Hurley Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great learning experience for a intern
IT Technical Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 11, 2018
If you are an intern of any kind this is a great place to learn and gain experience. the staff is friendly and helpful and there is always someone to ask if you have a question
Decent hospital and strong willed co-workers
Intensive Care Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 6, 2018
Had a good team at Hurley, but the groups of people were clique-ee. I learned a lot starting out in the ICU, but soon learned that management does not have our backs as nurses. Political issues get tied up in my day-to-day care of patients and I did not want any part of that. They have yet to settle on a union contract with over 2 years in negotiation, not to mention they failed to mention information about benefits during my hiring phase.
not a good place to work
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 30, 2018
There is a lot of favoritism in this workplace. I do not recommend people to work here for the fact they do not care about the employees. There is a lot of favoritism and prejudice there.
Lost that loving feeling
RN (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 10, 2018
Current culture is not friendly. Union vs Manager is always a battle. As anywhere, beware of who you trust. Breaks are a joke; there are none. Stay focused on helping others and try to rise above. This is much harder than it sounds.
It's a good place to work.
Insurance Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 9, 2018
A typical day is contacting customers, trying to obtain workman's compensation insurance, and or automobile claim information, in order to ensure payment for Medical Center. Receiving calls regarding prices of different service for patients who has no health insurance. Works with various surgeons & dr. office notifying them if patient has no health insurance, or make them aware I'm trying to assist them in getting some in order for them to have their procedure. Completes 2565 for patients who has a Medicaid Spenddown which if patient meets their deductible, the insurance will turn into full Medicaid for that month. Usage of various computer systems in order to verify insurance, complete form on Champs, use of Web Denis, EPIC, etc., Assists patients with completing Personal Injury Protection application, thru Michigan Assigned Claims Plan, in order for the state of Michigan to do investigation to see if patient has no auto insurance, or does not qualify for any, according to the Order of Priority thru the State of Michigan. If patient qualifies, he/she will be assigned to auto carrier to him/her via the State of Michigan, in order to pay all medical expenses related to an auto accident.
Customer Service
Communication Operator (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 9, 2018
Great job with Hurley, I was with Kelly Services, I learned a lot within the medical field. Great management, nice people to work with. I found it kind of hard with learning the codes. I did end up being good with it.
Fast paced and family oriented
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Flint, MI 48503April 3, 2018
I highly recommend Hurley Medical Center to those individual who are seeking growth and development. Hurley is a great learning and teaching hospital.
Pros
Excellent pay, flexible hours, great management, great learning opportunites, well-deserved diverse population
Cons
still going through contract negotiations for nurses
Horrible, Incompetent Management, Backstabbing, threatening
RN BSN/CHARGE (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 2, 2018
I would never refer ANYONE to work at Hurley. If you are intelligent and believe in patient advocacy, not the place for you. If you are a sheep that obeys every command, have fun until they want rid of you.
used to be a great place to work, to much contraversy crowds the building.
Registered Nurse, BSN (Current Employee) –  house float, med/surg, icu, ED, Mother?BabyMarch 30, 2018
to much controversy surrounding contract negations, no raise in almost 3 years. i work with many great people and feel the work we do is appreciated and important for the community. as nurses we have quite a few road blocks, mostly it's the union leaders. i feel it's time for a change and since I am not in a position to be a change agent, I will move along on my own.
Pros
fellow nurses are great
Cons
no room for advancement, make the same amount as a graduate nurse and i've been their for 5 years.
Do not work here
ER RN/BSN General Duty Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 5, 2018
Management does not respect anything staff does. They only care about making money. The motto of "Clinical Excellence. Service to People." is all lip service.
fast paced
Certified Sterile Processing Tech (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 27, 2018
I feel this place could benefit from different facilities on ideas on how to implement new tasks and work duties. I find this facility to need a little more TLC.
A horrible place to work.
Intensive Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 14, 2018
I was threatened and retailiated against for reporting a nurse taking drugs from one patient and giving them to another. The environment was hostile and I had to leave for mental health stability.
Great Place, Poor Leadership
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 5, 2018
There are a lot of great employees that work there. Unfortunately due poor leadership, politics and dishonesty I would never recommend it to anyone I know. They do not value, appreciate or even look out for their employees. Managers treating staff unfair with disciplines, expectations and creating drama and distrust. Managers and Sr. Leadership do not follow the same rules as everyone else and are not held to the same standards as the employees below them.

Hurley is a great hospital and does a lot with the community. However, they need to listen, acknowledge and care about their hard working employees. Managers and Leadership should be held to the same standards as everyone else. I have never seen such drama created by a Manager in my career.
Benefits
Cons
Poor and dishonest leadership
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 31, 2017
Great place to work, advancement is always welcomed and encouraged. Great benefits, friendly staff. Positive reinforcement, variety of cultures and backgrounds. Coworkers are easy to get along with.
Safety
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 29, 2017
Lots of information to give awesome service to patients but not enough staff to do it Top of the line equipment but not enough people to repair them lots of i services but during your job takes from patients and you are rushed the entire test of your day
Benefits
Cons
Short staff
it is a hospital
Transcriptionist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 12, 2017
you treat patients that are sick it was a good company to work for treatment of patients and employees seeing how sick some of the patients were and the benefit of seeing them leaving well or healthy the hard was knowing there maybe some you cant help
Pros
working together
Cons
help was always needed
It is a good place to work.
Insurance Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 8, 2017
A typical day @ work is trying to assist any patient with help, as needed. Help getting bills resolved, Assisting and or referring patients in obtaining health insurance, etc, etc.,
Pros
Having a job with benefits
Poor management
Certified/Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 8, 2017
N/a not there for there employees and that make u pay union dues I have nothing more to say about this company I would not recommend a dog to work at hurley
What I learned
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 29, 2017
What I learned from this Trauma 1 Hospital was that it was to fast paced for me. And in my field of work you must learn what your fit will be in the operating room or you are no good for the patient or the facility you work for. That is why I chose a different path.
Pros
Constantly busy
Cons
short breaks
Management could care less
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 29, 2017
Management does not care about their employees. RN's have not had a raise in ~two years because of union/management contract negotiations, or lack of. PA/NP's have not had a raise for ~4 years. The management of this public hospital has gone as far as buying out the RN union president to have him negotiate against the contract he wrote. What once was a good place to work is now turning into an unknown and the RN's and midlevel providers are feeling the brunt of it.
Pros
union
Cons
No raise