Husch Blackwell Employee Reviews

Toxic micromanaging work environment
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2018
There is no career advancement options as long as you are staff and not an attorney.

Compensation is merely only average.

Most of the time you'll be asked to do overtime and it is approved - now this can be seen as a good thing but it also should give a hint about the workload.

Speaking of workload, it is very unfairly distributed. Experienced employees have much fewer work compared to new employees - meaning they dump all the complicated and hard work onto the new employees. I had 120+ lawyers assigned to me whereas the experienced billers had about 30. When sent a feedback about this their response is “this is what we are expecting from you” and they say the invoice amount generated is the same, which isn't true and this is a very shallow logic ignoring the other complications.

Managers and supervisors for the billing department are basically insatiable disasters. They are also unfortunately incredibly condescending and have no idea how to approach or talk with an adult professionally - and will annoyingly yell team members (literally shout at you) as if you're their little kids. This will give you an idea about the company culture - upper management yells at mid level management which then yells at the staff.

The office is incredibly outdated but they are working to improve that in a year.

There is constant micromanaging which means that you will have to report any action constantly and you are being monitored of your actions as well. Management focuses more on nitpicking than actually getting any job done. For example if you have a problem, they will focus on yelling
  more... at you and finding out how you are the only problem instead of approaching constructively to solve a problem. They will dedicate their entire work life reminding you of even the smallest problem.

Training is a mess. They have people with different styles training new employees which ends up with different methods of getting the same job done. The manual they provide is outdated and doesn't contain enough information. Once this surfaces they will yell at you for not following the procedure even though that is literally how you are trained to get something done.

E-mail traffic is horrible. You'll sometimes receive without exaggeration hundreds of e-mails a day most of which are requests and you are responsible of reading and tracking every single line of them.

There is no such thing as team work. There is no team. Everyone is forced to work isolated and collaborative work is discouraged. You are not supposed to help your co worker without reporting it to the managers or supervisors.

Communication is weak. It is easier to communicate with the attorneys than it is with management. There is open door policy but without the supervision of management you are not supposed to communicate with other departments and if you do you get yelled at.

Just avoid this firm at all costs. There is ridiculously nothing good about working here.
Pros
benefits, casual fridays
Cons
toxic environment, poor management
Not bad for an office job
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 21, 2017
Great people and good benefits. If you like working in an office or law office this place is pretty great! HR is wonderful and the attorneys in the corporate business section are very laid back and pretty awesome!
Great Law Firm
Procurement Clerk (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2017
This was my best job in the past three years. My supervisor appreciated my skills and knowledge with the tasks I was asked to do. I helped the Procurement Department with their duties and filing of paperwork in a timely manner. I had an amazing staff that trained and taught me well to assist them and Husch Blackwell with their goals.
Pros
Knowledge and enhancements with software and tasks.
Cons
Slow pace once in a while.
Great place to work.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 25, 2016
Loved position and people I worked with. We had great training and the firm was very team oriented and hired people who were mature and worked well with others.
Productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
A typical work day at Husch Blackwell is managing calendars, processing expenses, entering time weekly, coordinating client meetings and handling clients needs and executing small and large projects for upcoming cases.

I've learned to advance my skills in MS Word, Excel, Power point, outlook, Adobe PDF and also your professional mannerism will take you very far.

N/A

We all work as a team

I will say that my goal while working at this firm is to get the job done to ensure the attorneys, clients and guest are happy with our services.

I enjoy working the staff and getting together for office events and outings.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Pay, bonuses, holidays, moral
Number crunchers
Finance (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 22, 2016
The companies main focus is on number crunching and not quality work that is put out. Numbers don't tell the full picture of what's required of the employees. The work environment is stressful to say the lease and the department aren't team players.
Good Pay and Benefits; Rough Culture
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 21, 2016
Husch Blackwell has its benefits; the pay is good for staff members and there are nice perks like free meals and other events. There are also some very nice people who are dedicated to their jobs. On the other hand, it's also structured poorly and places too much emphasis on being a lawyer. Staff members are always treated like second-class citizens, no matter how much experience hey have.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Clayton Location
Cons
Organizational Structure, Lack of Leadership
fun ,teachable, caring
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 19, 2016
i learned how to do copy jobs, everyday was a good day to enjoy people,setting up parties, just hanging out with people. husch was more like family.
Pros
parties
Cons
health care
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2016
A well rounded office. Good staff, Good management. Offers classes to further your career. My co-workers work hard to with one another and make sure we all succeed in our daily task. We're a well oiled machine.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No Gym
A great work environment
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2014
The DC HB office cultivates a great work environment with a real focus on personal growth and team work. HB also boasts a fantastic internal training program for employees who want to better themselves. Additionally, HB gives outstanding employees recognition when an exceptional job is done, which is a perk. Note that the DC office is a satellite office, and as such has limited growth potential for staff members.
Free coffee and tea.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 22, 2013
Very nice people to work with, but most were laid off when one law firm was taken over by another law firm and too many employees. I enjoyed the legal field.
Pros
everyone did their job very well.
Cons
not enough work for everyone.
Very challenging environment.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 23, 2012
I love my co-workers. The environment is extremely micromanaged.