Humane Society of Utah Employee Reviews

Good place for animal lovers
Vax & Exam Technician (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTSeptember 18, 2018
If you love working with homeless dogs and cats, this is a good place to be and learn. It's also high stress and demanding and one of the toughest jobs you'll ever love.
Pros
Work with animals, benefits
Cons
High stress, sometimes emotionallly challenging
A great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJune 10, 2018
For those with little experience with animal care, the Humane Society of Utah is a great place to start. They teach you basic animal restraints and precautions to take in dealing with dogs and cats. You learn about all the animals in the care of the society and grow to love them as well.
fun workplace
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTFebruary 13, 2018
I absolutely loved the humane society! The staff is amazing and always happy to help. The customers are always happy and decent to the staff. The animals are happy you are there to help them find homes!
Pros
Hour lunch
good place
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 25, 2018
I love the Humane Society. I have always had a lot of pets and this is a great way to have affordable spay/neuter and vaccines! The staff is always friendly and take good care of your pets.
Cons
great place for animal lovers
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTSeptember 30, 2017
the HSU is a great place to work if you love cats and dogs.it is mostly cleaning up after animals in the receiving department where i worked. so don't expect to get to play with all the dogs and cats all day
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
pay isn't that great (but it's a non-profit organisation)
fun place to volunteer and help animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 17, 2017
A group of people and I would come and spend time with the animals. Good management and nice people. It was very organized and clean and they kept good care of the animals.
Great people
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 4, 2017
great and flexible they are so kind and overall check for the well being of the animals! They also give you excellent training before they put you out with the public
Fun and dynamic work place, it's all about the animals
Kennel Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTOctober 7, 2014
*An average day starts with cleaning cages/rooms in the adoptions department before it opens. During the cleaning I check the animals health and well being, any sick animals are move to the receiving department and I enter notes in the computer for the vet to look at. After that I move healthy and spayed/neutered animals from the holding cages to adoptions. After a 10 minute break I clean and disinfect the cages in the receiving department. Again, I check the animals health and ensure that they are taking their medications.

*At this job I learned a lot about team work, we all need to work together to get the job done, if one person is missing/sick then the rest of the crew needs to pick up the slack.

*Management at this job is fantastic, my direct manager is always available to talk to if staff is having a particularly hard day. They will work with employees to ensure that they aren't burning out and are coping well with the job, which can occasionally be emotionally draining.

*For the most part my co-worker have been awesome, the ones that really enjoy the work and get a lot out of it at least. Of course there are some people who don't know what they are signing up for when they apply for the job, they tend to not stick around long. But the ones who do stick are all good, caring, and committed people.

*The hardest part of the job is seeing the sick or abused animals that come in. On occasion we do have to assist in euthanasia for the ones that are too far gone and suffering. It's very emotionally taxing.

*The most enjoyable part of the job is when we get ahead
  more... with our work and have time to spend socializing the animals or grooming them.  less
Pros
Interaction with animals, relaxed work environment, compassionate co-workers.
Cons
Low pay, occasionally emotionally difficult, physical work that is hard on the body, risk of being bit.
If you love animals, this works for you, but prepare to be tired when you get home.
Kennel Technician/ Receiving Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTNovember 15, 2013
I was young and dumb when I worked here, but they put up with me for the most part, I would love to work here again. I am absolutely a dog person, and working with dogs all day made my heart and soul sing. Have you ever met a dog or cat person that thinks their way of doing this is the ONLY way, and they look down on you for everything you do if it is different at all? well...you MAY run into a few of those people here. The overwhelming majority of people are kind, grounded, animal loving weirdos that will help you get your job done and make it not so bad that you are cleaning up dog poo for 8 hours a day. At the time I was suffering from crippling social anxiety, so I had a hard time making friends there (or anywhere at that time) I would love to do it again with my new, less anxious self.
Pros
ANIMALS! mostly nice people
Cons
holier-than-thou attitudes, poo
A/r
A/R Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2013
Handled incoming finances.
Desk job, part time.
picked up mail, counted money, deposited money.
The Pet Lovers Club at the Humane Society
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTMay 15, 2013
I've never been around such a different group of people in looks, personalities, goals, passions, lifestyles, etc - who all come together in the unyielding love for animals. The Humane Society is a place where animals are not forgotten. They are always fed, always washed, always clean, and always loved. Bedding, bowls, toys, and kennels are cleaned every day with the donation of so much from the strangers of the community. Being able to take care of an animal, much less than a whole building of animals, really opens your eyes and puts you somewhere outside of yourself. It teaches you how to be genuine, thoughtful, and selfless. Animals and humans will never speak the same language fluent, but you learn how many more new and exciting ways you CAN communicate.
Loved working for the well being of animals in need.
Outreach Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTOctober 18, 2012
I started the day preparing animals and vehicles for transportaion to local pet stores. I transported them to stores and processed adoptions on site. I learned more basic training skills for dogs. I learned how to educate the public on the importance of spaying/neutering their animals. As well as how to properly research the breed/type of animal they wished to have before adpoting to ensure it would fit their lifestyle. My co-workers taught me new things every day about animals and their needs/behaviors. The hardest part of the job was seeing animals who weren't adoptable because of neglect or abuse. The best part of my job was seeing the animals after adpotion. They were happy and healthy. It was rewarding that they still recognized me and almost gave thanks for helping them find their forever homes.
good
Kennel tech (Former Employee) –  murray utAugust 25, 2012
employees are great some managers are not insurance was great
Pros
employees and animal
Cons
some management