Howard University Employee Reviews

Diverse and Challenging
Agency Critical Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 13, 2018
Howard University represents a growing and diverse community within its organization. It strives to meet the demands of the people in the community. It provides for challenging workplace for its employees. It is located in the heart of Washington DC and has some of the best clinical staff in the city.
Pros
friendly place; historical
Cons
placement of patients
I enjoyed working at Howard but was totally shocked to be riffed.
Administrative Assistant I for (2) Offices (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
I was so surprised and hurt to be riffed by Howard University. I was not the only person to be let go. I do appreciate the severance because it did help.
Pros
Great supervisor
Cons
Being riffed
No very talented students. No scholarship money to attract talentd students
Area Coordinator for Classical Voice (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2018
Howard has a great reputation. But, the time has come to reevaluate how it as as HBCU can serve the present age. They believe that people should want to come to Howard because it's Howard. Nothing going on in the summer. We could use that time to grow our own students
Howard
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
Great place to get started, and great place to grow. I learned so much in so little time, but it was because of the daily pressure and work load. The management here can be better at times.
Pros
Environment to Learn
Cons
Micromanaging
productive
Student Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
Great company to work for, very organized, self pace environment, management was very helpful and understanding, enjoyed going out meeting new and potential clients
Productive opportunity for the next generation.
Assistant Provost/CIO Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
Howard University is a great institution that has been challenged to maintain a standard and consistency during transition. While they employ a number of accomplished individuals, operating as a team has been a challenge to collaborate for organizational success.
Pros
Amazing resource for building students and future leaders
Cons
Management challenged to address and build on a solid foundation
Unorganized due to current President of College
Lead Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Financial Aid OfficeAugust 13, 2018
Howard University would be a great place to work if the president and employees who make all the decisions really cared about the college rather than their own salaries.
Pros
Working with bright young students
Cons
Upper Management
Comfortable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
Howard University is a great place to work so far. I have a great Manager who understands the work life balance and genuinely wants his staff to grow and succeed. The only con is the pay!! I earn just $1 more and hour than the student workers!!!! I don't receive any of the benefits so......
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Low pay
Lecturer, Department of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2018
I taught at Howard University for over 10 years, I'm also an alumni, it was a great place to work, i enjoyed my colleges and being able to inspire young minds.
it was a great and positive work invoriment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2018
Working with a great team just doing what was required of me on a daily basis.The management team was truly amazing I am grateful of the privilege to work for such a great team. The hardest part of the job was just pleasing everyone.
Diverse Enviroment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2018
I enjoyed working at Howard and working in a family friendly environment. My Manager was very stern but accommodating and fair. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people from all walks of life from all over the globe. the hardest part about this job was having to leave.
Pros
Friendly and Fair Staff
Cons
No room for growth
Great for growth but there's more work to do
Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2018
The environment is great for growth, you're surrounded by people who are leading researchers / authors on minority issues. It's a very inspiring environment, but administration has to improve to truly make this place exceptional.
Not a good place to work
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2018
The days are usually stressful, they want you to do everything at once. I learned that they do not care about their hard working employees. Management is horrible, they need to take series of leadership training.
Good Place to Work
Budget Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
Howard was a good experience to learn the culture and processes of Higher Ed. The people are good and definitely easy to work with. After relocating to Virginia the commute has been a challenge in addition to the lack of further growth has contributed to my decision to move on.
Competitive place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
Competitive place
High learning curve
Constant change environment
Lots of people to work with from different departments
Large educational institution, so lots of work needed to be done
Indentured Servitude.
RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2018
To many, a job is simply showing up and receiving the paycheck; every now and then, actually helping someone with his/her problem may get done. But do not count on it.
Workplace Culture
ASALH Founder of Black History Month (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2018
The culture of the workplace is very down to business. The supervisor was always making sure each employee was doing work. The co-worker are very helpful.
Pros
Break At Anytime
Cons
Stay late
Workplace was always busy, sometimes overwhelming.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCMay 28, 2018
Most of the time at work, I start at 7:30. At the time that I was working at Howard University, it was always busy. I would get reports, answer to patient needs/calls, bringing them their medication, etc. I loved what I was doing, but the amount you had to do from the minute you walked in was sometimes overwhelming.
Pros
Good environment to work in and lots of teamwork.
Cons
Not enough staff and schedule times often don't conform with your own schedule.
Part-Time Employment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2018
I have been working at Howard part-time for nearly four years now, and I can say that I still enjoy it. I have worked on special programming during the summer and on the weekends throughout the year.
Hu
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2018
Easygoing position....was able to create my own schedule and they worked with me being that I was a student employee. It was a good experience to advance my skills in sciences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Howard University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.0Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight