Humana Employee Reviews

Found 4,783 reviews matching the search See all 4,885 reviews
Numbers over Quality.
Clinical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 17, 2018
Numbers over Quality. A lot of Talk about Work Life balance and self-care and commitment to excellence but very poor ACTUAL practice of these. Stressful. Multi-tasking. Hyper-monitored and measured. Emphasis of marketing/sales instead of helping, guiding or caring for persons served. Colleagues all very smart, supportive, creative but too often they left the job or their ideas were discounted. Great for people who need a decent paycheck and benefits and who enjoy being two or three persons at a time.
Pros
Good pay, benefits. Great colleagues.
Cons
Unrealistic standards of productivity, Poor management, Numbers over Quality. No advancement opportunities.
Conniving and manipulative work environment
Item Entry Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 29, 2018
Health benefits for an insurance company were incompetent.
Management promoted competitiveness.
No grace given for company caused technology malfunctions against your personal metrics.
Micromanaged breaks, lunches etc..
Quantity over quality focused pertaining to employees.
Brown nosing APPROVED!
Low salary negotiations.
Discriminatory management/leadership style.
Terminating of employees are conjured and acted upon in a snake like manner.
You may be better off in a predictable retail environment along with an additional part time job, opposed to dealing with the numerable stresses Humana comes with.
Care Coach - Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 2, 2018
Humana in general is a good place to work. There are many development opportunities and growth is encouraged. Due to the company structure and the line of business there is constant change, often times your work processes can change by the day, which can be frustrating. There are many virtual or work from home positions within the company. The company in general is very accepting of those from a variety of cultures and prides themselves on being open and accepting, and encourages all employees feel the same as well. The pay is good for the field that I worked in and raises happened on an annual basis. There is a high level of technology used for work, which can be difficult for those not used to it, and as always there are technical difficulties that impact work on a regular basis.
fast paced environment
Inbound Customer Service Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 4, 2019
call center, it was frustrating, stressful, it lest you scrambling for answers while you had the member on hold. You had to go through maybe 4 up to 10 different documentations to figure out the answer. You have minimum support for assistance. Management was pleasant in my eyes but for not so many. They did their best. The most joyable abt the job was the colleagues, Humana does think about your well being and culture.
Pros
alot of benefits to choose from free lunches for time to time
Cons
short breaks and lunches occurance/attendences polices to many penalizations, the procedures were overbearing
Care Manager
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 12, 2019
I worked for almost 9 year's and loved the benefits, but getting time off was difficult and not always flexible. I loved my role as care manager, but advancement was given to and offered to other "favored" employees. I loved the work life balance and flexibility of work from home. I was very dedicated to my role and a top performer for the organization. Humana is noted for their RIFs and had been warned early on that they do that and left before that occurred.
Pros
Work from Home, Great benefits, Great philanthropy program
Cons
No advancement opportunities and not flexible with PTO.
Job wasn't what was explained at interview
Telephonic Personal Nurse (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 30, 2018
Hired as a personal nurse for military. Training started out ok with IT, went downhill from there. Once "bootcamp" for personal nurse program began, training was hit or miss. It was obvious management had other meetings to attend, so they threw activities out to you, and you were left to do them, wondering "where do I start". Others in training with you felt the same way. You were a telemarketer, not permitted to leave a VMM stating you were a nurse...really? Most beneficiaries either wouldn't answer the phone, or agreed to enroll in the program and then didn't answer on follow up calls. I wouldn't either....we harassed them because we had to, it was expected of us. Poor management. Now role has changed again...no education permitted from us as nurses. So done with them.
Pros
Benfits, salary was decent
Cons
micromanagement, poor structure, nothing thought out, just do it and shut up.
Service at the pleasure of the employer....
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 7, 2018
First off, Humana offers its employees zero when it comes to work/life balance; it's all about the needs of the company with no consideration given to its employees. While they provide PTO, there are times where you absolutely cannot use them; if you have an emergency and take the time off, Humana has an occurrence system in place that will punish the employee to the point of termination or voluntary separation. The starting wage is competitive, but not when compared to the workload they place on the employee--in fact, when health benefits are factored in, the starting pay pales compared to what the employee receives. For an insurance company, the health benefits are EXTREMELY thin and expensive. Ever have insurance that was too expensive to use (i.e. co-pays, coinsurance, deductibles)? Well, these are those health benefits.
Pros
Great management, fun atmosphere and co-workers
Cons
No work/life balance, poor benefits, relentless workload.
You can make well over 100K a year.
TeleSales Agent (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 13, 2019
If you can perform like a machine and not use your personality to sell Humana has more to offer than any other Health Insurance I have found. They went from allowing Agents to be themselves and their sales ability with Member. To sounding like a recording and not interacting with the prospect.

The 401k match is great, benefits were above average.
Plenty of PTO and much overtime as you wanted during AEP.

If your a heavy hitter you will probably make more money with Humana than you will anywhere else in the business.
I just couldn't go with the change of not being able to be friendly yet professional with my Members. I'm a Veteran Sales Person not a computer. Other than that I highly recommend Humana as a great place to work.
Cons
QA expectations were way beyond what Medicare requires
Many positions allow remote work from home schedule
Escalated Code Editing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 17, 2018
I was fortunate enough to get a remote work-from-home position, which was extremely convenient, but the production standards were completely unrealistic, forcing much longer work weeks than were tolerable for me. The salary was decent for the position, but the health plan was a high deductible plan with health savings account, which can be a problem if you have an chronic conditions, just making sure you are putting enough funds away in your account to cover regular medical expenses. My immediate supervisor was helpful and somewhat sympathetic, but the upper-level management had unrealistic expectations of our production level and were not flexible in the least.
Pros
work from home
Cons
lack of work/life balance
Na
Operations Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 27, 2018
pros:
benefits are great volunteer is awesome.

Cons:
depending on department the leads and supervisors have there own little circle and if your not part of it, then you were stuck in that spot and no chance of advancement. Also if you have something that is personal and confidential and you speak to your Tl or FLL they seem the spread it to others. they do what they want on company time and some leads or supervisors have no experience nor do they communicate When I was there they had a bunch of HR calls not by me but by others for not being fair and discriminate.

Want to know more about Humana?

Ask a question
Productive, Fast Passed, Good Benefits
Access Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 2, 2018
Worked in a fast pace and steady environment. The people I worked with was very nice people to work with. The sales representatives was great to work with. A typical day was a busy and fast paced day. It required a fast pace and organized employee. The hardest part of the job was often we were sent home for hours to be minimized to save cost to the company. The hardest part to accept as a hard working employee was the benefits. As an insurance company you would expect them to offer fair benefits but the policies they had to offer was very low. There was very little options to advance and move up in the company.
Pros
Wonder employees to work with. Great training to employees to preform their jobs.
Cons
Healthcare, the parking in downtown was very expensive, they gave no options for parking benefits.
worked at home
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 12, 2018
I valued working at home. The hardest part of the job was periodic staff layoffs but I was valued and was offered an early retirement opportunity which I accepted. Humana matched 401 K per policy which was very generous and not always seen in current jobs. I enjoyed my patients and valued being able to educate to enable them to lead the healthiest and valued lives possible for each patient and enjoyed the contact with them. The long hours expected to complete the caseload was the hardest part of the job. Overall I found the job rewarding and as a dedicated RN, satisfying for the most part.
Pros
working at home, 401K matching, job satisfaction
Cons
long hours expected, health benefits
Ok, but too micromanaged
Data Entry Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 20, 2018
Overall not a bad company to work for. in fact the first two and a half years were good to me. Good health benefits. Management is terrible and can really make you hate your job and everything about it. I would say if you're lucky enough to get the right people on your team, great support from your leaders and if management did a complete 360 on how they run things, employees could actually be happy and successful here.
Pros
Pto, Health Care benefits
Cons
Management, no advancement, raises
Poor Management, Great Pay and Benefits
Risk Adjusment Represenative (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 5, 2018
I have a gained a lot of experience, and enjoy the position I have. The company does offer great benefits and the pay is very good. The management I deal with directly is not the best. I rarely feel comfortable communicating with them, or coming to them with any issues I may run into during work. There are easier ways to do a lot of tasks, and the company talks about pioneering simplicity but seems to stick with difficult processes handling things in multiple areas.
Pros
Amazing for gaining experience, great benefits and pay
Cons
Poor management, difficult processes for simple tasks
Depends on the Department
ACCOUNT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 15, 2018
Humana Waterside Building

Anything outside of the Resolution department would probably be a better experience. Been here for seven years, I'm ready for a new experience. Before coming to this department all of my managers have been supportive and caring, wanting to see you grow. Resolution (Grievances and Appeals) is a sinking ship.
Pros
Match with 401k
Cons
Healthcare, Pay, Consistency, Promotion, Favoritism, No Bonuses, Work Life Balance, Management
If you like long hours of sitting in the same place this is a good fit for you
Specialist Billing & Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 24, 2018
I've only made it through half the training currently. We were suddenly pulled to the floor on calls doing things that we were not trained in. On top of that there is mandatory overtime and mandatory weekends.
After experiencing what the workflow is like I'm quitting and I have not even made it through the second part of the training.

If you can make it through 10 to 9 hour days a week... and sometimes weekend this is a job for you.

By the way when you just start you only get three call out days and you cannot be 3 minutes late back from break today. And that goes on for 3 months!
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Low management check in, long work hours, and short brakes
Humana
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 27, 2018
The company does a very good job at being flexible around family obligations(i.e. work-life balance). The compensation is above average and very good depending on your job location. The one downside is that there isn't much opportunity to move around the company IF you're not interested in a management career.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited if you're not interested in managing
Humana at home...was not a fan
Personal Health Coach/Case manager (Former Employee) –  work from homeJuly 24, 2018
I took the position there in 2015 because it was "flexible hours" however, after 5 weeks of training they decided we could no longer "flex" our hours and we had to work a standard schedule 5 days per week. I explained to them that I had school and they basically said too bad. Another employee in our large training group was fired on the spot for questioning the ethics of the management. There was also a lot of micromanagement, and the supervisor I had was probably my least favorite boss I have ever had in my career.

On a positive note, I have been told working at Humana is all about what department you are in and who your supervisors are. The benefits were great, and the other departments I dealt with were amazing as well. However, I do not recommend working with Humana at Home
Pros
constant change, micromanagement
Cons
health care, benefits
Great place to work, however ACA changes casued huge downsizing
SMALL GROUP MEDICAL UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 19, 2018
Humana is one of the most technological sound companies I have ever worked for. They were constantly trying to make the rating system for small group underwriting better. They designed there own rating system and the always planned for future growth, making the process quicker, and more efficient.

I didn't think the pay was where it should be. The pay (vs national average) was low. According to HR it was right on track, however; a simple search on various websites proved that false.

Lots of input from our dept before changes were made.

For an insurance company I was suprised at the lack of benefits. It may have changed since I was there but all they offered were HDHP plans with high deductibles.

Work/life balance was very poor in my dept. Manager was an vindictive and only cared about production so she could get bonuses.. Creating unhealthy competition, calling out people in front of the team when they were slower than some of the other team members.
Pros
nice people, decent benefits
Cons
benefits were lacking, pay is lower than national average
Humana good company, clinical management poor
Clinical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 4, 2018
Micro-managed, mandated overtime for salaried personal, have to beg to take vacation days ( have even lost vacation time due to supervisor not allowing time off ) , no respect from supervisor for employee or their family life, treated like a child instead of a professional. Humana is a good company to work for, however front line leaders and supervisors are not trained how to treat their employees. I retired from company and did not even get a card from my supervisor.
Pros
Parking, adequate salary
Cons
Mandated overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Humana. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
41.5K
31.1K

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight