Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,363 reviews matching the search See all 1,367 reviews
Good Opportunities. Steady Income. Solid benefits.
Material Support (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 14, 2018
If you don't have a skillset, rainbow-flavoured work-history or a college education then you can appreciate the initial wages, available training and benefits this company offers.
Pros
Healthcare, Tuition Assistance, Legal Package, Vacation & Discounts.
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks, No Dental Insurance, Horrible Parking, Harsh Working Conditions, Unfair Wages for Support Pay.
Joiner
Steel Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSAugust 13, 2018
Great company once you get your foot in the door. Unfortunately, Ingalls is still in the practice of the Good Ole Boy network. You better know someone if you plan to advance or swap departments.
The days there are long and hot or long and cold -A typcial day depending on your location, you will get up in the way early morning hours to be there by 6AM and be prepared for the Ingalls 500 at 2:30.
As with any employer there is favortism at the Pascagoula ship yard. The management per each department is liken unto that of a communists state (you either do just like they want or they will weed you out quickly)
On the flip side, it is weekly pay, a few paid holidays are thrown in there through the year and of course the 2 weeks off at the end of they year.
Would I recommend Ingalls-Pasacgoula for employment. Yes.
Pros
salary and time off
Cons
Daily and constant treats about termination and/or write ups
Was the best career I ever had
Engineering Technician III (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 10, 2018
I loved the fact that my time at HII-NNS was filled with enormous opportunities to grow as a professional. I was always challenged everyday and was eager to prove myself capable of accomplishing these tasks. The workplace culture was that of teamwork and along the way I have made lifelong friends. I was quite upset the day I was laid off but business is business and if that's what it takes to succeed, then I have accepted that fact. I hope to return one day and pick up where I left off and that was building the BEST ships in the world.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay, teamwork
Cons
there's always cons...
it was laid back as long as u did your job
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSAugust 9, 2018
the formen would tell me were to go and i would weld out pipe and pull to the next job now i learned alot about osha and there rules the management was very poor i was ready for 230
Pros
have the right tool to work
Cons
dealing with other welders
It’s a nice place to start a career
Shipfitter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 8, 2018
It’s a safe work environment, on the job training. Just don’t miss time and you’ll be fine, that’s the fastest way to get terminated. Overtime is usually available But it’s not mandatory.
Great Advancement
Planner/Scheduler2 (Former Employee) –  1000 jerry st pete HighwayAugust 8, 2018
Ingalls started off as a busy paste.
it's a challenge every morning you start your shift.
Management did not communicate often.
great place to work.
the weekend was the most enjoyable part of my job.
years at HII - Newport news shipbuilding
Logistcs Support 3 (sr logistics analyst) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 6, 2018
In 44 years I have worked various jobs, 1st in a mail room, next an electrical apprenticeship , trades training, then on to supporting engineers. goo place to earn a living
Pros
good coworkers, decent pay, regular hours, interesting work
Cons
degrees, less experience preferred over long service and detication
my opinion
Welder/ Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 2, 2018
Received my training while there, however, the politically correctness and the advancement of people based on ethnicity and not ability is something that occurs over and over again. For fear of being sued they advance the under-performing and people lose their jobs quicker for a lie then anywhere else.
Great Place to Work
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 1, 2018
It's a really great place to work. Like anything it can depend on exactly where you are but there are plenty of opportunities. I enjoy working the people on my team.
Na
Machine Operator/Outside Machinist (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula River Estates, MSJuly 30, 2018
I worked with a contractor and did a lot of walking to and from the ship but the job included removing valves from ship , breaking down and repairing any thing that needed to be fixed
Very Restrictive Workplace
Senior Naval Architect (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 30, 2018
Promotions for senior employees are non-existent. Good benefits and pay, but very little employee consideration.

As an engineer, most become specialist in a small particular field.
It's a decent place to work with great job security.
Nuclear Pipe Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 29, 2018
Welders are underpaid. Parking is horrible. You have to show up 2 to 3 hours before your shift to get a decent spot. You learn how to be the best at what you do. Management is good.
Cons
Everyone gets paid the same. Whether you are skilled or non-skilled.
People were always willing to help you
Outside mahinist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 27, 2018
During my time at the company I got to learn alote of new stuff that i will take with me. The people were friendly and always cheerful for the most part.
Good money
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 26, 2018
Parking is terrible the walk in and out everyday is very monotonous management does their best while trying to manage thousands of people at the same time really pushy Foreman's always going for their bonuses
Tough work environment with poor management
O68 Planning Services Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 24, 2018
Just poor management all across the board! You work hard to please your management and work your way up and then they just forget about you and leave you hanging out to dry. You become management and work people and then they pay people with less responsibility more........
Stressful place to work
X18 Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 24, 2018
Typical day at work expect to be watched many times throughout the shift. Expect to be audited at any moment. Always follow procedures. NEVER miss time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Just minimum benefits to make someone stay there.
Very capable Managers
Liaison Production Engineer/Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 23, 2018
Very good company to work for with very capable Managers.
Compensation was good. worked with Quality personnel.
Meetings were kept to a minimum and if you had an issue it would be addressed quickly and accordingly
Hii-nns
NUCLEAR ENGINEER I (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 22, 2018
Pays Salary Overtime
Can Flex out your pay periods with manager approval

There is a general negative attitude towards the shipyard.
Does not reward employee loyalty with appropriate compensation/advancement opportunities.

Seems to be a place to pad your experience, and move on to a better opportunity.
Pros
Pays Salary Overtime
Great Company to work for!!
Patternmaker Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 22, 2018
The day to day work is always different. There is a lot to learn at this company. Management I have come in contact with has been great. The hardest part of the job would be the hours because you have to get there several hours before the start of your shift for parking
Typical work day
Pipefitter, Machinist and Pipefitter Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 22, 2018
A typical work day was 8 hours a day full of excitement. I did maintenance work every day.
I learned how to be a pipefitter. I learned a lot from the older guys on the job. They were kind and very helpful.
Management guys was helpful when I needed a helping hand,
The culture was a mixture. The hardest part of the job was working during a Hurricane. The most enjoyable part of my job was working overtime.
Pros
Vacation and insurance
Cons
Hot in summer and cold in the winter