Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Interactive and Competitive Work Place
Accounting Intern (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 18, 2018
Great atmosphere, motivating employees and a lot of opportunity to grow within the company. Great rates, transparent with members, and an overall genuine approach to the success of the company.
Loved it
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rhinebeck, NYApril 10, 2018
Loved working there, the only reason I left was for an internship. Once the internship is over I may go back. Its one of the only jobs I enjoyed going to each day.
It's still customer service
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Lagrangeville, NYMarch 20, 2018
The pay is great and the people you work with are awesome, but it's still customer service. People scream at you and you're only paid a little bit above minimum wage.
Pros
Above minimum wage
Cons
Angry customers
A Great Place to Work
Lead Teller (Current Employee) –  Orange County, NYMarch 2, 2018
HVFCU is a fantastic place to work. They treat their employees fairly and offer great benefits. Since it is a local company, they are really invested in the Hudson Valley.
Great company
Teller (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 28, 2018
This is a great company to work for.. as long as you can take this type of work. It is not for everyone. What I like is the family you create with your co workers. Everyone is fun, smart, and ready to help at anytime. However, I believe Tellers are not compensated fairly. The sales goals go up every year, making it a bit difficult to obtain. It can be stressful, especially when staff is overworked due to coverage for other branches. It tends to become excessive when you are covering in many branches in just 1 month.
Pros
Free lunch at times, co workers
Cons
30min break, compensation
good job
teller (Former Employee) –  NYFebruary 23, 2018
great place to work. helps you discover your skills. the culture is very traditional and could use some working on. overall a great company to start and grow in
Pros
consistent paycheck. Good employees. Wellness expo is cool
Cons
Culture. do not like giving snow days
It's a good place to work
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 18, 2018
A good place to work with great supervisors and managers. Negative, it is difficult to change/switch departments, to pursue other opportunities within the business. HVFCU claims to encourage employees to apply for positions even outside their department/division however, it is very difficult to switch departments if you begin as a teller, or contact center rep (even if you have a business B.S./M.S/M.B.A degree.
Fast paced, busy company
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Valley, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Overall it was a good company to work for. It was very difficult to advance due to employees being there so long so positions above the branch level did not open that often. After awhile, you begin to feel stuck in your current position and even to move to another location, you have to interview for that which can be annoying and discouraging at times.
Pros
Big company and very well known in the community
Cons
Hard to advance
Awesome company
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYFebruary 4, 2018
Very awesome company. While pay isn't too competitive, the benefits absolute make up for it. The people that work at the company are very welcoming and a pleasure to work with each and every day.
Cohesive working environment
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 18, 2018
As an employee of the Hudson Valley Credit Union, I was given the necessary tools and resources to do my job effectively. We had a flexible schedule so there was always a rotation of the operational tasks and responsibilities. This also included performing as a teller when needed during high volumes or if staff was out due to PTO. Interactions with credit union members was always apart of my work day in many different capacities such as assisting with an account query or on the teller window. The overall workplace was always cohesive; branch staff including management were always willing to step in if there was high volumes or if we were short staffed. During days when we were short staffed, it was extremely stressful but we always focused on teamwork to ensure that we provided the quality service that our members expected.
Pros
flexible schedule, available training, consistent teamwork
Cons
Good Financial Institution to Start!
Financial Service Teller (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 12, 2018
HVFCU is a good company to get you started in the financial world. The company is great with compensation and the staff is a pleasure to work with. The customers (members) are much easier to work with than at traditional banks. Training is informational and quick.
Pros
Good Environment, Pleasant Members
Cons
Not much upward mobility
Reason People leave here!
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, NYNovember 27, 2017
Management talks about thier employees with employees. There is no confidentiality. You are spoken down to making you feel as if you are stupid. If a manager does not like you they "timeline" all occurrences stating it is for coaching and developmental purposes but uses it to write up. Management speak about accountability but always passes the blame. They speak of communication but only if it suites them. The points system on attendance is ridiculous!
Pros
paid time off
Cons
passive aggressive leader cut throat dishonest and unfair
face paced, education encouraged, good benefits.
Accounts Payable Rep (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYNovember 12, 2017
Worked for the company for 12 years until moving from NY to FL. Good reference for getting my 1st job in FL. Long term relationship with co-workers that still remains today. Continued education and advancement always encouraged.
Pros
good work environment, benefits and time off. Training available paid by company.`
Enjoyable
Teller (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Valley, NYOctober 26, 2017
Great place to work. Friendly staff, decent hours, opportunities to move up. A lot of management has your best interest at mind. Benefits are amazing.
Great work experience
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Hopewell Junction, NYOctober 19, 2017
High paced working environment. Pushes you to meet quotes and goals monthly and quarterly. Very strict guidelines you must follow for appearance and dress code.
Self Driven
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 9, 2017
Management lacked Drive to promote an energetic, positive, productive environment. My direct daily interactions with peers made working here enjoyable and rewarding.
Pros
Great Work Team/Peers
Great Place
File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 26, 2017
I've really enjoyed my time at the Credit Union, and regret the fact that I have to look for employment elsewhere. Unfortunately I am no longer able to work my scheduled hours.
productive but stressful and truly unpleasant
Poughkeespie, NY Teller (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Super stressful work enviorment
truly unpleasant "members"
Sale goals are completely too high and unrealistic for tellers.
Movement within the company is too timely and very unlikely
co-workers are fun and talented people
Marketing Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 18, 2017
I've had a lot of fun working in this company. I had friendly and talented co-workers. The company also provides us time and place to walk during breaks, fun games and activities at least once a month.
Nice work environment with great staffing.
Teller 1 (Former Employee) –  Highland, NYSeptember 12, 2017
Sometimes branches become understaffed, so stress levels may raise as people pick up more hours, but in my experience the management and supervisory roles did an excelent job of working with employees and finding fun ways to relieve tension, be it a fun game/competition between everyone in regards to what we have achieved, and who can achieve the most, or just keeping the workplace enjoyable with light hearted humor.