Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Painter
Painter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 21, 2018
Painter for Newport News Shipyard, I learned how to prepare and paint rooms more efficiently using a variety of tools ranging from brushes to rollers. While at the shipyard, I worked aboard the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln tearing out old insulation and installing new insulation. In this position, I learned how to prepare and paint ceilings, walls, and trims. I can do this with paint brushes, rollers, and sprayers. Power tool.
Grinding, Sanding, Light LaboR
it was fun to work their
Maintenance Oiler (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMay 20, 2018
Huntington is a good and fair place work their many culture of peoples work at Huntington Ingalls , it is a enjoyable place to work and I loved my job I learn a lot on jobs training you have different job opportunity and the most enjoyable part of my job is overtime I didn't have any problem turn your life around with management they give you chances I made a Big change in my life I have been clean 2 years 6 months this is what I think and fill about Huntington Ingalls ship yard Pascagoula MS THANK YOU
Productive and fun company to work for
Environmental Health and Safety Analyst/EMT (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMay 17, 2018
Great company to work for. This company provides a great compensation package along with a warm and inviting environment. They provide jobs to many of the families in their area.
Poor management
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 10, 2018
Did not allow new hires time for appointments or personal life situations. Lack or management concern when dealing with workers wanting to advance and pursue better work conditions.
Pros
Available work
Cons
Not good for advancement
Excited and very educational
cleaner material handler/ Make up superviour (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 7, 2018
It's a good job for people to learn new things because you always amazed what goes on in the yard they train you stand by you and make sure you know your just don't get hurt that's a whole another story
long walk to you ship
osm (Former Employee) –  MississippiMay 5, 2018
they would give a job sheet and you would be off to the boat some time you would be waiting all day for them to get you the right stuff for the job, that a day there
Cons
was great if you were a member of the good ole boys club, apprentice school or poquoson neighborhood.
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 3, 2018
it was a pay check. but management was not the best. no consideration was given to family hardship. what I learned is if you wanted to do well you had to make your boss feel like he was a god. and the most enjoyable part of the job was going home.
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Avondale, LAApril 24, 2018
The typical day was encouraging, preparing team to begin the day on a less stressful note. Review the previous day assignment and management preparing team how to face the challenges for the da y head. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is communication, how ever, the job becomes enjoyable when the team the team communicate well.
Pros
no comments
Cons
no comments
Low stress, but boring place to work
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Avondale, LAApril 24, 2018
As a contractor for HII I do not find myself challenged. The work is not complex or interesting, but for contractors the pay is good. Direct employees are compensated well below industry standards.
Engineer
Electrical Controls Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 23, 2018
Great company to work for, however, the location is not the best if you like to participate in activities after work. There is also a very large age gap among the employees.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Advancement takes time.
Family oriented place
Admin Functional Support (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 23, 2018
Family, work-life balance, love, love, love my BOSS.. I love that fact that he and I get along very well. I take pride in my job and making sure I'm committed to doing it well 1000%
Alright place to work
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 22, 2018
HII is an ok place to work but it lacks clear paths for advancement and the pay when compared to the amount of work performed is low. Pay is normally why people leave the company because it is not on track with the average.
Huntington Ingall industry (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 19, 2018
Great place to work with great benefits. Weather is okay but they are building warehouse to eliminate bad weather conditions. Great management paid vacations
Pros
Union and pay raises every year with bonuses
Cons
Do have lay offs when production gets slow
busy enviormental work place
Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 19, 2018
busy, hot days, depending on the climate
learned how to weld, and follow instructions
consisten supervirsors
mixed wokplace
theres no hard part of the job
gettin off
no comment
Insulator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 15, 2018
there is a lack of management in this company, they expect more out of you than what they capable of doing themselves, its not fair and it needs to change.
benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
comfortable place to earn a living.
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Avondale, LA 70094April 14, 2018
Great place to work. Coworkers were like family. Safety was first and foremost. Management respected their subordinates, and always was conscience of their personal needs and obligations.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Antiquated facility
nice and helpful enviroment
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 13, 2018
i loved every min of working at ingalls ship building i actually wish i would have stayed there and grew with the company cause they helped me become a better soldier
Pros
three min lunch
Cons
no cons
I have reviewed my summary
Insulation Installer/tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 12, 2018
I worked at Huntington Ingalls for 35 years and it was a great place to work until they allowed inexperince people to become managers and the buddy buddy system to ruin how the company was previously structure. Over the years the hardest part of the job was just being motivated enough to go everyday. Engaging and interacting with co workers was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of discipline in the workplace
Welder
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 10, 2018
As a welder at the shipyard is very difficult. You will have to learn all the welding they use in the yard. Here at the shipyard the rules are strictly followable
Great place
Tank Tester/Grinder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 10, 2018
I have worked on and off for 3 years with this company they have great benefits for my family and I have learned a lot in the process of my career while I was there.