so much of a good work/life balance. Management still needs a lot of work because of the many changes that have happened within the organization. I think management also needs to give their employees a voice; so they know what they need to do to maintain successful and loyal employees.
To optain a position in your organization that will utilize my experience and work ethics to your operation.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2018
While working at Howard University and by not attending the school I learned a lot just by working their. My grandfather and my mother also work at Howard and have been their for years this tells me and also let me know that Howard is a great place to work.
Pros
Job incentive
Cons
Verbal abuse
I love my job duties, such as typing reading speaking to staff visitors and students
Access Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2018
Always busy typing police reports. Learning new HiPAA Law
customer service. Management is great, culture mixed. Driving to work.
Parties award cermonies.
Graduate School
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2018
It was a good work environment supporting research collaboration. As a Graduate Assistant, I worked full time on research projects and aso taught several courses in Biology.
This was the best job to learn and build opportunity
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2018
Real good day reviewing emails making phone follow up on paper documents.
Research is very important for the science of human care.
Making sure all document are sent in a timely manner and returned.
Pros
Go to research conferences
Cons
Making unknown time lines
Nice place to work
Emergency Department Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2018
I liked my time at Howard University Hospital, Its a friendly environment, I learnt a lot, The people and staff were friendly , the pay was competitive,
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Very busy place to work. Enjoyed working with the students and helping them with there schedule. Responsible for administrative duties in a fast paced office.
Logged telephone messages and meeting minutes. Worked closely with the Assitant Dean of Communicarion.
Cons
Short break
Politics as usual
Post Award Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2018
Howard University is a prestigious university with bright students and employees. Currently, they are experiencing a shift in leadership as they are powering through the tough times that came from bad management, bad policies, old and outdated processes. A lot of favoritism goes on there so a Graduate degree helps a lot. Also, being in a frat or sorority helps big time as well.
Pros
403b contribution
Cons
Productive but sometimes slow.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2018
A typical day would be to conference with the professor before starting lab activities. Let him know the results of what you have done previously and what you plan on continuing. The workplace environment was very academic. The hardest part was when the results of an experiment did not yield what may have been desired and you have to start over. The most enjoyable part was yielding good results.
Pros
Help on site.
Cons
Bad results.
Diverse and Challenging
Agency Critical Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 13, 2018
Howard University represents a growing and diverse community within its organization. It strives to meet the demands of the people in the community. It provides for challenging workplace for its employees. It is located in the heart of Washington DC and has some of the best clinical staff in the city.
Pros
friendly place; historical
Cons
placement of patients
Relaxed Place to work
Academic Recorder (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 7, 2018
The workplace culture at Howard University is very relaxed. A typical day is busy interacting with current and prospective students a long with Administrative duties. There is no job training offered so you learn as you go. There are no raises or much growth within the company.
I enjoyed working at Howard but was totally shocked to be riffed.
Administrative Assistant I for (2) Offices (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
I was so surprised and hurt to be riffed by Howard University. I was not the only person to be let go. I do appreciate the severance because it did help.
Pros
Great supervisor
Cons
Being riffed
No very talented students. No scholarship money to attract talentd students
Area Coordinator for Classical Voice (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2018
Howard has a great reputation. But, the time has come to reevaluate how it as as HBCU can serve the present age. They believe that people should want to come to Howard because it's Howard. Nothing going on in the summer. We could use that time to grow our own students
Howard
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
Great place to get started, and great place to grow. I learned so much in so little time, but it was because of the daily pressure and work load. The management here can be better at times.
Pros
Environment to Learn
Cons
Micromanaging
productive
Student Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
Great company to work for, very organized, self pace environment, management was very helpful and understanding, enjoyed going out meeting new and potential clients
Productive opportunity for the next generation.
Assistant Provost/CIO Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
Howard University is a great institution that has been challenged to maintain a standard and consistency during transition. While they employ a number of accomplished individuals, operating as a team has been a challenge to collaborate for organizational success.
Pros
Amazing resource for building students and future leaders
Cons
Management challenged to address and build on a solid foundation
Unorganized due to current President of College
Lead Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Financial Aid OfficeAugust 13, 2018
Howard University would be a great place to work if the president and employees who make all the decisions really cared about the college rather than their own salaries.
Pros
Working with bright young students
Cons
Upper Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard University. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.0Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight