Huntington Ingalls Industries Employee Reviews

Found 1,508 reviews matching the search See all 1,514 reviews
Overall Good Place to Work
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSFebruary 15, 2019
I enjoy the ability to work remotely occasionally and use flex time, but that depends on who your boss is. Some managers do not allow their employees to do this. I wish the training was better. Usually you learn new processes by figuring them out yourself when you find out it is your responsibility.
Terrible place to work- let the retention rate speak for itself
Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 13, 2019
Management varies, but mine is hands off and really doesn't do anything. Very much a place where people alienate eachother in groups. Nothing gets done all day. The processes and procedures are constantly changing for the worse while pressures from upper management keep increasing. The job description is always changing and tacking on new responsibilities, but the pay is still garbage.

All the above is pretty typical and can happen anywhere.

The reason I am writing a terrible review for this company is the HR department.

It has taken me a full year to be reimbursed for an expense. They didn't budge on my pitiful salary when I negotiated for 4 or 5k more than I have. "Merit" raises are actually less than a COL raise (typically 2%). A promotion form level 1 to 2 for most positions is literally 7% and could take years to get.

Here's the best part;
I applied for another position or two. HR offers an interview about a month later for each. I have the interviews which go extremely well. I'm told that they may bring me on at my current rate until a salary can get approved (oh... no). I sit back and wait for the process to work its way. I send followup emails to the hiring managers thanking them and offering to clear up any ambiguities- receive no responses. Three weeks later, I basically again write the hiring managers and subordinates also in the interview to check up on the hiring process and also thank them for the interview. Still NO RESPONSE. 3 months pass and I am receiving emails from HR telling me to hang in there and that I'm still in the game. I write back
  more... to HR asking about the timeline and they give me a generic "these things take time".

Done. I'm leaving.

There's ageism all over the place and the culture is super stingy. There's an hour glass workforce because everyone with high-school degrees can't leave and every kid who just graduated college can't wait to leave.
Pros
excellent work life balance, even if PTO is a little on the small side
Cons
See the review. Don't work here if you can help it.
Great work experience
Facilities Planner (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2019
Great Culture, I worked around good team members. It made work enjoyable and not stressful. Working hours were great(6-2:30). The company offers many opportunities to advance my career through education. The hardest part of the job was parking but pay made up for that and working around a good group of individuals.
After 6 years of working there it was apparent that they really did not care about you.
Structural Welder (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 11, 2019
I started working there in one trade, and switched after 4 years in hopes things would get better. They didn't. You are just a number there. They seem to work harder trying to fire you than anything else. They management only cares about themselves.
Pros
Good pay and overtime
Cons
Breaks are frowned upon, management is bad, parking is bad
Job
DECK ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 9, 2019
Your basic job. Does get really old in winter on boat and really hot in the summer. A lot of lifting and walking and standing. Consistant pace type of job. They provide all training required.
work
Trades assistant (Current Employee) –  san diegoFebruary 7, 2019
good hard working crew most of the time. some people always find a way to slack off but most the guys are good to work around. everyone is about getting the job done.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
not best pay
Stressful with a USN Military culture
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  VAFebruary 7, 2019
The work is great! Enjoyed the variety of tasks/assignments given. the Administrative's are shown disrespect and are looked upon and treated as the scum of the earth. Management protect each other, even when they disobey the company values.
Pros
If you get to work for a fair and a real God fearing boss, you have it made. You get to create real friendship
Cons
Healthcare doesn't cover a lot, you have to come out of your pocket and pay much more than you anticipated, USN culture protect each other, even when they don't uphold to the Company's core values, Lack of respect.
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 6, 2019
Excellent place to work, gain tons on knowledge plus training in the field! I would recommend anyone that is willing to relocate to make nn shipbuilding there choice of employment!!!
Great management
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 1, 2019
As a government contractor with HII, it is always hard to get to know the managers in corporate however HII always makes a point to get to know the employees.
Productive workplace. Friendly and productive coworkers.
Senior Nuclear Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 30, 2019
Workdays are comprised of onsite investigation of issues to determine extent of repairs to be made, followed by material ordering and work plan preparation.
I learned what is required to prepare and submit estimates for work to be performed.
Management worked to provide materials and guidance needed to perform my job.
The culture is one of coordination and determination to achieve operate a safe and efficient workplace.
Pros
Excellent coworkers.
Cons
Salary
It was a great job to have at the time the pay was good people were friendly
Inventory/Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJanuary 29, 2019
The job was a good place to work for great employees good supervisor did the job to the best of my abilities enjoyed the job everyone was friendly everyone got along the job was not difficult to do picking and packing and preparing for shipment everyone worked as a team
Pros
Sometimes everyone would have lunch together and the company paid for lunch
Cons
Sometimes the hours were long
Great place of employment.
Sheet Metal Mechanic, welder/fabricator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 29, 2019
I’ve always wanted to work in this field of work. Took a while for me to get here but I’m here and very happy to be here. Heard so much negativities about this place but I honestly don’t hear nor see what others complain about.
Ingalls
Director / Manager of Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJanuary 28, 2019
Too many meetings...

Current culture not conducive to growth, unless you are one of the chosen.

Current engagement has declined under present leadership.
Unchallenging
Electrical buyer, major equipment and piping (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 27, 2019
Work is boring and repetitive. No advancement or raises after a point. Culture is for young workers. Manangement is short sighted and doesn't plan for parking or seating for employees.
Pros
pays some bills
Cons
have to work a second job
Productive environment
X67 Coatings Inspector Instructor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 24, 2019
I enjoy working with Huntington Ingalls Industries. I have had the opportunity to provide quality control and assurance on Aircraft Carriers and Submarines.
Great Place to get experience.
Mechanical Engineer 2 (Submarine Fleet Support) (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 23, 2019
Great Place to get experience. Parking sucks you may have to pay monthly if you don't plan on getting in at 5:30a to wait on a parking spot, the parking lots fill up fast. The work is steady. My mangers are awesome, though I have heard horror stories about other managers in the Engineering department.
Pros
Steady work and great experience gainer.
Cons
parking, pay
Rigger/Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 22, 2019
Working there was different each day. Fast paced but downtime occasionally. Once hired on a shift, hard to transfer to a different one. A lot of opportunities in different departments.
Pros
Multiple opportunities
Cons
Lack of parking
Great place to make money
Welder; Welding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 21, 2019
Huntington Ingalls is a great place to work and to advance your education in the shipbuilding world. It’s full of different cultures of people with a variety of knowledge of the job with a variety of skill sets.
Pros
Can make a lot of money and a great career path
Cons
Cold Hot and sometimes long hours
I don’t feel like I can grow within
Radiological Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2019
I’ve worked numerous projects displaying leadership traits and even been recognized by multiple supervisors as a studious,hard working, team playing, abide by the rules kinda guy. When it comes to getting promoted my management doesn’t influence personnel on what they should do to get promoted which makes it difficult to fulfill what’s required.
Pros
Lots of overtime if you want it
Cons
No management mentoring
Money is good
Marine Painter (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2019
It was a great job. Good benefits. Some good people who work there. Great opportunity to move up. Put in 7 years. Laid off once. But they are an overall good company to work for. Would recommend