Hughes Network Systems Employee Reviews

Workplace culture needs to be updated
Principle Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 2, 2018
The corporate workplace culture is behind the times. Most internal systems (used for daily work) are outdated. There is a general lack of process. Very little autonomy and no work life balance. The salary is low and opportunities for promotion very slow.
Wonderful place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 1, 2018
Would highly recommend Hughes Network Systems. This is an amazing place to work. Everyone is friendly, culturally responsible and sensitive, and very respectful. Best place I have ever worked.
Nice Place to work
NOC Technician II (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 17, 2018
State of the art NOC, very knowlegble peer not afraid to share their knowledge , good hours , friendly envirioment and space to grow , cafeteria was great. good prices and decent food.
Pros
lunch available must of the time
Cons
communte
Kind of cult like environment
SENIOR SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 16, 2018
People usually stay for years and retire
Company rarely hires from the outside
Enjoyed the the lunch options in the building
Takes a while to learn the layout of the building
Not impressed with Human Resources department
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Company culture is outdated
Review Summary
Director of Program Management (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 15, 2018
My typical workday is non-stop, which s fine. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers and supporting their networks. Hits customer due dates and meeting customer needs if fulfilling.
Pros
Working with peers
Cons
Systems not user friendly
Job experience
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 28, 2018
Hughes was a great opportunity to learn alot about running a Satellite NOC. People was friendly and cared about their employee will being. Hughes give their employees the opportunity to grow and it will reimburse for education that relate to your job.
Pros
Ability to learn about a Satellite Network and Antenna
Cons
Satellite Network is different from every other Network, what you learn is only for Satellite field
Great People, Terrible Management
Radio Frequency Engineer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 20, 2018
Worked with some amazing people. Management doesn't care about employees. Benefits are pretty standard, nothing amazing. Will likely be paid less than your peers at other companies.
High paced work environment
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 18, 2018
I think that my time at Hughes Network Systems was good based off learning several new aspects of the Satellite Communications arena. I felt as though it was a decent work place with SOME managers that truly cared about their personnel.
Bad time to take on an intern
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 17, 2018
While working at Hughes Network Systems had a lot of potential it was a bad time for them to take on an intern. They were in the middle of a big deal with Air Force Colombia and did not have a lot of time to explain much to me. It resulted in me spending more days than I would have liked without much direction or purpose. Some of it was on me for not being more proactive and requesting more work.
Pros
Extremely kind environment, understanding
Cons
not enough time to educate me to be more helpful
Literally the worst place you could work for in the area if you are a developer
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 28, 2018
Seriously, don't put yourself through this. If you are a software developer you have hundreds of options that will pay you better and provide you with better perks even if you restrict yourself to Germantown and Gaithersburg. Seriously, just don't
Pros
Cons
Literally everything.
Decent Company
Senior UNIX Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 1, 2018
I really resent having to do this!

Ratings above are intended to give them Average Scores, just to get thru these forms.

Oh, and minimum character counts? LAME!
good place to start
SMT Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 28, 2018
good place to start , learn something new everyday . management is good , but the pay was not . i was hired by agency . co-workers was very nice to me
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
pay was not good
Fun environment
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 19, 2018
Co workers is what made the job enjoyable but it is stressful and managements at times ti not very helpful favoritism was a common issue with this company
Pros
lunch room had pool tables and other games to distract your mind
Cons
work area was unsanitary
High job security but no advancement - worse than average pay.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 1, 2018
The field is rather specialized, so there is high job security, but relatively little advancement. The pay is also less than average in the industry. The on-site facility is good; however. There are some departments that cause a lot of out-of-hours activities, and the on-call job is not to be recommended.
Dead End, Don't EvenThink About It
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 12, 2017
I hate this place, specifically the Gaithersburg location. I didn't mind it at first until socially I discovered it was just a drag. The employees are stressed and take it out on others because poor and clueless management is constantly watching over them as if they were robots. Half of the management does not know what they are doing half of the time and when things go awry, they take it out on the employees in the assembly line. Line Leaders and Managers do not know how to speak to contract employees professionally and are disrespectful because they think their position allows them to treat them like that. On top of that, they ask you troubleshooting questions as if they paid you enough to know that information. Furthermore, it is an unstable job if you're under Randstad contract. Never, AGAIN! I will not recommend ANYONE to go there, ever. Your freedom is limited to the MAX. This will not benefit you at all. Might make a couple bucks, but that's it.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional, rude enivronment, no free lunch
Productive and ever-changing
VSAT Hub Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2017
Working at Hughes was very satisfying. Being the largest VSAT hub of it's kind at the time, provided lots of avenues for learning. The location was the perfect commute for me.
Local Workplace Award Winner
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDAugust 16, 2017
A leader in its market, this local company has a global reach. The company offers many career opportunities to its employees. If you are considering a new opportunity, consider looking into this company.
Fresh out of college 1st job
LAN Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I did my internship there during College (part of the program I was in at school) which was required in order to graduate. I was hired at the conclusion of my internship. Stayed there for about a year or so then my position there was outsourced. Fair folks but substandard pay. I didn't seek a different position.
It was a good place to work.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 20, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed working for Hughes. For the most part, I loved my job...I liked the work. I loved how busy I always was. Only complaint I ever really had is that we could have used more people, but that can probably be said about a lot of workplaces.
Good learning environment
Program Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 13, 2017
Company is not a micro management environment. You are free, within reason, to use company resource to get your job done. Best to have a technical background for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hughes Network Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight