Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Found 1,458 reviews matching the search See all 1,463 reviews
If you want to learn a great trade and get paid.
Structural Welder/repair weld jobs (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 10, 2018
This company is a good company to work for if you would like to learn a new trade and get paid while you learn. The pay is not bad. You get paid weekly and plenty of overtime.You start out at $17hr. There are days that are fast pace but also has some slow days. But you get this honor and pride knowing that you are building the newest in State of the are Ships for our country. lots of chances to advance once you been in the yard for a year and off probation period.
Great company to work for
Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSDecember 10, 2018
Ingalls is a great place to work for I was actually sad that it was to much for my body. The company was great and so was the people there. I would recommend this company to anyone. they really do care.
Pros
benifits
Cons
parking
Excellent Company
Administration Generalist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 3, 2018
Excellent company to work for with great benefits medical and dental, competitive pay, advance opportunities and allows you room to grow. Not to mention that they will also pay for you to further your education.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Work summary
Strategic Sourcing Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 3, 2018
My previous experience at was a great one. The company allowed me to grow in many ways within and beyond the supply chain. The company allowed me to work on many projects with partners throughout the organization and with partners outside of the organization. The company allowed me to commit money in order to make completing the mission possible.
I leaned the art of negotiation and how to lead a negation team with other other team members.
Pros
Great team in strategic sourcing
Cons
Coperation is not always available so you have to get very creative in meeting project goals.
Not a terrible workplace
First-Class Sheet Metal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSDecember 2, 2018
Not a terrible place to work.like all companies ingalls has it areas where it could use improvement. Some examples are the first line supervision can not focus on pushing their crew because they have to play the 'numbers' game. The second area that need s addressing is the advancement opportunity. If you don't know the right people, it is impossible to advance.
A nice place to work but favoritism gets you a long way
Material support (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 1, 2018
It’s a good place if you know someone that works here and you want to move up. It’s a good place to work especially if you don’t don’t get your feelings attached to it or the employees.
Pros
Pt
Cons
Favoritism
Good experience
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time here at the Newport News Shipbuilding. It did have its moments where I didn’t feel like being there, but I haven’t had one job where I didn’t say, “Man, I just don’t feel like doing this, today”. Time here at the shipyard really helped improve my welding skills. Now, every job has its downsides. One of the down sides in the yard consists of spies. People who watch you and tell on you. Being new to the company, it could be really difficult to tell who is who. One more thing. If you are not liked by your supervisor, they will attempt to get rid of you, by any way they can. Even if you’ve done nothing wrong. And if you don’t know your ish, they’ll win every time.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful at times
okay job
Outside Machinist (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 29, 2018
It was an okay job. There were alot of problems with supervisors and other issues. The company does tend to care more about the work than the employees.
Good pay bad management
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 28, 2018
This place loves to fire people over insignificant things, theyeven tellyou several times during orientation "there is someone with their name for your job". No place should be like that, pay is good though. people I worked with were alright. But the management and fire happy personnel is ridiculous.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else.
stressful
Outside Machinist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 25, 2018
it was a place to have income i dont the its for the people that cant stand to work in cold and hot enviroments but you can makes lots of money if you can endure
Productive,fast-paced & will train
Welder (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 24, 2018
I enjoy working here,everyone is hands on and helpful. They make sure you're trainec well before being put on site. If you live out of state,some states have vans that will pick you and transport you to the job site.
Extremely stressful, never can succeed
Shipfitter apprentice (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 20, 2018
The environment is one in which the goals never seem achievable and there is never enough support to get the job done. The materials required to produce work are consistently lacking. This places too much stress on the workers and their immediate leadership to do super-human things to get the job done. The people are great and can do anything if given a chance.
Pros
Pay
Cons
stress, lack of materials and support
Fast paced, strict.
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula,ms.November 19, 2018
I enjoyed working there. The working conditions could be improved. When it's cold it's freezing. When it's hot you feel like you're gonna die. Need ac and heaters. Some foremans are cool but some are straight A-holes. They give you vacation after 1 year it increases after5 years. The company is filthy, don't think you'll come home clean. Over all its a good company to work for. But when they lay off, you are just another number.
Very productive
Sheetmetal HA (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 17, 2018
It taught me ins and out about building a ship wleding sheet metal using angle technology hard work and being yourself overall it's a great company and I would advise any one to work there
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Tiring work
n/a
First-Class Sheet Metal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 15, 2018
Effectively function as a highly versatile craftsman responsible for fabricating, assembling and installing a wide variety of components on Surface Ships, including, but are not limited to ventilation systems, metal joiner bulkheads and framing, furniture, cabinetry, lockers, ladders and handrails, foundations, weapons spaces and wet spaces
Proficiently and safely operate a variety of hand tools and power tools/equipment to include drills, rivet guns, grinders, miter saws, band saws, nibblers, plasma arc cutters, rollers, shears, press brakes and CNC fabricators\
Successfully completed formal and on-the-job training (basic sheet metal/tack welding) as well as any job specific training requirements
Reliable and Depressing
Pipe Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 13, 2018
You can live your entire life working here. Even if it's an unhappy one. Must attend their apprentice school if you want to advance. Be here for 11 hours on first shift, but only get paid for 8 (do to parking). Surprised they don't have hall passes to use the restroom. More concerned about image than production. I could go on.
Pros
Job Security, Decent Pay, Holidays/Vacation Days, Healthcare, 401k.
Cons
No home/work balance, Poor Management, Poor Planning, Limited Advancement, Poor Working Conditions.
Overall great place to work
Metrology Tech III Dimensional Control 068 (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 12, 2018
Typical day was getting my job assignment, reviewing the files and drawings, collecting data and processing. I learned they fundamentals of metrology. Department management seems to work on The Two List principal. There's a list that you want to be on and one you don't. Verbalizing opinions and honest assessments tends to label you as negative which will land you on the list you don't want to be on. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the trades we support. Jobs will be "ready" to survey but when you arrive to do the job you cant. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually watching something come together from a piece of steel to a warship/submarine, Its a good feeling that you get when something so massive goes out to defend the country.
good
Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 11, 2018
a great company for growth came in at a young age it changed my way of thinking as a young man. A lot hands on man work habit, teachers and training from the start
Huntington Ingalls provided A great way for me to takecare of my family.
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 9, 2018
I have a 15 year career with Huntington Ingalls. It has provide a way for me to take care of my family and set a foundation for my future. It is a fantastic place to work with benefits that are superior to most companies. i would receive my work assignment and work to the deadline given. we would have staffs meetings weekly to track progress. I learned many things to add to my skillset. From new software and applications to time management. One of the hardest parts of the aspects of the job is sometimes the atmosphere can be dictated by the actions of a few. But along with that, the people are what make the company so great.
Pros
Flexible Daytime Work Schedule
Cons
Protocol is not always followed
Productive and quick paced company
Sheet Metal Worker (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 9, 2018
A fast paced learning working environment that gives you chances to learn new skills and trades with having training on the work site along with great work benefits