Hudson Guild Employee Reviews

Avoid this place
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2018
Poor, unfocused management that lacks vision and direction. Great staff that leave and are overworked without thought to their development or potential. Has the potential to be a great place to work, but its squandered by people who have been in positions for too long and who lack real professional experience and training in their areas of responsibility. Employees are blamed for not being able to do the work for which they receive little to no support in doing and often barriers are purposely created to undermine competent employees. If you're a serious professional, I'd recommend selecting a more professional work environment with an engaged Executive Director. The person tasked with running this place has little to no idea of what happens behind his back and doesn't seem particularly interested in knowing about it either.
Pros
large amounts of vacation
Cons
large amounts of vacation you can not use. Lack of structure, incompetent leadership.
Counter Productive Work Place
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
For a non-profit community center, its very political and condescending. Lots of finger pointing and easy termination practices for entry level, and lower management level employees. Employee insurance is about a step above the ObamaCare, however it is not accepted in many places(took 2 months to find a dentist in the network for an emergency procedure).
Hudson Guild
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
The enviorment is very friendly. Alot of diffrent people and kids are around. very challnging cause there many kids there and diffrent charecters. very loud
productive fun place to work
Maintenance/Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2018
Productive and fun place to work especially if you like working around seniors, and children. Nice and relaxed environment, and staff is easily to get along with.
Pros
Frede lunches
Cons
lunches taste nasty
Love The Children
Family Advocate, Admin Asst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2017
I love the children at The Hudson Guild they are the ones that make your day, Love helping families and children in need, That makes my job all worth it. The only thing is that sometimes you are s=asked to do things that are not in job description and it is truly frustrating, don't mind helping out but don't expect my duties to get done when you are being pulled from different directions.
Pros
Health Care, Paid off time
Cons
No 401k, too many long hours and they don't want to pay overtime
great place to work
Group Worker (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 8, 2017
Great staff, great program. Children are eager to learn and do lessons. Trips are always somewhere fun, funding is used wisely. Great hours, great staff.
Productive and Fun workplace
Facilitator/Group Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
The Hudson Guild is the type of place that will inform you of the tasks for the day but those tasks can quickly change if a group or event were to be canceled. A typical day would start off with a group meeting. In the group meeting, a supervisor would inform us of where to be at what time and what we should be doing. the meeting would also have important information such as which person(s) called out for the day, if any, if we were to have visitors, suspensions, and much more. The people are very understanding and the kids are always a thrill to be around.
It was a nice to work.
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
It was a great place to start working if you desired to teach, tutor , train or educate in the near future. We had a great time working with the teens and assisting them with their athletic performance. And life skills that would guide them in their upbringing as young men and woman.
Pros
Going to work and doing something you love
Diverse Environment
Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2017
I really enjoy working with most staff and the children are bundles of joy.I did find it hard to grow as supervision and micromanagement was constant and excessive.

-Constant shuffle with staff and lack organization and team building
Pros
Kids, Environment, Hours
Cons
no benefits, lack structure, no room for growth, extreme micromanagement
Working at the Hudson Guild summer camp was the best.
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2017
Although days got stressful, working at the Hudson Guild was the best time of my life. There was never really a typical day at work, because everyday were doing something different with the kids. As a camp counselor I learned that dealing with kids take time and patience. Management was good, everyone was respectful towards one another.The workplace was clean, and always loud because of the kids of course but in a good way we were always having fun.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the parents and sometimes the kids because they were young they mostly didn't know any better.The most enjoyable part was the activities we got to do with the kids, and the trips, everything was always fun there.
Pros
fun activities and trips.
Cons
rude parents
Great for an internship
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
I completed my MSW internship here. It was a good experience and I enjoyed working with the kids. It was challenging at times, but I felt supported by most of the staff. The hardest part was getting teenagers to engage in the after school groups.
Great
RUNNER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2017
I help clean the kitchen help cook and prep food for the elderly and help serve them I also like the workers that was there because there helped a lot when I didnt know something
Cons
It's a place where you can bond with children and interact with great people.
Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
A typical work day at Hudson Guild is just picking up the kids from school, bring them to the Hudson Guild site to serve the children snacks. Then you transition in 30 mins of homework assistance. After homework time we then proceed into doing activities that incorporate Math,Science, Literacy, and Art. Once we are finished with activities, we then take the participants to the gym but if it's a nice day we then decide to take them outside to the nearest playground. Then we bring the kids back to the classrooms and prepare for pick up. While we wait we can either have the participants share what was their favorite part of the day or we can continue to run organized games until their parents come to pick them up.
Management in Hudson Guild is okay. In the sense where usually supplies that you need are not provided or when you find yourself in need of assistance with a participant giving a hard time.
The hardest part at working in Hudson Guild would have to be being able to adapt and to have a back up plan when it comes to lession planning. Usually sometimes things don't go as you planned.
The one thing that I really enjoy working at Hudson Guild is being able to reach out to different kids and making a difference in their life. It could be as small as helping them over come life situations or helping them improve in a subject that they are struggling in. That's what I look forward to every single day when I'm on my way to work.
The Hudson Guild
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
I am very thankful for the Hudson Guild for showing me how important children and families are and that i am a part of an oranization which i have had growth in helping families that are in need and have been able to provide referals for children that need services, It may be challenging at times trying to get parents to undersatnd and participate in workshops and other events that pertain to their children, but that is the part that i love the most. The children and families at our center are the most important part of my job because i love helping them in whatever their needs are and enjoy advocating for them whenever needed, recruiting with my co-workers and working close to them as a team is also one of the things that i enjoy because it gives me the chnace to meet new people and also form partnerships with other organizations.
Pros
Eating lunch with the children in the classroom to form relationships with them
Cons
Health Care Benefits
Hudson guild is a wonderful place
Group Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Working at the Hudson Guild is a wonderful place. A well-respected organization in the heart of Chelsea. I've learned so much as a group worker and will utilize the skills I've learned in the future to come. The guild has taught me how to assess behavioral report create lesson plans and implementing common core standards and many teaching strategies for a classroom setting. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children, as well as seeing them engaged in the activities and partnerships the Guild has to offer.
Pros
hot meals for participants, partnerships, participants
Cons
room for growth, healthcare
Great Teaching Opportunity
Group Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
The Hudson Guild prepared me in becoming a teacher as they had me create and implement lesson plans. They also gave me multiple subjects to cover which only widen my horizons.
No Growth
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2015
It was a decent environment with cool coworkers. However, the tasks were generally monotonous. It was not a place of growth for me.
Educational envirornment
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2015
Very educational environment, knowledgeable staff. I enjoy working with the teachers and students and maintaining lines of communication with the parents/guardians. The staff is all about team work.
Experience: Unpaid Internship
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Downtown New YorkJuly 7, 2015
The Hudson Guild was a good experience because it taught me how to work quick and under pressure. A typical day in the kitchen was come in prep meals for the elderly. Once the students arrived review the menu and help the kids prepare the meals. HArdest part of the job at first was learning to work quick , independantly and under pressure.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Internship
Fieldwork Level 1: Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
● Supportive case management
● Friendly visit (supportive out reach service to senior citizens)
● Created and ran two therapeutic groups
● Provided counseling
● Case assistance
● Crisis intervention
● Worked on elder abuse cases with lead social worker

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hudson Guild. Our community is ready to answer.

Hudson Guild Reviews by Location