Humane Society of Greater Kansas City
View all Humane Society of Greater Kansas City reviews

Humane Society of Greater Kansas City

Humane Society of Greater Kansas City Veterinary Technician Review

Loved the animals BUT STAY AWAY

Welcome to a place that will steal your heart and soul with the animals that you help while also stealing your mental, physical and financial stability. The job will show you all the horrors of cruelty and neglect but, you are in a place that will do everything in their power to help all the animals they see. The decision to help all animals means that the budget is limited especially when it comes to your wages. It is a nonprofit job and like most nonprofits the pay is a joke. If you are looking for a high paying job then go to a private clinic. If you are looking for a job that offers you fulfillment you will find it. However you will have managers that see you as replaceable and will treat you unfairly, and take advantage of you. The end result is feeling burnt out. You show up to work wondering what crazy and unreal things you will see. You walk into the building dreading to see managers who are full of unrealistic expectations about what you are capable of doing. The responsibilities you are given management is incapable of performing. Management will also sit back when you are struggling, watch you ask for help, do nothing and then criticize your performance.

Pros

Employee Discount, Animals, coworkers, helping people

Cons

Short breaks aka no breaks, inept management, favoritism, nepotism, trash pay

2.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Same role

Felt like I made a difference, enjoyed most of my co-workers.

The employees were incredibly supportive even though we were constantly being put through the ringer, as working in a shelter environment is stressful. It was a company I still believe in, but the hours and pay were hard to balance, and the job was very emotional at times. However, most everyone I worked with in the clinic side was amazing, and they taught me a lot. The hardest part was dealing with the public who didn't either have the money or the care to handle their pets.
Same roleSame location

Underpaid

If you want a job that shows your value by compensating you appropriately then keep looking. You experience and dedication to animals will not be paid for and you will not make enough money to survive. They don’t care how hard you work or how well you are educated….you will be the lowest paid employee. Most new hires make more than the ones that have been there so I may be wrong. You must choose between yourself and your love of animals bc you can’t feed both.

Pros

Love my coworkers, help people and pets

Cons

Pay at poverty level, they don’t care that you starve or can’t pay rent bc they are using you, Never given raises, Little to no training.
Same location

New Management

The Humane Society is currently under new management and I can not say enough good things about the direction that we are moving in, especially the dog shelter. We have gone from only having long terms dogs (years) to not consistently seeing adoption in our lobby.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Humane Society of Greater Kansas City. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits