Humane Society of Missouri Employee Reviews

Hidden Agendas
Rescue & Investigations Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2018
For all the years that I worked for this company, I saw a great deal of heartbreaking things take place. In front of cameras they appear to be all about the animals but that's the furthest thing from the truth. I left this job due to flat out discrimination within upper management. The culture is so wrong and politically incorrect that it's sickening.
Pros
Serving helpless animals
Cons
High turn over rates with employees. Pay is minimal
Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2018
Act like everyone is your friend and stay on your managers goodside and keep track of your points because no one tells you how close your getting to pointing out, then you get fired for pointing out. Be expected to do every job in the building and don’t be responsible for drug books.
Pros
4 days a week
Cons
10 hours days with one 30 minute break
No comment
Lead Ranch Assistant (Current Employee) –  Union, MOFebruary 5, 2018
Not really a place for advancement. Love if animals has kept me there. Pay is not commiserate with job duties or requirements. Loved the people I worked with.
Fast paced, professional staff
RVT (Current Employee) –  Headquarters-St. LouisDecember 18, 2017
I enjoy working at Humane Society of Missouri. It is high quality medicine in a fast paced environment. Management works hard to ensure that there is a team who work well together to provide quality care to patients in a caring and efficient way. Please note that while this job title says Humane Society, it is actually the Animal Medical Center of Mid-America that is owned by and attached to the Humane Society. It is not the shelter itself, but a state of the art, AAHA accredited hospital that supports HSMO. They are very focused on TEAM. Many team building exercises.
Pros
Pto (lots), environment, incentives
Cons
Hours
Fun place to volunteer at
Dog Walker/cleaner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, MODecember 16, 2017
Its enjoyable working with the people i do and seeing the new animals come in and the animals I've grown fond of go. My boss or whatever you would call her, has been there for me when i am going through hard times. Most of the people i work with are acceptionally good people and most of the dogs and cats are well mannered as well. The hardest part of the job is the smell and the most enjoyable part is getting new and easy going animals and watching the animals i have grown to love very much be adopted and have good homes. A typical day of work is walking there and waiting for at least half an hour for everyone else to get there and for everyone who is dropping of donations or animals or even adopting an animal to come. Then i go into the back and walk the dogs around and start on the kennels. Basically its scooping, mopping, and laying down papers and filling up there bowls. I have learned how to deal with people i don't get along with and stressful situations.
Pros
I can get discounts on flee medicine and some free objects like toys and collars
Cons
No cons really
Stressful job with happy out comes
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MO 63005December 1, 2017
This job was A LOT of cleaning and customer service. Management didn't communicate with the entire team about important things. It was nice getting to see older animals go home.
Pros
WOrking with animals
Cons
Management didn't communicate
Low Pay for a Stressful Job
Adoption Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOOctober 23, 2017
Working at the Humane Society was tremendously rewarding on a personal level. Getting to help animals everyday was an amazing experience. The problem is the very high levels of stress and emotion you have to deal with daily combined with minimal pay. The differential between upper management/CEO pay and everyday employees is immense, and while that might be expected in the business sector I expected better from a nonprofit. Almost impossible to survive there on what they paid. Still a great organization, I just don't recommend working there.
This is a stressful but rewarding career field.
Animal Health Care Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 2, 2017
This job is very hands on and stressful. It is fast paced, involving giving medications, handling animals and cleaning, veterinary exams, etc. Weekends especially are very hectic, as that is when most people come in to potentially adopt an animal. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing an animal you grew a bond with find the perfect home, however euthanasia does exist and is one of the tougher parts of this job.
Pros
good hours, animals
Cons
euthanasia, unwanted overtime
Must be strong minded and willing to do questionable things.
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2017
This is not all puppies and kittens. There are many things behind the scenes that many people can not handle. It is part of the field but there are a lot of politics behind the scenes. You do not remotely get paid enough for the things you do that will be with you for the rest of your life. There is almost no room for advancement and raises are almost unheard of. You are expected to work weekends, holidays, and even come in to assist when needed. The management has no idea what they are doing but that too should be expected when you pay managers who have been there for 10 years less than the starting rate at some other companies. The culture is a double edge sword many people have the same views as you may. However due to that fact many times everyone is unhappy and voicing their feelings about it.
Non Productive work place
Kennel Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 3, 2017
This company never helps you advanced even if you never missed a day and was always on time for work as well as taking others shifts and staying later. The supervisors and management team doesn't respect nor care a good working employee never the less about rooms you obtain each and every day. Kennel cleaner is the worst position because you get treated unfairly by cleaning eight rooms a day while, the animal care tech position only cleans four rooms at most and they're usually cats and furry animals which is much easier then dog rooms. In addition i feel if you must work here dont' take the animal care position and come to an understanding with your mangers.
Pros
Benefits and health care
Cons
Kennel Cleaner untreated fairly and numerous dog rooms to clean.
Fast paced work environment
Lead Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2016
Being employed with The Humane Society Of Missouri was a great experience. Being able to help lost, unwanted, and abandoned animals was a great part of my job.
Pros
Adoption of shelter animals
Cons
Seeing some animals not make it
Satisfaction
Registered Veterinary Technician - E-Room Lead (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 7, 2016
Here you get the need and want to help animals. A typical day required cleaning cages, intaking animals, processing animals and accessing their health and vaccinating them, adopting animals out. most management were pretty relaxed and part of the team. I loved the coworkers. hardest part of the job is you can't save them all, but you also get to see really wonderful pets go to good homes.
Pros
satisfactory, get to help animals
Cons
long hours, cant save them all
Rewarding Position
Adoption counselor (Former Employee) –  Maryland HeightsJune 28, 2015
My co-workers were like family to me. The position was rewarding and I gave my heart to caring for my beloved furry, and sometimes not so furry friends.
The pay was minimal, but if you can afford to follow your passion, I think you will find it rewarding as well.
Pros
Fun, funny, and good co workers
Cons
Sometimes heart-breaking
Hard
Adoption Councilor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 29, 2015
Hard job if you care for animals. It is rewarding, but emotionally draining. A lot of hours and the pay is not very high. It is a physically intense job. The people you work with are amazing.
loved my job
clinic/surgery asst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 1, 2014
really miss the clinic experience. Enjoyed working with the owners and animals in a fast pace enviroment
Pros
working with the animals and owners
Cons
hours
Great Place!!
Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 20, 2014
This was a great place to work!!! The staff is really dedicated to the work they do.
Hard work
Surgical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 3, 2014
You need tough skin to work in the animal field. Pay isnt good and very hard to see the constant neglect of animals
Pros
Helping animals
Cons
uneducated people
Workplace environment
Dog Training/Customer Service/Database analyst (Former Employee) –  St louis , moMarch 27, 2014
At the humane society my role included managing training classes for new puppy/dog owners. Co-workers and management were great to work with. Always Very helpful. I also was able to assist in building a Access registration database, for the training department.
Pros
working with dogs
Cons
so many dogs being euthanized
There have been many lives saved at the Humane Society of Missouri
Certified Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2013
Good facility with people who are truly passionate about animals.
Good Learning experence with kill shelter
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJune 21, 2012
I learned a lot when dealing w the public and euthanasia. How cruel people can be to animals.