Hub Group Employee Reviews

Hhuu
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 16, 2018
I really do not have anything to say about hub Group other than they not worth working for if you ask me you have to keep coming in asking for a truck
Sketchy, Unethical Management, does not hire based on merrit
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 8, 2018
I worked for Hub Group Highway Division Toledo for 6 months. At first it seemed like a great place to work and the hours were good but that was during the peak season. Once things slowed down it went down hill. They moved me departments claiming corporate downsizing had reduced the amount of space available in the department I was in so to continue working there I had to move. I moved under the verbal conditions that I would be transferred back once things picked back up. That never happened. I get a call from my Aerotek Rep asking me me if I knew any other people who wanted to work in the department I got moved from because they had a bunch of openings. That should have been a major red flag. The manager at i the department i got moved to got promoted and another manager to over. This manager said they heard good things and it was recommended I got hired in. A couple months later things slow down again and all a sudden I'm being told I not doing anything right and they were letting me go, no warning, no corrective action or anything and they even had me train my replacement! My co-workers were great it's just a shame a couple poor managers lying to and screwing over their employees ruin what a good workplace it could be. My recommendation, get your training, get your money and then GET OUT!!!
Pros
Company Activities, random free lunches, good co-workers
Cons
Lying Management, Sketchy practices lying to customers. Terrible Hours
Account Management Team Stretched Very Thin
Senior Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMay 9, 2018
Beautiful building with great views and very nice cafeteria. Management and key account team stretched out very thin with constant issues knee jerk reaction expectations. Team was great to work with, however, it felt that the work day was never done and when you did leave for the day the work continued to come in after hours and felt that you were never able to catch up and always working from behind.
Pros
Beautiful building and work place
Cons
Always working from behind, too many accounts per manager, unable to fully handle and cater to customers
family oriented
Truck Driver/ Trainer/ Yard Hostler (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAApril 24, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Hub Group Trucking. I appreciate how huge they are on safety. If I had an issue management addressed it promptly. I liked the equipment because it was comfortable and safe.
Pros
easy going company
Cons
n/a
Hub is a growing company developing its appeal to new employees
Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2018
Hub Group is an industry leader in the 3rd party Intermodal industry. They have begun to address their Company Culture to appeal to new and existing employees. They are continually trying to get the right blend of individuals in place to be on the forefront of their industry. I respect, and admire how the Company had evolved over the 15 years I was employed by them.
Average place to work
Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2018
Average place to work. The environment is good and I have learned additional leadership skills while working for the company. The hardest part of the job is the obstacles that arise in moving products via rail.
$10 per hour 0.21 per mile at 1100 miles a week
Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 9, 2018
Low pay. Slip seat intermodal company. Blue Cross Blue Shield run $123 a week if you walk into the Emergenci room it’s a $300 co pay
Drivers don’t get promoted. New hires take priority over old drivers - it’s cut throat. Don’t get friendly with co workers . Pay raises are $10 per hour but after 10 years you can top out at $ 14.83.
The 15 days of vacation is nice $200 per day ( 5 years of service. ) the Memphis yard slip seats.
Hotel card pays up to $ 125 per night
The owner operators tend to last about 90 days before they go broke
Company Drivers. Turn over rate is about 80%
Five years in and I still have to beg for loads
Pros
Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance for $140 a week / family
Cons
Low miles- $10 per hour- no layover no paid detention/ rail yard
Stressfull
Truck Driver Intermodal (Former Employee) –  McCook, ILApril 5, 2018
New management came in with new terminal screwed everything up. Hardest part of the job was dealing with poor equipment and very bad training. Most enjoyable part of the job was the commute to and from work.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
poor equipment long hours low pay
Great place to gain experience.
Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMarch 12, 2018
Hub Group Inc. is a great company to get your foot through the door, but that's about it. The company has gotten rid of many employees while working there and there tends to be a bias when the company evaluates candidates for promotions. Don't get me wrong, one will get the experience and opportunity needed to be successful in Transportation, but it would be a stretch to say Hub Group Inc, is a company where you have job security. It seems like every couple of months there is turnover.
Pros
Entry Level Experience, Strong Environment within Departments
Cons
Job Security, Departments are not treated equally
Fast Paced Environment
WEEKEND LOAD PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 14, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Hub Group. Alot of great people and fast paced exciting environement. Consistently busy and there is always work to do when dealing with load planning for drivers. There is alot of planning and replanning sometimes to execute ontime performance.
If you like consistent work flow and great management, hub group is a good choice.
Pros
vacation, pay & environment
Cons
weekend shift
Fast paced somewhat stressful
Equipment Optimization Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 13, 2018
Strong communication skills a must. Most days spent crafting and responding to a couple hundred emails and also receiving a dozen or so phone calls. Fairly young work force with higher than average turnover.
Poor management and terrible communication
Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 11, 2018
Was told when I was hired that I would only be working 10 hours per day but was routinely working 12-16 hours. Their trailer equipment has something wrong with it 90% of the time and sometimes take forever to respond to requests for assistance.
excellent place to work.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 6, 2018
You arrive at work and check with Dispatcher for daily assignment and do your job, there is no pressure and management is easy and relax with all aspect of this job. I learn all the in's and out's of railroads from pick-up to drop off. The hardest part about this job is learning or getting the information you need to do your job. they are so lay back that they do not have a class that really teaches you or give the information you need to get over the hump or lack of knowledge of railroad.
all aspect of this job was enjoyable.
Pros
free snacks every friday;great place to work.
Cons
no overtime, no monthly matching 401k, and vthet quickly lock you out of their system when you quit or get fire IE. i left 20, 000 points you can buy their merchandise with points.
Very large transactional transportation company.
AVP Sales (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Due to the size of the company, it was often difficult to progress a deal. Customer service was a challenge due to centralization. Good leverage in the marketplace due to size and scope.
Pros
Ability to work remotely.
Cons
At times, cumbersome and slow.
Great work enviroment
Highway Carrier Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 26, 2018
Great place to work. Laid back management style. Lunch and breaks were at the employee's discretion. The benefits were excellent and you really didn't to give much lead time when requesting time off.
I work out of Birmingham and love it.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 18, 2018
I can only speak about Birmingham terminal. I love it. I have never heard one drive out of Birmingham speak bad about the company. Everyone loves our terminal manager. You will hear drivers say we could use more money. It's a trade off, be home more, make a little less. Days are long. If you need someone to babysit you or hold your hand, go somewhere else. The DM's and terminal manager are overworked and can't babysit. Having said that, we can call the terminal manager 24/7 and he will ALWAYS respond. He really does want his drivers to be happy and goes out of his way for us. Sometimes I think he can be too kind with some. Benefits are much better that most large trucking companies and cost the drivers less than most. They will always repair anything on truck. The chassis at rail yards aren't always great, but they are the railroads. They have ALWAYS had me home when I need to be there. They never leave us sitting like most companies. If there is no load you bobtail or redhead. Since we are hourly and paid by the mile, we make the same either way. Even though we are hourly, we still get detention after 2 hours. We do have front facing camera which made me nervous at first. But you learn quickly that they use common sense. 99.9% of the time, you will never hear about any recording unless it's pretty bad. Also, we do not pay for anything out of pocket. No P.O. is needed, not even for hotel rooms. They even give the drivers a corporate MasterCard for hotel/motel, and daycab drivers get to stay in them every night. They also pay $50 layover pay when you spend the night out. One  more... of a few companies that the recruiter did not mislead.  less
Pros
Home time, benefits, management (at least in Birmingham)
Cons
Pay could be a little better, long days
Productive, fast-paced job environment with good people
Cost Analyst Dray Management (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 18, 2018
Hub Group was a great company to work for coming out of college. The people were great, the work was challenging, and there was room for growth. They did a good job of explaining the culture and history of the company. I also liked that you had the opportunity to sit with other people and departments to get a feel of what their typical day was like. It gave you a chance to see how everyone was connected through work.
Indianapolis Indiana HG
Intermodal Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2018
I’m a company driver. Do not believe the pay scale. You will not make 70,000.00 plus. The pay scale will add up to around 16 to 17 dollars an hour. And you will work mostly 12/14 hrs. Daily. You will set in the docks with a live load for hours, then be told to deliver to the rail yards in Chicago without a safe amount of HOS. The Fleet is old and wore out with constant break downs. The Indianapolis yard is a giant mud hole or covered with ice. Bring your tools because everyday is a struggle for a legal DOT trailer and be ready to repair rail yard chassises daily.
Pros
Daily home time
Cons
12/14 hrs. Railyards, Payscale
Fast-paced and dis-organized
Account Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 10, 2018
Full of mostly good people. A lot of upper management is dysfunctional and clueless about actual day to day operations. Too much of a political feel. Lower level management is great but the message gets lost up the chain.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Upper management
no! dont work there.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2018
this place is laughable the turn over rare is very high please dont waste your time,they will tell you that you annually pay is seventy thousands and it is not even close to the truth,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hub Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.