Human First, Inc. Employee Reviews

Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 14, 2019
Hostile work environment
Administrators threatening job security
Very uncomfortable environment
Residential administrators (not house supervisors) lack professionalism. The job is challenging enough but when you are working in a hostile work environment its not worth it.
Unprofessional Company
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  QueensMay 22, 2019
Management is horrible
Favoritism is at a high
unprofessional and if they don’t like you will do things to try and get you out
No room for advancement
Never enough staff
Staff forced to do jobs that aren’t in description
This company does the opposite of everything they stand for
Pros
The clients
Cons
Great if you love helping others
Respite Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYApril 26, 2019
I love my job helping people with disabilities. It is very fulfilling but not enough pay to stay for long. You can work in private homes or group homes or community day habs
Pros
Fulfillment, benefits
Cons
Pay
Fun
Assistant Director of Residential Services (Current Employee) –  NYCApril 19, 2019
It's a great place for people to work and grow. By working g there, one has the opportunity to improve their skills set tremendously. Overall, it's not bad
Must have Patience and a Caring Heart
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 8, 2019
I been working as a DSP for 10 years at Human First and love what I do helping my individuals with many task they need help in such as cooking, cleaning, giving medication, assist in bathing, ADL care and etc.
I have also learned alot a gain experience such as AMAP, CPR/ First Aide trained, Fire Safety/Evacuation plan etc. I recommend this Job if you have a caring heart to want to work with those who have disabilty. THEY ARE JUST SO LOVABLE.
Good clients. Terrible management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 7, 2018
The clients and their parents are wonderful to work with but the organization management is lousy. There is a lack of communication between the workers and management. The organization does not value their workers, we have bills to pay and we need workable works. Four hours a day won't pay the bills. I think human first have forgotten that without us the employees the organization will be out of business. The supervisors need to communicate better with their employees instead of ignoring us. All because they have seniority does not give them the right to look down at their dsps.
Pros
Good clients
Cons
Pay, lack of communication between management and field employees, long distance cases.
Downsized employees and given 2-3 work responsibilities/titles.
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 6, 2018
The company is a non-profit, but have no compassion for employees. Reporting are very detailed, and too much stress is imposed on employees. Management does not respect employees taking breaks.
Pros
Program Directors are very knowledgeable & embodies humane service, supposedly expected of employees working with people of special needs.
Cons
No appreciation of rank & file, Management by Adapt Community Network (formerly UCP of NY) created stressful work environment
planned respite
wavier service provider (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 9, 2017
getting experience in the real world with working with real kids,
learning new ways to push potential of a child .also getting hands on and being part of the growth
Pros
learning the city and traveling
Cons
spending your own money
Fast paced environment
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Pleasant working conditions, proactive atmosphere, good benefits. Management has reasonable expectations of employees. Co-workers were all pleasant and professional.
cool place and sometimes we go play pool!
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYAugust 31, 2017
We go on different trips and do several things that are actually pretty fun. We have gone to the wax museum etc but we also take time and assist them with learning math, reading and skills necessary to obtain employment after they leave. Some of us genuinely love our participants and can only hope that you would follow that. Its not just a job, you're making a difference. So make it count!
I Worked There For Over A Year
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYAugust 18, 2017
I had a fair time there. It was never a problem with my coworkers, it was always management. I believe that they were handcuffed by upper management for what we could and couldn't do for the individuals.
Pros
Flexable Schedule, Lots of OT
Cons
Poor management
Very unprofessional top management
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2017
Eventhough the site that I work at is very pleasant; however, the top management in this agency is very unprofessional, only think how to increase revenue without any compensation to their employees. Requesting employees to give the max to the agency; however, there are nothing in return. Top management won't even speak-up for their subordinates and only demanding more works. There are no consistency and strategic in whatever they are doing.
Pros
The site I work is pleasant
Cons
Salary very low and no increase
not a good work enviroment
Former (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYAugust 1, 2017
HF has a harsh and very unsupportive work environment, the Administration will not give raises. the agency was taken over by a much bigger agency and the pay is way low now.
Pros
Cons
No training will be provided
Great staff, Amazing atmosphere.
Community Rehabilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 25, 2017
I've worked with this company for 3 years now and the staff and individuals are amazing. Any problems staff members may have gets resolved as soon as possible.
Company Trainings
Community Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYJuly 24, 2017
My schedule revolved around my individual. Whatever activity she needed to attend, I had to make sure I get her there on time. Half the year and end of the year, the company would have mandatory trainings. Company makes a big deal out of it.
Pros
Teaching the individual to be more independent
Cons
Company not strict with employees timing in and timing out
Amazing Experience
Aide (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYJuly 22, 2017
I enjoyed teaching my individual about school and introduce him to a fun daily activities. We enjoyed going to the mall, to the movies and going to concerts.
Pros
Meeting great families
Cons
Relaxed environment but little job security
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYMay 5, 2017
The position of a Direct Support Professional isn't stressful in itself. That being said this is not a job for everybody. You will be dealing with individuals that have severe behavioral problems, such as: individual who attack staff by means of kicking, biting, throwing objects at staff. The compensation doesn't fit the level of stress-fullness of the position. There is a high turn over of DSP'S, residential supervisors, as well as nurses. Staff are frequently suspended with no pay some times for month's at a time just from accusations. The position would a lot more tolerable if there was a union in place to advocate in behalf of staff.
Pros
Plenty of over time
Cons
some time dangerous woriking situations, IRA'S that are serverly understaffed, and a high turnover of workers.
Assistant day habilitation coordinator
Assistant Day habilitation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYMarch 5, 2017
The agency lacks structure. No job security at all. No raises, no staff moral. Every new hire is through referral even the CEO. New staff has no experience and is related to or knows someone working there. The BIS don't know there place. Everyone wants to be a boss. Management is even worst. Too many cliques in management gossiping to subordinates about things they don't need to know.

Every time you turn around someone is getting suspended.

Horrible work ethics. No confidential at All!!!!
Pros
Cons
Too much gossip. No structure or leadership from management.
Great Job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Very relaxed job. Great experience working with people with disabilities. Flexible hours. Nothing to demanding. Great pay for young people. Amazing environment. Just sometimes management can mix up little things here and there.
Absolutely no appreciation from management.
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYJuly 21, 2016
No appreciation from management. Those who work directly with individuals are looked down upon. They dont seem to care about the workers and its obvious when the salary is only 11 per hr. Its ridiculous when the last I heard, the raise for one person was a 70% increase. Its also not good for
morale, and with such low salaries and no raise, many quit. Its very easy for someone to say they care about humanity when their sitting behind a desk. The true humanitarian works directly with the individual while executives do their happy dance and pat each other on the back for the progress that would not be possible without the direct care workers.