Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Found 1,419 reviews matching the search See all 1,423 reviews
Productivity is job one as well as safety.
X11 Shipwright (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 18, 2018
I learned a great deal about several different trades in my career at Huntington Ingalls Shipyard Newport News. I learned how to ship fit which would have steel carpentry also shipwright work and safety. Even using various tools for different jobs. Training preparation qualifications were a must. I also got trained in several different other trades such as painting, deck tile work, insulation, cleaning and Pumper. Also the coordination of multiple trades to meet deadlines in construction of a naval vessel from start to finish as well as overhaul.
Pros
The pros of working at Huntington Ingalls Shipyard, were I an Progressive pay scale, multiple benefits, opportunity to advance education, and longevity
Cons
The cons were mandatory overtime and politics.
Management???
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2018
Want a synopsis of management? My Basset Hound has a better understanding of management concepts than those mindless morons. Their egos cash checks that their actual intelligence and ability can't cover. Seek employment ANYWHERE but HII.
Pros
Cons
Many
Excellent Job
Ship Fitter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 15, 2018
I loved working this job because it was trade that i never experienced before. Learning how to weld was very fun for me and while learning how to weld i met some great people. A typical day of work there is reporting to he boss where he gives you instructions on what to do. Our job was tack welding so we tack welded ship parts that were assigned to the US NAVY when completed.
Only a good place if you’re male.
First Class Marine Electrician (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSOctober 13, 2018
Female s aren’t treated the same. There are numerous cases of harassment, sexual, verbal, or physical, from females and most of the reporting females end up fired or demoted in some fashion, while the male receives no reprimand for harassment.
Management would rather keep the safety of their contracts upheld, than the safety of the employees.
Human Resources and Labor Relations are biased and only favor white men. All homosexuals are treated like second rate citizens and there are less opportunities for minorities of race. There are practically no advancement or advantages for women.
Pros
Good pay. Tuition reimbursement for selected courses, only with approval of management.
Cons
Everything. This place is terrible.
never work there again
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIOctober 12, 2018
i will never work there again. because i burnt my thumbs well working on the line. I will never work at that kind of factory again. its to hard to work at.
Mixed bag
IT Project Manager 5 (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 11, 2018
NNS was an awesome place to work and still is for some people. Facilities is the best division. Operations is evolving and getting better (still some old school bubbas to overcome). IT is a disaster. People in IT get rotated so often that no one knows what others are doing. A couple years back the IT org was flattened and ruined the internal careers of all who got a title change. Internal Managers see the supposed demotion and do not know why it happened, just assume there is something wrong with the candidate.
Pros
Best benefits in the area hands down, Job security - people work here their entire career, There are periodic lay-offs but they mostly focus on non performers or trades without seniority
Cons
No career advancement if you got caught in the IT retitling event, Work some people to death and cast aside, Hand out Project manager titles like candy to people with no qualifications
Productive workplace but many flaws
Stage builder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 10, 2018
Very little opportunity for overtime work. Good coworkers however. Definitely keep your personal business away from the workplace. Some of the upper management of course are unfair in the division of overtime, workloads.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unfair treatment from Upper management
not worth the pay
Insulator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 9, 2018
I had to get up at three o clock just to get to work at seven o clock. The parking is horrible and the heat on the carrier was terrible. I definitely would never ever go back.
no room for advancement in many departments - good ole boy system
Quality Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSOctober 8, 2018
no room for advancement in many departments. only "some" people have to meet certain requirements in order to advance. Most job postings already have someone to fill the position before it's posted. Often, making applying a moot point.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
chances for career advancement are slim
Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 5, 2018
FANTASTIC opportunities for upward movement within departments as well as vacation time sick leave and the possibility of working plenty of over-time with double time Sundays
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Wether
The managers need training on how to manage
Warehouse Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSOctober 4, 2018
The work is fairly easy . The managers make the job stressful. I love my job but have only had 1 boss that I actually liked in the 5 years that I have been here.
Pros
pay and time off
Cons
micromanaging and culture
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 1, 2018
Good place to work with a lot of room for growth. Very demanding but rewarding. Hardest part of job is rotating shifts. Every day was something different new experiences.
Shipyard
Nuclear Refueler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 1, 2018
A typical day at the shipyard consist of clocking in getting the day started. The upper management team have their morning briefings and what their expectatiojns or goals are to be met for that day then the mechanics and the supervisor for that particular crew meets in the morning also for morning briefings pertaining to the job assigned for the day and also preparing material for the job. I can say that the shipyard is a good place to work especially for students coming out of high school that they can get exeperience in a trade or even joining the apprenticeship program to further thier education. The hardest part of the job is at the end of the day when you're trying to clean and gather your material from the job youve recently worked and also going home in one piece brcause the shipyard in my opinion is a dangerous place to work if you're not aware of your surroundings.The most enjoyable part of the job is when accompish the task for that day...Confidence is the key.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
benefits not that great
A challenging career with rewarding opportunities
X35 Electrician (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 29, 2018
Working at Huntington Ingalls Inc. is both challenging and rewarding. Challenging because the work is different on a daily basis so you have to plan your day after it starts with your given assignment. Material is available when assignment is tasked out and specified amount of work can be accomplished in the given time frame. The reward comes in from a forty hour paycheck, 401k, and insurances at reasonable rates. The greatest reward is the people you work with on a daily basis.
Pros
Eight hour workday, Safe work environment
Cons
Short lunch period54
Not for everyone
Nuclear Refueler (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 26, 2018
Had some issues with a makeup supervisor her had me released from work while on probation cause he simply could. I would not be outspoken here while on your 120 day probation period.
Pros
Cons
there are many
Has potential to be dream work place, just needs more attention from upper management and union
X32 sheet metal (MIP) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 26, 2018
It definitely was an learning experience. I was able to acquire several qualifications,one allowed me to work in the lab. The crew was cool, I learned a lot
not a bad company to work for
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 25, 2018
I have worked here for about 7 months now and the work life balance
is dim but the pay is pretty good. A lot of moving parts in the company and not enough people to complete the job.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
work/personal life balance
productive and fun
Ship Fitter 2st Class (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day starts at 6 am with a quick briefing. After that you go work just like any other job. You have to be careful not to be caught slacking off or you will get the boot. They are very serious about working and missing time.
Good company to work for
Scaffold Builder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 25, 2018
Good money an people to work for. The only bad thing is the traffic. Over time if you want it but can have your weekends off if you want it. Company will help you out if you ask for help.
Benefits
Cons
Traffic
Best place to work
First Class Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 25, 2018
I love working there best place to work they have a lot of work and a lot of over time to work if you want to and a lot of opportunity to move up in the company with great benefits.